(shouting)

Suggestion/ idea for a third JUMP game

Half a jump is still a jump
Slit08

Suggestion/ idea for a third JUMP game

Post by Slit08 »

Hey there,

it's been some time since I was active on these forums. After I have recently played through both Mice and JUMP 1/2 I was thinking a lot about a possible third game in the future and since I also really enjoyed the chocolate hack Mice with its many different costumes for Mario I had an idea that I wanted to write down on these forums. Of course that's just a suggestion from oneone who isn't in the development team of talkhaus and you can just discard this idea yet I at least wanted to present it to you.

First of all I want to say though that I'd love to see a third JUMP game being developed by you guys since the first two games, especially the second one were among the best hacks I have played. So I really hope there are plans for another game in this series.

Now as for the third part I'd like to see the game evolve even more. The second JUMP already evolved from the first in terms of design philosophy: It's not nearly as harsh as the first game, it has a fair difficulty curve and even the late game levels - while still hard as they should be - are totally playable, even for players without much experience. It's furthermore a culmination of everything that made the first game so great, distilled in a game with more focus on fun ideas and gimmicks.
While the JUMP series - at least in terms of visuals - is a more vanilla centric hack I'd love to see more chocolate stuff for the third game. What I mean by this is basically a mixture of the good old JUMP 2 levels and the levels from Mice. Just imagine JUMP 1/2 and Mice as one hack. I think there should still be more vanilla like levels but even as early as in world 2 they should be mixed with some crazier non-vanilla levels with beautiful non-Mario tilesets and cool gimmicks. I'd also love to see a few more custom bosses for the castles. Basically easier custom Mario bosses, that don't need to be super complicated in terms of attack patterns, but still not vanilla Koopalings or Big Boos.

Again this is just my idea or my vision of how a third game could evolve even more and be fresh and a bit different once again from the second game, yet still maintaining the identity of a JUMP game.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
alternateSMW

Re: Suggestion/ idea for a third JUMP game

Post by alternateSMW »

Hi, sorry to revive this old thread, especially since I'm new here but I'm also interested in seeing this happen. Perhaps not an outright sequel to JUMP but perhaps a spiritual successor? Would anyone else be interested in this? I understand I'm a nobody here (long time lurker of the community (communities if you include SMWCentral) and although I have never completed a hack, I have plenty Lunar Magic experience) but I would be interested in hosting this project. Just not sure how I would go about getting folks together on this...
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

We've thought about doing an A3MT that isn't as bonkers ambitious as A2MT and is more VIP-ish, but xfix was in the middle of buying a literal house last I heard, haven't spoken to him in a hot month or so
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago We've thought about doing an A3MT that isn't as bonkers ambitious as A2MT and is more VIP-ish, but xfix was in the middle of buying a literal house last I heard, haven't spoken to him in a hot month or so
While I'm quite interested in an A3MT, perhaps even contribute if possible and it picks up again, I would prefer to start something fresh with no overt connections to ASMT or JUMP.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I'm not sure that such a distinction is one that even exists in this context
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae, she

Post by Sugar »

alternateSMW wrote: 2 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago We've thought about doing an A3MT that isn't as bonkers ambitious as A2MT and is more VIP-ish, but xfix was in the middle of buying a literal house last I heard, haven't spoken to him in a hot month or so
While I'm quite interested in an A3MT, perhaps even contribute if possible and it picks up again, I would prefer to start something fresh with no overt connections to ASMT or JUMP.
After development hell that was JUMP 1/2, frankly I'm nor anyone in JUMP Team really are not interested in returning to JUMP or making a JUMP-like game with a different name. I fear that attempting to do this would let to excessive ambition which would lead to a ridiculous amounts of development time - see A2XT2.

That said, there is no need to do something similar to JUMP. I think a collab with no quality standards like ASMT, ASMBXT, VIP series or /v/orld could be interesting. I think in those collabs levels had plenty of charm, and you can tell that people put their heart into it. Sure, maybe things were more janky they needed to be, but that's part of the charm.

As for using Demo, I mean, Demo is pretty much a Talkhaus mascot. This game will be specifically for raocow (and raocow fans), I'm not trying to please everybody - if somebody who didn't hear about raocow won't enjoy this hack, that's fine by me. It's similar to how ASMT, ASMBXT, VIP series and /v/orld made a lot of references to their respective communities.

The hack will be called A3MT, mostly because I think it's a fine name; easy to pronounce (a three em tee), memorable, short, and unique. It also helps raocow mentioned something called "A3MT" a few times before. It could be called differently, but for a hack similar to ASMT following a naming convention of that game makes sense.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

xfix wrote: 2 years ago
alternateSMW wrote: 2 years ago While I'm quite interested in an A3MT, perhaps even contribute if possible and it picks up again, I would prefer to start something fresh with no overt connections to ASMT or JUMP.
After development hell that was JUMP 1/2, frankly I'm nor anyone in JUMP Team really are not interested in returning to JUMP or making a JUMP-like game with a different name. I fear that attempting to do this would let to excessive ambition which would lead to a ridiculous amounts of development time - see A2XT2.

That said, there is no need to do something similar to JUMP. I think a collab with no quality standards like ASMT, ASMBXT, VIP series or /v/orld could be interesting. I think in those collabs levels had plenty of charm, and you can tell that people put their heart into it. Sure, maybe things were more janky they needed to be, but that's part of the charm.
I honestly think having no stupid standards and just making levels for fun, maybe a boss if the best programmers have the mental and physical wellbeing for it, but not forcing it if they don't is the best angle to make a collab work, alongside good leadership, which is something projects like SMWCP2 lack, from what I've been informed.

The concept in the OP is already pushing it super hard like, "Now as for the third part I'd like to see the game evolve even more." "While the JUMP series - at least in terms of visuals - is a more vanilla centric hack I'd love to see more chocolate stuff for the third game." "I'd also love to see a few more custom bosses for the castles (...) still not vanilla Koopalings or Big Boos.", worldpeace iirc got health complications in part due to the stress of JUMPhalf's final bosses, are you sure you want it to become SMWCP2: VIP edition?
Image Image
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

Fair point, so how about a new one with lesser standards, no custom bosses?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

just add custom bosses if someone makes one. if someone doesn't make one, then there's none to add. it's that simple
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

^
Image Image
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

Exactly, there shouldn't be a large pressure to make a flashy boss that lasts too long anyway.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

alternateSMW wrote: 2 years ago Exactly, there shouldn't be a large pressure to make a flashy boss that lasts too long anyway.
The issue with bosses is multi-edged:
  • lack of indepth advice on how to make a good boss encounter as there is for standard mario levels
  • mario and luigi's moveset is designed primarily for platforming and not for combat, so there's not a lot you can do outside of jumping, throwing fireballs kicking shells or throwing blocks unless you code in a weapon for them
  • making a complex state machine that is fun to fight against in pure 65816 assembly is far less approachable than just pooping out some nice ass exgfx'd hills, ledges and cement blocks in lunar magic which you can do in like ~5 clicks, hundreds of literal children have done the latter even, much less (still a few, i admittedly started asm when i was like 17-18) have approached asm
I've thought about making a simple three or six hit boss (changes attack pattern every two hits) with the help of a pixel artist (all i can do is programmer art) and a fellow programmer (so I don't have to do it alone and we can bounce ideas back and forth between each other, I'm friends with Von Fahrenheit but there's some gaps in their skillset that I'm not sure I can fill ^^ ALSO EXTRA MARIO WORLD EXISTS), but only if the interest is there and I'll likely crib some special effects from Julius and other notable bosses (with my own code, most of theirs is likely inaccurate as shit) and commercial games so as to not waste too much time practicing coming up with new eye candy in the SNES' limitations, I'd personally like to do some basic 3D shapes like Chrono Trigger does with HDMA, but that could be biting off more than I can chew.
Image Image
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

there isnt going to ever be a jump 3, and if there were it probably wouldnt have anything to do w talkhaus, no jump team project has since jump1/2.
but y'all should go hard and make things regardless.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

call it "Triple Jump" if it ever happens
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

idol wrote: 2 years ago there isnt going to ever be a jump 3, and if there were it probably wouldnt have anything to do w talkhaus, no jump team project has since jump1/2.
So, should this forum be sent to the graveyard then?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago
idol wrote: 2 years ago there isnt going to ever be a jump 3, and if there were it probably wouldnt have anything to do w talkhaus, no jump team project has since jump1/2.
So, should this forum be sent to the graveyard then?
yeah, that's probably a good idea.
this is getting laundromatic