(shouting)

A2MT Complete! 1.9.5 Released!

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
TheMario90

Re: A2MT Complete Almost (Only Chests left)! UPDATE 1.7 IS OUT!

Post by TheMario90 »

It turns out the arrow sprites were causing this but anyway...
Tobi555 wrote:I would use cheat codes to get to certain levels for editing rather than placing tiles
This is exactly why I don't use codes for testing because it leads discovering things like this. Mind sharing what your solution was about the arrow sprites messing stuff up when I inserted them for you? Just want to make sure its not breaking things.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:It turns out the arrow sprites were causing this but anyway...
Tobi555 wrote:I would use cheat codes to get to certain levels for editing rather than placing tiles
This is exactly why I don't use codes for testing because it leads discovering things like this. Mind sharing what your solution was about the arrow sprites messing stuff up when I inserted them for you? Just want to make sure its not breaking things.
I added the exgfx file to every submap because before when you sent it to terra it was only applied to the main overworld so when you would go to a submap the graphics for the arrows would mess up. Once I made SP2 exgfx 300 to the submaps it fixed the arrow issues. Then I reinserted the background behind demo by re-adding the tile it uses to exgfx 300. Do you have an idea how to fix the disappearing on the overworld? So far that's only an issue with that stage. I got through 1/4th of the game after the arrow patch was applied and everythings been fine. EDIT: Remember you also gave me the asm patch for the switch palaces that I applied.
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Alright, I figured out what it is. That level uses ram that conflicts with a flag used to move all sprites off screen on the overworld if you ever wanted to for some reason. Funny enough the ram used for the overworld to do this seems to be going out of its way to prevent a conflict and yet this level did it anyway.

The solution is simple, doesn't warrant you having to restart the game again for this also. You should have the patches for the arrows I sent you, just reapply them using the edits I'm about to point out here:
In owsp.asm find this line and delete it.
LDA $7FFF80
BNE +

In Spritecode.asm find this line and delete it.
LDA $7FFF80
BNE Return02

By the way there isn't a graphic for the pokemon trainer tip chest so I'll need one for that too.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:Alright, I figured out what it is. That level uses ram that conflicts with a flag used to move all sprites off screen on the overworld if you ever wanted to for some reason. Funny enough the ram used for the overworld to do this seems to be going out of its way to prevent a conflict and yet this level did it anyway.

The solution is simple, doesn't warrant you having to restart the game again for this also. You should have the patches for the arrows I sent you, just reapply them using the edits I'm about to point out here:
In owsp.asm find this line and delete it.
LDA $7FFF80
BNE +

In Spritecode.asm find this line and delete it.
LDA $7FFF80
BNE Return02

By the way there isn't a graphic for the pokemon trainer tip chest so I'll need one for that too.
Oh ok good phew at least it wasn't something major XD Will the finished IPS your working on have this edited code to? Yea I've got a couple sprites for already inserted chests I've just been waiting for more sprites to get done before sending em your way because I only have 3.
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Alright, all the chest text is done. Tomorrow I'll fill in the graphics for the new chests for the ones you already gave me. After that its just waiting for the rest to be made. And to answer you, yes of course the IPS I'll be sending you will already have that fix applied.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:Alright, all the chest text is done. Tomorrow I'll fill in the graphics for the new chests for the ones you already gave me. After that its just waiting for the rest to be made. And to answer you, yes of course the IPS I'll be sending you will already have that fix applied.
Sweet! Thank you so much! Did you redo chest 130 and replace it with 1 of the new items? :) I've been waiting for the graphics to be done in huge clumps but if i don't get any today I'll send you the 3 that I have tomorrow.
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Did you redo chest 130 and replace it with 1 of the new items?
Yup, that's done.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Did you redo chest 130 and replace it with 1 of the new items?
Yup, that's done.
Ok thanks your a life saver! I really appreciate everything your doing man :) Also 1 more thing I can think of, did you edit the longer names asm to give level 129 it's name? C:
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Ok thanks your a life saver! I really appreciate everything your doing man :) Also 1 more thing I can think of, did you edit the longer names asm to give level 129 it's name? C:
That's done as well. Also, I forgot to mention, a few levels have some coding going on that mess with the screen settings. It changes the priority of the layers and sprite tiles, and these partiular levels do it in such a way that the text box covers up the item in the chest. There's no easy way for me to find those settings because they're very tiny pieces of code among millons of bytes so my solution was to display the item above Demo's head instead on those levels. Just giving you a heads up on that for when you test this the final time.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Ok thanks your a life saver! I really appreciate everything your doing man :) Also 1 more thing I can think of, did you edit the longer names asm to give level 129 it's name? C:
That's done as well. Also, I forgot to mention, a few levels have some coding going on that mess with the screen settings. It changes the priority of the layers and sprite tiles, and these partiular levels do it in such a way that the text box covers up the item in the chest. There's no easy way for me to find those settings because they're very tiny pieces of code among millons of bytes so my solution was to display the item above Demo's head instead on those levels. Just giving you a heads up on that for when you test this the final time.
Can't you just go into lunar magic and disable "Force layer 3 tiles with priority"? From the Layer 3 menu? Or would that screw up the level? EDIT: Also if that doesn't work I appreciate you doing the work around :) Does it look outta place though? EDIT2: I remember there was a placeholder graphic for the chest in Sodium Fortrate that wasn't showing so I disabled that option and the graphic showed up on the text box again. Of course the situation your talking about may be extremely different from that.
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Can't you just go into lunar magic and disable "Force layer 3 tiles with priority"? From the Layer 3 menu? Or would that screw up the level? EDIT: Also if that doesn't work I appreciate you doing the work around :) Does it look outta place though?
That box shouldn't affect that. And the advanced settings would never be checked on any level because A2MT was made long before Lunar Magic had layer 3 support natively. If you wanted to change the screen settings you had to do so with levelasm. I already attempted to disable the levels screen settings and restore them when the message box is gone but the settings are being written to every frame the game is running so nothing I do will have any effect, hence this solution. As for it looking out of place, there's not really any other place to put the item on screen other than above Demo because that'll definitely look out place anywhere else.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Can't you just go into lunar magic and disable "Force layer 3 tiles with priority"? From the Layer 3 menu? Or would that screw up the level? EDIT: Also if that doesn't work I appreciate you doing the work around :) Does it look outta place though?
That box shouldn't affect that. And the advanced settings would never be checked on any level because A2MT was made long before Lunar Magic had layer 3 support natively. If you wanted to change the screen settings you had to do so with levelasm. I already attempted to disable the levels screen settings and restore them when the message box is gone but the settings are being written to every frame the game is running so nothing I do will have any effect, hence this solution. As for it looking out of place, there's not really any other place to put the item on screen other than above Demo because that'll definitely look out place anywhere else.
Do you have a guestimate how many are like this? EDIT: Would you mind sending me a copy of what you have so far?
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Do you have a guestimate how many are like this? EDIT: Would you mind sending me a copy of what you have so far?
No need to guess since I already did all the chests. Its only 3 levels that do this. Also I'll PM you an IPS of all the changes in a little bit.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Do you have a guestimate how many are like this? EDIT: Would you mind sending me a copy of what you have so far?
No need to guess since I already did all the chests. Its only 3 levels that do this. Also I'll PM you an IPS of all the changes in a little bit.
Oh ok :) Which ones have this issue? I'm gonna take a guess that one of them is Painting the treehouse or onwards to moscow
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Oh ok :) Which ones have this issue? I'm gonna take a guess that one of them is Painting the treehouse or onwards to moscow
Block fort, Aerial Athletics, and Wrathful Romp.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Oh ok :) Which ones have this issue? I'm gonna take a guess that one of them is Painting the treehouse or onwards to moscow
Block fort, Aerial Athletics, and Wrathful Romp.
Man that's super unfortunate :/ How did they work before then? when the chests we're empty? I'm pretty sure the placeholder graphic was in the right spot for raocows playthrough
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

I was actually mistaken about Aerial Atheltics because that chest actually appears in a sublevel where the screen settings are normal and not the main level where they're messed with. I just simply forgot to check the sublevel like I did with all the others. The other 2 however definitely either weren't coded in or are bugged so there's no other way around it. To confirm that I even went to raocow's videos and they didn't show up there either.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:I was actually mistaken about Aerial Atheltics because that chest actually appears in a sublevel where the screen settings are normal and not the main level where they're messed with. I just simply forgot to check the sublevel like I did with all the others. The other 2 however definitely either weren't coded in or are bugged so there's no other way around it. To confirm that I even went to raocow's videos and they didn't show up there either.
Oh ok that's fine at least they'll show up. :) It's one of those side effects from bad communication back then unfortunately. Level 129 doesn't have it's name show up is this a recent addition to your copy? One more thing since your waiting on the graphics. I'm not sure if this can be fixed or I'm gonna have to change the music but, the songs in slot 92 and 94 are pitched differently when it comes to the goal theme and death jingle is this fixable in its current state or no? If not it's not a big deal I can just change the music when you give me the final copy :) This only affects 3 levels
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Oh ok that's fine at least they'll show up. :) It's one of those side effects from bad communication back then unfortunately. Level 129 doesn't have it's name show up is this a recent addition to your copy? One more thing since your waiting on the graphics. I'm not sure if this can be fixed or I'm gonna have to change the music but, the songs in slot 92 and 94 are pitched differently when it comes to the goal theme and death jingle is this fixable in its current state or no? If not it's not a big deal I can just change the music when you give me the final copy :) This only affects 3 levels
The way I prepared the copy you have was just using the last ips you gave me and then patching all the changes I made. I must've forgot to include the level name. Its still on my copy. I'll just send the level name patch to you in a PM. As for the music, since A2MT is an older hack its definitely not something you want to touch without things breaking. That's just gonna have to stay as is.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Oh ok that's fine at least they'll show up. :) It's one of those side effects from bad communication back then unfortunately. Level 129 doesn't have it's name show up is this a recent addition to your copy? One more thing since your waiting on the graphics. I'm not sure if this can be fixed or I'm gonna have to change the music but, the songs in slot 92 and 94 are pitched differently when it comes to the goal theme and death jingle is this fixable in its current state or no? If not it's not a big deal I can just change the music when you give me the final copy :) This only affects 3 levels
The way I prepared the copy you have was just using the last ips you gave me and then patching all the changes I made. I must've forgot to include the level name. Its still on my copy. I'll just send the level name patch to you in a PM. As for the music, since A2MT is an older hack its definitely not something you want to touch without things breaking. That's just gonna have to stay as is.
Ok that's fine don't worry about the level name patch I'm just looking over the changes :) Your doing all this work anyways XD I got a couple PNG's for you for some chests C:

EDIT: It didn't work for some reason I'll just wait for the full one when it's already inserted C:
Attachments
The Answer.png
The Answer.png (322 Bytes) Viewed 6037 times
Odd papers.png
Odd papers.png (342 Bytes) Viewed 6037 times
Golden P Switch.png
Golden P Switch.png (442 Bytes) Viewed 6037 times
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Even though its unimportant, I'll still explain anyway. First it should be in the folder with the rest of the patches I sent you, and secondly don't use a savestate to check it. Overworld stuff is usually only loaded once when the game starts.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:Even though its unimportant, I'll still explain anyway. First it should be in the folder with the rest of the patches I sent you, and secondly don't use a savestate to check it. Overworld stuff is usually only loaded once when the game starts.
Yea I've always used the game to tell me overworld differences not save states because of that reason XD Nevermind I derped I know what I did wrong while patching :P EDIT: Also when you view the treasure gallery, leave, and enter a level the graphics all screw up. There's also a broken tile on the overworld underneath Starlight resort whenever you enter a level and leave that tile will change colors. I don't know if you know about any of these issues or if it's only me. As long as your not experiencing these issues in your copy EDIT2: I take it that the weird broken paths are a result of being able to freely walk around for editing or something? XD EDIT3: Also 3 sublevels for Betrayal rock are destroyed. EDIT4: Nevermind I fixed it I just reinserted em. Wonder why they were like garbage XD Are any of these or have any of these issues been on your main copy? Maybe it's because I didn't apply certain patches, etc. I just wanna make sure you know about these in case they are happening on your main copy :)
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Yea I've always used the game to tell me overworld differences not save states because of that reason XD Nevermind I derped I know what I did wrong while patching :P EDIT: Also when you view the treasure gallery, leave, and enter a level the graphics all screw up. There's also a broken tile on the overworld underneath Starlight resort whenever you enter a level and leave that tile will change colors. I don't know if you know about any of these issues or if it's only me. As long as your not experiencing these issues in your copy EDIT2: I take it that the weird broken paths are a result of being able to freely walk around for editing or something? XD EDIT3: Also 3 sublevels for Betrayal rock are destroyed. EDIT4: Nevermind I fixed it I just reinserted em. Wonder why they were like garbage XD Are any of these or have any of these issues been on your main copy? Maybe it's because I didn't apply certain patches, etc. I just wanna make sure you know about these in case they are happening on your main copy :)
1. Fixed the animated graphics screwing up.
2. Fixed that random tile under the mentioned level screwing up
3. Walking freely on the OW was just a debug code I simply didn't disable, no big deal there
4. Not sure what caused those sublevels to change but you already knew the fix so...

Didn't expect everything to be perfect when I sent this to you. If fact I expected these things entirely, after all I am trying to edit a pretty old hack.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Yea I've always used the game to tell me overworld differences not save states because of that reason XD Nevermind I derped I know what I did wrong while patching :P EDIT: Also when you view the treasure gallery, leave, and enter a level the graphics all screw up. There's also a broken tile on the overworld underneath Starlight resort whenever you enter a level and leave that tile will change colors. I don't know if you know about any of these issues or if it's only me. As long as your not experiencing these issues in your copy EDIT2: I take it that the weird broken paths are a result of being able to freely walk around for editing or something? XD EDIT3: Also 3 sublevels for Betrayal rock are destroyed. EDIT4: Nevermind I fixed it I just reinserted em. Wonder why they were like garbage XD Are any of these or have any of these issues been on your main copy? Maybe it's because I didn't apply certain patches, etc. I just wanna make sure you know about these in case they are happening on your main copy :)
1. Fixed the animated graphics screwing up.
2. Fixed that random tile under the mentioned level screwing up
3. Walking freely on the OW was just a debug code I simply didn't disable, no big deal there
4. Not sure what caused those sublevels to change but you already knew the fix so...

Didn't expect everything to be perfect when I sent this to you. If fact I expected these things entirely, after all I am trying to edit a pretty old hack.
Yea no problem man I didn't expect a work in progress version to be perfect either XD Just thought id let you know about these things since I was just messing around with it C: What was causing the graphics to replace with chest graphics when entering a level after viewing the treasure gallery?
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote:Yea no problem man I didn't expect a work in progress version to be perfect either XD Just thought id let you know about these things since I was just messing around with it C: What was causing the graphics to replace with chest graphics when entering a level after viewing the treasure gallery?
What I'm doing is manually uploading the graphics file containing the chest graphics for treasure gallery so my code swaps out graphics that aren't being used to keep them stored there. The issue with the animated tiles screwing up was from the fact that I forgot to restore them back when you exit the room. I sent you what should be everything completely fixed.