pge projectsmw centralirc.cat.bio

happy birthday talkhaus!!!

Ruby Winds - a GB Zelda-inspired Indie game

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
S.N.N.

Ruby Winds - a GB Zelda-inspired Indie game

Postby S.N.N. » 8 months ago

Hi.

This is a project I have been working on fairly religiously since March. I've probably thrown like 800+ hours into it at this point because I guess I have nothing better to do with my time??

The gameplay is similar to Oracle of Seasons/Ages, and most of my inspiration was pulled from that series. The player's main weapon is a bow, and you can see it + some puzzles I have planned with it in action in the videos below. I've done all of the music, graphics, gameplay, coding, etc. myself, and naturally I'm not good at everything, so I expect you'll notice some imperfections and whatnot, but hey!

---VIDEOS:---

This is a gameplay sample I put up today. It shows a couple of general things, including the various attacks that the player can use, some of the enemies/graphics, the music, and a bit of the area itself. There are a couple of things I'd like to improve - namely, how the HUD looks and the screen transitions (still not sure how I want to handle these, but I don't really want to go the GB Zelda route of screen-scrolling).

A slightly older video with outdated graphics, but it shows a couple of additional enemies, as well as a brief look at one of the dungeons.

Another slightly older video, which further builds on the "doppelganger" ability from the first video. It shows a couple of puzzles I've built with it.

---SCREENSHOTS---
If you can't/don't want to view the videos for some reason, here are a couple of stills:

Small sample of a moonlight effect I've been working on.

Being chased by a mimic and two undead lovers.

Some dialogue.

---MUSIC:---
All of the game's music is in the OGG format for seamless looping. FamiTracker and FL Studio have been used for the compositions.

The Featherwood: the first main area of the game.
Beryl Ruins: the first dungeon, seen in the videos above.
Pearlopolis Central Station: the second dungeon, built inside of a giant pearl.
Metamos Quarries: another overworld area.
Mini-Boss: a mini-boss theme.

---THAT'S ALL!---
Thanks for taking a look at this thread. I've actually built a site for the game which I'm doubling as a devlog, and I post semi-regular updates on Twitter for it.

Site/Devlog
Twitter

Comments/feedback/whatever is welcome. Enjoy!

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Ruby Winds - a GB Zelda-inspired Indie game

Postby Jesuiscontent » 8 months ago

Intredasting. The capcom zeldas were always my favorites so I'll definitely check this out

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 8 months ago

The graphics look pretty cool so far. They fit together well.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

Part of me feels like writing her name over and over again
...I should not give up.
💔

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 7 months ago

I made my HUD, dialogue boxes, and font less shit. Huzzah!

Old

New

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 7 months ago

Rad yo
now let me into your cool gang

FrozenQuills
ok flair 2017

Postby FrozenQuills » 4 months ago

This looks pretty awesome.
Did you code the engine yourself? I've been looking around to maybe start making a game myself sometime.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
MaGLX2 Level Commentaries (updated up to 169th place) + My entry
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 4
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016)

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 4 months ago

Thanks! I've been using Construct 2 as the base for it (akin to Unity or Game Maker, but it uses Node.js to create executables for Steam/other platforms). Like Game Maker/Unity, it does include some base "templates" to start off with, but I found that none of them really did what I wanted, so yes, everything down to the physics is pretty much coded from scratch.

..also, it seems like I forgot to post my most recent update here. I redrew my dungeon graphics since they were horrendously outdated.

Old and terrible

New and less terrible

I still want to redraw the fire at some point.

Return to “project showcase”