(shouting)

Let's make a horrible collab!

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
LiAS

Re: Let's make a horrible collab!

Post by LiAS »

Ningamer wrote:This guy is worse than me
Mabel wrote:Ningamer #2
Doctor Shemp wrote:Probably an alt for some impliedly horrible guy
I would call this attacking my character.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Most of them could still be boiled down to "making a game that's just bad levels wouldn't be fun for long, thus it's a bad idea"
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

LiAS wrote:
Ningamer wrote:This guy is worse than me
Mabel wrote:Ningamer #2
Doctor Shemp wrote:Probably an alt for some impliedly horrible guy
I would call this attacking my character.
Take note we have had a big influx of people just joining the talkhaus and trying to start a million collabs (especially ones that are bad ideas) when the community is either burned out or already busy with others ones. And then they keep trying to start other ones after that.
They aren't attacks towards you, you just remind us of people who have tried to start things we aren't interested in.
Please, take a break from starting these collabs. You're becoming like the other couple of people who have tried.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
LiAS

Post by LiAS »

I'm just social (more social here than in real life, sadly).
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

LiAS wrote:I'm just social (more social here than in real life, sadly).
And that relates to making collabs how? You can still be social by not making them.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
LiAS

Post by LiAS »

I know. And by the way, this is dead. Goodbye.
suck hacker

Post by suck hacker »

Man, this thing be so for me, i wish you guys would get make this collab!
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

suck hacker wrote:Man, this thing be so for me, i wish you guys would get make this collab!
LiAS wrote:I know. And by the way, this is dead. Goodbye.
Not that it ever started to begin with.
He captured!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

lets make this and send it to the smbx community
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I'll post here because I'd been thinking about this privately for a while. This could be a decent to good idea if approached properly. In much the same way that Chaos CompleXX parodied the worst of SMW hacking in 2003 and Mock 2 parodied the worst of Doom mapping in 2003 (2003 was clearly the year of parodies) there's potential for a parody of the worst of SMBX mapping in 2015. Of course the challenge is in making something that looks terrible while still being playable and not frustrating garbage - something Chaos CompleXX succeeded at, as did AUS' level for A2XT, but something Mock 2 occasionally failed at. There's also of course the problem that, unlike SMW hacking and Doom mapping, the main cause of bad SMBX levels isn't technical incompetence, it's design incompetence. That's harder to imitate without committing the same errors. All that being said, I think the potential is there.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Doctor Shemp wrote:I'll post here because I'd been thinking about this privately for a while. This could be a decent to good idea if approached properly. In much the same way that Chaos CompleXX parodied the worst of SMW hacking in 2003 and Mock 2 parodied the worst of Doom mapping in 2003 (2003 was clearly the year of parodies) there's potential for a parody of the worst of SMBX mapping in 2015. Of course the challenge is in making something that looks terrible while still being playable and not frustrating garbage - something Chaos CompleXX succeeded at, as did AUS' level for A2XT, but something Mock 2 occasionally failed at. There's also of course the problem that, unlike SMW hacking and Doom mapping, the main cause of bad SMBX levels isn't technical incompetence, it's design incompetence. That's harder to imitate without committing the same errors. All that being said, I think the potential is there.
I find that one big trap a lot of parodies in general fall into can basically be summed up with "Hey, you know that annoying thing you really hated? Well, here it is in our parody, perfectly preserved in all its annoyance. Except, since we're being completely tongue-in-cheek about it, that makes it funny, rather than horrifyingly annoying!"

No. No, it doesn't.

Let's say there's a dungeon in an RPG where your characters are constantly poisoned and blinded due to a toxic fog within the area. You're constantly taking damage, and your physical attacks frequently miss, so even the simplest of random battles in this place are a gigantic chore. It's roundly hated, cited as the game's low point by far, and given a prestigious entry on TV Tropes' "That One Level" page. Now let's say you have a wAaAaAaAaAacky parody RPG in the works, you remember that dungeon you hated, and you want to parody it. But the only "parody" ends up being that the poison gas is actually a toxic *fart cloud*. You're still blinded and poisoned, and the dungeon is no less annoying than it was originally, but hohoho, a *poison fart*, man! That should take away all the annoyance because it's just so silly and wacky and random! ... Sorry, no. You may have tried to make it funny with silly text, but you still *recreated that thing everyone hated in the first place*!

That, in a nutshell, is where I feel like many parodies end up failing. I'd say, If you want to parody something properly, it would be better if it was in such a way where it makes fun of that thing, while managing to avoid making its same mistakes.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Parodies in all other forms of art besides gameplay are so much easier to do for this reason.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

It's like you don't even remember MATH
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Argumentable wrote:It's like you don't even remember MATH
ano0maly wrote:Well we had MATH (most awesome terrible hack) contests before, but they were competitions not collabs.
Unless you're referring to someone specifically.
YelseyKing wrote:That, in a nutshell, is where I feel like many parodies end up failing. I'd say, If you want to parody something properly, it would be better if it was in such a way where it makes fun of that thing, while managing to avoid making its same mistakes.
I agree wholeheartedly and tried to say as much. I was just trying to say that if approached properly it could be good. The big strength of SMBX is its ease of customisation, especially with all the Luna stuff now, so perhaps a parody of bad Mario & platforming more generally could work, with some broader joke levels thrown in.

I don't think making good parody levels is beyond the talkhaus. "26th Place - AUS: "Level 1 - Winter City"" from A2XT and "the hardest lvl" from ASMT both succeeded or at least I think they did. Granted, trying to make a 8-world episode of them would be a fool's errand but a small episode could work, especially if padded out by broader joke levels.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

MATH was so horrible it made TLs4 vanish forever and I hated it too (also MATH3 crashed the talkhaus) which reminds me that someone actually asked me when I was gonna have MATH4 and I sort of just laughed at him. I know there was vague discussion about it previously and I pretty much said I didn't wanna do it again. Tried to convince some others to do it but they didn't, though I think MATH4 would be the way to go with this idea. No, I'm not playing it. I do think it's a fun idea overall, though.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I'm aware of MATH, but wasn't around for any of them so I'm not really super familiar with them.

In any case, the idea of bad level design parody works, but isn't really what I got from the OP. They just want crappy levels. Examples like the ones Shemp brought up make fun of the practices, but are actually very well built. They're not bad levels in any sense.

Every time one of these is brought up again it just kind of dies out. Honestly, it'd be nice if it stayed that way.