(shouting)

2D platformer, "inspired" by SMW that I'm making

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
konaa
ultimate poser

2D platformer, "inspired" by SMW that I'm making

Post by konaa »

Hey everybody, I've been working for a while now on this 2D platformer. It's made in Unity and all the resources are from scratch. That's uh, maybe not fully advisable because I'm no artist, but it was a neat challenge and I think it's turned out not so bad so far.

I've got three worlds done. There's obviously some """"influences"""" from SMW. That said, I also take inspiration from plenty of other SNES and genesis 2d platformers, especially an obsession with gimmicks that Donkey Kong Country (and for that matter talkhaus) has.

The whole thing is still in development so expect some jank, but I've tried to tune it up a little bit for this "demo". I'm an idiot programmer so as of now the key bindings are locked and you'll need to use JoyToKey if you want a controller. Saving and loading is implemented, but I haven't actually decided what in the game will trigger it. Right now you can save anywhere on the overworld by pressing S.

Controls
  • Z: Jump, Shoot
  • X: Run, Focus Fire
  • P: Pause
Some Screenshots!
screen1.png
screen1.png (338.52 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
screen2.png
screen2.png (575.81 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
screen3.png
screen3.png (263.21 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
screen4.png
screen4.png (448.61 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
screen5.png
screen5.png (79.12 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
You can download it here

Obviously any feedback is appreciated, it's still very much a work in progress! If something makes you go "f this game" and quit, that's top priority for me to fix, so don't be shy of telling me when you got bored or what jank annoyed you into quitting.

Hope you enjoy!!
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: 2D platformer, "inspired" by SMW that I'm making

Post by Emral »

I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

Hey I don't know if anybody played it or enjoyed it or what, but I've completed the base game which is 53 levels plus a final boss. This is like an alpha version. I'm still going to add a bit of postgame content, an ending, polish up the earlier (and worse) level, and touch up some of the graphics.

Other additions here
  • Tuned up the graphics a little
  • rewrote how the controls work, controllers are now natively supported and controls in general can be customized with the launcher thing
  • paralex scrolling
  • you can duck
  • pause menu on world map with a save option
  • added a barebones title screen for loading
  • redid the shmup sections to hopefully be a little more interesting
  • fixed the glitch with platforms that you can jump up through where your movement would go all weird
  • fixed how enemy collision works when you're invincible
I encourage you to try it out though! Tell me what you think! It can be downloaded over here here

screens:
screen1.png
screen1.png (481.7 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
screen2.png
screen2.png (233.49 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
screen3.png
screen3.png (560.28 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
screen4.png
screen4.png (333.33 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

Well people seem to be downloading it. I hope they're enjoying it, though the lack of replies seems to imply that they're not enjoying it. Oh well. This is gonna be my second last post! The game is basically done, and at this point I'm just making little tweaks and fixes here and there.

If you've played any former version I strongly encourage you to try this version. the jumping is better, there's npcs wit dialogue, and there's some secret special worlds. The game can be downloaded here

As per usual, any feedback is welcome because I've probably become way too used to this game to see a lot of its flaws!
Last edited by konaa 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

I love platformers so I'll give this a shot and offer my thoughts