(shouting)

Multiperson sections

Half a jump is still a jump
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: Multiperson sections

Post by ft029 »

It's great. A maybe suggestion is to remove a few obstacles to make it shorter, but make the fish jumps required. As of now you can just jump over a lot of them or spinjump on a thwimp/podoboo. Maybe replace the thwimp with a bowser statue that breathes fire?? idk
Mosts Awards:
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

I forgot to submit this weeks ago
bowser room CD
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

more garbage (B8 and B9)

We should probably be wrapping up these levels soon.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Multiperson stage 075 (for RNG, probably too hard for Bowser's Castle, and thematically it fits RNG more).

(also, because I forgot to put AddMusic track list, the track is "7B Gaze Up at the Darkness.txt")

IPS: https://i.xfix.pw/pellmell.ips (not enough space on talkhaus, asdf?)
JUMP_00024.png
JUMP_00024.png (9.64 KiB) Viewed 11815 times
Attachments
sub75.zip
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Last edited by Sugar 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

era64 wrote:Multiperson stage 075
Bug report: If you hold left or right and run against a wall, on certain frames the switch status won't change when you jump.
dont wanna jihad no more
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

morsel/morceau wrote:
era64 wrote:Multiperson stage 075
Bug report: If you hold left or right and run against a wall, on certain frames the switch status won't change when you jump.
Wow, somehow managed to break this while moving ASM code to a custom sprite (due to UberASM hijack being in the wrong spot).

Fixed download. If it somehow managed to be very quickly inserted into base ROM, sprites/pellmell.asm was changed (no other changes done).

Thanks for playing, by the way :). I really liked your level, so I figured I would put a level based on M/M to have some of that JUMP feeling (sorta unfortunate that there is no level by you in JUMP 1/2, but oh well).
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

Can I claim a section for RNG?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Can I claim a section for RNG?
I'll give you 15B
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
MiracleWater

Post by MiracleWater »

Is there still room in either of the sections that I could claim?
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Sublevel D0 for RNG

I'll be honest here - I don't know if this type of level works on every hardware/emulator out there. I've tested it on two different PCs and with a bunch of different emulators but I can't test all of them, so...

Let's just say that if it turns out that it actually is inconsistent for anyone out there, I will naturally scrap it and come up with something else.
this is getting laundromatic
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

It's not a matter of emulators, it's the fact that Mario's pspeed is randomly generated between 5 values (i think). So sometimes the whole chain just randomly doesn't work. Also there's like no indication at the end that you need to divebomb the lotuses. So, uuuhh.... :v
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Pyro wrote:It's not a matter of emulators, it's the fact that Mario's pspeed is randomly generated between 5 values (i think). So sometimes the whole chain just randomly doesn't work. Also there's like no indication at the end that you need to divebomb the lotuses. So, uuuhh.... :v
Well that's annoying then. It still seemed pretty consistent to me (maybe one try in thirty wouldn't work), but I get that it's annoying when it doesn't work out. A possible solution would be to add a powerup and teleporter blocks throughout the entire level, but then it would be actually impossible to fail.

The end with the lava lotuses is automatic if you hold Y&B like the rest of the sequences.

Edit: It can't be one in five. It's way too consistent if that were the case. Even if it were one in ten it wouldn't make sense. But I realize that it doesn't actually matter what the variable is, as long as there is RNG evolved.

Maybe the real issue aren't pspeed variables but the exact spot were you jumped off? It's not pixel perfect or anything, but if you jumped off "too late" the chain would break at the green koopa I believe. At what exact spot did the chain break for you?
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I have a few things and ideas to note.

First chain, jump too late -> miss green parakoopa
otherwise, I think there's two frames that work...?

Second chain: I miss the paragoomba falling from the sky a lot. I think that one's frame perfect. Also, I missed the wall triangle once as well.
After going up the wall triangle, my initial reaction was to jump, which was incorrect--I should have just fell and jumped on the flying super koopa. To prevent such reactions, maybe put two munchers hanging from a ceiling pipe so that the player won't want to jump.

Dive bomb section: I never even knew there were lotuses because I killed them before anything happened, lol. Not an issue or anything.
Maybe put a few super koopas or something before the ultimate dive bomb?
After the dive bomb, you have to go through this weird one-tile gap that's reminiscent of Kaizo 1's feather trap. It's kind of funny and annoying... idk what to think about it.

Flying into the pipe: After exiting the pipe, Mario still has P-speed, so he continues to fly. Perhaps make some sort of gimmick out of that?
Mosts Awards:
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Version 2

The only thing that I'm unsure about is whether or not the kicked shell is actually more consistent than the falling paragoomba. I guess if it doesn't work I can always replace it with a super koopa or a regular winged koopa, they seem to be the most consistent...

I've added reset doors/pipes if the following elements fail: Green koopa at the first chain, wall triangle at the second chain, jumping off the wall at the second chain / gliding straight down once you get cape, first super koopa at the third chain. The last goomba at the first chain is the most inconsistent for me, which is why it's not necessary.

If any other element breaks for anyone else, please let me know (fixing stuff with reset doors is a lot easier than I initially thought).

(The lava lotuses are borrowed from VIP1, although the kaizo reference is very similar)
MiracleWater

Post by MiracleWater »

Made this. It was intended for the RNG section but might be too easy? Feedback appreciated.

EDIT: Fixing stuff
Last edited by MiracleWater 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

MiracleWater: 3 tries, takes about 120-150 SMW seconds to beat, which is slightly long, but whatever.

I have a lot to say about this room (well, first, it doesn't feel like a room. It feels like a gimmick that is going to be drawn out in every possible way in an actual level.)

Disabling spinjump is an unnecessary variable in my opinion.
The introductory part at the beginning is kind of weird. Perhaps instead drop Mario down a chute and have only the pipe at the bottom. Right now, the layout is open in an awkward way.
Bowser statue obstacle with vines: I always tanked this. Actually trying to do it without getting hurt is super precise.
I would be happier if the pipe shot you out immediately or something instead of having to memorize the timing of it. Avoiding the grinder feels really random to me. Also, the whole building a bridge concept in general lol. The on/off switch blocks in this obstacle serve no actual gameplay purpose either.
The next obstacle where you have to react quickly to the coin trails. I died once here because I couldn't react quickly enough. Maybe you can introduce some sort of thing where blocks that are offscreen are "reflected" so that it isn't blind. worldpeace did this in his vldc9 level and a lot of JUMP levels... but that might be too many gimmicks in one room. I saw that kind of applied in the next challenge with two grinders and the on/off block in the ceiling, where there's an on/off block on the ground that shows where the position of the ceiling one is. Also, that grinder that comes at you when you hit the switch is too fast. Give some reaction time.
Final obstacle: This is probably just me being dumb, but I blindly followed the coin trails both times, so I hit the switch twice lol. Maybe just have one switch. Also, you kind of have to learn the timing by trial and error (thankfully I had two hits).
Mosts Awards:
MiracleWater

Post by MiracleWater »

165 - RNG

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the room (mostly the first half) to fix some of the issues.
ft029 wrote: Disabling spinjump is an unnecessary variable in my opinion.
Disabling spin jumping was actually to facilitate some of the original obstacles (and to avoid a bug with the pipes). I completely changed the first half of the level and fixed the bug so no need for spin jumping to be disabled anymore.
ft029 wrote: The introductory part at the beginning is kind of weird. Perhaps instead drop Mario down a chute and have only the pipe at the bottom. Right now, the layout is open in an awkward way.
Cleaned up the starting to be less cluttered so figuring out the gimmick is easier.
ft029 wrote: Bowser statue obstacle with vines: I always tanked this. Actually trying to do it without getting hurt is super precise.
I personally never had a problem with the vines, but I had to change this obstacle (to something similar) anyway because spin jumping kind of defeats the challenge.
ft029 wrote: I would be happier if the pipe shot you out immediately or something instead of having to memorize the timing of it. Avoiding the grinder feels really random to me.
The game now freezes when you enter a pipe so that you're shot out of the pipe facing the same state as when you entered. I never really meant the gimmick to be timing based, I meant it to be more of a dodge the saws in midair kind of thing.
ft029 wrote: Also, the whole building a bridge concept in general lol. The on/off switch blocks in this obstacle serve no actual gameplay purpose either.
The next obstacle where you have to react quickly to the coin trails. I died once here because I couldn't react quickly enough. Maybe you can introduce some sort of thing where blocks that are offscreen are "reflected" so that it isn't blind. worldpeace did this in his vldc9 level and a lot of JUMP levels... but that might be too many gimmicks in one room. I saw that kind of applied in the next challenge with two grinders and the on/off block in the ceiling, where there's an on/off block on the ground that shows where the position of the ceiling one is. Also, that grinder that comes at you when you hit the switch is too fast. Give some reaction time.
Final obstacle: This is probably just me being dumb, but I blindly followed the coin trails both times, so I hit the switch twice lol. Maybe just have one switch. Also, you kind of have to learn the timing by trial and error (thankfully I had two hits).
Most of this stuff has been fixed or replaced with something different.
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

added one more reset pipe to d0. hopefully dying in my sublevel can now be contained to a minimum

download is the same as for level 15
MiracleWater

Post by MiracleWater »

Made this for RNG.
Thanks idol for ripping the Zinger GFX.
Attachments
191 - RNG.zip
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

op is a mess, here are the current stats. green is ft
Bowser:
19 rooms, 3 hubs

inserted
88 ---- Pyro (sidescrolling vine survival) -lots of sprites don't spawn here. I suggest getting rid of falling platforms and making the vines 2 tiles wide or replace with 2 tile wide nets
AF ---- yogui (fish cannons) -very good
C4 ---- ft029 (layer 2 smash + scrolling pipes) -newest version not inserted
C5 ---- ft029 (falling with spike ceiling) -replace with magikoopa room
C6 ---- ft029 (angel blocks) -newest version not inserted
B6 ---- Pyro (bowling balls) -very good
BB ---- Lazy (gravel garden) -very good
BD ---- Lazy (pendulum) -very good, maybe a bit too difficult

BF ---- ft029 (hub) -newest version not inserted
114 ---- Pyro (hub 1) -needs polish

not inserted/not submitted
?? ---- mellonpizza (water) -very good
?? ---- mellonpizza (timed flames) -very good, although sometimes the flames are a bit wonky. not an issue though
?? ---- idol (fast autoscroll) -no one has tested this yet
177 ---- Lazy (nitro betrayal ripoff) -very good
?? ---- ft029 (magikoopa survival)
CC ---- ft029 + lolyoshi (no jumping sometimes) -it's great
1D4 ---- Sixcorby (thwomp break) -very good
CF ---- lolyoshi (reverse and conveyors)
?? ---- idol (vines)
?? ---- mellonpizza (snow fallin)

?? ---- ft029 (hub)
RNG:
20 rooms, 3 mini shattered?

inserted
75 ---- GlitchMr (pell mell) (use one of the redesigned versions?) -I prefer lolyoshi's version
B9 ---- Pyro (venus fire plant) -very good
BC ---- Lazy (ghost autoscroll) -very good
CB ---- ft029 (line guides) -newest not inserted. also the design is weird
CE ---- lolyoshi (cape) (move to mini shattered dreams?) -quite difficult but very good otherwise. I would get rid of last disco setup because I hate disco
C8 ---- handfist (mega mole munchers) (scrap?) -it's okay. A bit long though
D0 ---- Ryrir (koopa jumps) -it's good.
E7 ---- Pyro (shinbison) (redesign?) -redesign, it's okay
190 --- FrozenQuills (toothpaste colors layer 2 smash) -very good
CD ---- lolyoshi (thwomp) (move to mini shattered dreams?) -very good
165 --- MiracleWater (cannons) -okay, not polished

not inserted/not submitted
19b&9B - Lazy (falling room) -very good level. Maybe put teleport blocks at the very end of the first room instead of a door?
166 --- Lazy (pertubating paste x bootstrapped) -this is probably one of my favorites
178 ---- Lazy (one sunday night of semiramis) -if you scrap this I will be on strike
?? ---- ft (baseball bat x brick joke) -this is great
?? ---- GlitchMr (nonillusiyellow) -very good
191 --- MiracleWater (bees) -very good
?? ---- idol (autoscroll) (move to mini shattered dreams?) -no one has tested this yet
?? ---- Lazy (miracle of birth) (move to mini shattered dreams?)
?? ---- ft (water lava + yoshi) -very good
?? ---- Chosentw0 & Rockythetigre (matterhorn gimmick)
?? ---- Sixcorby (red dolphin)
?? ---- idol (on off 1f0)

tell me if I forgot a room

-very good
Last edited by Lazy_ 6 years ago, edited 14 times in total.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

very good
Mosts Awards:
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »