(shouting)

Fixed and Translated hacks

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Fixed and Translated hacks

Post by Leet »

The batch file doesn't seem to work for me, just closes itself when I enter the right ROM name.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Are you sure that the .smc file is in the same folder as the batch file, that it's the VIP6 rom, and that you're entering it with the file extension (example: mix6_AAE.smc)?
If so, does it give any error message before it closes?

EDIT: only thing I can think of off the bat if it closes as soon as you enter the filename is that any antivirus you're running has blocked asar.exe in the asar folder (it's given me false positives before too). Please check if this is the case.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

If I can't find the file, it tells me so. It's only when it actually locates the file (and thus I have done everything involved correctly) that it just instantly closes with no messages.

Asar seems to work fine if I try to use it manually.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
This Eye o' Mine

Sorry about the problems. I've sent you a PM for a temporary solution.
It sounds like an operating system environment quirk that I'm not aware of, considering it's been tested to work for several other people.

If anybody else has this problem or has an idea about what may be causing it, please let me know.
This Eye o' Mine

I've updated the VIP6 download to contain an asm file that will apply all of the relevant patches as a fallback in case the batch file fails, with a relevant change to the instructions. The effects of the patches themselves have not been altered.
norwegianguy

Post by norwegianguy »

Hi. I tried to patch the Vip 6 translation patch. But it doesn't work for some reason. The main method fails, and when i tried the ASAR backup method that fails too. What's weird is, i've patched the file using Lunar IPS correctly. And i can play the ROM just fine using both a Zsnes and Snesx9 emulator, but when i try to make the patcher work it says the "file name is garbage" which i do not understand.
Here is attached a picture of what i see.
Can someone help me solve this problem? How do i apply the translation patch to my ROM?
This Eye o' Mine

Your ROM appears to be an SFC file. SNES roms come in the flavors of SFC and SMC, which are commonly (though not necessarily) distinguished by SMC files having a useless 512 ($200 hex) byte header, while SFC don't. Asar seems to assume that this rule is true, while I suspect your file does in fact have a copy header, causing Asar to access the file wrong.

To solve it, you can either remove the copy header in a hex editor, or (more simply) change the file extension to .smc before patching.
Since it looks like you have showing of file extensions turned off for files with program associations, here's how you do that:

Go to the 'View' tab in File Explorer (or whatever the tab is called in your language, it's the right most tab under the title bar) and click the middle check box in the column of three, the one that mentions file name extensions.
Now you can change the .sfc in the file name to .smc, and the patching should work.
Last edited by This Eye o' Mine 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
norwegianguy

Post by norwegianguy »

Thank you so much. I renamed the file to SMC as you said, and now the process works just fine.
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

Once again I must take off my hat for you amazing work. Thank you so much, to everyone on the team. I owe you eternally.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

This Eye o' Mine

Most likely it's objecting to the file 'asar.exe'. Comments on that piece of software on SMWC seem to have been mentioning virus false positives in the past couple months. For what it's worth I can assure you we didn't put anything harmful in there, so it's probably just the anti-malware software freaking out because it doesn't recognize the executable and not taking any chances. Try downloading Asar from SMWC at https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=19043 and scanning it to see what it thinks of that.

As for S Mario, it's on our list. Don't know if we'll be doing it next, but it'll probably get done at some point. For now there's another one almost done that I'll try to get up some time soon.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Skye

Post by Skye »

This Eye o' Mine

Yeah, a chance.
This Eye o' Mine

UPDATE: After far too long of a delay Scarlet Devil Mario 2 is now translated, fixed, and up.
This Eye o' Mine

UPDATE:
Bless thee, ASPE! Bless thee! Thou art translated.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

Skye

Post by Skye »

This Eye o' Mine

Thanks for your report. However, it's likely that what you're hearing isn't what the fix note refers to. Is it a really loud noise that could be compared to something like a gunshot or dropping a hammer on a metal floor? If you mean you hear what sounds like remnants of the echo from a previously played track when a new track with echo plays, then that's normal for the addmusic tool used by this hack, and is prevalent even on snes9x which this hack seems designed for.

Testing it back now, I do notice a light crackling noise at the start of two of the tracks you mentioned. If it's this you're referring to, then I'm afraid it's probably outside of my power to do anything about it, as I'm not sure what's causing that. I might look into it, but I can't guarantee it's something that will be fixed.

If it's the gunshot then please tell me what version of what emulator (or console) you're playing this on.
Skye

Post by Skye »

This Eye o' Mine

That sound glitch is not the gunshot sound that I was referring to. It's kind of hard to make out since the audio in that recording seems a bit jittery in general, but the one point you linked when going to the special world seems like it's what was playing when you hit the goal tape on the 'Hope You Haven't Hit Those Switches' level. This is indeed the behavior of the addmusic system used in this hack as it would function on Snes9x at the time as far as I'm aware, which I think would represent the typical user experience, so while it is a bug, it is not a compatibility bug.

As for the other things, 'palace switches' is a term I tend to use to refer to the colored switches that are found in the palaces. The "it" instead of "they" is indeed a mistake. I recall I wrote singular "Thwomp" in my initial draft, then realized it was referring to multiple Thwomps and I must've sloppily forgotten to change the next sentence. The note needing to be unlocked is another oversight due to a change that is hard to explain, but it comes down to us originally knowing that there was an easter-egg in this level but not being certain what it was, then finding a bonus room involving Sakura Trick in the ROM while flipping through the maps in Lunar Magic, assuming that would be the secret and writing a note for it, only to later figure out what the easter egg was and that it had nothing to do with that map (the actual easter egg is a hard mode for the boss fight that happens when you enter the boss door when the timer is 388). We took the explanation for the non-existent bonus room out but I forgot to set the spoiler flag back. Thanks for pointing these out, I'll make a note for if I ever make an update.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Skye

Post by Skye »

This Eye o' Mine

UPDATE:

S Mario is now translated and fixed.
Skye wrote: 3 years ago I'm really sorry for bumping this thread again because of ASPE, but shouldn't (^ ω ^)Horse lololol have a translation note mentioning how Yoshi is sometimes degradingly referred to as "Detteiu" by some Japanese Mario fans, and how "Detteiu" is localized as "Horse" in these translations? I realize that it's probably not an issue for people who actively watch raocow and know about the meme from the VIP series, which is obviously going to apply to most people playing these translations. However, for the few people who'd need an explanation, shouldn't there be a translation note addressing "Detteiu" being translated as "Horse", especially considering the fact that VIP 6 has a note about that?
EDIT: I think this also would apply to the Yoshi message in Prickly 'n Thorny in 8 Powers.
Those are oversights, I suppose. We made sure to include it in S Mario.