(shouting)

[SMW Kaizo Hack] Pandora's Box: Baserom Hell/Stage 1 ~ Prologue

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Samantha
i'll play whatever part you need me to, and i'll look good in it too~☆
Pronouns: She/Her

[SMW Kaizo Hack] Pandora's Box: Baserom Hell/Stage 1 ~ Prologue

Post by Samantha »

This has been a long time coming. :reimuko:

I originally came up with the idea for this hack in the summer of 2013 when I had to read a book about Greek mythology over the summer, but the past 10 years of my life have been so insane that I didn't have the ability or energy to make this hack. Thankfully, my life has progressed to a much better place in recent times so I've decided to make the hack I've always dreamed of making.

This is going to be a Kaizo: Hard hack that will require savestates and slowdown, as well as frame advance in certain sections (but the tricks that require frame advance won't be very complex). My attempt with this hack is to bridge the gap between the old and new when it comes to Kaizo; this hack is inspired by a lot of older tool-assisted Kaizo hacks such as C|C, Mario Must Die, works by people like AbuseFreakHacker, SixCorby, Katerpie and many others, while also working in modern elements from hacks like Invictus, GPW, as well as works by JUMPTeam, MarsAmPear, RicardoDeMelo and the like. As of now I plan for there to be 12 main stages, a bonus stage which features an homage to my favorite hacks and unlocks the credits, an intro stage, possibly a tutorial stage and maybe even a secret stage depending on how much unused material I have by the end of everything. I'll likely sprinkle easter eggs throughout as well.

STAGE 1: Truculent [Grassland/Night] (40% complete)
STAGE 2: Cliffhanger [Mountain/Athletic]
STAGE 3: Fish Dyx [Tides/Underwater]
STAGE 4: A Maze In Forest [Forest/Puzzle]
STAGE 5: Cave Jane [Underground/Layer 2]
STAGE 6: House of iNSaNiTY [Ghost House/Switch Palace/Abstract]
STAGE 7: Hostile Architecture [Ice/Sunset] (2% complete)
STAGE 8: Key Vs P-Switch [Fortress]
STAGE 9: Cape Abuse [Grassland/Night/Airship]
STAGE 10: 7ubular II [Desert/Castle/Abstract]
STAGE 11: The Great Yoshi Massacre [Underground]
FINAL STAGE: INSIDE THE BOX [Abstract/Castle/Space]
BONUS STAGE: Samantha's Castle [Castle/Homage]

EDIT 4/18/24: Changed some bits of the post and removed past screenshots as they're outdated. Will post progress on the hack soon, for the time being this project has been on hiatus while I sort out some things resource wise but I'm just about ready to get back into creation.
Last edited by Samantha 2 months ago, edited 6 times in total.
Samantha

Re: [SMW Kaizo Hack] Pandora's Box

Post by Samantha »

Ok so despite me not posting in this thread for nearly a year, this hack isn't dead!

The project has been on and off for some time due to a myriad of factors, but the main one as of late being that I was experimenting with a lot of ideas outside this hack and wanted to wait until I had a firmer grasp on what I wanted to do. Originally I was also gonna wait for UberASM Tool 2.0 to pass moderation on SMWCentral but I got tired of waiting so here we are.

As of right now I'm currently in baserom hell getting all the resources I want prepped and ready and I'm gonna be here for a while, BUT I do have one thing I can show:

This is gonna be the visual aesthetic of the first stage, which is largely going to be a night themed level with pretty standard (standard by this hack's standards anyway) platforming. I'm gonna add stars to the background later. The palettes are inspired by Trans Liberation Forever and Abuse And Die 3. At this point I've also decided on most of the soundtrack for this hack, and this first stage is gonna feature Touhou Tenryuuguu ~ Heavenly Gathering of Clouds - Romantic Tour ・ Dan-no-Ura, ported by the lovely bebn legg.

Also coincidentally I had the idea for the custom status bar you see here before I realized JUMPTeam did the exact same thing in ooooo so just pretend I didn't rip them off k thanks bye for now.
KobaBeach
"illusion of gaia is earthbound. yakuza is earthbound" the people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: [SMW Kaizo Hack] Pandora's Box: Baserom Hell/Stage 1 ~ Prologue

Post by KobaBeach »

*2010 smwc voice* i think you should put a pony in it

part of me still feels like adding non-smw style stars would make for a really good contrast with the semi-vanilla aesthetics but im big brawler hack/late 00s-early 10s jp hack pilled (lbr it's mostly anikiti and like -neko who's to blame for this)

i dont think i could ever make a baserom before making a hack. i may use callisto these days to avoid my rom dying a2mt style, but i still think in terms of oldschool hack making
Samantha wrote: 3 months ago Originally I was also gonna wait for UberASM Tool 2.0 to pass moderation on SMWCentral but I got tired of waiting so here we are.
Fucking Real
Image All nations are on a single continent shaped like Australia. Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
backloggery
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Samantha

Re: [SMW Kaizo Hack] Pandora's Box: Stage 1 ~ Truculent

Post by Samantha »

Finally escaped baserom hell and now I can make progress on this hack again. I made this section of the level way back in September when I was still experimenting and on the fence with getting back into SMW hacking so I figured I'd repurpose it here since that was sort of the plan anyways.
part of me still feels like adding non-smw style stars would make for a really good contrast with the semi-vanilla aesthetics but im big brawler hack/late 00s-early 10s jp hack pilled (lbr it's mostly anikiti and like -neko who's to blame for this)
Too late lol I'm already using the vanilla ones. Plus I've already kinda maxed out my primary Exanimation ExGFX file so that would be much harder to do at this point in the game.
i dont think i could ever make a baserom before making a hack. i may use callisto these days to avoid my rom dying a2mt style, but i still think in terms of oldschool hack making
For me there's just so much specific stuff I want in my hack (blocks, patches, tweaks, etc) that it's pretty much impossible for me to get started until I have everything I need in place.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

I'd say at this point I have about 40% of the stage finished

I also started working on Stage 7, I might scrap this section later but I'm definitely keeping the aesthetic and color shceme
KobaBeach
"illusion of gaia is earthbound. yakuza is earthbound" the people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

legitimately have no idea how people do percentages. i like the retro kaizo inspiration here, this is much more my wheelhouse than a lot of modern kaizo
Image All nations are on a single continent shaped like Australia. Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
backloggery
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 months agolegitimately have no idea how people do percentages. i like the retro kaizo inspiration here, this is much more my wheelhouse than a lot of modern kaizo
I have a good picture of how long levels are gonna be so I estimate based on that. Glad you're liking it so far!