(shouting)

[105] Curse of Discontinuity

Half a jump is still a jump
worldpeace125

[105] Curse of Discontinuity

Post by worldpeace125 »

curse of discontinuity_00000.png
curse of discontinuity_00000.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
A ghost house level aimed at a midgame difficulty. 2 exits and no dragon coins.
Any feedback including proofread is welcome!

The name comes from curse of dimensionality, so it's a not scary thing.

edit: added missing message box texts. moved the sublevel 5D to 62.
Attachments
curse of discontinuity.zip
(517.12 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
worldpeace125

Re: [105] Curse of Discontinuity

Post by worldpeace125 »

Updated the level. Thanks to lolyoshi, ft029, and Flan for giving feedbacks!

Level changes:
- disabled the timer
- slightly modified the level's structure
If your 1st death is after triggering 1up checkpoint, you will encounter two doors at the midway entrance without any information of their destinations. So I moved one of the doors to another place.
- made layer 2 smash in the vine section slower
- made a boss battle and (sort of) a story, because it seemed the previous version ended abruptly without being progressive.
(You're fighting with a big boo boss. When his HP remains only 1, he steals mario's remote control so mario cannot kill him anymore. Mario decides to escape from the house.)

Perilous pier reference. The boss hp is shown in the hud, like how it was done in house of the holy.
[attachment=1]JUMP_00001.png[/attachment]

and peekaboo reference
[attachment=0]JUMP_00002.png[/attachment]

- added a pseudo retry feature in the crazy layer 2 room

A couple of global patches are included as well.

- dynamic coin SFX channel: the coin sfx won't screw up the jump sfx. This patch has been used since JUMP 1.

- extra messages: allows you to use more than two messages for each level. These extra messages are inserted into a new area of ROM, whereas the previous method exploited unused ones in other levels. The current method is more stable for the calculation of dragon coin/midway/etc. that uses $13BF.
* will be changed depending on mellonpizza's extension patch.
Attachments
JUMP_00002.png
JUMP_00002.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
JUMP_00001.png
JUMP_00001.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
curse of discontinuity ver2.zip
(640.76 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

It's a great level (of course!), particularly the boo fight. The only thing I can find to criticise is the use of the 1-up checkpoints: it is possible (not likely of course) that you won't spawn the 1-up as you aren't forced to go through them all in exact order (you can stop at 3, go touch 2 again then forward).
dont wanna jihad no more
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

morsel/morceau wrote:It's a great level (of course!), particularly the boo fight. The only thing I can find to criticise is the use of the 1-up checkpoints: it is possible (not likely of course) that you won't spawn the 1-up as you aren't forced to go through them all in exact order (you can stop at 3, go touch 2 again then forward).
Thanks! By the way would you mind the copy-pasted phrase from you? I thought it'd be cool to see good old things in the sequel, but I should've asked before doing this. I apologize.
I somehow found the original pufferfish message funny, with imagining how he would actually do so. But if it doesn't seem to be a good idea, I'm gonna change it to something like "oh no your battery is running out due to your abuse."(I remember ft029 mentioned that battery thing on lolyoshi's stream)
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

No I don't mind. I thought it was funny, and cool to interlock the series like that.
dont wanna jihad no more