(shouting)

(116) Spin Around Spiny (2.1 in my latest latest post)

Half a jump is still a jump
RussianManSMWC
Pronouns: he/him/his

(116) Spin Around Spiny (2.1 in my latest latest post)

Post by RussianManSMWC »

My level is done.
Get Here.
It's not very long. It's based on spiny spinjumping.

(Note: That's old version. New version (2.0) VVV here)
Last edited by RussianManSMWC 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: (1FA) Spin Around Spiny

Post by ft029 »

The concept is good, and I like most of the puzzles. However, there are a few setups that really need to be polished.

1. The beginning puzzle. I was very confused about it, and only after I completely went through the cave section for the 5th time did I see the berry in the bush. Before that, I thought a shelljump was necessary. I think a good solution would be to put a throw block at the end of the cave section so that a shelljump is not possible, and the solution is more obvious.

2. The cave section has many issues. I'll point out the ones that are easily fixed.

Unless I'm very fast, I have to wait a cycle until spinjumping on the spiny because of the other spiny to the right. Make this faster to get through, or change the setup.

I think removing one venus plant will be good here. I got hit a lot with this setup.

Why did you make the dragon coin like this lol

Too many sprites. It's possible to get through this without taking a hit, but I have to wait for everything to line up, which is boring. I think removing both venus plants will do the trick. Also, that note block is useless-- replace it with 1F0.

This is very stressful, and I often die because the venus plant just pops up while I'm on the spinies. It's also awkward because of the way the camera moves when I do this spinjump. Change this setup please.

3. The 2nd half is better. There are two little quibbles I have:

There's lots of stuff going on here. I think removing that one venus plant will be good.

Too many venus plants, although it is pretty satisfying to dodge all of their fire. But usually I can't dodge all the fire. I think removing the venus plant that's on the purple pipe will be good.

Overall, this level is mostly good, but it needs some polishing! :)
Mosts Awards:
RussianManSMWC

Post by RussianManSMWC »

Thanks for feedback!
Get V1.2 here
Changed/fixed some things pointed by ft029
RussianManSMWC

Post by RussianManSMWC »

Finally, here's 2.0, which is complete level redesign.

Get it here.
Lazy_
druine

Re: (116) Spin Around Spiny (2.0 in the my latest post)

Post by Lazy_ »

This was pretty good, but there are a few things I'd change:

- At the start, I'd extend the muncher platform and move the spiny back a bit so you have more time to react to it.
- The donut blocks are used like twice in the level. Seems weird to introduce them to then never use them again.
- Kinda awkward how long you have to wait for the spinies to go away here. I think having just one spiny would be enough.
- Indicating invisible blocks with blue coins is unintuitive. Just use the dotted block version (we'll even add special gfx for them later)
- This dragon coin feels trivial. You just press the switch and go right and that's it. Maybe add some enemies that get released after you press the switch? Also, the amount of on/off blocks on the right is unnecessary. All that's really needed is the wall separating the two areas.
- This ceiling is invisible ingame. I bonked my head on it and died. Please lower this entire area by one tile so you can see it.
- This obstacle is awkward. Sliding into the spiny is an interesting idea but I think it should be tweaked to feel more comfortable.
- The last few obstacles in the level felt really weak and I think they should be replaced. Maybe make use of the muncher block since you haven't really done anything with that yet.
- This is a matter of taste but I think these bumps look really dumb.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
RussianManSMWC

Re: (116) Spin Around Spiny (2.0 in the my latest post)

Post by RussianManSMWC »

Here goes Update (V.2.1). It contains a few level design changes and bug fixes.