Anyways none of that is important, what's important is I'm toying with a NES-ish Kirby game engine, whenever I've got free time at least! Blame raocow's KA playthrough.
So far, I've got a decent chunk of Kirby features in already, most modeled after Kirby's Adventure but sometimes with modern Kirby tweaks.
- Dashing, which doesn't go away if you turn ala Smash Bros
- Sliding, which can go in 8 pixel tall holes
- Jumping with KA style physics(which I guess are like Mega Man's?)
- Falling on Kirby's face if falling far enough
- Tap down in the air twice to fall quickly like the new games
- Bonking on walls when you run, jump, fall, etc
- Different idle/walk/bonk sprite angles for slopes(a tiny bit wonky still)
- Un-flying puff thingy
- Climbing(which is a default feature of the platform engine I'm using actually so nevermind)
- Exhaling stars
- Exhaling bigger stars depending on the number of enemies
- ... no swallowing or abilities yet because that's when I got swamped with stuff a few days ago, dang
- Various engine preparations for both having lots of abilities and potentially different characters(ala Meta Knightmare)
- Okay so abilities aren't in yet but I've experimented with this before I swear
If I finished this, put in a bunch of abilities both old and new(think Kirby Super Star style, giving each one several attacks), toss in enemies/minibosses, added enough features, and tossed a level editor at you all(It would use a program called Tiled Map Editor, a free map editor that was used by games like Shovel Knight), would anyone be interested in a Make A Good Kirby Level Contest when it's fleshed out? What would you all like to see in the engine? Should I do polls to find out what enemies or gimmicks people might want? Would you all still like to see at least SOME kinda Kirby thing if the contest wouldn't interest you all?
(Is this even the right place to post it? I want to Showcase a Project, but I also want to maybe Center a Contest, but, only after checking what people think.)