(shouting)

JUMP½ Main Discussion, Rules and Base ROM

Half a jump is still a jump
aterraformer

JUMP½ Main Discussion, Rules and Base ROM

Post by aterraformer »

-Base Rom v0.12 (4/19/2016)-
Here

Obligatory "inspired by a thing raocow's playing currently at the time of this post" thread. Hey, I want to take another stab at a collab. This isn't a true sequel, or else I would call it JUMP2. If worldpeace ever wants, he can have that name trademark thing as the paths diverge. I'm going for something simpler this time around, something that won't go over my head and wear me out. Something much closer to my original idea for JUMP. More jank, maybe ever more standards. What'dya think? Any takers?

Please make a new thread for each submitted level(s). Thank you.

-Guidelines-
1) VIP inspired levels. Closer to 1-3. Damn near Youtube levels, but not quite (wrote this like 2 days ago. ehhh idk lol). The original JUMP posts were "Make a Youtube Level" after all.
2) Test. Test. Test again. Without tools, always. Pretend they don't exist. Use a competent emulator (SNES9x v1.53, BizHawk, higan).
3) The accepting and insertion process will be a little different now. I won't insert until I beat them entirely and everything myself and others critize is fixed.
4) Vanilla. Mostly vanilla. SNES Mario. No Yoshi's Island allowed though. My original idea was later game SMAS graphics. Something like that. More SMB1+3, SMB2 ice and desert only. This is where I get all overly controlling o.c.d. Sorry. Included with the base rom is lots of resources from those games with only SMB3 Underground FG+BG actually inserted. I was going to form a base rom with all vanilla plus all SMB1+3 and the two SMB2 graphics but lolyoshi brought to my attention the old.. "classic" ports included with JUMP that went unused. Woulda been a lot of work haha. No rules on palettes, go crazy. So long as they don't hurt eyes at least.
5) Sprite changes, VIP/ASMT style. This was a very late idea for JUMP and would have caused too much delay. I would like all the enemies and such (not really p-switches or power ups necessarily) changed to something cool. Thinking maybe American-style memes (i.e. for Banzai Bill, Mobike Yoshi (lolyoshi) for Yoshi and the Dragon Coins). Unfortunately, I have zero graphical skill, so there's that.
6) SMAS: SMB1+3 custom sprites allowed.
7) Maybe blocks beyond teleport/donut block? Kind of not sure for this one. Would be really neat for a Super Demo World style "stuff in power up box" type deal that even VIP1 did a little. I was looking at (probably) the block and I didn't really want to think about that just yet.
8) If you want a sprite or block, ask first. The sprites I left in ST (or added) are what I am allowing. I'll work with you from there.
9) Custom music optimal. If you feel it improves your level, go for it. Same for vanilla music. Old, "broken", Japanese, Carol ports would be nice. Stuff from like VIP3-5, Yeah!!!, etc.
10) Dragon coin counter preset (0-5 allowed) but no ultimate prize. Sorry, this was part of the "going over my head" that JUMP did.
11) uberASM is there but don't overuse it. kthnx
12) There will be at least one multiperson level like JUMP. Beyond Bowser's Castle, I would like to invite people to do relay levels like Jolpe and I are working on. Basically we each do a screen and swap the level file between each other, building onto the previous.
13) From original JUMP rules: "Secret exits shall not exist at the end of the level unless you have two completely different paths. This includes putting the key at the end and dragging it through the level backwards."
14) Uhh not really a guideline but the included patch doesn't work lol. I took the existing JUMP patch, deleted some things, added some and organized to make something unusable. Would be pretty cool if someone could just take a look and see what I did wrong but worldpeace125 will hopefully give it a look sometime when he is less busy.
NEW15) No super dark levels with the light but you can't see anything past the light. If you're going to do that, make it look like the last room of Bowser's Castle in vanilla SMW (or the first room of Bowser's Backdoor).
NEW16) Switch block usage is encouraged
NEW17) Nearing the end of the project, votes will be taken for problematic or adding/removing switch blocks for levels that the authors aren't around anymore.
NEW18) Please don't use secondary exits unless you claim them and intend on actually using them. Meaning if you're using something other than the base rom to make a level, please make sure you actually clear out any unused secondary exits from your levels and sublevels.

-Overworld-
For the person(s) willing to overtake the map, I have included some SMB3 graphics, specifically for layer 1. I would really like them used with the rest vanilla. That being said, really don't want the overworld actually being made until the levels are done so we don't have the issues we did with JUMP. This is just a guideline for the potentially nonexistent difficulty curve and to be edited as we go.
0) lolyoshi's level outside, somewhere grassy. Looking like world 1 is going to be just a grassland subtly but then after you beat the level, you go into a cave instead
1) Cave (Submap)
2) Mountains (Main OW)
3) ???
4) Desert (Maybe)
5) Return to the Caves (elevated path) for the first half or so
6) Something Bowser related
7) Star/Special
As you can see, scope of the project is smaller. However, this is definitely subject to change if I get enough acceptable entries.

-Changelog-
v0.05 (4/2/2016) Changes:
v0.05 (4/2/2016) Changes:
-Inserted Boo Stream Up sprite
-Inserted Grenade Man music
-Inserted ExGFX 92, 93
-Inserted Map16 700
-Inserted levels 4, 29, 49
-Inserted Mushroom Only in Ghost House block
-Inserted vertical autoscroll (among other things) sprite
-Updated level 10C
-Inserted levels 57, 58, 113
-Updated level 102
-Inserted Galaxy Tune music
-Updated levels 30-36 and 108
-Updated SMB3 screen scroll pipes (mellonpizza)
-Inserted level 104, 12F
-Inserted Super Nazo Puyo - Arle vs. Rulue music
-Updated 12F, 93, B
-Inserted ExGFXCC, CD, 105, B3-B6, C7, BA-BC, B9, C8, C9, CE
-Inserted baseball bat and flaming baseball sprite
-Inserted map16 6AA-6AF, 670-68F, 514, 515
-Inserted levels C, 4E, 4F, 5A-5C, 62, 105, 1D, 4A, 4B, 59, 50, 51, 110
-Enabled FastROM
-Inserted Ghost (Switch) music
-Inserted Map16 page 1A row 1, page 6 6D-6F 90-A9, page 49 0-70
-Inserted levels 18, 13A, 13E, 13F, 120, 7, 2D-2F
-Inserted Kirby's Block Ball - Grassland music
-Inserted Map16 page 11, page 42
-Inserted celestial music
-Inserted Tower of Heaven - Indignant Divinity music
-Inserted extradisco and interaction_fast patch
-Inserted noyoshipipevertical block
-Inserted Map16 page 25
-Inserted CSubworld music
-Inserted poison sprite
-Updated levels 1D, 4A, 4B, 59
-Updated asar_patch
-Inserted floating spike ball sprites
v0.04 (3/3/2016) Changes:
-Updated 10A
-Inserted levels 10B, 3B
-Inserted ExGFXA7,A8
-Inserted Tail Cave and Rainbow Route music
-Inserted Giygas is Fatally Wounded!, Title (Giygas), Miss (Intro) music
-Inserted Final Fantasy Legends 2 - Boss music
-Inserted ExGFX 9F, A0, 1AD, 1AE
-Inserted levels 40, 43, 109
-Inserted map16 pages 6, 54
-Inserted SMB3 Bricks
-Updated level 101
-Inserted Ys III - Ballacetine Castle music
-Inserted map16 3E3
-Inserted levels 17, 44
-Inserted levels 45, 46, 10C
-Inserted map16 505-512
-Inserted level B and 93
-Updated asar_patch
-Inserted start menu info patch
-Inserted author display patch
-Inserted ExGFXB7 and B8
v0.03 (2/22/2016) Changes:
-Inserted levels 10A and 140
-Inserted Piano (with toilet) music
-Applied asar_patch
-Inserted Vertical Bill, Fire Chomp and Fire Chomp Flame
-Inserted ExGFX A1, A2, A3, A4
-Inserted Map16 page B
-Inserted Don't Say "Lazy" music
-Inserted ExGFX A5, A6
-Inserted Map16 page 45
-Updated level 102
-Updated level 101
-Inserted door flush block
-Inserted level 16
-Inserted map16 page 11 rows 0 and 1
-Inserted level 13B, 13C, 13D, 12A, 12B, 2B
-Inserted drugs blocks and sprite
v0.02 (2/11/16) Changes:
-Added name to 106
-Added name to 12A
-Inserted Pokemon RSE - Heavy Rain music
-Inserted Balloon Fight - Balloon Trip music
-Inserted ExGFX8B to 8D
-Inserted levels 0D3, 002, and 025
-Added name to 002
-Added name and text to 12B
-Inserted level F
-Added name to F
-Inserted levels 106, A1, and A2
-Inserted map16 3C0 to 3DC
-Inserted OffSolid, OnSolid, and MarioOnlyPass
-Inserted level 101
-Inserted ExGFX91
-Inserted Map16 3E0-3E2, 3F0-3F2
-Added name and text to 101
-Updated level 101
-Inserted ExGFX 95 to 99, 1AF
-Inserted SMWSDIS_3D_ripvanfish, vertical_boo_stream, horizontal_boo_stream
-Inserted Map16 504, page 6 row 0, and 479D to 47DA
-Inserted levels 30-36, 108
-Added level name for 108
-Inserted Super Mario Maker - SMB Ghost House music
-Inserted ExGFX 9A and 9B
-Inserted Map16 page 8 all rows 0-3 and 4200-422E
-Inserted teleport block
-Inserted classic goomba and SMB3 moving cloud
-Inserted SMB3 Overworld 1 and 2 music
-Inserted diagonal bill
-Added level name for 3 (don't fit yet)
-Patched No More Sprite Tile Limits
-Inserted map16 page 9
-Replaced graphic files 14 and 15
-Inserted ExGFX 9D
-Inserted SMB3 Screen Scrolling Pipes to Gamemode code 14 in uberASM
-Inserted Ape Escape - Peak Point Matrix and VIP7 music
-Inserted ExGFX 8F, 90, 9E
-Added level name for 13B
-Inserted SMB3 screen scrolling pipes blocks page 9
-Applied 7E0071_fix patch
Assuming this doesn't stay in dev hell for the next 2 years, JUMPX will be next. I already have someone who I will be porting his SMBX level to Lunar Magic
Last edited by aterraformer 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Heraga

Re: JUMP½

Post by Heraga »

Yeah, sure, why not.

Just a question: will the ASM that WorldPeace made for JUMP (Drangon Coin Save, L3 OW Message Boxes that tell who made the level, ect) be used?
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Huh. Maybe I will finally be able to submit something for this.
Thinking about it, I actually have some unreleased youtube-levels somewhere on my hard drive from back in the day (2008/9? - so definitely youtube material), so if this is what you're looking for, I might go search them

What's the scope you're looking for with this? Will it be super long, like JUMP or somewhat shorter?

Also, are there any plans for a "legitimate" JUMP2?
this is getting laundromatic
Sugar
Pronouns: fae, she

Post by Sugar »

I'm not sure if that's a correct place for this, but I made a VIP-style level.

I'm worried it may be too difficult, but hey, I tried to make it challenging.

(attachment contains IPS, and files needed to include this in a ROM)

Uses level 12A and music 32. Level name is "7.8".
Attachments
7.8.zip
(330.18 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Claimeroni Level F
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Claiming level 1 and 1FF
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Nin wrote:will the ASM that WorldPeace made for JUMP (Drangon Coin Save, L3 OW Message Boxes that tell who made the level, ect) be used?
I hope so! At the very least dragon coin save for no real reason since it doesn't reward anything except a shiny coin on the overworld. For the OW Message Boxes, not sure. Maybe not as fancy. I mainly want the start button on the overworld to save.
Ryrir wrote:What's the scope you're looking for with this? Will it be super long, like JUMP or somewhat shorter?
Probably shorter but that all depends of the amount of levels I get and how many are usable really. I believe the newest LM can do 125 vanilla so that's max again.
Ryrir wrote:Also, are there any plans for a "legitimate" JUMP2?
No. Like I said, that project can be worldpeace's if he ever decides. I would have to suddenly get super good at ASM to want to try to take on that sort of thing again.
era64 wrote:I'm worried it may be too difficult
Yeah, the level is interesting and very fitting but could use some work. Took me almost 40 lives to get kaizo trapped so I think I'll leave it at that. I know it must have to do with a layer scroll, but I rushed. First off, I had a lot of weird (probably crush) deaths. Can't really fault that due to the nature of the level. It's a little tough to pinpoint the locations of this level! By screen 1/2 (in LM at least) I don't really like the muncher spam section. I feel I had more deaths than I should have and especially just before the power up, wasn't a fan. There is a lot of little unclear bits but for the most part nothing major. It's kind of hilarious how the midpoint is placed before the urchins. Never designed a level like this so it looks funky to me. Well that part with the two urchins and two fish, kind of feel it traps the player a bit. I finally got past it going slower but that goes back to the unclearness. I really didn't like the wall of fish after that either. I only saw it once but I didn't really see a way past besides if I kept that fireflower.

Second half, ugh. I would consider redoing it entirely. Like just the first jump even. I like it but it tends to push you off a lot and then immediate fish ambush. Then the section I disliked the most. I will say, after "figuring it out" a bit it was interesting but I really don't think it should stay that way. We've got the muncher spam again but also two rip van fish. Not to mention you absolutely have to mess with the scrolling in order to get anywhere. Besides unclearness, the last little bit isn't too bad. That is until the kaizo trap. Now I know it was presented and is clear but maaaan after a level like this, that was really cruel. I guess you could argue already first level and I didn't beat it but it would have only taken me a few more lives to get there and scroll anyway. Not to mention I kind of think it should go anyway. I dunno, I guess if the level gets toned enough it wouldn't be too bad.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this^ be prepared for this. Will be written better when I can actually specify the screens.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Also, I assume there will be no plot like the first game or any overly complex ASM-y final boss?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Nin wrote:Also, I assume there will be no plot like the first game or any overly complex ASM-y final boss?
No plot, no ASM-y final boss. Yep.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

aterraformer wrote:First off, I had a lot of weird (probably crush) deaths. Can't really fault that due to the nature of the level.
Yeah, those things work weirdly. Fixed one spot (on screen 03 prim) where standing would most likely kill you (by blocking the path from the left). However, screen scrolling tends to kill you if you do it incorrectly, I tried to avoid that however.
aterraformer wrote:It's a little tough to pinpoint the locations of this level!
I got really confused while making this level, so I don't blame you. What Lunar Magic shows is really confusing (keys 1 and 2 are friends, you can open two windows if you like, layer 2 position is about half of layer 1 position).
aterraformer wrote:By screen 1/2 (in LM at least) I don't really like the muncher spam section. I feel I had more deaths than I should have and especially just before the power up, wasn't a fan.
I'm not sure what I was thinking with munchers. All munchers on clouds were removed, but some still stayed (like the ones above moon, because if that moon wasn't here, it would be death anyway, so...). The first section was replaced with two Urchins, the second one with a puzzle involving pressing L while in air, well, water.
aterraformer wrote:Well that part with the two urchins and two fish, kind of feel it traps the player a bit. I finally got past it going slower but that goes back to the unclearness.
Swim carefully with Down+B, slow down a bit, swim under Urchins, backtrack. There are quite a bit of solutions. I think myself this section is fine, but feel free to disagree.
aterraformer wrote:I really didn't like the wall of fish after that either. I only saw it once but I didn't really see a way past besides if I kept that fireflower.
Moved that wall down a bit to make it visible better that you can jump over it (before that change, wall of fish was nearby screen boundary).
aterraformer wrote:Second half, ugh. I would consider redoing it entirely. Like just the first jump even. I like it but it tends to push you off a lot and then immediate fish ambush.
Added safety net for the first jump (so essentially failing it won't cause a death). It also uncheapens the "R" section (which was a dumb trap depending on ambiguity of "R" (button) and "R" (reset door)).
aterraformer wrote:Then the section I disliked the most. I will say, after "figuring it out" a bit it was interesting but I really don't think it should stay that way. We've got the muncher spam again but also two rip van fish. Not to mention you absolutely have to mess with the scrolling in order to get anywhere.
Removed munchers, but I like how the second part is puzzle about screen scrolling, so that puzzle is not going away.
aterraformer wrote:Besides unclearness, the last little bit isn't too bad. That is until the kaizo trap. Now I know it was presented and is clear but maaaan after a level like this, that was really cruel. I guess you could argue already first level and I didn't beat it but it would have only taken me a few more lives to get there and scroll anyway. Not to mention I kind of think it should go anyway. I dunno, I guess if the level gets toned enough it wouldn't be too bad.
I think the Kaizo trap can stay now that a level is a bit easier...? If you watch carefully, you can see the Kaizo trap, as a platform is moving away. I wanted it to be the final challenge, and besides, sometimes VIP games actually do Kaizo traps (my favourite example is Boss Bass level), so it's not unusual.

Anyway, including a fixed version of a level. I also did a few other small changes, that I feel would uncheapen some other things (like moving second power up block one block to the up because of weird Layer 2 physics).

The second part is supposed to be all about screen scrolling. If that helps, it's short, about 6 screens long. I was trying to make short, but hard level, and I think what this level is works quite well.
Attachments
7.8.ips.zip
(330.03 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Much better! I'm still wondering about the fish wall just before the midpoint. Maybe it is just me but I would appreciate another little change to it. Besides that though, the level is good for insertion.

I'm going to ask about making a JUMP½ subforum like JUMP's. For each new level submission, I would like a separate thread. Pics, IPS, and all the necessary files included. This way, a discussion between myself, the author and anyone else who would like to step up and criticize can take place separately.

I'm happy this first level went so well!
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I should probably specify, I'm rejecting the level.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Nin wrote:

Oh noooooooo
That level...

is just not fun precision platforming... requiring the player to remember placement of everything, and many many attempts.

I did it savestateless, but...

Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Eh, I tried to make the most youtubish level out there. It was made in little under 90 minuets so ehhh.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Claiming: Level 02, Sublevels 25 and D3, Secondary Exit #000, ExGFX 8B, 8C, and 8D.
aterraformer wrote:9) All custom music. If you use vanilla, we will decide for you. Old, "broken", Japanese, Carol ports highly encouraged. Stuff from like VIP3-5, Yeah!!!, etc.
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Does this mean custom music is mandatory, unless we ask? Will most of the levels have custom music?

e: Attached my level. Kind of a dumb, semi-janked castle, but it's easy enough to not matter too much.
Attachments
Wendy's Spoooooky Castle.zip
(156.25 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by LHB 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Claiming level 12B, sublevel 2B, and music 33 (Balloon Fight - Balloon Trip, in case you are curious, this is from really old AddMusic, I believe).

I also plan updating the previous level I have uploaded, in particular to add switch palace blocks that I initially forgot.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

I'm going to rework my level again, so don't remove those claims!
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

LHB wrote:e: Attached my level. Kind of a dumb, semi-janked castle, but it's easy enough to not matter too much.
That's... an easy level, but I guess that's fine, could be easily World 1 or World 2 castle.

Gameplay video (contains spoilers): https://youtu.be/XwJazVOA5xQ (did it on first try by the way)

There are a few unusual design decisions I want to bring anyway.
  • There are no Midway Points. The level is quite long, so having one could be a good idea, perhaps?
  • Relative lack of power ups, I believe there are two or something?
  • There is a blind jump at 0:50.
  • The jump on 3:14 is relatively tricky for World 1, because of how moving slopes do work.
Also, hm, apparently slide jumps are tricky to do from moving slopes. I tried to do one at 2:26, but failed.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Nin wrote:youtubish level
Not really what I had in mind for that honestly. That second level of yesterday's VIP2 (the "commentator" level) was kind of the outer rim of jank I was looking for. I'm rather fond of that level lol. Not so much the water munchers, that goes too far.
LHB wrote:Does this mean custom music is mandatory, unless we ask? Will most of the levels have custom music?
I was going to, yeah. If you want to keep the vanilla music for this one, that's fine. I thought your level fits rather well. The only thing I would add is a midpoint, considering how well those escalators (don't) work. That said, we have a nice world 1 or 2 castle now.
era64 wrote:updating the previous level
Good to hear. Good choice in music too. I put it in the base already.
Nin wrote:I'm going to rework my level again, so don't remove those claims!
I won't. Glad to hear it.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Ok, added a midpoint and used another secondary exit (001) to respawn in the second area. I will try to do something more substantial for my next level lol.

Do you think one of the collab levels could be a random rooms level, like Boon's Mechanical Mansion?
Attachments
Wendy's Spoooooky Castle r1.zip
(156.27 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Alright, your level is in!
LHB wrote:random rooms level, like Boon's Mechanical Mansion?
I think that could be arranged...
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

I want that too, how do you do this random shenanigan stuff?
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Finished my attempt at making early game mountain level.

Messages in spoiler.

Code: Select all

To jump higher on 
green springboard,
don't press left  
or right until you
hear a sound.     
If you don't hear 
anything, increase
volume.           

Code: Select all

Sprites die when