(shouting)

A2MT Complete! 1.9.5 Released!

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
MiracleWater

Re: A2MT Complete! 1.9.3 Released!

Post by MiracleWater »

Thanks for all the work you put into this Tobi, now go take a much needed break from A2MT.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

Thanks guys I will, remember if the continue screen pops up just click "quit" and continue from the title screen that way no progress is lost. :) Here's to A2XT Ep.2, hopefully this rekindles that excitement.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Question: Do P.Key's Mansion and Mail Delivery have normal exits, or just the secret ones? It's always hard to tell if a stage has multiple exits if it's not using the standard map icons.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote:Question: Do P.Key's Mansion and Mail Delivery have normal exits, or just the secret ones? It's always hard to tell if a stage has multiple exits if it's not using the standard map icons.
P.Key has 1 exit and Mail Delivery has 2 the package is a key and there's a goal post.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

In Demo's Wondrous Pitfall, either I'm missing something, or there's a major design flaw here:

That brown stuff at the top of the screen is solid. So there seems to be no viable way to get through there big. You don't have the room to slide-run properly, so you're guaranteed to fall into the pit. Even if the skull raft is still below, that pit is just slightly too deep to jump back out of. There also appears to be no way to take a hit there and become small, and even if you could, you'd miss the raft.

If that Pitfall ring does something, it's not obvious, since you can pass right through it.

Edit: It *is* actually technically possible, but basically requires a pixel-perfect jump. Very... annoying.

Moists:

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Re: A2MT Complete! 1.9.4 Released!

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote:In Demo's Wondrous Pitfall, either I'm missing something, or there's a major design flaw here:

That brown stuff at the top of the screen is solid. So there seems to be no viable way to get through there big. You don't have the room to slide-run properly, so you're guaranteed to fall into the pit. Even if the skull raft is still below, that pit is just slightly too deep to jump back out of. There also appears to be no way to take a hit there and become small, and even if you could, you'd miss the raft.

If that Pitfall ring does something, it's not obvious, since you can pass right through it.

Edit: It *is* actually technically possible, but basically requires a pixel-perfect jump. Very... annoying.
That one's a design thing the pitfall items are purely cosmetic. Also this level has a secret exit if you didn't know that already from the hidden message box :P

EDIT: A MAJOR issue with losing progress on Game Over has been fixed, I said no more updates but this one was crucial to fix, this fix was made by TheMario90, many thanks go to him and Wyatt for finding this issue.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

So, I... uh... ... :oops: I'm kinda... giving up. Sorta. I still plan to finish the game, but it was getting to the point where, even with save states, I found myself just getting angrier and angrier at having to deal with so much enemy spam and so many pixel-perfect jumps that I could just not pull off. I'm... going to have to resort to using cheat codes to finish the game.

A2MT was very much a product of its time, what with being made when kaizo hacks were all the rage... But there are just so many bad decisions that keep the game from being all that much fun for me. I can appreciate all the work that went into it, and Tobi, I want you to know that I'm not blaming you *at all*, nor am I angry at you. You did an *amazing* job in putting this all together in a way that works. My problem is on each and every individual stage designer and their complete lack of self-control when it came to throwing in more and more obstacles in their stages.

Yes, I know that first and foremost, A2MT was built to be LP'ed by raocow, who's both infinitely more patient and more knowledgeable about SMW and all its intricacies than I am. It was my decision to play it, and I don't regret it. But I acknowledge that I'm just not good enough to handle a game of this magnitude. Yeah, I'm going to see it through to the end, ultimately, even if I do have to cheat my way through it, and I am still going to update the SPC set. But I guess I've reached my breaking point and just kinda want it to end.

I almost feel like I'm letting people down with this post... which is kind of strange.

Moists:

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote: I almost feel like I'm letting people down with this post... which is kind of strange.
Don't beat yourself up man, I went into this beast fully knowing that it was practically guaranteed that people we're gonna get mad at it once it was finished. It's a time capsule game just like ASMT was. This game had a very different way of handling difficulty and it's something the Talkhaus learned from for future projects. I'm glad your gonna see it through to the end, cheats or not, I appreciate it. :)
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Tobi555 wrote:
A big bug report.
In the Cumulonismbastille, which has the longest level name, at the second half, imagine that you press a p switch after you eat a leek, leek song will end first, right? Originally, level music plays after leek song ends, but endless original SMW P switch song plays...
Also, that cloud part before the goal tape, if you go over the goal tape, you cannot finish the level. Players will be stuck. Wait until the time 0.. That's stupid.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

Jongseok wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:
A big bug report.
In the Cumulonismbastille, which has the longest level name, at the second half, imagine that you press a p switch after you eat a leek, leek song will end first, right? Originally, level music plays after leek song ends, but endless original SMW P switch song plays...
Also, that cloud part before the goal tape, if you go over the goal tape, you cannot finish the level. Players will be stuck. Wait until the time 0.. That's stupid.
Not really a big bug but it's whatever it just removes music for that level if you press the p switch while powered with a leek not sure what causes and don't feel super compelled to fix it, just a minor audio quirk. Why would you go over the goal to begin with? :lol:
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Sometimes there's stuff over the goal! I almost went over it myself but I was scared I'd get stuck. But I shouldn't have to be scared that the level designer would mess up like that!

Tbh every other level in this game has a some kind of major oversight like that one. If we ever did do the whole modernized a2mt thing I think most levels would have 5 to 10 things that deserve fixing. This isn't unusual, ASMT was the same way if you look at the ASMT 2.0 thread.

Having almost finished A2MT, it's clear that the game suffered from a lack of leadership way back when. No graphical consistency on custom blocks, little quality control on levels, zero quality control on music. We needed a romhacking god like JUMP's worldpeace to make sure the game was fair and cohesive, and we needed it years ago when the level designers were still here.

I've still been having a whole lot of fun playing the game, and Tobi (and Jong) I can't thank you enough for bringing everything together. But as Tobi said, it very much is a "time capsule game", and that's why it probably won't become popular like JUMP has.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Wyatt wrote: I've still been having a whole lot of fun playing the game, and Tobi (and Jong) I can't thank you enough for bringing everything together. But as Tobi said, it very much is a "time capsule game", and that's why it probably won't become popular like JUMP has.
Yes I agree with you. WE NEED A GOD OF HACKING like Worldpeace. Also, "stuck by autoscroll" is rude. Players can't do anything.
If that level doesn't have time limit, they must reset. A2MT 2.0 MUST NOT HAVE BUUUGGS. :D Have a nice day~
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well, I'm getting close to the end of A2MT. And I think I'm just about done with the SPC set update, though I'm gonna wait a day or so before uploading it.

Got a couple questions.

Does the final level have Parrot Coins and a chest? And regarding the SPC set, are there any additional songs I might be missing, such as a final boss theme, ending theme, something like that? And does B-Side have any additional music, or just the stage theme?

Moists:

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote:Well, I'm getting close to the end of A2MT. And I think I'm just about done with the SPC set update, though I'm gonna wait a day or so before uploading it.

Got a couple questions.

Does the final level have Parrot Coins and a chest? And regarding the SPC set, are there any additional songs I might be missing, such as a final boss theme, ending theme, something like that? And does B-Side have any additional music, or just the stage theme?
No it does not, after Trials of the Parrot it unlocks a level on the main overworld, and that level has parrots and a chest, by the time you reach Trials of the Parrot you should have every parrot coin and chest except for 1 level. Nope, there's nothing else that I can think of. :)
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

YelseyKing wrote:Well, I'm getting close to the end of A2MT. And I think I'm just about done with the SPC set update, though I'm gonna wait a day or so before uploading it.
Question: Where is SPC set?
Any download homepage?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Jongseok wrote:
Any download homepage?
Like I said, I'm gonna wait a day or so before releasing it just to ensure it's finished. I'll let you know when it's up, don't worry. :P

The old set, as well as a few others, is in this ancient thread, though. Which is where the update will be when I put it up.

Moists:

Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

YelseyKing wrote:
Jongseok wrote:
Any download homepage?
Like I said, I'm gonna wait a day or so before releasing it just to ensure it's finished. I'll let you know when it's up, don't worry. :P

The old set, as well as a few others, is in this ancient thread, though. Which is where the update will be when I put it up.
There will be two new songs. And one song is already inserted in the rom. NSMB - Castle This song replaces original SMW Castle theme. Another song is....
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Well, I finished with A2MT. Cheated through the last couple worlds, and of course I used save states the entire way. But it's done. I've said about all I wanted to say already, so I'll just end with thanking Tobi and Jongseok for putting this together in a way that makes it... at least *playable*. :P
Hopefully we can get a "v2.0" or something out someday that eases up on the game's relentless difficulty... but that can wait for another day. :lol:

I put the finishing touches on the SPC set, and uploaded it. You can grab it from the SMW hack SPC thread. Do let me know if I missed anything. And before you report something is wrong, make sure I haven't already covered it in the lengthy info file included. :P

Enjoy. Or something. :P

Moists:

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote:Well, I finished with A2MT. Cheated through the last couple worlds, and of course I used save states the entire way. But it's done. I've said about all I wanted to say already, so I'll just end with thanking Tobi and Jongseok for putting this together in a way that makes it... at least *playable*. :P
Hopefully we can get a "v2.0" or something out someday that eases up on the game's relentless difficulty... but that can wait for another day. :lol:

I put the finishing touches on the SPC set, and uploaded it. You can grab it from the SMW hack SPC thread. Do let me know if I missed anything. And before you report something is wrong, make sure I haven't already covered it in the lengthy info file included. :P

Enjoy. Or something. :P
Thanks for playing through A2MT Yelsey! :) I appreciate it, I know the games got difficulty issues but I still hope you enjoyed yourself, whether it's through the music, treasures, etc.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Tobi555 wrote:Thanks for playing through A2MT Yelsey! :) I appreciate it, I know the games got difficulty issues but I still hope you enjoyed yourself, whether it's through the music, treasures, etc.
Well. Overall I did enjoy it at least somewhat, or I wouldn't have played it. :P I think the treasure system was very cool, and I did enjoy seeking those and the Parrot Coins out. You did a great job fixing up the hack... it's not your fault that some of the levels in the hack were... let's just say... problematic. :P

Incidentally, the treasure menu is kind of strange. There are 14 blank slots, positioned kind of randomly around the board. Looking in a memory viewer reveals that *most* of these unfillable spaces are just placeholder graphics (I assume there were 14 more stages planned, but scrapped at some point or another)... but one of them isn't. A Yoshi head. I assume that the 14 blanks each corresponded to a stage that wasn't implemented, but that Yoshi head graphic intrigues me. Was that in a stage that you tried to include, but had to cut out at the last minute?

Moists:

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote: Well. Overall I did enjoy it at least somewhat, or I wouldn't have played it. :P I think the treasure system was very cool, and I did enjoy seeking those and the Parrot Coins out. You did a great job fixing up the hack... it's not your fault that some of the levels in the hack were... let's just say... problematic. :P

Incidentally, the treasure menu is kind of strange. There are 14 blank slots, positioned kind of randomly around the board. Looking in a memory viewer reveals that *most* of these unfillable spaces are just placeholder graphics (I assume there were 14 more stages planned, but scrapped at some point or another)... but one of them isn't. A Yoshi head. I assume that the 14 blanks each corresponded to a stage that wasn't implemented, but that Yoshi head graphic intrigues me. Was that in a stage that you tried to include, but had to cut out at the last minute?
A yoshi head?! That's the first I'm hearing of this O.o The black spaces aren't for planned stages it's just with the way that room is set up you'd have to painstakingly go through the games data to rearrange where the treasures would go in that room so I asked Mario90 if we could just remove the unused squares instead so people wouldn't think they were missing treasures. I never knew there was an unused yoshi head graphic, none of the new graphics Taviturnip made went unused and none were yoshi heads...how odd. Thanks I appreciate that, I couldn't have done it alone I had a lot of really talented people help me :) BTW thanks for the special thanks in your SPC set :P
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Tobi555 wrote:A yoshi head?! That's the first I'm hearing of this O.o The black spaces aren't for planned stages it's just with the way that room is set up you'd have to painstakingly go through the games data to rearrange where the treasures would go in that room so I asked Mario90 if we could just remove the unused squares instead so people wouldn't think they were missing treasures. I never knew there was an unused yoshi head graphic, none of the new graphics Taviturnip made went unused and none were yoshi heads...how odd.
Putting this in a "spoiler" tag, just in case there are people who don't want all the treasures revealed.

Right there, highlighted in red, in one of the blank, unfillable spaces between the

treasure box and the Ritalin

. If you didn't know about it, then it must've predated the work you did. I'll check later to see if it's present in earlier ROMs. (Disregard the incorrect palettes for many objects. There are many different palettes used in displaying the treasures, and vSNES can only display one at a time in the memory viewer.)

Edit: Just took a look at the most "complete" of the "Fish Market" A2MT ROMs, and... sure enough!

Tobi555 wrote:BTW thanks for the special thanks in your SPC set :P
Well, it only seemed fitting. Without you (and Jongseok), I'd never have had a *reason* to update that SPC set. :P

Moists:

Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

YelseyKing wrote: Putting this in a "spoiler" tag, just in case there are people who don't want all the treasures revealed.

Right there, highlighted in red, in one of the blank, unfillable spaces between the

treasure box and the Ritalin

. If you didn't know about it, then it must've predated the work you did. I'll check later to see if it's present in earlier ROMs. (Disregard the incorrect palettes for many objects. There are many different palettes used in displaying the treasures, and vSNES can only display one at a time in the memory viewer.)

Edit: Just took a look at the most "complete" of the "Fish Market" A2MT ROMs, and... sure enough!

Tobi555 wrote:BTW thanks for the special thanks in your SPC set :P
Well, it only seemed fitting. Without you (and Jongseok), I'd never have had a *reason* to update that SPC set. :P
Wow! According to where it's placed it would be for level 104 which is the parrot pad itself :lol: But it's obvious that there's no point in the pad having a chest since it's not a "level" level, just like Nezumi's Farm...very odd.

EDIT: Upon further inspection by placing that chest down and getting it, there's no text of any kind whatsoever, not even placeholder stuff like the other chests in raocow's zombie run did.
TheMario90

Post by TheMario90 »

Tobi555 wrote: EDIT: Upon further inspection by placing that chest down and getting it, there's no text of any kind whatsoever, not even placeholder stuff like the other chests in raocow's zombie run did.
Since I happened to be reading right now I can answer this. Since I fixed and completed the chests I completely hijacked the old data, meaning if I left a level's slot completely blank (because nothing was there to fill it) then nothing will show up instead of the old placeholder text.
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy

Post by Tobi555 »

TheMario90 wrote:
Tobi555 wrote: EDIT: Upon further inspection by placing that chest down and getting it, there's no text of any kind whatsoever, not even placeholder stuff like the other chests in raocow's zombie run did.
Since I happened to be reading right now I can answer this. Since I fixed and completed the chests I completely hijacked the old data, meaning if I left a level's slot completely blank (because nothing was there to fill it) then nothing will show up instead of the old placeholder text.
Ahhh that makes a lot more sense :) Thanks for the clarification! :P