(shouting)

Help Thread

If you lost something come look for it here
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Re: Help Thread

Post by Mabel »

is there a way(with paint.net) to do transparency for images with black backgrounds?

like this one for example:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Image Image
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Sanctuary Guardian - Earthbound Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcyZ_TtLhI
Is it copyrighted?

As in, if I want to use this BGM, is it allowed?
(I don't know how copyrighted Earthbound's music is considered...)
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Mabel wrote:is there a way(with paint.net) to do transparency for images with black backgrounds?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
using the magic wand selector, you can select the black areas and delete them as you please. I can't guarantee how to get rid of the outline parts which aren't entirely black though, you'd have to work that out on your own.

(well, you can use global fill to cover whole palettes, but that can be messy)
CloudyCloud wrote:Sanctuary Guardian - Earthbound Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcyZ_TtLhI
Is it copyrighted?

As in, if I want to use this BGM, is it allowed?
(I don't know how copyrighted Earthbound's music is considered...)
We're already using Nintendo's content at the moment, so it'd be alright to use that.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Jayoshi wrote:We're already using Nintendo's content at the moment, so it'd be alright to use that.
Well, I am more afraid of the possibility that the LP video will be copy-righted(read: deleted. ya know, youtube and its copyright deletion) if raocow is gonna LP MAGLx: the lost levels.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

CloudyCloud wrote:
Jayoshi wrote:We're already using Nintendo's content at the moment, so it'd be alright to use that.
Well, I am more afraid of the possibility that the LP video will be copy-righted(read: deleted. ya know, youtube and its copyright deletion) if raocow is gonna LP MAGLx: the lost levels.
Let me say this again: We have already used a large chunk of Nintendo's content, including music. So, if something from Earthbound is used, that's like a drop of water in a sea.

Also, auto-copyright attacks mostly work for movies, music, and maybe some modern games. I haven't ever heard of that happening for games, unless a company just decides to take down a whole bunch of romhack videos or something. Trust me, it wouldn't happen to us because of that one theme you want to use.
Last edited by Zha Hong Lang 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Mabel wrote:is there a way(with paint.net) to do transparency for images with black backgrounds?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
magic wand works the same in black as white, so it doesn't particularly matter. the stuff that isn't purely black will look quite dark on a non-black background, though. maybe invert the colors?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Jayoshi wrote:
CloudyCloud wrote:
Let me say this again: We have already used a large chunk of Nintendo's content, including music. So, if something from Earthbound is used, that's like a drop of water in a sea.

Also, auto-copyright attacks mostly work for movies, music, and maybe some modern games. I haven't ever heard of that happening for games, unless a company just decides to take down a whole bunch of romhack videos or something. Trust me, it wouldn't happen to us because of that one theme you want to use.
Noted. ^^;

Thanks.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

CloudyCloud wrote:
if you're unsure, you can always upload gameplay of the level on youtube with the music in it, and if it doesnt mute or block it in any country, you're good to go.
Image Image
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Regarding dragon coin, is there a way to make it this way so that out of 6 dragon coins, I only need the player to get 5 to open a secret?

As in, you need to collect 5 only instead of all 6.

For the case of all 6, I can use just "layer no more item", for the certain 5 out of the 6, same as above.

But for any 5?

And also, who has the sprite for all 4 characters in Earthbound?(Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I can think of potential mechanisms for doing that, but they're kind of complicated and probably more trouble to put together than just learning how to do it in LunaLua.

Also, we were thinking of having some kind of indication that you collected all dragon coins in a level, which makes me think having six dragon coins may not be a great idea in the first place. I don't even see much point to it unless they're hard enough to get that it warrants giving the player a choice which to go for.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
S1eth

Post by S1eth »

CloudyCloud wrote:Regarding dragon coin, is there a way to make it this way so that out of 6 dragon coins, I only need the player to get 5 to open a secret?

As in, you need to collect 5 only instead of all 6.

For the case of all 6, I can use just "layer no more item", for the certain 5 out of the 6, same as above.

But for any 5?

And also, who has the sprite for all 4 characters in Earthbound?(Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo)
Is Lua ok? I have 7 dragon coins in my level, and you can only collect 5 to trigger an event.

Code: Select all

myEventTriggered = false;

-- check number of dragon coins every tick (put this in onLoop)
dragonCoinsLeft = table.getn(findnpcs(274,-1)) + 1;

-- trigger your SMBX event if 5 are collected.
if (dragonCoinsLeft <= 1 and not myEventTriggered) then
  triggerEvent("myEvent");
  myEventTriggered = true;
end
I also put each individual dragon coin on its own layer, and trigger an event when that layer is empty, which allows me to track exactly which dragon coins you have collected for my dragon coin counter HUD thing. (e.g. the first, third and fifth dragon coin are collected)
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

For everyone who's not using Lua because it may be too difficult: you're cheating yourself out of a great opportunity. SMBX events and layers may not require coding knowledge, but they're inefficient, clutter up quickly, and there's only so many you can use without reaching the level's limit. You can have as many actions in Lua as you want to, though, plus it's very neat and efficient. Sure, it'll take learning how syntax works, but the price is minimal and the result is totally worth it.

You also wouldn't have to worry about tons and tons of coding, unless you're making an API like CinematX.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Jayoshi wrote:For everyone who's not using Lua because it may be too difficult: you're cheating yourself out of a great opportunity. SMBX events and layers may not require coding knowledge, but they're inefficient, clutter up quickly, and there's only so many you can use without reaching the level's limit. You can have as many actions in Lua as you want to, though, plus it's very neat and efficient. Sure, it'll take learning how syntax works, but the price is minimal and the result is totally worth it.

You also wouldn't have to worry about tons and tons of coding, unless you're making an API like CinematX.
I am more like trying to avoid it. ^^;

not because it is hard: just feel like doing so.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Just a question: How to make the star auto-get?

As in, after I fulfill one condition(maybe I eat the poison mushroom), then I get the star and exit the level(since I am poisoned till death, which means I exit the level prematurely.)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

CloudyCloud wrote:Just a question: How to make the star auto-get?

As in, after I fulfill one condition(maybe I eat the poison mushroom), then I get the star and exit the level(since I am poisoned till death, which means I exit the level prematurely.)
You can spawn the star with an event or Lua, and then use Lua to move the star to the player's location, forcing them to get it.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Is there a way to stop an event from happening?

As in, let's say there is event A and event B.

event B is triggered by event A, with a delay of 5 seconds.
It is easy to be done.

But, what I want now is to make sure that event B won't happen if a certain condition is fulfilled within the 5 seconds after event A happened.

^^;

Is it possible to be done without LunaLua?

(I think it can be done in coding, since it seems doable in C++ for sure, from my mediocre coding knowledge.)
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

The only condition you can add to activating an event is if you want it to be delayed. (at least, in the event tab) However, it is possible to make the situation you want by using NPCs to trigger events rather than using a delay effect. It's very messy, though, and won't work well over a spread-out area.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Jayoshi wrote:The only condition you can add to activating an event is if you want it to be delayed. (at least, in the event tab) However, it is possible to make the situation you want by using NPCs to trigger events rather than using a delay effect. It's very messy, though, and won't work well over a spread-out area.
The problem is that I cannot use NPC to trigger the event.

I give you the context(not exactly the context of my level, but close enough), then you will understand.

You are near the end of the nightmare, but the enemies are spawning infinitely, causing you unable to go to exit door. Then suddenly there are people(your allies) who appear to help you block the attack. Of course, normally, you will run to the exit. It is what I assume at first.

What if you decide to stay and mess around instead of running to the exit? If you stay for too long, the one who come to block the attack may not be able to hold off the attack anymore, and thus they will ask you to run away.
This is the reason why I have thought of the delay thing: If you didn't leave within 5 seconds after the allies come to block, you would get a stern warning to run away as soon as possible (as they cannot hold off the attack anymore).

But, now there is another problem if I use that delay: because of how delay works in SMBX, even if I run away, the chat about asking me to leave quickly will still appear after 5 seconds after the allies.

So, it is impossible to terminate, eh?

Then maybe I have to do in another way.

And no, it is in a closed-area.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

That actually makes it a lot easier, then.

If you've ever seen people use shells and switches in the top of a room, then you should try using that for your situation. I can't describe it well if you haven't already seen it, but looking up youtube videos of SMBX levels might help you.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Jayoshi wrote:That actually makes it a lot easier, then.

If you've ever seen people use shells and switches in the top of a room, then you should try using that for your situation. I can't describe it well if you haven't already seen it, but looking up youtube videos of SMBX levels might help you.
I think I see what you mean.

That's a valid method.(I have thought of a cheap method, and seemingly this method works theorectically, but not sure if it can work as well practically.
Quman

Post by Quman »

I've actually done something like this before.

1. Create a generator that produces some sort of sprite (I usually just use ? mushrooms because they're the first item on the list in the editor I use; it doesn't matter what you use since the player isn't actually going to see it.)
2. In the NPC's properties you will see four options for triggering an event: 'Activate', 'Death', 'Talk', and 'Layer is empty'. 'Activate' causes the event to trigger the moment the NPC spawns or comes on screen. Select the event that delivers the stern warning in the 'Activate' menu, and that event will play as soon as the generator spawns the NPC.
3. Create a new layer to place your generator in and hide that layer.
4. Create a new event that causes that layer to become visible. Have that event trigger on a five second delay instead of the event with the stern warning.
5. Now go to the event that delivers the stern warning and make it so that event also hides the layer that NPC generator is in. When the generator is hidden, any item that is in the process of being generated will be deleted. This event will activate the moment the game becomes aware of the spawned NPC, but before the spawned NPC has actually become visible. The player should never see the spawned NPC, and if the player has already left the room before the layer with the generator was shown, the NPC will never spawn and the player will never see the warning.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

using lunalua, is it possible to make it so Mario constantly fires bullet bills like he's holding a billy gun? i tried this code but the bullets it spawns don't move:

Code: Select all

direct = 1;
timer = 0;
function onLoopSection1()
	if (player.speedX > 0) then
		direct = 1;
	end
	if (player.speedX < 0) then
		direct = -1;
	end
	timer = timer+1;
	if (timer==15) then
		timer = 0;
		local bill = NPC.spawn(17, player.x+direct*32,player.y,1);
		bill.speedX = player.speedX+direct*4;
	end
	player:mem(0x16E, FIELD_WORD, -1)
end
Logical2u

Post by Logical2u »

Hopefully this an alright place for this question.

I'm using PGE 0.3.1.1 and SMBX 1.3.0.2 right now and am at the VERY early stages of learning it. I'd attach my testing level but the forums don't appear to like that? So here's a dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmjm0xc50upre ... 2.lvl?dl=0

I have two questions, though each will probably spiral off.

1. Is it possible to make blocks that only NPCs can move through? That is to say, a block that only an enemy or shell can pass through? I've seen stuff about making NPCs pass through everything, but that seems to be problematic as well. I'm inspired by the old SMW romhacks which I recall having blocks like that.

2. Is there a block or setting or way to have a block/tile/sprite just delete/eat anything (or only NPCs) that come into contact with it silently? Like a lava object, but without the sound and splash. Basically a discrete way to delete enemies that wander too far, and keep the NPC count down. I think I could delete the sound and splash effect for lava, but I'm wondering whether there's another way to do it.

With reference to the level I've attached, I basically want it so that 1. only the fish (and not the player) can get to the lava/block deleter and 2. the block deleter looks a lot more "clean", basically.

I tested the "invisible" setting, but that actually made it so the fish ended up passing through the lava? And it was still visible? So I'm not exactly sure whether that's intended. I just downloaded PGE 0.3.1.5 so maybe that'll change things up.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Logical2u wrote:1. Is it possible to make blocks that only NPCs can move through? That is to say, a block that only an enemy or shell can pass through? I've seen stuff about making NPCs pass through everything, but that seems to be problematic as well. I'm inspired by the old SMW romhacks which I recall having blocks like that.
You need to use npc codes to make npc act like a block for only the player.
playerblock=1, npcblock=0, nohurt=1, speed=0 and some other codes could help to make this happen.

I'm not sure how to help with the second problem.

Edit: I think invisible blocks appear when you hit them from below. I don't think it works with lava, but it is normally used to hide mystery blocks. Also some lava types do not kill NPCs for some reason.
Logical2u

Post by Logical2u »

Willhart wrote:~snip~
You need to use npc codes to make npc act like a block for only the player.
playerblock=1, npcblock=0, nohurt=1, speed=0 and some other codes could help to make this happen.
This actually worked great, once I figured out exactly what NPC code editing meant. Thank you for the tip. For anyone else who is as confused as me...

Place the NPC you want to change in PGE, get its ID number from the properties window - e.g., Mushroom Block 1 is ID 154, and a good place to start for making a wall - make a txt file named npc-ID# in the same folder as the level, and change the properties there - e.g. using this guide http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/381/

So for example my Mushroom Block 1 change is
npc-154.txt which contains:
name="MushroomBlock1"
grabtop=0
grabside=0
playerblock=1
playerblocktop=1
nogravity=1
nohurt=1
noyoshi=1
speed=0.00
nofireball=1
noiceball=1
npcblock=0
npcblocktop=0
noblockcollision=1
cliffturn=0

It's possible Invisible is working as intended then. Maybe once I hit the lava blocks they would appear and work properly, but it's not the sort of Invisible I had in mind!