(shouting)

ASMT v2.0

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Wyatt

Re: ASMT v2.0

Post by Wyatt »

Hm, I knew we were dividing the level in two but I figured we'd divide at the current midpoint instead of at the bosses.

So if we do divide it at the bosses, does that mean the first level of the two will have two midpoints (one at the second choice area and one where the midpoint is now) and the second will have one (between the two bosses)? If so then having the scrolling still kill you is pretty much fine, but I still do think that we need to warn the player about it somehow.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Add some Hint Huts and make that a hint in one of the huts (do we have extra levels available even?)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Looking at all the suggestions for the castle, how's this for a general layout?

King Charles' Castle - Entrance
castle entrance - first sequence of castle rooms - midpoint - second sequence of castle rooms - goal

King Charles' Castle - Main Hall (or something like that, can't think of a good name right now)
short command center-type room - VR sequence - midpoint - boss battles

As for the King Charles battle itself: making the sides of the screen not kill you is a really simple matter of adding a few lines of code, so I can easily experiment to check if it makes the battle too easy.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

Cool. I'd say the King Charles battle would still be a decent challenge even without the screens killing you.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

"inner sanctum"?
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:As for the King Charles battle itself: making the sides of the screen not kill you is a really simple matter of adding a few lines of code, so I can easily experiment to check if it makes the battle too easy.
Not that I'm for the walls not killing you but wouldn't you testing it be a tad biased in the sense that you've probably had to beat the level before anyway? (IE: You've "learnt" it already)

Or did you not playtest the level, I dunno, I assume you did as the ASMT coordinator. :P
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I think as it is the screen-killing in the KC battle does come off as a bit too rough. I have no idea how it's coded, but perhaps if the screen were bordered with spikes (purely cosmetic, on layer 2 or 3) it would make things a lot clearer & cleaner.
Nothing's easy.

kil3

Post by kil3 »

Another thing that always bugged me...

Why are there enemies in the secret storehouse? Having all those chucks there kinda makes it feel unsafe for what it's supposed to be: a special reward area for beating the game.

And yes I'm just posting this because I died while on my way to use the jukebox >_>
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

You mean the chucks that don't move at all? I would be all for removing or revamping the storehouse anyway (I think the whole "raocowology" thing is stupid, but maybe I'm still bitter that it turned into an "omg we're making a hack for raocow" thing instead of a "hey talkhaus lets make a cool romhack together" thing)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

So I've been touching up all the music, and it's going very smoothly. Every song (save a few which I'll mention) now works in bsnes, free of feedback noise.

A few significant changes:
-brinstar.txt (the music for the worm level) loops properly
-channels optimized on most songs where it was an issue (might've missed a couple though)
-bubblecrab.txt (generic water level music) is replaced w the Cool or Cruel port of the same song
-forestfrenzy.txt (Wild Green Yonder's music, had looping problems) is replaced with Jimmy's version from SMWC

There's still more stuff I want to do though!

Ports with better versions:

cirno
krooksmarch
varyags

I've heard a better Krook's March in a few hacks, mostly japanese ones I think (EDIT: It's used in hyper V for the few stages before the final castle, for example). I know that there's a really good Cirno's Theme out there, maybe it's the one in SMWCP (that one's certainly better than ASMT's version) but I think I remember hearing an even better one somewhere. Varyags is a more unique case: it's that heavy metal song from Below The Ice, There Is. I know that somebody improved this port really soon after ASMT came out; the spc is in the soundtrack that PinkKittyRose ripped, but I know it's not actually in the game (searched through the jukebox to be sure). If anyone has information on any of these it'd be real helpful.

Ports that are lackluster:

buoybase
quickman Am redoing this one. Pretend the next paragraph is only talking about buoybase

These songs are both in pretty tough endgame levels, but don't convey the intensity they should. I feel strongly enough about these (buoybase especially) that I'll redo the ports from scratch if I have to. Or, there's another option: I can make completely new songs for these two levels (The Final Assault and Trial of Iron). They could be ports, or they could be completely original songs. I want you guys to weigh in on this! If you guys like the current songs then that's fine, I'll go ahead and revise them. Just know that replacing them with something new won't take any extra effort on my part.

Ports I still need to touch up: (spoilered since it doesn't matter for most (if any) of you)
hakugyokoro (important instruments are on sfx channels)
lastbattle (sync falls apart halfway through)
maradia
All Overworld Songs
In short, link me the best versions of the "Ports with better versions" songs, and give your opinion on what you'd like to hear in The Final Assault and Trial of Iron.
Last edited by Wyatt 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: quickman song update
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Have a very soft, very very low key rendition of the lullaby for the red hallway (When I watched it played by Ryuu, the silence just... it just didn't work at all)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Really? I loved the silence when I played it.

Though, if people do agree with you on adding music, we shouldn't use the lullaby: it's a2mt's theme, and it would feel wrong if it was added to asmt, which was made before the song even existed.

Also, Argumentable's right, we should get rid of raocowology.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt wrote: Also, Argumentable's right, we should get rid of raocowology.
I agree on fully redoing the storehouse. It really had nothing going for it except for the juke box. Jus have a nice little room with powerups and the jukebox. Unless someone has an actual idea.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

A block that gives 99 lives?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

A few things that I thought about last night while trying to sleep (counting sheep is so yesterday man) :

-Everyone probably know this already, but in SNES9X the lakitu boss just moves around and doesn't throw any boulders. I don't know if it's possible to fix but I remember it quite bothered me to have to switch to ZNES while I played it. Worst case scenario, tell the player in a message box in the level?

-The glitch abusing room in Panic Puzzle... I know it might not seem much but I spent a good 5 minutes wondering what I was supposed to do before eventually randomly spinjumping everywhere then barely remembering that spinjump-under-a-tile glitch. I'd suggest just letting the player fall down when he comes out of the pipe since it's not hard to get back to that pipe.

-The secret exits that use pipes when the level already have pipes everywhere : I'm especially talking about Giant ice cubes here. Seriously. This is the only secret exit in the game that I've never found (not counting, of course, the secret levels after this one that I've, thus, never unlocked). I know there are some other levels that use the same mechanic (Raw horse power i think) but I don't know, I don't think they are as bad as this one. I found the key no problems but I went in some really stupid places in hope of finding the keyhole before eventually giving up.
Oh also, maybe it's just me but I found the wizard + ice physics + precision jumps (especially when you hold the key) a bit too much for a level in such a "early" place in the game, I have to admit I eventually abused savestates here. I know it's designed by raocow but still. :P

Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

AUS wrote:A block that gives 99 lives?
Not sure about this: the only really hard levels in the post-game are hot beach (will be relatively easy with a midpoint), currents (easy first half), and over there (easy second half).I guess it would give the storehouse a little more purpose (EDIT: though the jukebox is probably purpose enough).
Jesuiscontent wrote:-Everyone probably know this already, but in SNES9X the lakitu boss just moves around and doesn't throw any boulders. I don't know if it's possible to fix but I remember it quite bothered me to have to switch to ZNES while I played it. Worst case scenario, tell the player in a message box in the level?
This is actually a really big deal: we're already changing the music for real SNES compatibility, so this should be fixed too. I'd say worst case scenario is to give the player an instant-win if they're not using zsnes (90% sure this is possible) but ideally someone will be able to actually fix the bug.
Jesuiscontent wrote:-The glitch abusing room in Panic Puzzle
You're right, making players use glitches is dumb. I agree with making this room into a fall.
Jesuiscontent wrote:-The secret exits that use pipes when the level already have pipes everywhere : I'm especially talking about Giant ice cubes here.
Agree with this 100%. Probably the only reason nobody's questioned this exit is that most players watched raocow's LP first, so they knew what to do. There should be coins on top of the pipe as an indicator.

Also, if you enter the pipe then try to go back from where you came, you get plopped out face-first into an enemy. Also you and the enemy are offscreen. What the hell raocow!
kil3

Post by kil3 »

ps you can detect which emulator people are using in game by reading some unintialized RAM. bsnes used to initialize it all to the number 0x55 but now I heard it's psuedorandom so that might be a bit of an issue. SNES9x should still initialize everything to 0x85.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I wouldn't mind looking at some of the levels and implementing some of the changes myself. At least ones so far as level design and basic lunar magic things go.

Edit: I probably already posted this too lazy to look
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

I've been rather busy with college exams these last few weeks, but since I had the last one today I'll try to get started on doing some actual work on this soon. First up: figuring out which versions of the patches in my ASMT folder are the correct ones and porting everything to a new ROM.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

This is a great idea. I'd be inclined to help with this some as well! Besides the remarks already made by yoshicookiezeus, does anyone have any suggestions for making my levels better?
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah removing them completely
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Don't quit ARH man.

P.S.: I wanna test your levels again.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

No, this is the ASMT thread
Yikes

Post by Yikes »

If you guys really want to make a console compatible ASMT, then raocow needs to draw a printable version of the Cartridge label. I would love to have one of these!

I really appreciate the changes in difficulty, most of them don't really make the game easier, but it won't punish every single mistake too hard. So, I could still die. A lot. YAY!
Gesundheit!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I've been gone from here so long that I've missed this thread entirely.

Regarding "Revenge of Switches Pressed", switch out the walls of Greens before the Midpoint with Reds and Blues, but leave the Key in as the Red Herring it's supposed to be. You could also move the 3-up to just below the blocking Green Block instead of blocking it from both ends (that portion is also a shortcut in case you don't have the Green Switch pressed already, so blocking the bottom with anything other than another Green would be a dick move). And as for blocking the lower section with the Green Switch, the only way to really get that 1-Up there anyway is to not have the Green Switch activated yet, and by then you're getting the much yummier 3-up anyway.

For where it is in the Hack, it's more of a breather level that provides an easy save point than anything else anyway. Also, no caps for the level name (it was originally named and - I think - submitted before the long level names were available).

Also, I think in my original plans the Timer was about 50 seconds less than what it was in the final product; the idea was to induce cries of panic around where the P-Switch portion was.

I can't remember which room in Charles' Castle was mine in terms of which doors had to be entered to get there, but it's perfectly alright to replace greens and yellows with reds and blues there too.

The only other note I have is about a level that isn't mine - in world 3, I'm stuck at the part where you have to jump off a shell that you kick into a wall. I think that's in High! Sky! Fly! but I'm not sure. Can we get an invisible Note Block added to there if that's not already on the way in? I've got no problem with it being a tricky jump but I am not yet able to do that particular trick.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024