(shouting)

Kaizo Kollab

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
aterraformer

Kaizo Kollab

Post by aterraformer »

Since I'm unable to make a new topic in collaboration extravaganza, I suppose I'll put this here. Possibly for now.

As some of you have noticed, I gave my collab away to worldpeace some months ago. Well it's flourishing now and should be completed soon. For a while, JUMP has been something hard for me to look at. I like where it is now and while I mean no offense by things, it isn't my original idea anymore. For the better, I'm certain. I had/have way little experience for a project of that caliber and it certainly showed, though I had no idea it would lead to that size. Because of this, I would like to purpose a new collab. I have plenty experience from JUMP so I can totally run a hack into the ground.

Not gonna lie, dram55 and the other recent Kaizo speedrunners as well as 3catswatchingtopgun's blind, 5-lives, on console, no save states, no game genie, not even Dram's life farm idea; run of Kaizo 1, has inspired this.

General ideas/requirements:
-I will be removing lives, hud, etc. No coins/dc needed. In fact, I will remove coins and lives from levels
-Save every time you go to the map
-Power ups will only be accessible by means of the 3 switchs (yellow, red (fire flower), green) and should be mainly used for the gimmick and designed accordingly. Only 1 power up at a time, no extra hud box i.e. SMB3(J) style
-Time can be used but should only be low for levels designed to be speed ran to win
-1 level per person max. This does not include a room in the final, marathon level of linearity.
-1 level with 2 exits allowed. only to unlock a special world.
-ELO = not Electric Light Orchestra or that guy who speedran Ocarina of Time but instead, Every Level (ends in) Orb. No goal tape. If it happens to be a fish or some other form of jank, neat. Leave it.
-Levels will be beaten without any form of emulation tools whatsoever by the author. Only one level and it's your own so it is not unreasonable to ask
-Between 12 and 30 levels max. I think about 15 would be ideal. I will be doing one so maths
-Of original Kaizo Trilogy quality or better. I'm not saying that the Kaizos are well designed masterpieces, because they aren't. What I'm saying is that many hacks subsequently tried to imitate the success and fell flat on their face. I want level design with thought behind every obstacle, not sprite and muncher spam everywhere. Test often. Think of what a first time player might do.
-Floating munchers are fine but the only cutoff (that's not vanilla cutoff) or jank graphicals I will accept. This is super subjective though
-Considering a ban on invisible (kaizo) blocks
-Vanilla graphics ONLY. This is not JUMP. I will not bend and break. On the fence and Super Mario All-Stars SMB1 or SMB3. MAYBE Anikiti's Futuristic graphics if only because of personal bias
-SMB3 sprites/objects only USED SPARINGLY
-Custom music, no vanilla
-No Koopa Kids, no bowser, no unmodified Reznor or Boo. End level when all sprites removed is an acceptable form of boss though I would prefer only 3 bosses to the hack. One midway through the main game, one at the end of the main game and one at the end of "special" world
-Fast overworld movement. I want this to be the least amount annoying and tedious as possible on console
-Overworld shall be done LAST as the levels will be ranked in accordance to group decided difficulty and ordered as such
-I'm going to be a lot more stricter than I was with JUMP. If I think your difficulty is coming from poor design/lack of thought and is deemed "bullshit" by myself of others involved, it will not be accepted. Try to limit the RNG to the absolute bare minimum. If my level is deemed this way, I will actually swallow my pride and change it this time

Unlike last time around, I have nothing to show for this yet nor a real name. This has mainly been the culmination of fragments for ideas scattered the past few weeks and a main plopping decision of an idea, striking me today. I will use this thread to collect interest and once that has begun, I will set up claiming and a "preview due date" so this project does not end up like JUMP did so such a long time. Not to be an ass but I would prefer people this time with a little more experience with level design/lunar magic. Not like released a full on hack necessary but if you have had a level(s) in a collab(s) (even if SMBX) that will be a major plus.

TL;DR yo dw@g, sw@g. make kaizo levels go.go.go.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Re: Kaizo Kollab

Post by Clamestarebla »

New collab ideas go to the Project Showcase subforum nowadays.

I'm no expert at kaizo but I promise to try....maybe
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
dr_vblschrf
may or may not be an actual fox
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by dr_vblschrf »

if people need musicians for original music, i'll be more than happy to lend a hand for consideration.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I'd totally be up for making a thing for this.

Also if you're interested and this thing gets off the ground at all I can probably whip up some ASM to just kinda explode in a puff of smoke and respawn at the midpoint when you die rather than do the whole 'death animation, return to map, re-enter level' thing. (I had a thing like that pretty much entirely put together and working to the best of my knowledge but I'm pretty sure I lost it in a recent hard drive reformat.)
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

dr_vblschrf wrote:original music
Sounds like it could be a good idea. Do you have a sample of your work available?
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:whip up some ASM
If you would like to, sure. I think that we should add a start select feature but more along the lines of the New SMB series where you loose any powers you get in the level.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

well well well. It appears I have broken not one but two of my own rules. Great start. No, you can't just drop the throw blocks from the top. I'm considering changing it a bit (like the stairs) to make a generator bounce required to get back up. I really want it one screen though. Music here will be Point Peak Matrix from Ape Escape for the time being.

(this will be a consideration for possible exception considering it will probably be the only thing to the second half)
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Hmm I had a little bit of a temptation to make a SMW hack along the lines of the original kaizo (Tooless but hard and trolly). I'll think about doing something (Obviously, not until at least JUMP is finished).
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who