event_triggered = true
			triggerEvent("SomeEvent")
		end
	else
		event_triggered = false
	end
end
May works...

Thanks! Works just like I wanted it to! (for the most part) I just need to figure out how to get NPCs to spawn in frozen time when I cause the layer to switch.
:pal: Image :pal:

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: Help Thread

Post by Rednaxela »

Dog In Da Grass wrote:Thanks! Works just like I wanted it to! (for the most part) I just need to figure out how to get NPCs to spawn in frozen time when I cause the layer to switch.
So you want to spawn NPCs at the same time as you trigger the event? Any reason it doesn't work to just put them on a layer that gets shown? If that's not working right with the time freeze you may wish to try the spawnNPC call in Lua.

Code: Select all

spawnNPC(npcidgoeshere, x, y, section)
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Rednaxela wrote:
Dog In Da Grass wrote:Thanks! Works just like I wanted it to! (for the most part) I just need to figure out how to get NPCs to spawn in frozen time when I cause the layer to switch.
So you want to spawn NPCs at the same time as you trigger the event? Any reason it doesn't work to just put them on a layer that gets shown? If that's not working right with the time freeze you may wish to try the spawnNPC call in Lua.

spawnNPC(npcidgoeshere, x, y, section)
Thanks, this'll probably work better than what I ultimately did but I was able to use backgrounds to keep the "npc" animated while the time was stopped, I went with this alternative since I realized that you cant talk with npcs while they're frozen in time.

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

So I learned during the relay level that you can't change the size of background objects, but I attempted to change the size of a block and that also apparently didn't work at all.

width=256
height=320
gfxwidth=256
gfxheight=320
Yes, it's a very big block :P Is this something that you can only do with NPCs? :/ It basically only sees the top left 32x32 of the graphic, which is to say it doesn't see the whole thing at all.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

RenaTurnip wrote:So I learned during the relay level that you can't change the size of background objects, but I attempted to change the size of a block and that also apparently didn't work at all.

width=256
height=320
gfxwidth=256
gfxheight=320
Yes, it's a very big block :P Is this something that you can only do with NPCs? :/ It basically only sees the top left 32x32 of the graphic, which is to say it doesn't see the whole thing at all.
Yeah, that's my experience too. the text files just don't seem to do anything for non-npc stuff.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

RenaTurnip wrote:So I learned during the relay level that you can't change the size of background objects, but I attempted to change the size of a block and that also apparently didn't work at all.

width=256
height=320
gfxwidth=256
gfxheight=320
You can easily place custom size blocks with BGE-editor. Just make the graphic and the mask, and then place it somewhere on the level with it. The editor detects the size of the new block automatically.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Willhart wrote: You can easily place custom size blocks with BGE-editor. Just make the graphic and the mask, and then place it somewhere on the level with it. The editor detects the size of the new block automatically.
If I go back to edit in the main editor after doing this, will it become unhappy and break itself?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

RenaTurnip wrote:
Willhart wrote: You can easily place custom size blocks with BGE-editor. Just make the graphic and the mask, and then place it somewhere on the level with it. The editor detects the size of the new block automatically.
If I go back to edit in the main editor after doing this, will it become unhappy and break itself?
You can play and edit the level on the main editor, but picking up and trying to move the resized blocks with mouse will revert them back to normal size.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Willhart wrote: You can play and edit the level on the main editor, but picking up and trying to move the resized blocks with mouse will revert them back.
Cool, good enough. Thanks very much :o Assume it worked if I don't bring this topic back up.
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by FFR »

when testing the levels missionproudstar and mushroom kingdom sky desert, I keep getting the error "run-time error 6: overflow". I'm using LunaLUA_0.6.1.1-beta_smbx13_sfx_mus_fullgame and I successfully used it to play yellow switch volcano and toads gone wild. anyone knows what the problem could be?
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

FFR wrote:when testing the levels missionproudstar and mushroom kingdom sky desert, I keep getting the error "run-time error 6: overflow". I'm using LunaLUA_0.6.1.1-beta_smbx13_sfx_mus_fullgame and I successfully used it to play yellow switch volcano and toads gone wild. anyone knows what the problem could be?
Hm, odd. Well, if you switch to a pre-release version of LunaDLL 0.7 (see the dev build I posted here), thanks to Kevsoft the vague "run-time error 6: overflow" error will be replaced with a detailed crash log, which would give enough information for Kev or myself to find where in the smbx engine that error was triggered.
FFR

Post by FFR »

I did a really quick test and both levels played fine with the pre-release version, no errors. I'm leaving right now, but later today I'll look into it a bit more
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Mission: Proud Star did not in fact use any Luna stuff whatsoever, if it helps figure out the issue.
FFR

Post by FFR »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:Mission: Proud Star did not in fact use any Luna stuff whatsoever, if it helps figure out the issue.
I tested them with basic smbx as well and same error happened... weird, huh?
FFR

Post by FFR »

Rednaxela wrote:if you switch to a pre-release version of LunaDLL 0.7 (see the dev build I posted here), thanks to Kevsoft the vague "run-time error 6: overflow" error will be replaced with a detailed crash log, which would give enough information for Kev or myself to find where in the smbx engine that error was triggered.
... I'm really jarred by whats going on. using 0.7 luna, I tested mission proud star and it ran fine, then I tested mushroom kingdom sky desert and several things happened: music doesn't play, some blocks may or may not show up everytime you start playing, screen randomly flickers and lags... I'm really liking the vibe of the level, but I don't wanna review it yet cos I'm afraid of missing something like an event due to an error or something something

I'm tempted to ask, did you guys screw up when putting up the links at the first post of the thread?
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

FFR wrote:
Rednaxela wrote:if you switch to a pre-release version of LunaDLL 0.7 (see the dev build I posted here), thanks to Kevsoft the vague "run-time error 6: overflow" error will be replaced with a detailed crash log, which would give enough information for Kev or myself to find where in the smbx engine that error was triggered.
... I'm really jarred by whats going on. using 0.7 luna, I tested mission proud star and it ran fine, then I tested mushroom kingdom sky desert and several things happened: music doesn't play, some blocks may or may not show up everytime you start playing, screen randomly flickers and lags... I'm really liking the vibe of the level, but I don't wanna review it yet cos I'm afraid of missing something like an event due to an error or something something

I'm tempted to ask, did you guys screw up when putting up the links at the first post of the thread?
That's kind of strange; that level I made does not use luna at all either.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

I'm unable to get Mission: Proud Star to crash the way it did for you under any configuration, be it vanilla, LunaDLL 0.6.1.1, nor 0.7
FFR wrote:then I tested mushroom kingdom sky desert and several things happened: music doesn't play, some blocks may or may not show up everytime you start playing, screen randomly flickers and lags...
Uh... what? I'm not seeing anything like that occur.

For Mushroom Kingdom Sky Desert, it's working 100% fine for me with LunaDLL 0.6.1.1, but it outright crashes under LunaDLL 0.7 for some reason... Going to investigate this. (Aka, time for git bisect)
FFR

Post by FFR »

Rednaxela wrote:.
to recap, opening it in standard smbx or the luna version I got from the MAFAB relay thread gives an "error 6 overflow" and CTD.
opening in luna 0.7 pre-release fancy, I can play the level but the music doesn't play, and weird stuff happens, such as this:
I opened the level in the editor and saw this
then pressed F5, clicked yes, then pressed ESC to return to the editor and saw this
see the bits of sand to the bottom left? that happens in a couple other areas as well
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

FFR wrote:to recap, opening it in standard smbx or the luna version I got from the MAFAB relay thread gives an "error 6 overflow" and CTD.
Yeah... I tested both Mission Proud Star and Mushroom Kingdom Sky Desert using a fresh install of LunaLUA_0.6.1.1-beta_smbx13_sfx_mus_fullgame.zip and I don't get any "error 6 overflow" message with either of them.
FFR wrote:opening in luna 0.7 pre-release fancy, I can play the level but the music doesn't play, and weird stuff happens, such as this:
I opened the level in the editor and saw this
then pressed F5, clicked yes, then pressed ESC to return to the editor and saw this
see the bits of sand to the bottom left? that happens in a couple other areas as well
Yeah... nothing like that is happening at all here...

I do have Mushroom Kingdom Sky Desert giving an error in the 0.7 pre-release (I think I found the cause, and it's no big deal), but nothing remotely like what you're seeing.
FFR

Post by FFR »

Rednaxela wrote:.
sorry to keep pinging you, this is the last time!

those cutoffs in the SS I sent? in those parts, there are blocks on top of blocks. in one of them there are 3 blocks on the same spot. you can't do that on vanilla editor. I'm assuming you can do that with wohl's editor, so I'm assuming that problem has to do with that.

the overflow error? I deleted all the events and the level played fine. of course, I can't get past the elevator because there are no events to trigger it... and then I deleted events one by one and tested the level, and I can say that there is no one event causing the overflow error, but it is caused by a combination of 2 or more events.

if these sort of glitches never happen again, I'm just gonna forget all of this and move on...
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

FFR wrote:those cutoffs in the SS I sent? in those parts, there are blocks on top of blocks. in one of them there are 3 blocks on the same spot. you can't do that on vanilla editor. I'm assuming you can do that with wohl's editor, so I'm assuming that problem has to do with that.
If you hit "yes" to the do you want to save thing that the vanilla editor asks, then yeah it might explain something. Otherwise, I'd doubt it.
FFR

Post by FFR »

oh, so you can't hit yes, thats just silly -_- I usually just hit enter, so one of the problems is potentially explained

... I hate smbx -_-

I just went and tried hitting "no" and all of the problems were magically fixed. they were all caused by doing dark magic on the fancy editor. so yeah, I'm a noob, nothing to see here, move on
FFR

Post by FFR »

edit: nevermind, the troll got banned and deleted
FFR

Post by FFR »

not really a smbx question, but this is the "help thread", so....

could you guys post here some ideas for "methods of flight"?
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

hmmmmmmm

I guess I'd do a level where you have to reach the end, but the method of getting there constantly changes. You could have airships, line platforms, bowser clown cars, little angel girls, random platforming segments, spinjumping stuff, etc.

For a fast-paced level I'd use autoscroll, but if you wanted each segment to be longer, you could change the "section" and maybe even accompany the change with some director dialogue. Or maybe a mixture of the two