(shouting)

return of the lm collab??

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: return of the lm collab??

Post by raekuul »

May I suggest, in the interest of basically everyone's sanity, that there be a screen count limit for individual levels? Watching ASMT 11th Anniversary - particularly the King Charles' Castle sublevels - showed a tendency towards needlessly long levels (yes, that includes both my level and my KCC sublevel).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

but we voted yellow cap switch for best video

"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago I'd prefer the Koopalings, but I'm not sure if xfix would be okay with blatantly Mario elements in ASMT considering the SMBX games are trying to separate themselves from it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'm aware that A2XT dev team wants to move from SMBX and make A2XT shift toward being a completely original IP. However, for A3MT I think I explicitly want it to stay as a hack, it will be still a Mario Thing, as the title says. There won't be a complex plot like in A2XT, rather I expect here to be some sort of excuse plot. The game will stay recognizably a hack of Super Mario World, even if graphics will be replaced. Also, everything is canon, and it was established that in a Mario elements (Demo's appearance in JUMP 1/2) and VIP elements (Ara's Desert Serac) are in the same universe, so why not have Koopalings.
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago I also do not want people to think in a JUMP sort of way where every level must be chocolate as fuck. I wish to only add my own contributions to the hack and maybe fix people's ASM troubles, even if my contributions end up being just one stage in like World 3. I simply have trouble thinking in a vanilla sort of way, it's my Achilles' heel. :reimuko:
Definitely agreeing here. This will be much smaller in scope than even JUMP 1/2. A chocolate level is fine (I want this to be "anything goes"), but I don't expect majority of levels to be heavily chocolate. Think of how many levels in VIP games are mostly vanilla, but then you have stuff like bramble level in VIP4.
raekuul wrote: 3 years ago May I suggest, in the interest of basically everyone's sanity, that there be a screen count limit for individual levels? Watching ASMT 11th Anniversary - particularly the King Charles' Castle sublevels - showed a tendency towards needlessly long levels (yes, that includes both my level and my KCC sublevel).
I don't think I want to set a limit for individual levels - if somebody sends a level that takes 20 minutes to beat, that's fine with me - anything goes means anything goes.

On the other hand, I think I want to set a limit in terms of amount of time for MULTIPERSON stage because historically "anything goes" didn't work all that well for levels like this. Something strict like the author must be able to beat their multiperson stage in 50 Mario seconds, will see. I really like the Bowser's Castle in YUMP 1 with its ridiculously short rooms and I would like to see similarly short rooms.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago Think of how many levels in VIP games are mostly vanilla, but then you have stuff like bramble level in VIP4.
I was thinking about とげとげトゲ迷路 the other day and man that level is, really not fun to play in retrospect. At least ハニーアドベンチャ in the sequel is pretty solid for the most part, same author.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago
raekuul wrote: 3 years agoMay I suggest, in the interest of basically everyone's sanity, that there be a screen count limit for individual levels? Watching ASMT 11th Anniversary - particularly the King Charles' Castle sublevels - showed a tendency towards needlessly long levels (yes, that includes both my level and my KCC sublevel).
I don't think I want to set a limit for individual levels - if somebody sends a level that takes 20 minutes to beat, that's fine with me - anything goes means anything goes.

On the other hand, I think I want to set a limit in terms of amount of time for MULTIPERSON stage because historically "anything goes" didn't work all that well for levels like this. Something strict like the author must be able to beat their multiperson stage in 50 Mario seconds, will see. I really like the Bowser's Castle in YUMP 1 with its ridiculously short rooms and I would like to see similarly short rooms.
I was thinking of a "two levels' worth of screens" type limit for regular levels - if you need more screens than that you probably should just make two levels anyway - but as the goal is "anything goes" I can see value in only enforcing a size cap for compilation levels.

My main concern are levels that are needlessly long - long for the sake of "using all the space I'm permitted" rather than for the sake of "the level flows better if I add more here or there" (see the last few screens of Revenge Of Switches Pressed for an example of what I'm talking about)... which now that I think about it a limit in sections wouldn't actually help with that, would it?
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

raekuul wrote: 3 years ago
xfix wrote: 3 years ago
raekuul wrote: 3 years agoMay I suggest, in the interest of basically everyone's sanity, that there be a screen count limit for individual levels? Watching ASMT 11th Anniversary - particularly the King Charles' Castle sublevels - showed a tendency towards needlessly long levels (yes, that includes both my level and my KCC sublevel).

I was thinking of a "two levels' worth of screens" type limit for regular levels - if you need more screens than that you probably should just make two levels anyway - but as the goal is "anything goes" I can see value in only enforcing a size cap for compilation levels.

My main concern are levels that are needlessly long - long for the sake of "using all the space I'm permitted" rather than for the sake of "the level flows better if I add more here or there" (see the last few screens of Revenge Of Switches Pressed for an example of what I'm talking about)... which now that I think about it a limit in sections wouldn't actually help with that, would it?
Yeah, so the thing is, Revenge Of Switches Pressed is a rather short level, even if there were limits on level screen usage or amount of time the player is allowed to spend in a level, those limits would be meaningless for it.

My plan for overly long levels is to review every single level that will be submitted to A3MT and suggest possible improvements. Applying the suggestions won't be mandatory, but I will try to explain why it's a good idea to change something in a level.

I don't want to set up level length limits as length by itself is not a bad thing. Sure, often levels are unreasonably long even when it's clear that the level author didn't really have any ideas, and that is a problem, but one I think will be recognized by testing the levels. For example of a long level that works despite its length, consider Bridge Engineering in JUMP - a huge level that keeps using its gimmick in different ways.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Bridge Engineering in JUMP is neither needlessly long nor simply "using all available space" and is exactly the counterpoint I should have included.

Though since each submitted level is getting suggestions for the author to review, I guess it's a moot point since we'll catch space-filling extensions earlier.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Something to consider as well, but if multiple checkpoints are available for use, then overly long levels shouldn't be too much of an issue outside of raocow one-more-leveling.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

oh yeah can we please have fast resets in hard levels too that would be great thanks
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

All right, I downloaded all of the suggested tools in the first post and I'll start messing around in Lunar Magic this week. Turns out I still had Version 1.62 in my files after all these years. Never made anything with it, though.

So, it's not yet clear to me if this collab has effectively merged with A3MT, if it's going to be a separate thing, or if it's still too early to tell. But if it's separate, then I really liked the name "A2.5MT" that was floated around in the Shoutbox. Here are some other titles/subtitles that I came up with while I was in the shower, with varying degrees of stupidity:

A2.5MT: This is a Demo
A2.5MT: The Wettening
A2MT Jr.: The Son of Sam
A2MT2: 2 Many 2s
A2MT2: 2 Much 2 Soon
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

no it has to be a kingdom hearts pastiche. we have to make it as stupid as possible while not going full purple monkey dishwasher or going full "over 20 lbs of pussy and ass"
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

No no, this is Demo is Missing. The geographically educational ASMT side game.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago
AUS wrote: 3 years ago oh yeah can we please have fast resets in hard levels too that would be great thanks
INSTANT RETRY IN ALL LEVELS, 1UPS JUST FOR CHECKPOINTS, INFINITE LIVES.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
okay maybe not all levels. if i recall correctly, instant retry puts a midpoint at every room. but in like, a puzzle level, it might not make sense for you to be able to restart in every single room
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

admacXx2
freelance duck
First name: Adam

Post by admacXx2 »

I just downloaded all of the updated tools necessary for this little collab and I'm already super hyped.

However I'm unsure about the direction it's going as of now. Is it a stand alone game or is it going to tie into the ASMT universe?

Also, do we yet have a way to reserve level numbers?
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

Might as well start sketching out some basic designs for levels .

Instant retry would allow creators to make more difficult levels which would feel more in style with the Luigi Thing games. It's an idea this newbie supports fully.

And I really like the title A2MT2: 2 many 2s
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LethalBrownies wrote: 3 years ago Might as well start sketching out some basic designs for levels .

Instant retry would allow creators to make more difficult levels which would feel more in style with the Luigi Thing games. It's an idea this newbie supports fully.

And I really like the title A2MT2: 2 many 2s
Don't get too ahead of yourself, xfix is still in the middle of buying a house. I am making a Castlevania themed level though (centered around a whip and subweapon mechanic) but I'm planning to also yeet it onto a level compilation later on rather than just keep it exclusive to a collab, should it happen. Think how carol handled their VIP2 stages.

Also you could just ask the mods to change your name instead of creating a new account lol
Image Image
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Don't get too ahead of yourself, xfix is still in the middle of buying a house. I am making a Castlevania themed level though (centered around a whip and subweapon mechanic) but I'm planning to also yeet it onto a level compilation later on rather than just keep it exclusive to a collab, should it happen. Think how carol handled their VIP2 stages.
That gimmick sounds awfully familiar. Has that ever been done in a hack before? It reminds me of the Mega Man leaf shield power up in Brutal Mario, haha~

I need to get back into the swing of making levels anyway. It's been a solid year since I made one and I need to brush up on all the concepts.
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Also you could just ask the mods to change your name instead of creating a new account lol
Too late now! :mrgreen: I've already deleted my saved password for that account so I won't be logging back into it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LethalBrownies wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Don't get too ahead of yourself, xfix is still in the middle of buying a house. I am making a Castlevania themed level though (centered around a whip and subweapon mechanic) but I'm planning to also yeet it onto a level compilation later on rather than just keep it exclusive to a collab, should it happen. Think how carol handled their VIP2 stages.
That gimmick sounds awfully familiar. Has that ever been done in a hack before? It reminds me of the Mega Man leaf shield power up in Brutal Luigi, haha~
Not sure like, according to HatKid on the romhack general I made, someone was trying to recreate Dracula X in smoo once

I actually recreated carol's Leaf Shield to practice sprite making, it and Akaginite's SMB3 burner from Air ship in VIP5 helped me learn state machines.
Image Image
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago I actually recreated carol's Leaf Shield to practice sprite making, it and Akaginite's SMB3 burner from Air ship in VIP5 helped me learn state machines.
I give massive props to anyone who can work with and create asm mechanics in Mario World. It's way outside my pay grade. So good on you for being able to learn from existing material.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LethalBrownies wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago I actually recreated carol's Leaf Shield to practice sprite making, it and Akaginite's SMB3 burner from Air ship in VIP5 helped me learn state machines.
I give massive props to anyone who can work with and create asm mechanics in Luigi World. It's way outside my pay grade. So good on you for being able to learn from existing material.
tysm. ASM is really hard to work with, so it's appreciated.
I think Sonikku did a Thwimp King for a hack by Gregor once (he helped with a Super Monkey Ball inspired game iirc if you've heard of that, it stars a college aged cat girl who studies arts)
Image Image
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

Casually waiting for this project to take off like :demo: :iris:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LethalBrownies wrote: 3 years ago Casually waiting for this project to take off like :demo: :iris:
xfix is in the middle of buying a house and whatnot so, not for a few months. Please wait warmly until it is ready m(_ _)m
Image Image