(shouting)

Mighty Redone - a sprite mod for Sonic Mania Plus

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Mighty Redone - a sprite mod for Sonic Mania Plus

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

howdy all! i've been posting about this plenty on twitter and occasionally in my thread in art showcase, but i've been working on an art & animation mod for Sonic Mania Plus that reworks the sprites for Mighty the Armadillo, one of the two characters added to the game through the Plus DLC/retail expansion. both characters added in Plus are lacking in a few ways, art-wise, but i have a specific attachment to Mighty that fueled me working on reshading, redrawing, and reanimating him to this degree. (Sonic Mania has a lot of animations per character and a lot of frames per animation!!!)

the mod isn't finished yet, but it's getting pretty close! the above video showcases Mighty's original sprites vs. my edits in a simple playthrough of Green Hill Zone Act 1 and has a voiceover where i go over the goals of and motivations behind the project.

if you'd like to see more, i've posted a bunch of animations and videos on twitter already like i mentioned up up! you can find a bunch of stuff scattered in my media tab, or you can look at this comparison gif thread to see a lot of the content i've made for Mighty Redone:

https://twitter.com/crappyblue/status/1 ... 3089410048

i'm hoping to get this thing wrapped up somewhere in the next month, hopefully! out of effectively 80-ish(!!) animations, i've got roughly 10 left to do, but one of them is a 24-frame monstrosity:

and another is a subpixeling mess:

both of which involve a lot of redrawing since their base sprites are different now... which is why they've ended up in this final pool of "animations i put off until this point"
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Nast

Re: Mighty Redone - a sprite mod for Sonic Mania Plus

Post by Nast »

This looks great! I never even thought that Mighty's sprites needed improvement, but the subtle changes do add more personality to the character. I did always find his victory animation a bit strange, so that replacement in particular is very appreciated. It's too bad I only own Plus on PS4 :slow:
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Mighty Redone - a sprite mod for Sonic Mania Plus

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i finished all the mini mighty animations for Metallic Madness Act 2, so i made a silly little video to showcase a bunch of them in gameplay!
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!