(shouting)

A "make things easier for iPhone type devices" button

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
Sillyman

A "make things easier for iPhone type devices" button

Post by Sillyman »

Pretty much the whole site works tolerably in my iPod Touch's Safari browser, including just about any video from the archives on Youtube or Dailymotion (save for embedding), and the forums (I am typing this on my iPod in fact), but I end up having to zoom in and scroll horizontally a lot. It would be pretty neat if there were a separate version of the archives with nice iPod-like lists (which, of course, only lists QuickTime and YouTube-able videos) and a big huge button that appears on the main page if your browser claims to be Safari on an iPhone/iPod Touch. (For an example of the sort of thing I mean just go to http://www.loadingreadyrun.com on an iPhone or http://loadingreadyrun.com/iphone)
And now the coast is clear, I just need to deal... with my number one fan.
Riku~n, why do you keep wanting to murder me like this?
I wouldn't mind that smile so much if your skin wasn't made of poison for some reason.
Wareng Teng

Re: A "make things easier for iPhone type devices" button

Post by Wareng Teng »

This would probably take a long time, and I'm just guessing here, but I doubt there are many users who regularly browse the site on their iPod. It doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort.
IceSoldier

Post by IceSoldier »

Writing a mobile version of a website takes a lot of time and a device to test it on.

Also, while I don't go to http://www.rao or everything.rao on my iPhone, I have gone to the talkhaus a couple times.
Yay for not viewing signatures!
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

An iPhone version of the archives is on my to-do list, actually. It's not as hard as people think because the code to pull the episodes from the DB doesn't have to change, you're just creating a new skin basically.
Sillyman

Post by Sillyman »

SayAnything wrote:I don't know about iPhones but I browse the site and post regularly on my Android phone and it's totally normal
That's because the Android OS, being made entirely by Google, doesn't restrict the running of code or modification of key apps as much, so a big corporation like Adobe can freely distribute a plugin which counts as both a modification to the built-in browser and an engine for FREELY DOING STUFF WITHOUT GOING THROUGH A SINGLE DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL OH NO!...

Apple isn't quite so ... generous? Caring? Kind? ... as to allow that. Yeah. So only movie files, YouTube, and maybe Dailymotion or other video hosts that made apps can play. And embedded YouTube has to be pretty much exactly as specified. (I'm not sure what exactly makes the embedded videos here not link, but they don't)

It's pretty awesome that this is actually being worked on. I kinda expected it to be the last thing to be done.

Edit: oh yeah Dailymotion didn't just make an app, they made their whole site serve videos to run through QuickTime
And now the coast is clear, I just need to deal... with my number one fan.
Riku~n, why do you keep wanting to murder me like this?
I wouldn't mind that smile so much if your skin wasn't made of poison for some reason.