(shouting)

Forum Suggestions

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by Bwarch »

I've found that refreshing on the avatar page gives you some of the old options for a split second before it whisks them away like it's trying to hide its dark past. I don't think it needs to be *fixed* per say, but it is interesting!

P.S. How the heck does Fluffi have an avatar that goes beyond the allowed dimensions.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bwarch wrote:P.S. How the heck does Fluffi have an avatar that goes beyond the allowed dimensions.
If you link from offsite then there's no actual limit on avatar size. It just gets resized to the max size. If you look at Alex's avatar it shows as 128x128 but if you open it in a new tab it's 733x756.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Forum Suggestions

Post by Sorel »

Bwarch wrote:P.S. How the heck does Fluffi have an avatar that goes beyond the allowed dimensions.
I dunno, I linked to it off site like Alice explained...

Apparently the max avatar size is 128x256, or something that goes beyond 128 for the y-axis but that's just my theory.
Alice

Post by Alice »

FluffiMasta wrote:Apparently the max avatar size is 128x256, or something that goes beyond 128 for the y-axis but that's just my theory.
Oh, I think I see why it's happening. The img element on the page should be limiting it to 128px in either direction but for some reason it just says "128" rather than "128px". That's not actually valid so it's only being affected by the site's CSS which has the max-width for the avatar img set to 100% but nothing for the height. That simply means that it can be as tall as it needs but it'll be scaled by aspect ratio to a maximum of 100% of the element's container width.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Notice the cut-down resolution on this image, though: http://prntscr.com/68u4xp

I took that from his profile page.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Jayoshi wrote:Notice the cut-down resolution on this image, though: http://prntscr.com/68u4xp

I took that from his profile page.
If I'm reading things correctly that looks to be because the width on the containing element on the profile page is set to auto. I've had issues using auto on height or width when scaling images too in the past so I'm reasonably sure that's what's happening there.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The talkhaus wiki does not really scale too well on smaller windows. It's also noticeable on the maglx2 launcher.

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Huh, didn't even know that SMF supported mobile-sized screens.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

I think we should be able to
someone wrote:
Something
add spoilers that exist in quotes in a spoiler
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

what would b even nicer is if we could layer spoilers. It'd be pretty convenient for a few kinds of organization.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Jayoshi wrote:what would b even nicer is if we could layer spoilers. It'd be pretty convenient for a few kinds of organization.
Nice try, guy-who-probably-wants-to-make-pointlessly-deep-spoiler-layers-that-only-end-in-made-you-look!
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

Ivy wrote:
Jayoshi wrote:what would b even nicer is if we could layer spoilers. It'd be pretty convenient for a few kinds of organization.
Nice try, guy-who-probably-wants-to-make-pointlessly-deep-spoiler-layers-that-only-end-in-made-you-look!
Maybe there could be a limit of like 3 spoilers in 1 spoiler
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Ivy wrote:
Hello, I have a limit!
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Bwarch wrote:
pholtos wrote:There a way to keep a topic auto-read so that anytime someone posts something new it doesn't show up in my unread, since there are some topics I don't really care for but they keep getting posted in every so often.
Requesting this as well if possible.

Even for entire forums/subforums would be nice.
docopoper wrote:Also I would love to unsubscribe from posts.
I, too, would like to request this.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
If I'm understanding you here correctly just do this: Image
(Sorry about the kinda huge pic. I have the forums zoomed in because of my atrocious eyesight so i don't end up leaning forward constantly to make out the text.)
Then go here and untick anything in the notifications column that is relevant. You can stop the forums from automatically subscribing you to a thread by going here and setting "Notify me upon replies by default" to no.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Bwarch wrote:
pholtos wrote:There a way to keep a topic auto-read so that anytime someone posts something new it doesn't show up in my unread, since there are some topics I don't really care for but they keep getting posted in every so often.
Requesting this as well if possible.

Even for entire forums/subforums would be nice.
I still think this is a good idea.
Alice wrote:
What we mean is that the post will just never show up as unread even with a new post in it.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Alice

Post by Alice »

pholtos wrote:What we mean is that the post will just never show up as unread even with a new post in it.
I don't think that's really feasible then. It completely defeats the purpose of tracking topics for the users and would require modifying the site's code to add an option for it and on top of that make it only work for those users who set that option. And that's actually quite a bit of work because adding completely new stuff like that to phpBB is a complete and utter pain in the ass due to all the security crap they have. You have to jump through hoops to add anything in-depth like that which makes for like 2-3x more work on the part of the person coding.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Alice wrote:
pholtos wrote:What we mean is that the post will just never show up as unread even with a new post in it.
I don't think that's really feasible then. It completely defeats the purpose of tracking topics for the users and would require modifying the site's code to add an option for it and on top of that make it only work for those users who set that option. And that's actually quite a bit of work because adding completely new stuff like that to phpBB is a complete and utter pain in the ass due to all the security crap they have. You have to jump through hoops to add anything in-depth like that which makes for like 2-3x more work on the part of the person coding.
I think this is actually Simple Machine forums, but same thing. Too much of a hassle to add features like that.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Alice wrote:I don't think that's really feasible then. It completely defeats the purpose of tracking topics for the users and would require modifying the site's code to add an option for it and on top of that make it only work for those users who set that option. And that's actually quite a bit of work because adding completely new stuff like that to phpBB is a complete and utter pain in the ass due to all the security crap they have. You have to jump through hoops to add anything in-depth like that which makes for like 2-3x more work on the part of the person coding.
I can't really speak to how much of a pain it might be, but I don't quite get what you mean about it defeating the purpose of tracking topics for the users. How so? Also what exactly are you referring to by "tracking topics for the users?"

e: And thinking about it, it's essentially subscribing to a thread, only the exact inverse. Again, very little idea how forums work and all that, but it doesn't sound to me like it'd be that hard to implement.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ivy wrote:I think this is actually Simple Machine forums, but same thing. Too much of a hassle to add features like that.
No, this is definitely phpBB. I administrate a phpBB forum myself and other than the theme it's identical to this one in functionality and layout. SMF works a lot differently to phpBB.

Edit: View the page source even. Lines 65-70:

Code: Select all

<!--
	phpBB style name: prosilver
	Based on style:   prosilver (this is the default phpBB3 style)
	Original author:  Tom Beddard ( http://www.subBlue.com/ )
	Modified by:
-->
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:I can't really speak to how much of a pain it might be, but I don't quite get what you mean about it defeating the purpose of tracking topics for the users. How so? Also what exactly are you referring to by "tracking topics for the users?"

e: And thinking about it, it's essentially subscribing to a thread, only the exact inverse. Again, very little idea how forums work and all that, but it doesn't sound to me like it'd be that hard to implement.
Marking a thread as having unread posts or not is what I meant. That's a basic functionality literally every forum software that I've ever seen has and one that exactly none of them have an ability to disable.

The opposite of subscribing would be blacklisting. And it would be a pain in the ass to implement. The basic coding for the ability wouldn't be the issue. The huge issue is actually getting the code to work with phpBB because you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to actually get phpBB to use the code. We ran into huge issues with this on Iso's forums with our custom post CSS extension. The basic code for the extension was done nearly a month before we finished the extension because it was that big a pain the ass to get phpBB to cooperate. (For reference the actual coding for the functionality took less than a week. The very first implementation of the code took like three days.)
Last edited by Alice 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I kind of like the idea too; I've been clicking "mark forum as read" lately and this would do that automatically for some threads.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

I always have to hit Mark Posts As Read since there are some threads (like the collab planning threads for example) that I have no interest in. I guess that feature would be pretty convenient for many users.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I'm always surprised at how many people besides me browse the "all unread posts" page.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Ivy wrote:I'm always surprised at how many people besides me browse the "all unread posts" page.
It's how my forum life works. That way I miss no new threads.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Alice wrote:The opposite of subscribing would be blacklisting. And it would be a pain in the ass to implement. The basic coding for the ability wouldn't be the issue. The huge issue is actually getting the code to work with phpBB because you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to actually get phpBB to use the code. We ran into huge issues with this on Iso's forums with our custom post CSS extension. The basic code for the extension was done nearly a month before we finished the extension because it was that big a pain the ass to get phpBB to cooperate. (For reference the actual coding for the functionality took less than a week. The very first implementation of the code took like three days.)
That being the case I could understand if it's too much of a pain to implement, but the ability to not see certain threads in my unread posts would significantly enhance my - and I imagine at least a few other people's - talkhaus experience.
Plus, I mean, we have a fart button. I dunno how much simpler that is to make phpbb work with, maybe it just kinda lets it slide without issue, but still.