(shouting)

Mario's Nightmare Quest; My Third and Final SMW Hack

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Slit08

Re: Mario's Nightmare Quest; My Third and Final SMW Hack

Post by Slit08 »

Will said demo for the C3 be downloadable and thus playable by us talkhausers as well?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Slit08 wrote:Will said demo for the C3 be downloadable and thus playable by us talkhausers as well?
Yes.

I just need to finish off the remaining levels and bosses on the old demo, then port it over to a new one with an RPG level system and other ASMy stuff.

The demo will probably cover worlds 1-5, the haunted world, the forest world, the desert world and some of toy land.

The following content will not be in the demo:

Anything from Hyrule, including Stone Tower Temple, Hyrule Castle, Koholint Island, etc.
Anything from the final world
Some secret levels, like Haunted Halloween and Happy Holidaus.

This is because the former two are ridiculously complex and unable to be completed within the next few months, and the latter... well, I'm trying to rip these graphics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqqWn7NEjM

The demo will be posted on SMW Central. here and a few other places.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

So, I've hit a snag with this project.

Put simply, the limitations of SMW are making it difficult to fit everything in the game.

As a result, I'm probably going to have to do one of the following:

1. Quit SMW hacking and port the project to an independent engine, like Super Mario Fusion Revival or Mushroom Kingdom Fusion.

2. Make the game episodic, like the excellent 'Super Mario the Lost Adventure' series. So two or three parts, with the first two ending on a continued screen or cliffhanger and the final one having the actual ending.

So yes, just a change of plan. I might consider the second one to be honest, simply cause I might be able to have the same .srm file reused over multiple games as a way of making it like Final Fantasy and its multiple discs. It might also let me give the first part to raocow, have him make an LP of it and then continue in part 2 as a sort of 'sequel'.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

CM30 wrote:1. Quit SMW hacking and port the project to an independent engine, like Super Mario Fusion Revival or Mushroom Kingdom Fusion.
This is a far better option since it allows so much more freedom to do what you want, and given your vision of the game (e.g. cram as much in as possible), you're going to hit a snag even in an episodic route. No sense making a bunch of mini hacks when you could do something like Toadette Strikes, which was really good for what it was. Not only does it make the game feel way more fluid and connected, but there really aren't any limitations to worry about.
CM30 wrote: It might also let me give the first part to raocow, have him make an LP of it and then continue in part 2 as a sort of 'sequel'.
You're assuming that he will. You're still designing with him in mind far too much, whereas you should really be focusing more on designing for yourself, lest you're going to end up with something that caters (painfully, most likely) to one person. Just an observation.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

S.N.N. wrote:
CM30 wrote:1. Quit SMW hacking and port the project to an independent engine, like Super Mario Fusion Revival or Mushroom Kingdom Fusion.
This is a far better option since it allows so much more freedom to do what you want, and given your vision of the game (e.g. cram as much in as possible), you're going to hit a snag even in an episodic route. No sense making a bunch of mini hacks when you could do something like Toadette Strikes, which was really good for what it was. Not only does it make the game feel way more fluid and connected, but there really aren't any limitations to worry about.
That's a good point. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do about the beta testers expecting a demo, or the contributions carol has said he'll provide in terms of ASM.

But I'm definitely going to consider finding a new engine. Maybe I'll try and add a git repository for the project, and then somehow get it promoted over at Fusion Gameworks.
CM30 wrote: It might also let me give the first part to raocow, have him make an LP of it and then continue in part 2 as a sort of 'sequel'.
You're assuming that he will. You're still designing with him in mind far too much, whereas you should really be focusing more on designing for yourself, lest you're going to end up with something that caters (painfully, most likely) to one person. Just an observation.[/quote]

I'm actually not caring too much what the Lets Players think, but I do see the business logic in trying to make sure they actually play the game at some point before they quit playing Mario fan works.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

You could also use the DT 3 engine for your game. It's going to be released with DT 3. One thing I don't like about the SMF engine (or the MKF engine at that) is the fact that Mario seems to be pretty unprecise with jumping. While you CAN get used to it as I have it takes some time to get used to the physics (like the characters' momentum).

The hunt begins!
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Slit08 wrote:You could also use the DT 3 engine for your game. It's going to be released with DT 3. One thing I don't like about the SMF engine (or the MKF engine at that) is the fact that Mario seems to be pretty unprecise with jumping. While you CAN get used to it as I have it takes some time to get used to the physics (like the characters' momentum).
Okay, I'll consider it.

However, for now, I'll do the following:

1. Take a break from this project, since my gaming website needs to be finished already (and my ambitious ideas for that dwarf even the level of ambition present in this game). Both SMW hacking and website development are major time sinks, so working on the latter for Gaming Reinvented will probably take priority for a while (especially given as it can make money)

2. Try and include as much in a demo on the SMW engine as possible. Yes, this means various things will have to be scrapped or simplified, since quite a lot of the patches are making things too unstable, but it does mean I can get something out later this year while I start figuring out how to port the game to a different engine.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

So yeah, this project isn't dead yet. Currently working on launching Gaming Reinvented, but am going to return to this soon.

Level additions:

Paranormal Chaos
Spring Water Oasis
Viva Las Vegas
First Steps
Buoy Base Galaxy
Armada Attack
Castle Bleck
Final Destination
Digital Disaster
The Perfect Run
The Warped Void
Mt Tea Pot
Sherbet Land
Ancient Ruins
Stove Canyon
SS Tea Cup
Maze Woods
Syrup Castle
Mysterious Factory
Uncanny Manor[/list]

I think you can guess some of the level themes.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Well, as you can tell, this kind of missed C3. I tried to get it done, but there's just so much to do that it wasn't possible.

But it ain't dead. Few minor progress updates:

Next up will be the sunken ghost ship equivalent. Which for the first half, is basically the airship above except underwater and the enemies dead/replaced by undead.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Minor updates:

Demo likely at NCFC 2015.
Yahochi-1359
さやか
First name: Sayaka
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Yahochi-1359 »

Looking Nice! :D
CM30 I like it of Wario Land Series Games. :)
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Yahochi-1359 wrote:Looking Nice! :D
CM30 I like it of Wario Land Series Games. :)
Thank you! Also, if you like the Wario series, you should probably check out Wario Forums (see signature).
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

This game looks awesome.

I hope there will be a demo soon. That would be super awesome. :)

The hunt begins!
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Slit08 wrote:This game looks awesome.

I hope there will be a demo soon. That would be super awesome. :)
Done:

https://gamingreinvented.com/forum/inde ... demo-1.15/

You may have to register to download said demo.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Well, this game is now a Fusion Gameworks project:

http://www.fusiongameworks.net/smf/inde ... ,58.0.html

In other words, it's now classified under the same banner as Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, Super Mario Fusion Revival, Mega Man Day in the Limelight and their other games.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Well, I probably won't update it here, but with Fusion Gameworks a bit quiet now, I thought I'd give some updates about the game on other sites I use. Since last time, we now have:

New snow levels:

New enemy graphics:

New Overworld GFX:

New pyramid GFX:

And a ton more I didn't show off yet. Also, it's now using SA-1, and will use either a 6MB or 8MB ROM too.
ParmaJon
Moose in a suit
First name: Jon (a bit too obvious?)
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by ParmaJon »

whoa that overworld looks crazy
Go to bed

CM30

Post by CM30 »

It's from Four Swords on GBA. I'm honestly surprised it fit in Super Mario World. And it was certainly a nightmare to assemble.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Some minor updates (mostly graphical):

And my attempt at making the K Rool fight look much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-sNiVQSyw

There are various extra changes coming as well. Like the redone boss order and changes. After extremely negative feedback in regards to dahnamics made boss sprites, I've changed the order to:

Xan Bie
Reznor (special)
[unknown]
Undine
K Rool
Tutankoopa
[unknown]
Fawful
[unknown (possibly Rudy the Clown)]
[Zelda boss]

This means the Giant Piranha boss and Wario boss are now scrapped.

It's also now an SA-1 game, and has a health system where you get more health after beating each boss, Zelda heart container style. Might also try and implement one of those JUMP style instant reset options too.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

No, it's still not dead:

And there's much more to come besides that. The levels shown will also have enemies and decorations soon as well.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Oh, I left out these pictures? Ah well, time to remedy that:

But that's the last thing you're getting for now. I would like to keep at least some stuff in this game secret.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Just gonna mention I redid the main overworld again. Wanted it to be a bit more linear than it was before:

Other than that, updates are a bit slow while I work on more important projects.