(shouting)

[Level 20] This level is about Plants and Pipes

Half a jump is still a jump
Nao
Pronouns: he

[Level 20] This level is about Plants and Pipes

Post by Nao »

(working title)

So yeah even though my claims are not added to the lists yet I'll just assume I can make the level so here we go :D This level is build purely around the jumping piranha plants, because I have a lot of ideas what to do with them and I think they make for an interesting, challenging level. The first part takes place in a forest (well the whole level is made out of pipes because I like simplicity, however the background is forest-y) where I first introduce a basic concept of the level which is spinjumping on the jumping piranha plants to reach higher places. Then up until the midpoint there is a collection of obstacles involving, once again, plants.

One of the first obstacles of the game that requires you to spinjump on a piranha to get up.

Here you need to use the piranhas to get down safely, as it cannot be seen where there is ground. I might redraw the goalpost arrow to show an "A" and put it in such situations so the player knows for sure that they need to spinjump here (even though it should be quite obvious with the plants showing up already... I dunno).

That green pipe down there is a moving pipe. You need the piranha to drop into the pipe when it's at its highest position, only then you will reach the yoshi coin when spinjumping on the plant (atleast that's intended here, I might have to move the yoshi coin a bit more upwards).

This obstacle is inspired by a level of VIP 1 (even though the execution there was pretty ehh). These are invisible coin blocks by the way, that also got introduced a screen earlier. I think this obstacle is interesting because there are multiple ways to get through it savely, depending on playing style.

I might vary the colors of the pipes, however I don't like to distract from the level with its visuals since it requires a lot of thinking and focus (maybe not so much right now but it definitely will require that later) and rainbow pipes are not the most subtle thing to put into a level. Anyway that's what's done for now.

The part after the midway point will be split in two, but both will take place in vertical sublevels. The first part will be a short puzzle involving horizontally moving layer2-pipes (maybe you can already guess what it will be like), the second part will be a race against a piranha plant that's constantly jumping upwards from pipe to pipe.

I feel like my posts are too text-heavy compared to most people posting in these forums, the reason is that I like to explain my thoughts behind my creations clearly. If you find it annoying please don't be afraid to tell me, so I will keep my next posts short and quick to read, lmao. Also I'd appreciate feedback if you can already give feedback from those few screenshots.
aterraformer

Re: [Level 20] This level is about Plants and Pipes

Post by aterraformer »

I think this is a really nice idea. I always enjoy simple (looking) pipe levels like this. That's fine with me that you type a lot, I just wish I had more to say in return. Looking forward to playing it.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.