(shouting)

Help Thread

If you lost something come look for it here
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Help Thread

Post by Mata Hari »

Thanks, I suspected that would be the case.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Here's another question: can somebody modify the editor to make player position snap to grid because holy shit my autism
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Do Mario and Luigi slide with different physics? Yes I'm putting a slide in my level
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

I believe the answer to both questions is no.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
KayhemMaus

Post by KayhemMaus »

Sorry for double posting but this is a bit of an issue.

I need the soundtrack to The Clash at Demonhead (NES) but I can't find it and I'm not entirely up on ripping an OST from a NES from a game, so... I'm a little bit stumped.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Granix

Post by Granix »

If your issue is still up, then have an OST playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D75BB19EF9
You can use this to get an audio from video: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
KayhemMaus

Post by KayhemMaus »

Granix wrote:If your issue is still up, then have an OST playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D75BB19EF9
You can use this to get an audio from video: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
Ah sorry, I meant to edit my post to say Zyg helped me out. Turns out my base error was not adding NES to my google searches. Whoops~
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
NeoShade
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by NeoShade »

Hey guys. So, I'm brand new to this whole ordeal, and I have a few questions about what's possible and what's not in SMBX.

Custom enemy behaviour is basically what I'm curious about. I'm planning on making a level revolving around using podoboos as obstacles (but no podoboo jumping, because, y'know... that's a bad thing) and would really like to be able to have some more varies types, such as inverted podoboos, horizontal podoboos, and perhaps even those diagonally bouncing podoboos from SMW.

Obviously none of this is available in the editor by default, but I'm curious as to whether or not any or all of these things are possible at all in this engine.

Thanks for your help.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

You can replace the graphics of enemies that behave similarly to what you want, and then change their properties in a text file to affect things like whether they can be jumped on.

For instance, for horizontal podoboos, you could replace the graphics for a flying Koopa. There are several movement options for flying enemies (selectable when you place them), including left-right movement. Then edit the NPC file so it can't be jumped on and moves through walls.

I don't think there's anything that behaves like the diagonal bouncing podoboo, though. For that you'd probably need to look to LunaLua.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Dragon Fogel wrote:You can replace the graphics of enemies that behave similarly to what you want, and then change their properties in a text file to affect things like whether they can be jumped on.

For instance, for horizontal podoboos, you could replace the graphics for a flying Koopa. There are several movement options for flying enemies (selectable when you place them), including left-right movement. Then edit the NPC file so it can't be jumped on and moves through walls.
That is a really messy solution and wouldn't really properly replicate a horizontal Podoboo at all honestly. I'd suggest looking into LunaLua for all of this, really, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to make different Podoboos behave differently though admittedly I've not actually tried, only thought about the basics of how it'd be done.

e: Okay so I poked at the matter a bit, looks like SMBX does not like its Podoboos going below their starting point. Like, at all. I'm not sure offhand how one would go about overriding that, just setting its Y-speed how you want it doesn't work and I'm not sure where it keep track of its starting position to relocate that either. It'll take a fair bit more poking than I'm prepared to do at the moment, sorry. =/
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Unsure where to ask this as there's like two help threads, but I'm having a graphical issue that I hope someone can explain to me:
greenabbadeeabbadai.png
greenabbadeeabbadai.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
Basically what I'm trying to do is to make the the bgo graphic, in this case the 'SMB1 Small Fortress graphic', appear invisible or blend in with the background so that you can't see it. Both the graphic and the background are the same color, yet SMBX renders the Fortress rather bizarrely and it becomes fairly visible. I've tested this with multiple colors, and the only ones I've seen it actually work on was black or bright blue/red (which aren't the colors I want). I'm not sure if it's an editor-only thing or not, or if there's a way to have some form of a fix for it.

Here's the castle graphic + mask:
background-16.gif
background-16.gif (2.73 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
background-16m.gif
background-16m.gif (2.71 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
And here's the background itself (it's just a singular color though):
background2-28.gif
background2-28.gif (1.54 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Granix

Post by Granix »

Sturg wrote:Basically what I'm trying to do is to make the the bgo graphic, in this case the 'SMB1 Small Fortress graphic', appear invisible or blend in with the background so that you can't see it. Both the graphic and the background are the same color, yet SMBX renders the Fortress rather bizarrely and it becomes fairly visible. I've tested this with multiple colors, and the only ones I've seen it actually work on was black or bright blue/red (which aren't the colors I want). I'm not sure if it's an editor-only thing or not, or if there's a way to have some form of a fix for it.
You basically want to black insides of fortress to appear right? Then throw out the custom mask. It will use original mask, which will cover the black parts and make fortress visible.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

I wanted it to be invisible actually, as I have the custom fortress only using that green coloring only the black outlines of the Fortress. I just want it to blend in and hide with the green background.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, if the fortress isn't meant to be visible, couldn't you just... not have it there at all? I don't know what you're planning to do with it, but if it's something like "change the background and the fortress becomes visible" you could just have it on a hidden layer and then make it appear. Or otherwise simulate whatever effect you're going for when it's invisible.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Does someone want to collaborate with me on 'Mario takes sweet nap in the sand'? I've been working on it but I'm concerned it's a little... try-hard, I guess. You can find it here (the grass on the Shy Guy's head crashed the game for me so you might wanna get rid of that first). Also I think it would be nice to work with someone on something I guess

If someone wants to playtest A Calm Cave in Vast Space that'd be good too. I mean I'm just sayin'.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPWxMe_m28

Who has the downloadable version of this soundtrack? If I am not wrong, this is suitable for my level.

And since I am at it: can SMBX use m4a format? or must it be MP3?
KayhemMaus

Post by KayhemMaus »

CloudyCloud wrote:And since I am at it: can SMBX use m4a format? or must it be MP3?
It can use OGG format, I don't know about m4a. It doesn't HAVE to be MP3, that's for certain. I can't help you with the Toadette OST but providing copyright issues aren't a factor there are programs you can get that you can rip tracks from Youtube at high quality. :)
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

So... I've started work on my first SMBX level of mine (which will eventually become two... more on that later), and I have a few questions.
1.) How do you make a locked pipe that is unlockable by keys?
2.) To my knowledge, Link can only hold one key in vanilla SMBX. Is there any way to remedy this?
3.) Is there a way to have hammer bros. and fire bros. in the same level in vanilla SMBX, both with their original properties?
(I'll probably have more questions as I get further into level creation, but this is it for now...)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:1.) How do you make a locked pipe that is unlockable by keys?
On the Warps and Doors window, there should be a button labeled "Locked"; click it and it will say "Yes," then place the warp in the level. Just be aware that the player won't be able to tell that it's a locked warp in-game unless you put some indication there, like a custom lock BGO or a sign.
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:2.) To my knowledge, Link can only hold one key in vanilla SMBX. Is there any way to remedy this?
Not without LunaLua, and even then, maybe not.
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:3.) Is there a way to have hammer bros. and fire bros. in the same level in vanilla SMBX, both with their original properties?
Maybe you could try using Lua codes to turn Birdo into a Fire Bro.? I have negative experience with Lua, so I wouldn't know if this is possible.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:3.) Is there a way to have hammer bros. and fire bros. in the same level in vanilla SMBX, both with their original properties?
Maybe you could try using Lua codes to turn Birdo into a Fire Bro.? I have negative experience with Lua, so I wouldn't know if this is possible.
Okay... I'm pretty sure I have an understanding of the locked pipes now...
That won't quite work for the fire bros... I'll need those fireballs to bounce off the ground. That's very important... I'll probably end up changing the projectiles of some of the hammer bros in this case. If something doesn't work in my level, I have several workarounds....
Thanks for the help.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
KayhemMaus

Post by KayhemMaus »

I'm working on the full SMB3 set of Hammer Bros at the moment with Lua... it's still very WIP and frankly it looks like its going to be a mare but if I work it out I'll pass on the Fire Bros codes to you.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

KayhemMaus wrote:I'm working on the full SMB3 set of Hammer Bros at the moment with Lua... it's still very WIP and frankly it looks like its going to be a mare but if I work it out I'll pass on the Fire Bros codes to you.
That's very nice of you... thanks!
A final question for this level to really work....
1.) How could you attach an item spawn/movement to an event? For example, If I want to make a Fire Flower appear on top of Mario from a text box, how would I go about this?
(It was about time)
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
KayhemMaus wrote: 1.) How could you attach an item spawn/movement to an event? For example, If I want to make a Fire Flower appear on top of Mario from a text box, how would I go about this?
Do you mean: an SMBX event causes an item to spawn above Mario? I don't know about vanilla smbx, but it's super easy in lua.

Code: Select all

local npcid = loadAPI("npcid");

function onEvent(eventName)
  if eventName == "myEvent" then
    spawnNPC(npcid.FIREFLOWER_SMW, player.x, player.y - 60, player.section);
  end
end

Play around with x and y if you want to center the power up. I think Mario is only 24px wide? And a fireflower is 32.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

It is possible to do that in vanilla smbx, but the implementation is super ugly and complicated compared to the Lua version. You have to place a mushroom over the player's starting point, using a separate layer specifically for the mushroom, attach the layer to mario, hide that layer, and then create an event which shows the mushroom layer.

It's much simpler to just have an event which activates Lua code to spawn a mushroom above your head.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Jayoshi wrote:It is possible to do that in vanilla smbx, but the implementation is super ugly and complicated compared to the Lua version. You have to place a mushroom over the player's starting point, using a separate layer specifically for the mushroom, attach the layer to mario, hide that layer, and then create an event which shows the mushroom layer.

It's much simpler to just have an event which activates Lua code to spawn a mushroom above your head.
Thanks a bunch! That's all the help I'll need for this level! I do plan on learning LunaLua for future levels, but I think learning the vanilla engine first is simpler for me...
(It was about time)