(shouting)

VLDC9 inspired me to make a smw hack of my own

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Anthoniks

VLDC9 inspired me to make a smw hack of my own

Post by Anthoniks »

So after watching raocow's lp of vldc9 and seeing so many great levels, I got a spark of motivation to do a hack of my own. I started it yesterday and did one level for it. Now what I was thinking is: since I'm not super experienced in the ways of hacking and level design and ASM and all that, I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out with tips or even collab on this, since it could be a fun little project to do.

Here's the first very mediocre level I've made.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: VLDC9 inspired me to make a smw hack of my own

Post by ft029 »

Definitely way better than the first levels I made (muncher mazes). I would recommend focusing less on decoration (those dirt formations do not look good. They are a thing of the past) and trying to think about how the player will meet certain obstacles. Make sure each sprite has a purpose. Do not place rexes around to "fill up space".

Good luck.
Mosts Awards:
Anthoniks

Post by Anthoniks »

Thanks for the tips! Already got rid of those. To be honest I thought they looked cool but when playing I knew they were gonna be a little too much. This is why I asked for tips, I'm not used to making these xD
Anthoniks

Post by Anthoniks »

Update: turns out I am a noob (god it's 2017 and i use that word yikes) and don't really know much in the way of custom graphics nor changing up vanilla graphics. And the tutorials I find online aren't the most helpful imo...so any help with this hack would be awesome!
Cobsters
big fat bozo idiot haha
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Cobsters »

I think you might enjoy this tutorial in particular: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=89733
Anthoniks

Re: ok so new idea™

Post by Anthoniks »

8 months later of me trying to design stuff and not having much success for various reasons i kinda wanted to pitch a project to all y'alls. ok hear me out. so i recently got Mario Maker going on my wii u emulator and i find making levels there much easier than lunar magic or the smbx 2.0 editor.
so what would be cool is if a few of you that really know the ways of making levels in smbx teamed up with me so we could all design a neat lil episode filled with fun ideas.
how that would work is i'd initially design levels in mario maker and someone else ported them to smbx. i know that sounds time consuming but it would be a good time, making a fun game for ppl to play, right?
so yeah that's my idea! lemme know what you think of it :D
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

There are a lot of features in Mario maker not yet existing in SMBX and vice versa. Would be best to just download PGE editor and SMBX yourself and try it out for a spin
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Anthoniks

Re: ok so new idea™

Post by Anthoniks »

i realized that after but didn't really edit the post
and i have done that though i didn't really make any progress because a lot of what i'm after to do would require lua and coding is probably the most complicated thing for me to understand...and as great as doing vanilla stuff would be, i kinda wanted to do more simply after how much i've seen smbx 2.0 was able to do in LCJ
and yeah there aren't features of one game on the other and vice versa, however it doesn't need to be a completely identical recreation, as things could be remixed or added in.