(shouting)

Return of B-Side with Patreon?

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
Zygl

Re: Return of B-Side with Patreon?

Post by Zygl »

The problem with that is that it locks out everyone who doesn't do the thing and I don't know that he'd want to do that.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Horikawa Otane wrote:0.50-1.00 per video to get B-side back. That's about 15-30 dollars a month.
Wouldn't it be more like 30-60 bucks a month? Unless we only pay for A-side videos...
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:The problem with that is that it locks out everyone who doesn't do the thing and I don't know that he'd want to do that.
It's not a pay to view thing, some people pay him enough to do it full time so that everyone can see the videos.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

darkychao wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:The problem with that is that it locks out everyone who doesn't do the thing and I don't know that he'd want to do that.
It's not a pay to view thing, some people pay him enough to do it full time so that everyone can see the videos.
Well never mind then. Now that I look at the FAQ I see the exclusivity of the "exclusive video feed" is actually an option.
Horikawa Otane wrote:0.50-1.00 per video to get B-side back. That's about 15-30 dollars a month.
Wouldn't it be more like 30-60 bucks a month? Unless we only pay for A-side videos...
Probably that, sounds like the idea is to pay for the A-side videos so that the B-side videos can actually happen, at which point the goal's already been reached. Either that or it's paying for the B-side videos themselves, but that's semantic, really.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Pretty sure you're overestimating how many people would pay for this. I mean, Smoothmcgroove has like 300k views per video but not even 500 "patrons". Considering raocow has 3k views per video, he's going to have... 5 patrons? Obviously I'm extrapolating solely on numbers and he'd probably get more because he's closer to his viewers and has been doing his videos for longer, but I don't think it's going to be enough to make a living off of it.

Also it's probably going to draw in stupid bullshit like "HEY raocow IM PAYING FOR YOUR VIDEOS SO YOU HAVE TO PLAY THAT GAME AND ALSO USE SAVESTATES AND ALSO TALK ABOUT MY DOG IN THE NEXT VIDEO OR ELSE"

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Didn't he also say that he stopped doing B-sides besides he didn't have enough time to do more than one video in a day?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote:Didn't he also say that he stopped doing B-sides besides he didn't have enough time to do more than one video in a day?
He did and if I recall correctly it was related to his job not leaving him enough time which is what the intention of the Patreon thing meant to offset.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Yeah, if something like Patreon could garantee me enough cashmoney that I could quit my job, I'd be way into doing b-sides again, but that is such a huge gamble.

Also the 'talk about my dog' thing.

Like, I'm glad that peeps are enjoying my videos, and that some would be willing to pay for them, but I am afraid of the potential entitlement, due to human nerds being both human and nerds.

I dunno.

Maybe I'm just hiding the fact that I'm deathly afraid of change and trying stuff too. It's all possible!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Nah I think you're being some shitty thing that some douchebags somewhere call "fiscally responsible," whatever that is. Sounds dumb if you ask me.

e: (in that quitting job for this is an idea, but not a good one unless you are pretty sure you're getting enough $$$)
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I feel like simply adding a Paypal donation button on the website and his YT page would probably incur the same results (i.e barely anyone would actually donate anyway) while eschewing the "hey, I am specifically paying for your videos, give me what I want" factor, in addition to utilizing a more well-known and commonly used service.

Of course, I'm sure raocow still wouldn't do it for the reasons he already gave.
Alice

Post by Alice »

alex2 wrote:There's already ads on Talkhaus and his videos. Disabling Adblock is pretty good.
It'd be nice if everything.raocow was still updated. I have adblock disabled here but I don't disable it on Youtube because their shitty unskippable video ads are irritating as hell. Plus the ads raocow's videos get seems to actually be different between here and on Youtube. Here they just have the tolerable pop-up ads at the bottom but on Youtube they have several different types including, at least on a few videos, some video ads.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Realistically no-one can never make enough money from let's plays to sustain themselves financially unless they use scarecams, play Happy Wheels, Minecraft and horror games, and do Day 1 LPs.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Realistically no-one can never make enough money from let's plays to sustain themselves financially unless they use scarecams, play Happy Wheels, Minecraft and horror games, and do Day 1 LPs.
That's not really true, there are tonnes of people who do none of these things and still grew from scratch into respectable channels.
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

darkychao wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Realistically no-one can never make enough money from let's plays to sustain themselves financially unless they use scarecams, play Happy Wheels, Minecraft and horror games, and do Day 1 LPs.
That's not really true, there are tonnes of people who do none of these things and still grew from scratch into respectable channels.
Name one Let's Play channel that does none of those things and makes enough ad revenue to live on. You can use Socialblade to estimate ad revenue earnings.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Northernlion
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Minecraft
Hey man my channel has almost nothing but MC and I'm sitting on rock bottom.

There was a window for MC and if you didn't get in there before it became over saturated you're sunk.

---

Also Game Grumps are worth mentioning that do none of the things you mention and they're probably rich as balls, granted they're also supplemented by Ninja Sex Party, Starbomb and Egoraptor's animation channel. And Mortemer's personal channel and Ross' animation channel. Game Grumps have a lot of channels in their little crew, it's kind of neat.

Also Protonjon is worth mentioning, does none of that and seems to live comfortably. Though he does have TheRunawayGuys helping him out along with streaming on Twitch and getting a subscription every few minutes it seems. He probably couldn't live on his main channel alone though.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Going by Socialblade, Northernlion has an estimated minimum monthly earnings of $2300 which isn't enough to live reasonably on.

GameGrumps get at least $8950 each, so that's enough. I seem to remember them doing cams for something though.

And Proton Jon? Nope! Minimum of $161 a month, maximum of $1600. Nowhere near enough.
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
darkychao wrote:
Name one Let's Play channel that does none of those things and makes enough ad revenue to live on. You can use Socialblade to estimate ad revenue earnings.
_star
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Going by Socialblade, Northernlion has an estimated minimum monthly earnings of $2300 which isn't enough to live reasonably on.
Somewhat sure that's enough for an apartment dude.
Doctor Shemp wrote: GameGrumps get at least $8950 each, so that's enough. I seem to remember them doing cams for something though.
They do one-off gags every now and then where they'll show a camera shot, like when Ego was making silly faces in Sonic '06 and then Jon fired Barry, or like in Rogue Legacy when Ross got an upside down character and so turned upside down on the couch so he could see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-UPSJ6ZkG0

But camming is by no means a regular thing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Bwarch wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Going by Socialblade, Northernlion has an estimated minimum monthly earnings of $2300 which isn't enough to live reasonably on.
It's enough to live on but at 60% of the average American monthly wage, would you particularly want to live on that and only that? Maybe my view's just distorted since both wages and prices are so much higher here.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Bwarch wrote:
Might want to take into account that that's before taxes. That's only a little more than I earned a month at my last job and there was no way I would have been able to actually make ends meet if I'd had to pay all the bills by myself. (Though taxes do vary depending on where you live so maybe taxes for him are lower than the 26% I paid in total for taxes.)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Hey alex look I'm in the suggestion box.

Also to add to this, Northernlion definitely makes enough to live on cause I've been watching through his Dark Souls playthrough and at one point he was like "nobody is going to be online right now cause it's the middle of the day on a Thursday so everyone's at work. I mean, technically I'm working now too..." or something along those lines.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

If he could play a B-side he would be doing so already, money or not. And a paid-exclusive series would be far less motivating to make since it won't be open to a general Youtube/talkhaus audience, which raocow values a lot. It won't be very appealing either since he tends to do casual playing rather than carefully planned walkthroughs and stuff.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

ano0maly wrote:If he could play a B-side he would be doing so already, money or not.
raocow wrote:Yeah, if something like Patreon could garantee me enough cashmoney that I could quit my job, I'd be way into doing b-sides again, but that is such a huge gamble.
-------------
ano0maly wrote: And a paid-exclusive series would be far less motivating to make since it won't be open to a general Youtube/talkhaus audience, which raocow values a lot.
This part I agree with, though myself and Anomaly might be projecting.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Explanation: In order to make more videos he needs to quit his job. In order to quit his job he needs stable money. He's not going to quit first and hope the money rolls in later.
darkychao

Post by darkychao »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Make B-sides patreon exclusive
This is kinda against what patreon is about, we/he shouldn't be leaving people out of regular content because they can't/don't want to pay, the rewards usually are thing that are sorta special little, "you're a pretty cool guy, here have this hours of boring unedited gameplay" for $1 per month or "hey, your a real cool guy here's a picture of my face I took on the first Sunday of the month" for $100 per month.
Maybe he could have streams of doodles or something for patrons, and most people hold google hangouts for the higherup patrons.