(shouting)

super cat planet! (1.3d)

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: super cat planet! (1.0a)

Post by Friendly Dictator »

i just finished it

i loved the ending! also the aus music during the fight with the crow was great

game of the year 2015
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

BRB committing suicide after forcing myself through those precise flying switcheroo sections. That last one alone gave me around 500 deaths. I truly have ascended to cat planet cat now.

But really good job on this! Only issue I've had is getting adjusted to angel lady's hitbox, but other than that, it's time to find all the cats!

Who has the most?
Giik

Post by Giik »

Willhart wrote:Maybe a page on a website like gamejolt or rpgmaker.net would be a good idea for sharing this game with more people. I've discovered some nice platformer games from those too, but I'm not too sure on how the details on sharing games that way would work. The original Cat Planet was made for ludum dare, if I remember correctly.
Ooh, havent thought of gamejolt. Eventually I want to have my own site but until I learn HTML-or-whatever and buy a server then that could work.
XerX
Untalented Pleb
First name: Colton

Post by XerX »

You could also post this game to IndieDB. A lot of people look for new games to try there. I'm sure there'd be people willing to play this from over there. :P

Also I finally beat the game, after about 450 deaths later (250 from one specific room >.>) Though I didn't find all the cats.

I apparently skipped the ice caverns altogether. Went back after completing the game.

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

So, I've beaten the game about four times now. It's really great! All the details really amuse me, and I'm glad that you took your time when putting this masterpiece together.

The reason I've beaten the game four times is because each time I quit, I loose my record of having beaten the game. Ironically, the game still remembers me getting the strange cat at the stage selection, but I just can't reach it. I feel indifferent to the crow + switches section now :P

As well as that, I've noticed how you've made a small screen shortcut when traveling between the entrance to the crow area and the lava cave. If I accidentally touch the top corner when making this transition, I get hung up in the checkpoint section normally skipped, and I have no choice but to return to the start screen (or quit the game) to get free.

I have ONE normal cat missing. Have no clue where it might be. In the meantime, though, I have 7 strange cats left to go.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
momo

Post by momo »

one of the last rooms with the crow and the switches gave me about 200 deaths and was not very fun. it would be cool if you added a hard mode to the game that had more hazards
Giik

Post by Giik »

Jayoshi wrote:So, I've beaten the game about four times now. It's really great! All the details really amuse me, and I'm glad that you took your time when putting this masterpiece together.

The reason I've beaten the game four times is because each time I quit, I loose my record of having beaten the game. Ironically, the game still remembers me getting the strange cat at the stage selection, but I just can't reach it. I feel indifferent to the crow + switches section now :P

As well as that, I've noticed how you've made a small screen shortcut when traveling between the entrance to the crow area and the lava cave. If I accidentally touch the top corner when making this transition, I get hung up in the checkpoint section normally skipped, and I have no choice but to return to the start screen (or quit the game) to get free.

I have ONE normal cat missing. Have no clue where it might be. In the meantime, though, I have 7 strange cats left to go.
Hmm...does it just not save, ever? or does it only forget it when you beat the game?
Giik

Post by Giik »

Giik wrote:
Jayoshi wrote:So, I've beaten the game about four times now. It's really great! All the details really amuse me, and I'm glad that you took your time when putting this masterpiece together.

Hmm...does it just not save, ever? or does it only forget it when you beat the game?
Rusbojis wrote:one of the last rooms with the crow and the switches gave me about 200 deaths and was not very fun. it would be cool if you added a hard mode to the game that had more hazards
Is it too late to make that screen easier? I agree it's one hell of a difficulty spike...if I DO add some sort of hardcore mode I'd probably keep it the same, though.

EDIT: I tried redesigning it...I think I just made it harder.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

My thoughts on that screen.
I think the original screen was just fine and hard enough. It really forces you to learn to use your controls, and the short and long jump. I also really liked the back and forward thing at the start and how it manipulated the crow there. It really did not take that long to finish. Also the current version loks visually more pretty, or maybe I'm just gotten used to it. I also think it is fine for the end game. As of now maybe an easy mode or something would be better for a feature like that in my opinion. NOt to mention that the original game had a difficulty spike there too, and that I was king of expecting it.

It's fun once you got through it, and this game does work with some challenge too. I really enjoyed it.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

First, the section could be made less frustrating by giving the buttons a bit of a cooldown period. I died too many times because I hit the switch and moved juuuuuuust far enough to reset it, then touched it again by accident. There are, to my knowledge, no parts of the game that require the buttons to be hit in such quick succession, so that seems like an good decision to me.

It's a difficulty-spike roughly where one was in the original game, but I don't think it was necessarily a good choice in the original, either. If it were an optional deal I'd have less issue with it myself, but it's a BIG spike in difficulty that you NEED to pass. It'd also be a lot more forgivable if the rest of the game properly prepared you for it, which I don't believe is the case.

I did eventually get past that room, but wow was it a rough experience. I enjoy the challenge, but at the same time the sudden jump in difficulty was frustrating and not what I was expecting. I don't know that there's an easy solution to it, but yeah.

Overall I thought the game was super enjoyable and fun! It's not flawless but that's fine. It's freaking adorable and does very interesting things with the game's mechanics. You did a great job!

One other thing I'd ask, though, is that the checkpoints be easier to hit. I've found an issue sometimes where I'd enter a room very quickly, miss the checkpoint and careen into my death before I could reasonably react to any of it. I think just having the hitboxes on checkpoints be bigger would alleviate that.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

sedron wrote:
It's a difficulty-spike roughly where one was in the original game, but I don't think it was necessarily a good choice in the original, either. If it were an optional deal I'd have less issue with it myself, but it's a BIG spike in difficulty that you NEED to pass. It'd also be a lot more forgivable if the rest of the game properly prepared you for it, which I don't believe is the case.
I think that some parts on especially the factory and the ice area did prepare player for that. Also no one has spent too much time deaths on it so far as far as I'm afare. Like it's hard but not impossible on my opinion, and the hard part being at the start did help a lot too.
Giik

Post by Giik »

Willhart wrote:My thoughts on that screen.
I think the original screen was just fine and hard enough. It really forces you to learn to use your controls, and the short and long jump. I also really liked the back and forward thing at the start and how it manipulated the crow there. It really did not take that long to finish. Also the current version loks visually more pretty, or maybe I'm just gotten used to it. I also think it is fine for the end game. As of now maybe an easy mode or something would be better for a feature like that in my opinion. NOt to mention that the original game had a difficulty spike there too, and that I was king of expecting it.

It's fun once you got through it, and this game does work with some challenge too. I really enjoyed it.
Yeah, I like the room itself, but it's way too big of a difficulty spike. Like, having a room more difficult than others is fine but when half of your total deaths come from that single screen that's kind of a problem. Maybe if I decide to expand it with a sort of post-game unfair heart of madness-type thing then those giant difficulty spikes would be more expected. I might keep the overall design but just loosen it up a bit.

Also, sedron, I just changed some stuff from your feedback. The red/blue buttons now have a 30-frame cooldown up from 10 frames (so it's about 1/2 a second instead of 1/6 of a second), and the checkpoint's hitbox now looks more like this as opposed to being pretty much the bounding box of the sprite. So when I release 1.1 then those will be in. :D
Giik

Re: super cat planet! (1.1)

Post by Giik »

1.1:
+Added a new hat to the store: a Scarf!.
~Fixed a badly-sized block in Lava that could cause you to get stuck when transitioning rooms.
~Made the Lava/Final transition not break the space-time continuum.
~Made the checkpoint's hitbox about 200% bigger.
~Toned down Switchspike Hell just a bit. Wider gaps to go through, etc. (you know what screen i'm talking about.)
~Upped the Switchspike button's cooldown from 10 frames (1/6 second) to 30 frames (1/2 second).
~Made something a little easier to find.

NOTE: This might mess up your clothes a bit, and they might be on the wrong sprite when you load it. (which was weird because i didn't add any sprites there.)

Download link is in the OP as usual.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Giik wrote:Hmm...does it just not save, ever? or does it only forget it when you beat the game?
It just forgets that I've beaten the game. So, after starting up the game will have progress that I achieved after beating the game, such as collecting the strange cat I mentioned. It just won't let me

stage select, or have a king cat planet cat for my cursor on the title screen

unless I beat the game again.

I'll try out 1.1! I wonder what was "easier to find"...
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Giik

Post by Giik »

Jayoshi wrote:
Giik wrote:Hmm...does it just not save, ever? or does it only forget it when you beat the game?
It just forgets that I've beaten the game. So, after starting up the game will have progress that I achieved after beating the game, such as collecting the strange cat I mentioned. It just won't let me

stage select, or have a king cat planet cat for my cursor on the title screen

unless I beat the game again.

I'll try out 1.1! I wonder what was "easier to find"...
Ahaaaaaa. I think I found the source of that. Lemme test it and upload a hotfix if it works.
Giik

Re: super cat planet! (1.1a (UPDERTED))

Post by Giik »

Alright! 1.1a shouldn't forget that you've won the game after you close and open it again. Link is in the OP blah blah.
Giik

Re: super cat planet! (1.1b)

Post by Giik »

Gaaahhhh. Apparently that most recent hotfix broke the triggers for 100% completion. Hold on... >.>

EDIT: OKAY THERE WE GO ugh gamedev is haaaaaaaaard
XerX
Untalented Pleb
First name: Colton

Re: super cat planet! (1.1c)

Post by XerX »

Think you could upload a mirror download? For some reason I can't access Mega.nz.
Giik

Post by Giik »

XerX wrote:Think you could upload a mirror download? For some reason I can't access Mega.nz.
I actually have 1.1b on indieDB now. Still need to update it to 1.1c there, though, so if you're using something other than the arrow keys you may want to wait for that.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/super-cat-planet/downloads
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Can someone please tell me which area the

Orange Switch

is located in? It's the last one I need.

Edit: Just found it and beat the main game with 168 Normal Cats and 4 Secret Cats. I found the secret spot which revealed how many are in the game total, but I seriously have no idea where to look. Any possible hints?

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

OH MAN this was pretty great. I think it makes for a pretty good sequel/expansion. Beat the game in around an hour and a half and ~270 deaths (a huge portion being from "that room" and the secret pathway in the ice-blue place. My biggest complaint is probably that you gain horizontal speed REALLY quickly and trying to stop moving or reverse your acceleration requires extreme precision because it takes time to do so, but I'm pretty sure the original game was exactly the same, so... yeah.

I'm not sure what exactly the ending implied but it was cute nonetheless!!

I found 4 secret cats [ispoiler]one over the cliff in the starting area, possibly one in that pitch-black purple area (can't recall now), the one in the ice-blue area that requires very precise 'jumping' to reach a hidden path, and one in the post-game 'hub' area[/ispoiler], but I did not find "the thing that tells you how many there are" and have no idea where others could be because after finding the first one, I tried to keep an eye out for them the entire game and only found those couple.

I'm a scrub who just wants to find all the things so is there any way to convince you to tell me????? or at least get some hints
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Giik

Post by Giik »

swirlybomb wrote:OH MAN this was pretty great. I think it makes for a pretty good sequel/expansion. Beat the game in around an hour and a half and ~270 deaths (a huge portion being from "that room" and the secret pathway in the ice-blue place. My biggest complaint is probably that you gain horizontal speed REALLY quickly and trying to stop moving or reverse your acceleration requires extreme precision because it takes time to do so, but I'm pretty sure the original game was exactly the same, so... yeah.

I'm not sure what exactly the ending implied but it was cute nonetheless!!

I found 4 secret cats [ispoiler]one over the cliff in the starting area, possibly one in that pitch-black purple area (can't recall now), the one in the ice-blue area that requires very precise 'jumping' to reach a hidden path, and one in the post-game 'hub' area[/ispoiler], but I did not find "the thing that tells you how many there are" and have no idea where others could be because after finding the first one, I tried to keep an eye out for them the entire game and only found those couple.

I'm a scrub who just wants to find all the things so is there any way to convince you to tell me????? or at least get some hints
Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it! :D

Yeah, the physics are exactly the same as the original game; the only thing I added was being able to slide to a stop by holding down on the ground. Part of the difficulty is getting used to the slippery horizontal speed, once you do then you can pull off some pretty tricky stunts.

If I told you where they were it wouldn't be a secret anymore! Though I will say most of them are found by doing stupid crap that you won't need to do in normal gameplay. I did try adding visual hints for a lot of them, but they aren't exactly arrows pointing to where you should go. It's pretty stupid.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

cat stuff

I found 9 cats and the thing which supposedly counts them. Right now, though, I've pretty much given up trying to find the remaining seven because of how ridiculously hard it is for me. I found the one furthest right in the village, the one above the "double jump" in the ice cave, the one accessed by touching the ceiling in the flower area, the one furthest left at the lava zone, the one next to the vertical corridor in the factory, and aside from the very easy postgame hub cat I found the black area in the canyon. Having found one thing in each area, I assumed that jungle would be the next place to look.

However... there's just nothing I can find there. I've checked every path I can think of, but due to jungle's frustrating convolutions I've pretty much given up at this point. Jungle is my least favorite area anyway, its gimmick relies on making exploration needlessly complicated, and some of the ways which it's used are downright frustrating, such as one path which forces you back to the start of the jungle, and another path which after you've passed a certain point, forces you to go all the way until you reach your destination, upon which the path you came from disappears, and you have to take another path which goes an entirely different direction and takes a lot longer to go through.

I've considered learning cheat engine to find out where the last seven cats are, but I decided it's not really worth it. There are never any hints given to where any of the black cats are, (not even the ones I've found already) and the remaining seven are giving me such a headache that it's not fun at all anymore.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Can't get it to run.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Giik

Post by Giik »

Mikkofier wrote:Can't get it to run.
Hmm. What happens when you try to run it? What OS are you using? Not sure what the problem is...