(shouting)

The Mind Hero (Actual app & PC game for Steam)

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Psycrow
Game designer

The Mind Hero (Actual app & PC game for Steam)

Post by Psycrow »

Hey there buddies,
I'm Josh, an indie game designer, one who has done game design for a living in previous years and also has a game on Steam called 16 Bit Arena, and I've gotten permission from raocow (whose videos I've been following for some time on Youtube, including the works of Talkhaus) to post about this project called The Mind Hero. Kickstarter link here
The Mind Hero isn't just for entertainment; it's going to be a puzzle/platform/dating sim which teaches actual psychology subtly within the game itself-- something that's never been done before, which could change some lives and reach some people with things they'd never know otherwise. However, getting the word out about the Kickstarter to get it funded is quite difficult, which is where Talkhaus comes in.
If The Mind Hero meets its goal before the funding period ends as a result of the efforts of Talkhaus (backing, helping spread the word, etc), I've decided to make a special arrangement for Talkhaus. Seeing as my primary concern is the story of the game (which expresses the psychology), the actual levels (or minds) in the game could really be done by anyone competent with a level creator. In short, I would make a "level maker" for The Mind Hero, give it to you guys, you'd make levels (based on certain elements/themes), I'd approve them and also take suggestions for gameplay elements from you for the level creator. Once complete, this game would go up on Steam and app stores then as a free game, giving credit to you guys and raocow, basically for the fun and fame of all involved; plus, being able to put on your resume that you made levels for a game that was released on Steam is always a good thing. As for me, I'd be happy having just expressed the important messages that I wanted to within the game's story; and as for the players, they'd be happy to get a free game that actually teaches things that are useful in real life.
In short, if this gets funded by the Talkhaus, The Mind Hero would change from a small, more personal effort to a true team effort, and Talkhaus could be involved in a big, high-profile way in an important project. Having seen past work and creativity expressed by the Talkhaus when given the proper tools, I've no doubt that you can pull off great levels with any level creator. Check out the 5-minute video in the Kickstarter for the full details (note that the look of the gameplay is likely to change greatly with this plan, but is not highly detailed in the video yet anyway). In correspondence with the offer I've made here, I've added an Update to the Kickstarter and a note on themindhero.com about this offer made to Talkhaus and how it can affect the game and make it possible all together. Please consider backing and spreading the word on this project before the Kickstarter ends, for the growth of raocow and Talkhaus, for the benefit of the players, and for the fun & fame of yourself as well!

--
raocow's response to this & a question about presenting it to Talkhous in a legitimate way:
--
I would super encourage you to post yourself to explain your game and what you are proposing, as you would definitely do a better job than me, at least locally here. Depending how things go I can always give you a little plug!
Go ahead and copy and paste this in your thread if it makes you feel better about it.
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Carltheshivan

Re: The Mind Hero (Actual app & PC game for Steam)

Post by Carltheshivan »

Wait, so it's a free game? raocow in his video said it was gonna be sold for real money. Which is it?
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

This game will be free, by this plan. The Update added to the Kickstarter page, and themindhero.com, mentions that if it's done this way, The Mind Hero will put up for free, and on all the same stores. (There hasn't been any luck with any of the other promotional efforts for the Kickstarter up til now, so at this point, you can bet that if it's Kickstarted at all, it means it was through the efforts of you guys, and hence will be a free game for all to download.)
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

I've never done anything Kickstartery before, but I do like making platformer levels.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Feel free to help by spreading the word too. It's only up til late afternoon on Wednesday June 17 (it did wind up on this corner of the internet a bit late), but needless to say it would be very interesting for all involved if it made it.
A note about Kickstarter: If you back, nothing actually gets sent at all unless the Kickstarter is fully backed when the deadline is met.
I think I neglected to mention in my first post, but I'll be taking suggestions from everyone on what to include within the level maker. So if you've got a good idea, it's not going to be necessarily limited by the level maker.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

For the level maker:
- An undo function
- Ability to grab and move entire sections of tiles at once
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Salty Ebs

Post by Salty Ebs »

Super cool original concept, which is something I can get behind. I gave a little bit and I hope talkhaus can find a way to make this happen.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Thank you!
This is something that will have the best chance if the word is spread a lot quickly. On Facebook, linking the Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ps ... -mind-hero will actually show its video within your Facebook post, so it's handy!
Ideally this would have been linked here sooner, but if the week or so that it has Talkhaus's help gets it anywhere close, the Kickstarter can always be restarted with more time. There is a way for me to send a message to anyone who's pledged even if it isn't funded, a message which generally winds up in their email, to let them know what's happening afterwards. If nothing else, this will gauge to see if it's at least possible.

Update: The Kickstarter reached the deadline without the goal being reached or coming close, so the Kickstarter won't be restarted, but contributions can still be made on themindhero.com for the same rewards as the Kickstarter.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I'm intruiged. If I find time I'll look more into this.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who