Obligatory "inspired by a thing raocow's playing currently at the time of this post" thread. Hey, I want to take another stab at a collab. This isn't a true sequel, or else I would call it JUMP2. If worldpeace ever wants, he can have that name trademark thing as the paths diverge. I'm going for something simpler this time around, something that won't go over my head and wear me out. Something much closer to my original idea for JUMP. More jank, maybe ever more standards. What'dya think? Any takers?
Please make a new thread for each submitted level(s). Thank you.
1) VIP inspired levels. Closer to 1-3. Damn near Youtube levels, but not quite (wrote this like 2 days ago. ehhh idk lol). The original JUMP posts were "Make a Youtube Level" after all.
2) Test. Test. Test again. Without tools, always. Pretend they don't exist. Use a competent emulator (SNES9x v1.53, BizHawk, higan).
3) The accepting and insertion process will be a little different now. I won't insert until I beat them entirely and everything myself and others critize is fixed.
4) Vanilla. Mostly vanilla. SNES Mario. No Yoshi's Island allowed though. My original idea was later game SMAS graphics. Something like that. More SMB1+3, SMB2 ice and desert only. This is where I get all overly controlling o.c.d. Sorry. Included with the base rom is lots of resources from those games with only SMB3 Underground FG+BG actually inserted. I was going to form a base rom with all vanilla plus all SMB1+3 and the two SMB2 graphics but lolyoshi brought to my attention the old.. "classic" ports included with JUMP that went unused. Woulda been a lot of work haha. No rules on palettes, go crazy. So long as they don't hurt eyes at least.
5) Sprite changes, VIP/ASMT style. This was a very late idea for JUMP and would have caused too much delay. I would like all the enemies and such (not really p-switches or power ups necessarily) changed to something cool. Thinking maybe American-style memes (i.e. for Banzai Bill, Mobike Yoshi (lolyoshi) for Yoshi and the Dragon Coins). Unfortunately, I have zero graphical skill, so there's that.
6) SMAS: SMB1+3 custom sprites allowed.
7) Maybe blocks beyond teleport/donut block? Kind of not sure for this one. Would be really neat for a Super Demo World style "stuff in power up box" type deal that even VIP1 did a little. I was looking at (probably) the block and I didn't really want to think about that just yet.
8) If you want a sprite or block, ask first. The sprites I left in ST (or added) are what I am allowing. I'll work with you from there.
9) Custom music optimal. If you feel it improves your level, go for it. Same for vanilla music. Old, "broken", Japanese, Carol ports would be nice. Stuff from like VIP3-5, Yeah!!!, etc.
10) Dragon coin counter preset (0-5 allowed) but no ultimate prize. Sorry, this was part of the "going over my head" that JUMP did.
11) uberASM is there but don't overuse it. kthnx
12) There will be at least one multiperson level like JUMP. Beyond Bowser's Castle, I would like to invite people to do relay levels like Jolpe and I are working on. Basically we each do a screen and swap the level file between each other, building onto the previous.
13) From original JUMP rules: "Secret exits shall not exist at the end of the level unless you have two completely different paths. This includes putting the key at the end and dragging it through the level backwards."
14) Uhh not really a guideline but the included patch doesn't work lol. I took the existing JUMP patch, deleted some things, added some and organized to make something unusable. Would be pretty cool if someone could just take a look and see what I did wrong but worldpeace125 will hopefully give it a look sometime when he is less busy.
NEW15) No super dark levels with the light but you can't see anything past the light. If you're going to do that, make it look like the last room of Bowser's Castle in vanilla SMW (or the first room of Bowser's Backdoor).
NEW16) Switch block usage is encouraged
NEW17) Nearing the end of the project, votes will be taken for problematic or adding/removing switch blocks for levels that the authors aren't around anymore.
NEW18) Please don't use secondary exits unless you claim them and intend on actually using them. Meaning if you're using something other than the base rom to make a level, please make sure you actually clear out any unused secondary exits from your levels and sublevels.
For the person(s) willing to overtake the map, I have included some SMB3 graphics, specifically for layer 1. I would really like them used with the rest vanilla. That being said, really don't want the overworld actually being made until the levels are done so we don't have the issues we did with JUMP. This is just a guideline for the potentially nonexistent difficulty curve and to be edited as we go.
0) lolyoshi's level outside, somewhere grassy. Looking like world 1 is going to be just a grassland subtly but then after you beat the level, you go into a cave instead
1) Cave (Submap)
2) Mountains (Main OW)
4) Desert (Maybe)
5) Return to the Caves (elevated path) for the first half or so
6) Something Bowser related
As you can see, scope of the project is smaller. However, this is definitely subject to change if I get enough acceptable entries.
v0.05 (4/2/2016) Changes:
-Inserted Boo Stream Up sprite
-Inserted Grenade Man music
-Inserted ExGFX 92, 93
-Inserted Map16 700
-Inserted levels 4, 29, 49
-Inserted Mushroom Only in Ghost House block
-Inserted vertical autoscroll (among other things) sprite
-Updated level 10C
-Inserted levels 57, 58, 113
-Updated level 102
-Inserted Galaxy Tune music
-Updated levels 30-36 and 108
-Updated SMB3 screen scroll pipes (mellonpizza)
-Inserted level 104, 12F
-Inserted Super Nazo Puyo - Arle vs. Rulue music
-Updated 12F, 93, B
-Inserted ExGFXCC, CD, 105, B3-B6, C7, BA-BC, B9, C8, C9, CE
-Inserted baseball bat and flaming baseball sprite
-Inserted map16 6AA-6AF, 670-68F, 514, 515
-Inserted levels C, 4E, 4F, 5A-5C, 62, 105, 1D, 4A, 4B, 59, 50, 51, 110
-Inserted Ghost (Switch) music
-Inserted Map16 page 1A row 1, page 6 6D-6F 90-A9, page 49 0-70
-Inserted levels 18, 13A, 13E, 13F, 120, 7, 2D-2F
-Inserted Kirby's Block Ball - Grassland music
-Inserted Map16 page 11, page 42
-Inserted celestial music
-Inserted Tower of Heaven - Indignant Divinity music
-Inserted extradisco and interaction_fast patch
-Inserted noyoshipipevertical block
-Inserted Map16 page 25
-Inserted CSubworld music
-Inserted poison sprite
-Updated levels 1D, 4A, 4B, 59
-Inserted floating spike ball sprites
-Inserted levels 10B, 3B
-Inserted Tail Cave and Rainbow Route music
-Inserted Giygas is Fatally Wounded!, Title (Giygas), Miss (Intro) music
-Inserted Final Fantasy Legends 2 - Boss music
-Inserted ExGFX 9F, A0, 1AD, 1AE
-Inserted levels 40, 43, 109
-Inserted map16 pages 6, 54
-Inserted SMB3 Bricks
-Updated level 101
-Inserted Ys III - Ballacetine Castle music
-Inserted map16 3E3
-Inserted levels 17, 44
-Inserted levels 45, 46, 10C
-Inserted map16 505-512
-Inserted level B and 93
-Inserted start menu info patch
-Inserted author display patch
-Inserted ExGFXB7 and B8
-Inserted Piano (with toilet) music
-Inserted Vertical Bill, Fire Chomp and Fire Chomp Flame
-Inserted ExGFX A1, A2, A3, A4
-Inserted Map16 page B
-Inserted Don't Say "Lazy" music
-Inserted ExGFX A5, A6
-Inserted Map16 page 45
-Updated level 102
-Updated level 101
-Inserted door flush block
-Inserted level 16
-Inserted map16 page 11 rows 0 and 1
-Inserted level 13B, 13C, 13D, 12A, 12B, 2B
-Inserted drugs blocks and sprite
-Added name to 12A
-Inserted Pokemon RSE - Heavy Rain music
-Inserted Balloon Fight - Balloon Trip music
-Inserted ExGFX8B to 8D
-Inserted levels 0D3, 002, and 025
-Added name to 002
-Added name and text to 12B
-Inserted level F
-Added name to F
-Inserted levels 106, A1, and A2
-Inserted map16 3C0 to 3DC
-Inserted OffSolid, OnSolid, and MarioOnlyPass
-Inserted level 101
-Inserted Map16 3E0-3E2, 3F0-3F2
-Added name and text to 101
-Updated level 101
-Inserted ExGFX 95 to 99, 1AF
-Inserted SMWSDIS_3D_ripvanfish, vertical_boo_stream, horizontal_boo_stream
-Inserted Map16 504, page 6 row 0, and 479D to 47DA
-Inserted levels 30-36, 108
-Added level name for 108
-Inserted Super Mario Maker - SMB Ghost House music
-Inserted ExGFX 9A and 9B
-Inserted Map16 page 8 all rows 0-3 and 4200-422E
-Inserted teleport block
-Inserted classic goomba and SMB3 moving cloud
-Inserted SMB3 Overworld 1 and 2 music
-Inserted diagonal bill
-Added level name for 3 (don't fit yet)
-Patched No More Sprite Tile Limits
-Inserted map16 page 9
-Replaced graphic files 14 and 15
-Inserted ExGFX 9D
-Inserted SMB3 Screen Scrolling Pipes to Gamemode code 14 in uberASM
-Inserted Ape Escape - Peak Point Matrix and VIP7 music
-Inserted ExGFX 8F, 90, 9E
-Added level name for 13B
-Inserted SMB3 screen scrolling pipes blocks page 9
-Applied 7E0071_fix patch