Re: JUMP½

Post by lolyoshi »

claiming level 101
Secondary Exit 2 to A
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

era64 wrote:early game mountain level
hahaha wut? No. no. Well maybe the first half. I accept and really liked the first half. This started as such a goofy level. I really liked the reference to 2-1 of VIP1 in the first screen. No issues really. Then the second half. First off, don't bother giving a mushroom. I cannot duck jump into the p-balloon so it is literally a trap. The second room overall is much too cluttered with sprites. I don't mind learning by dying and I do rather like p-balloon sections but this was just painful. I feel learn by dying should definitely be used in moderation. My biggest issue was screen 8 into 7. I got to a point where it was the only place I was dying and I was pushing against the wall at points. That's not good, no one should have that much intimate knowledge beyond yourself and maybe a speedrunner. When you enter 8, you got the chuck up top. You can't stop it or he clips into you. You go underneath, you got a green koopa flying at your speed. You still have baseballs flung so when you have a chuck at the bottom and middle, it is just way too precise to sneak in through. At this point in the level, after this much learn by dying. The closest I got was flying underneath but even then I had issues. I guess I should have kept trying that but when I'm going to tell you to change the section anyway, I don't feel it is necessary. I really feel this should be a shorter section and you should go back and do more with your original gimmick.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Claiming: Level 3, Sublevel 26, 27, Map16 3A1-3AF, 4800-482F, ExGFX 8E, 8F, and 90.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Claiming Sublevel A1 and A2
and claiming secondary exits 10, 11 and 12
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Claiming level 10, sublevel 28, music slots 34/35, Secondary exits B/C.

Can a custom sprite be something made of vanilla elements in a new way? Like make something that normally doesn't go on a line guide on one (Cannon, goomba, ect) for something along the lines of mario maker. Maybe that's too chocolate.

Also will there be screen scrolling pipes or no
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
LHB

Post by LHB »

Is there a Skype chat or IRC channel for this?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

mellonpizza wrote:something that normally doesn't go on a line guide on one (Cannon, goomba, ect)
I think that should be fine.
mellonpizza wrote:Also will there be screen scrolling pipes or no
Yes but I remember there being an issue with them in JUMP. I don't remember the exact problem, the solution, or what version we used so if you know, go right ahead.
LHB wrote:Is there a Skype chat or IRC channel for this?
I could make a skype group. I'm not really interested in IRC. If you want in, you could tell me here or PM me your info.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

claiming
Level E
Sublevel A3
Secondary Exit 13
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
LHB

Post by LHB »

Uhh does anyone want to work on the second half of my level? I'm going to work on the secret path, but don't really have any ideas for the second half of the normal path. The theme is a desert with bullets and bombs, but you don't have to stick with that theme for the rest of the level (in fact, I think it would be cool to have kind of a different feel for the second half, kind of like how that desert castle in VIP 3 has 2 very different paths for the second half).
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

LHB wrote:Uhh does anyone want to work on the second half of my level? I'm going to work on the secret path, but don't really have any ideas for the second half of the normal path. The theme is a desert with bullets and bombs, but you don't have to stick with that theme for the rest of the level (in fact, I think it would be cool to have kind of a different feel for the second half, kind of like how that desert castle in VIP 3 has 2 very different paths for the second half).
When you finish, I'll have a look see. Maybe I will give it a go. A desert to castle level does seem cool.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP½ Main Discussion, Rules and Base ROM

Post by raocow »

let's say that a freak storm changes my brain chemistry and I'm able to design with lunar magic again. Is there some kind of time limit/deadline thing at all as of yet?

I say this because I regret not having a tiny place in Jump :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Basically not two years from now? Like a year I guess, I don't really know. I'll consider making a deadline once I feel the project is nearing completion anyone and I need to place a fire under people's (myself included) butts. That said, hoping for the brain chemistry change thing! Don't know a lot of how that works, wish I did.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

One thing I wonder:

You wrote that this game is supposed to be like the early VIPs (just overall better level design I guess), namely VIP 1 - 3. raocow is currently playing VIP 2 and even though most levels use vanilla graphics there are a few in almost every world (at least one) that uses different tilesets from other games. Let's take VIP 2 for example: In world 2 there's been that Ghost House that used a custom background with the pillars and the Buddha statues, plus there's been the railway level. World 3 had the DKC rollercoaster level, the time stop level with Crystal Snail tileset and background and the awesome looking Water Temple. World 5 had an autoscrolling level with Yoshi's Island graphics and the recently played Abuse of the Abyss. There are a few select levels in VIP 2 onwards that use custom visuals and tilesets and honestly that's always been a big strength of the VIP series, the fact that after some good ol' silly vanilla levels you'd find yourself in an awesome looking level with chocolate elements (or visuals).

Plus JUMP already used almost entirely vanilla levels with 2 or 3 exceptions throughout the entire game. :)

Of course it's your decision alone, I just wondered what the reason for only Mario vanilla tilesets being used is
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

To me, those with vanilla or SMAS graphics are a tad more memorable for me I guess. You're absolutely right though. It is just my arbitrary vision. Honestly, I'm not sure why I thought JUMP had more custom graphics lol
Rockythetigre

Post by Rockythetigre »

I'd absolutely like to help out, although I don't really understand the gimmick of submitting a 'YouTube/VIP'-inspired level.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Rockythetigre wrote:I'd absolutely like to help out, although I don't really understand the gimmick of submitting a 'YouTube/VIP'-inspired level.
Best I can say is like, amateurish. The thing with Super Mario World is that it shines when just being itself, not a full on different game. That's been a common thing lately on the smoocentral is that they try to make a full on new game to surpass the original. All these fancy bells and whistles just to make a thing that ultimately isn't as fun or just doesn't fit at all. Back when Lunar Magic was more limited, people had nothing better to do but focus on the level design. Even if it wasn't the most solid and plenty jank, it was still (in my opinion) more interesting. Probably why I tend to find Japanese hacks more interesting sometimes. They tend to focus on both if not just the level design.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Does anyone know if the ports Sui made for Sui Mario are available somewhere?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

LHB wrote:Does anyone know if the ports Sui made for Sui Mario are available somewhere?
I took a peak around some Japanese sites and used a little Way Back Machine but didn't come across anything. It is very possible they are somewhere else though.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

They were released with the hacks. In case you can't find them...
Attachments
SUI.rar
(25.08 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
dont wanna jihad no more
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

Joples told me to come here and claim a level spot?! I don't know what I'm doing, but damn it I'll try! :lol:
(He's going to help me to learn how to use Lunar Magic and make not-terrible levels, but as of now I know nothing, so please shout at me/kick me out if necessary!)
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

QubicTom wrote:Joples told me to come here and claim a level spot?! I don't know what I'm doing, but damn it I'll try! :lol:
(He's going to help me to learn how to use Lunar Magic and make not-terrible levels, but as of now I know nothing, so please shout at me/kick me out if necessary!)
Glad to see you're getting involved. Giving you level 8.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Attaching the first half of my level here if anyone wants to make a second half for it. I will revise this later, but just want to get it out there.

Also, is there any way to make level authors not available until after you enter the stage? In my opinion, knowing the author before you enter the stage kind of ruins the fun of not knowing what to expect before entering a stage.
Attachments
Desert Artillery Range.zip
(158.36 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

I disagree

Part of the fun of playing JUMP was (for me) to be like "oh wow this level was made by this guy, this is going to be so good"

Besides, if you don't want to know the author you just don't have to press the start button? Or only press it after you have already beaten the level?

By making the info about the level author available from the start you are giving the player a choice if they want to know that information or not - by limiting the access to the information you are taking away that choice for no good reason.
this is getting laundromatic
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Ryrir wrote:"oh wow this level was made by this guy, this is going to be so good"
lmao that's not what I was thinking but okay :D
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

NEW BASE ROM IS OUT
I included a potentially overthought changelog and may have missed a few things to keep everyone up to date. Big changes include added levels, a few new sprites/blocks, no more sprite tile limits, exgfx and SMB3 scrolly pipes! I had to use the GreenHammerBro version to continue just using GPS so if anyone has an issue on speed, there seems to be an option to change that. Feel free to tinker around, I sure didn't! :lol:
LHB wrote:Attaching the first half of my level here if anyone wants to make a second half for it. I will revise this later, but just want to get it out there.

Also, is there any way to make level authors not available until after you enter the stage? In my opinion, knowing the author before you enter the stage kind of ruins the fun of not knowing what to expect before entering a stage.
I thought your halfalevel was pretty neat. No issues I came across. Maybe I will finish it but anyone else is welcome to it. I understand your idea but it may make it more complicated and it is well over my head. If that does happen though, maybe the music played in the stage could show up too. It would add an extra layer of complication to show only once the songs plays though. Music can be spoilers too.