(shouting)

LAX: A Relaxed New SMW Collab

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
alternateSMW

LAX: A Relaxed New SMW Collab

Post by alternateSMW »

Hey, partially inspired by Slit08's thread in the JUMP½ subforum, I've decided to put together an SMW collab. Reading through some of the responses kind of helped temper my views a bit to keep in low key/stress and make sure there's no pressure for silly things like custom bosses at the end, for example or strict rules as far as worlds, themes and difficulty. I know that so far, it looks a bit barren but I do have people interested that haven't fully participated yet (very early stages), my levels are still WIP, as well as someone specific who has been helping me with ASM and such who will be closely involved in this project. He's a member of the forum but given the anonymous aspect of the project... besides myself of course. Feel free to ask any questions here but please keep claims/submissions on the site here.

It's a bit unorganized but I guess I'll copy my plan from the website here to make things easier:
This project is intended to be kept "low budget", reasonable unlike many collab hacks of the past. I'm open to many level types and styles. I intend to accept most. I don't want to make a lot of rules for this project, I just ask that if I ask something to be changed in a level this it is at least acknowledged so that we can work together on whatever issue it is. If I really like the level and no response is given, in time I will change this aspect myself. I would like this hack to be mainly Standard; Normal through Very Hard but is also open to Kaizo. With Kaizo, will be a bit more strict. I'm not looking for the typical style that's put out all to often right now. For all levels, I mostly just ask that the level is completable by the author without savestates and playable on modern emulation/console. Shouldn't be too much to ask, right?

As far as chocolate/ASM/graphics are concerned, most will be welcome too. The main thing with this is that it is either preexisting or not too complicated that it can be made in a reasonable amount of time. A good example would be a final boss. I don't mind if this project ends with vanilla Bowser or something preexisting. I flashy new final boss isn't necessary. I don't want anything overwhelming to hold back the project in whatever aspect.

Pseudonym shall me used for level credits and will change over to author's actual username upon completing the hack. I believe this was done by YUMP2 first but during the credits? I could be wrong, I haven't played that hack. This means claiming and submissions will be done privately using the link at the top.

I don't want to label this hack's inspirations and pigeonhole/force a style. It doesn't need to be super serious, it can be (just not story, no need for that here) but I would prefer to stay away from YUMP style junky levels and things that crash/delete saves. As for my influences, well my favorite hacks are mostly Japanese though there are plenty exceptions. Particularly SMW Gaiden and Vanilla Flavour more recently. Anikiti and Hai Mari are among my favorite Japanese hack authors.

I do not intend on using the retry patch so keep this in mind. If more checkpoints are needed, let me know and I will install multimidpoints. I would prefer to use that over vanilla checkpoints (1-up/dragon coins) but it won't be a rejection reason if they are used.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by alternateSMW 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: LAX: A Relaxed New SMW Collab

Post by KobaBeach »

I'd join but I wonder if it's okay since I'm brownbanned from SMWC for now (second one and I'd rather not come back for a few years, no ill will towards anyone, just. it's rough). I started work on a layer 2 boss today but I'm waiting on Von Fahrenheit to log on to help guide me through DMA uploads and NMI hijacks (he is online, will ask if he's available rn or not), so maybe I can help with ASM as well as make one or two stages. Just a basic Wily styled one, but I'll try to do something like Julius, with Mode 7 and whatnot later on. I'd rather we have Koopalings or Koopaling like bosses for the main world though.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

I can understand that. Although I posted this on SMWC as well, I don't mean to attach this collab to any forum. That's why I made the little quick site to try and keep it separate. Just putting it here and there for advertisement purposes since I'm pretty unknown.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I see. I just worried due to uploading purposes. xfix has stated that A3MT not getting into SMWC is perfectly fine and that he can just live with it, though I worried about you since you were a fresher face. I'm mostly on and off practicing ASM, and occasionally level design. Ripping my own graphics with SNESGfx and coding weird nonsense is really fun ^^
Image Image
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

Link is fixed, sorry about that.
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

Added some pics because the SMWC thread got called out for not having any... hope it helps
alternateSMW

Post by alternateSMW »

Updating the base rom, relatively big upgrade. Some finished levels, some levels not just by me even. Another should be submitted soon as well. Lots of upgrades and patches, I forgot to put in fastrom again, just remembering as I type this. Whoops. Anyway, my levels still need polish and more testing but it's been a week and I wanted to get another one up. Please feel free to give me criticism and suggestions for decreasing the difficulty and improving the levels. Thank you.

Base ROM v1.3
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

suggestion that the title screen music be a renditrion of lax by big d and the kids table to fit with the name /s

(also I linked this in the spotzone, hope it helps)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

alternateSMW is confirmed to be aterraformer and this project has insidious goals so

no thanks
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

>wuhan institute
no idol you don't udnerstand we need racism in our mario games don't you remember the good response gwaenchanhayo bridge got in vip1 /sarcasm
Image Image