(shouting)

SMBX Community Contest 8 (DONE)

glitch4

SMBX Community Contest 8 (DONE)

Post by glitch4 »

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =49&t=3106

Well we know it's too early , but Valtteri announced another contest in SMBX Community! For more info, go to the link and you'll find it, and remember that the deadline of this is July 12th 22:00 GMT/UTC.

For this time, we had more rules then last time,oy. Good luck to everyone , who are really good at SMBX so we don't get lots of levels there.

(also don't complain about my grammar I already know that )
Last edited by glitch4 9 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Re: SMBX Community Level Contest 8

Post by yogui »

What the last one was three months ago, way too early for that.
And if they are going for lots of contest, they should make them different, use some gimmicks or themes. Contest with "do whatever you want" tends to favor the ones who know well the engine, while with a gimmick you can at least get some points if you respect it well. And it's boring to have the same type of contest every time.
Not like I was gonna participate or play the ToB game anyway but still.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

going to participate again, I think. The sudden "idea bursts" I usually have will come in handy.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

The thing about it being the same is that to them, making in a specific theme or adding in a gimmick makes it feel limited, and thus it's unfair. Not that it should unfair to make limitations of some sort, (because it's obviously to challenge the creator) but it's just different mentality.

also for goodness sake allow LunaDLL already
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Jayoshi wrote:also for goodness sake allow LunaDLL already
I don't think they are going to allow LunaDLL for any contest until there has been an episode that showcases it properly.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Maybe I can take the half-finished level I made for the last one and complete it for this one.

(this really is rather soon after the other one tough.)
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

wasn't it anually?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Oh no! I already posted my new tileset on the graphics thread. Now I have to come up with something different.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

just watch, by next year they'll start [x+1] before [x] has finished gathering entries
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

I'm really not understanding the argument over LunaDLL. I'll admit I know nothing about it, or SMBX in general really, but people mainly seem to be arguing that it gives those who know how to use it an unfair adavantage over those who don't. Well, yeah, you could also argue that people who know things about level design have an unfair advantage.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

And it's not because you know how to use LunaDLL that you know how to make interesting gimmicks with it. If you're just using LunaDLL to get points for using LunaDLL without making it good, then you're just fucking stupid.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Falky wrote:I'm really not understanding the argument over LunaDLL. I'll admit I know nothing about it, or SMBX in general really, but people mainly seem to be arguing that it gives those who know how to use it an unfair adavantage over those who don't. Well, yeah, you could also argue that people who know things about level design have an unfair advantage.
It's only an advantage when it's actually used well. Not every level will need to use it and in fact using it could easily result in a worse level than not using it. And even if someone doesn't know how to use it, it's fairly well documented and straight forward from what I've seen. Kinda not that difficult to learn.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Alice wrote:it's fairly well documented and straight forward from what I've seen. Kinda not that difficult to learn.
Yeah, but that involves reading a bit. Nobody wants to go through such strenuous trials to potentially create a much better level!
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Several people have argued for LunaDLL to be allowed, but the roadblock isn't "people don't know how to do it" as much as "it doesn't work on some peoples' PCs". Which I can actually respect as a valid argument. Sounds like it's going to be permitted in the next contest more than likely though.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

........ I don't really see why using LunaDLL would create an "advantage".

It's not like 3 years+ experience with SMBX isn't an advantage... not at all...

TL;DR: This contest sucks once again, like 7 times before.
ViolaCourtes

Post by ViolaCourtes »

Fluffi-dono wrote:It's not like 3 years+ experience with SMBX isn't an advantage... not at all...
Some people don't have a 3+ experience and build good levels compared to others.
Fluffi-dono wrote: TL;DR: This contest sucks once again, like 7 times before.
What.
Signature
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

It's like saying people aren't allowed to use ASM in a SMW contest. At least that's how I feel. The reason they gave about it not working for most people is a good reason. But saying it's an unfair advantage isn't.
Image Image
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

The combination of it being so soon and not allowing LunaDLL really puts a dampener on creativity. I just think they want as many towers as possible so they will reach Tower of Bias 10.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

They had like 5 contest last year, this is "just" the second this year.

The fascinating SMBX community...
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Ignoritus wrote:Several people have argued for LunaDLL to be allowed, but the roadblock isn't "people don't know how to do it" as much as "it doesn't work on some peoples' PCs". Which I can actually respect as a valid argument. Sounds like it's going to be permitted in the next contest more than likely though.
A bit more legitimate, yes, but still has its fallacies.

70% if the time that LunaDLL doesn't work, if not more, is because of bad antivirus programs. All people need to do to fix that is either find a way to configure their antivirus to allow it, or uninstall it and get a new one. People still have a tendency to simply outright blame LunaDLL for not working, though, and sometimes a few even get angry when LunaDLL is allowed in something community-based.

Case in point, you shouldn't disallow something just because a few people (this is what it's been pretty much so far, too) can't quite use something properly. That would be like saying that the community can't have a Wii U tournament with MK8 as one of the games because some people don't have a Wii U with MK8, and they also won't try to get a copy of it, either. Or, if it somehow doesn't work for them or something like that.

and if it's not clear enough why, then:

1. It's a minority issue. (not to be overly democratic here, but still)
2. It can also be fixed, with proper cooperation on the user's part.
3. It's a good element to have, whenever it works.
Last edited by Zha Hong Lang 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

My level is now done. Hopefully the added rules will improve the overall quality of the levels.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Fluffi-dono wrote:They had like 5 contest last year, this is "just" the second this year.

The fascinating SMBX community...
Actually, there were only four contests last year!!!

Anyway, the SMBX Community are used to having regular contests while you Talkhaus people probably are not, so it'll seem weird. I agree that the gap between Contest 7 and Contest 8 was pretty small; it should have been announced in July in my opinion, but whatever.

LunaDLL will probably be allowed whenever SMBX 1.3.0.2 is released, as that will include LunaDLL with the download so people should have no issue running it. That'll definitely be before the next contest.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Some peopple here are long time SMW users. It is a question about personal preference.
Wind

Post by Wind »

Willhart wrote:Some peopple here are long time SMW users. It is a question about personal preference.
SMW hacking != SMBX

Most of the people (me included) from the SMBX community don't know how to use Lunar Magic (well maybe they can but y' know it's much harder to use than SMBX so yeah and I'm too lazy to learn but w/e)
99% of the avatar made by Enjl
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: SMBX Community Contest 8

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Agreed. You should keep all shitposting to shitpost containment threads.
Shitposting about SMBXC vs talkhaus
Shitposting about SMW vs SMBX