(shouting)

return of the lm collab??

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

return of the lm collab??

Post by KobaBeach »

I'm just gonna copypaste what I said in Discordhaus:

Would there be any sort of interest in me asking whether anyone would like to make some low effort levels for a SMW collab? I just kind of got the itch, it probably won't be able to be uploaded to SMWC since I'm banned for the time being, but just as a fun timewaster.

I want to avoid any sort of jumphalf or a2mt situations where we just get swamped in an asm shithole from which there is no return, but I won't say no to people making their own asm for stuff. I also think we should be having proper testing and nerfing and i'd like to make sure of that whenever possible.

This is mostly to gauge interest. If there is I'm open to leading the collab and messing about with the baserom due to knowing how most tools function and having a sort of way with maneuvering ASM, and if anyone wants to be give me some help, I'd be willing. I want to make something close to ASMT or the VIPs, a simple hack where people just do shit, then it gets packaged up and shat out onto the masses.

Tools to be used should be LM 3.21, PIXI 1.32, UberASM 1.4, GPS 1.4.21, AddK 1.0.8 and Asar 1.81. I'll also try to keep track of the RAM used and filled up ROM spaces to avoid mixed wires and spaghetti code, should someone be interested in coding ASM. Custom bosses won't be mandatory, if you do make one then that's fine, but it's not gonna be a primary goal for the collab.

Let me know if anyone's on board, even if just 10 people, and I'll try to get started on a small spreadsheet over on the digiverse that is Google Drive hell.

EDIT: funy
spreadsheet thing
Last edited by KobaBeach 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: return of the lm collab??

Post by pholtos »

Might be up to making something of semi-terribad quality, assuming I find the desire to do so. :P

Might also be up to help playtesting levels to see if they're spiteful and designed well enough or not.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Could be pretty fun. I'm interested. I'm no good at critiquing or anything so I'd be down to just make a level
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

pholtos wrote: 3 years ago Might be up to making something of semi-terribad quality, assuming I find the desire to do so. :P
do your worst
HatKid wrote: 3 years ago Could be pretty fun. I'm interested. I'm no good at critiquing or anything so I'd be down to just make a level
you got this
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Added a link to a spreadsheet in the OP

if you need a link again here u go
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

i have one singular level idea that is vanilla and yet i havent seen anyone do it before, i tried to use it for a second a2mt level but didnt quite make something fun so i didnt submit that one, so ive been sitting on this for a decade

that is to say

anybody need a ghost house :garish:

edit: to be clear, i'd make a new level trying to make my old idea be fun

edit2: im not on the discord talkhaus cuz i dont like being in servers (people!! aaahhh!!), but my discord handle is in my bio and visible on every post
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Image Image
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I shall do testing and offer my always insightful scathing criticism. 8-)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Ever since I became active here, I've been looking for a chance to make something playable for the community. This collab seems like a good opportunity to do so.

I would be interested in contributing levels. Honestly, I have no firsthand experience with SMW hacking, but I do have some familiarity with the various quirks of the engine thanks to years of playing and watching LPs of hacks. Let's see if I can still teach myself something new.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago Honestly, I have no firsthand experience with SMW hacking, [...] Let's see if I can still teach myself something new.
good. honestly, if any talkhaus project is to succeed, it's through the blind perseverance of random people who dont know what theyre doing

ok im sounding dismissive, but consider that i mean this unironically and think it's great :rao:
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i would definitely make levels if my Brain Carousel rotates onto the "mario levels" sector during the time period that people are making levels. maybe it will!?!?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
darkwitchclaire

Post by darkwitchclaire »

This would be a good excuse for me to finally learn Lunar Magic, if I can come up with a good idea. Otherwise I can at least playtest.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Funny enough, xfix in the spotzone was talking about possibly starting an a3mt a week and a half ago. you should get in touch with them.

EDIT: It wasn't a week and a half ago, it was last month
Last edited by SAJewers 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I feel like that's missing the point of this but that's just my initial impression
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I mean, they did say any possible a3mt collab would/should be run exactly like asmt where anything goes, which is largely in line with what I see in the OP. The only issues they saw (and probably the only reason it stayed as a cursory discussion in the spotzone) was the advent of SMBX and lack of talkhaus membership.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

if this ends up being a3mt that's cool with me. i like using demo baseroms anyway

edit: suggestion, very little lore if at all
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I don't really mind if this turns into a3mt, but I think it would still be kinda neat to make just a little game and not some huge project
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

If Koba really wants to lead this, then I don't see why there can't be two collabs going on at around the same time. Maybe this one can be a smaller-scale thing just to get people hacking SMW again and to increase engagement within the community? For example, a non-canon spin-off featuring Demo and friends, so as to not tamper too much with the lore (of which I've been completely out of the loop). That is, if we were going to use Demo in the first place. This may be our own thing.

In any case, when these projects come to light, my own personal preference is that the main discussions take place in a front-facing community, so that things can be more easily organized and be properly archived (i.e., the Talkhaus). Not everyone can be present in the various Discord servers for reasons. If conversations do happen on Discord, then screenshots, a summary, or some type of digest should be posted so that the others who missed out can be kept on the same page. Plus, it would be nice to see the Talkhaus active again outside of the three current LP threads.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

SAJewers wrote: 3 years ago Funny enough, xfix in the spotzone was talking about possibly starting an a3mt a week and a half ago. you should get in touch with them.

Time do be like that these days.

I wouldn't mind throwing my hat into the ring, simply because I've literally never touched LM and wonder what I could manage to make.
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

re: all y'all
SAJewers wrote: 3 years ago Funny enough, xfix in the spotzone was talking about possibly starting an a3mt a week and a half ago. you should get in touch with them.

Get me their discord so I can discuss with them a bit. PM please, i don't want bots bothering them, that's why I always keep mine private (and so no one on FurAffinity/furry twitter tries stalking me)

As for the front facing thingy PSI brought up, I'll make sure to post the result of the convo in this thread, how it went etc so people can more accurately give their feedback. I'd personally go for a discord for quick chat, with a few threads for showcasing stages, feedback and status updates, so things aren't completely buried outside of pins.

Also there are people like Leet who prefer not to be forced into discords, so I'd like to keep the forum option on for reasons other than easy archival.

I can't guarantee a3mt for now, maybe after this. I'd like to go with the following
PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago If Koba really wants to lead this, then I don't see why there can't be two collabs going on at around the same time. Maybe this one can be a smaller-scale thing just to get people hacking SMW again and to increase engagement within the community? For example, a non-canon spin-off featuring Demo and friends, so as to not tamper too much with the lore (of which I've been completely out of the loop). That is, if we were going to use Demo in the first place. This may be our own thing.
A smaller project as a sort of warm up and A3MT later when people get their Mario muscles properly stretched and ready to go. I'm willing to let xfix lead either as they have more collab experience, but I'll try to be a secondary lead as well, to help keep everyone in check.
Image Image
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Yeah, so I suggested starting A3MT in patapon Discord, and I do think I want to do it, just not quite now, maybe in a few months - I want to prepare base ROMs and everything. It would be a smaller scope collab which is pretty much anything-goes. Beginners to Lunar Magic would be very much welcome, there are tutorials on the web to get used to it (honestly, I don't think it's much more complicated than Mario Maker or SMBX) and plenty of really cool resources to work with on SMW Central.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

rad
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I'll try to be the resident "carol wannabe", as the ASMT credits say, in terms of development. I'll mostly make (some of?) the pre-requisite chocolate stages with original gimmicks, maybe a boss or two for my stages. Von Fahrenheit over Discord and xfix should be able to help me with technical difficulties, and since they're both in central Europe from what I recall, I should be able to get in touch with them for most of my waking hours (western Europe here, for those keeping score at home).

If there is time and I'm stupid enough, I'll consider making a final boss and maybe some for other stages if authors are okay with it, but I won't make em at the scale of Climax or Battlesuit Morsel, probably Julius or Tanasinn at the most, with less stupid enemy design philosophy due to absorbing some tenants of "good game design" (subjective really) thanks to playing too many video games and viewing them under a critical eye. As best as I can make em at least. Regardless, it won't be a primary goal and will just be an extra, most likely, due to the effort entailing it, we'll just use a resprited Bowser and some pre-made custom bosses from SMWC, I'd prefer the Koopalings, but I'm not sure if xfix would be okay with blatantly Mario elements in ASMT considering the SMBX games are trying to separate themselves from it.

I also do not want people to think in a JUMP sort of way where every level must be chocolate as fuck. I wish to only add my own contributions to the hack and maybe fix people's ASM troubles, even if my contributions end up being just one stage in like World 3. I simply have trouble thinking in a vanilla sort of way, it's my Achilles' heel. :reimuko:

I want to see some first time and/or vanilla stages as well if that's the best you can do. Be as bad as you can. To quote Shigeru Miyamoto, paraphrased by Kensuke Tanabe in an interview about Super Mario Bros. 2, "As long as it's fun, anything goes." Don't go too into the asshole territory, but have fun making it and don't create art just to appease an audience that may or may not exist, I say, kind of accidentally paraphrasing notable edgelord, Tameem Antoniades in an interview for noted Angsty Elephant In The Room, DmC: Devil May Cry (which I can't find right now so here's just a Wha Happun link).

I'll probably make some stages for now to maybe consider yeeting onto the project as I wait, I'll make them more adhoc styled (separate levels, no patch usage) so they're more modular and can be easily altered to be added to the hack.
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

One suggestion now that I think about it, but if you end up deciding to some of this over discord, then get in touch with red or hoeloe over in the demo discord about adding some channels for this, rather than making your a separate server for this