(shouting)

UpRising: The Mechanical Garden (v0.526 Released! 30/05/15)

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: UpRising: The Mechanical Garden (v0.51 Released! 30/11/14)

Post by 128-Up »

This is probably the first time I've been told a level is too easy. XD I definitely understand where you're coming from, though I doubt I'll be changing that level too much (if at all).

As for Boss 5X, it's probably the... second or third hardest EX boss? I think Boss 4X beats it and it's about level with Boss 3X.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Okay.

Hm Boss 4 is the only one I haven't seen in action so far.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Okay 1-up. I just finsihed both world 4 and world 5 (light Versions) with only one star missing in world 4-3.
Let me give you a Review of the two words:

World 4:
World 4 was fantastic. Absolutely awesome. All these Gimmicks, all These interesting enemies. God like Level design (except for one instance that I will talk about in a short time).
I wasn't a big fan of the Techno like Music in the light Version of the world, but then again it fits and it's always a matter of taste, so yeah. :D
Still the way you used These gimmikcs in creative ways was just perfect. Nothing else to say here.
The only instance I personally find pretty annoying is getting that star in 4-3. It's not even reaching the star and aquiring it. No, it's the way back. I absolutely cannot climb that wall on the very left of the stage. I have Problems as I Need to press right in order to wall jump. With the three tiles of Spikes though there's not enough place for me to make a series of wall jumps as I just cannot put my fingers away from the "arrow right" key in time and thus always end up hitting the Spikes. It's a sequence of key presses that I have big, big Problems with. I'd suggest to reduce These three tiles of Spikes on the wall to two Spikes and thus incresing the number of safe spots on the wall from three to four. This would make it a bit more doable. I'll continue to try a bit more though (even if this stage destroy my otherwise really good statistic for this world). But this is the only instance in world 4 that I do not like. Having peaked into the dark world it seems to be doable, at least it seems easier for me than world 2.
The Boss was also really well done. But I can see it being really hard on Ex. I so much predict to have no ground whatsoever during the third Phase. I see it coming. xD

World 5:
World 5 wasn't QUITE as good as world 4, but it was still pretty damn fun. The big positive about this world are the visuals. Really, the Background mixed with the cloud effects (or is it mist or fog?) is really beautifull. I can excuse the use of only one Background for this world due to the awesome visuals. Plus sneaking into the Dark World I have to admit that it's the most beauctifull, atmosphere soothing world of this game. The Grey Background with the Skyscrapers in the back and the nice forground with the pipes and the vents makes it really, really impressive.
This world was a bit lighter on both its Gimmicks and its enemies (or its enemy and Gimmick variety) but I did like every Gimmick and every enemy (These being the pumpkin Gimmick, the candle Gimmick, the bat enemies and the ghost enemies).
Now what is really funny is that world 5 is my second best world after world 1. xD :D I only died 88 times here (most of the times during that awesome but also hard final Level),
But you know what? This is totally okay. I regard this world as a breather in the middle.
Now the Boss was awesome and I also died very few times which surprised me as this Boss looked super hard when I was watching your YouTube Video of it). I don't know though if the Boss works as intended: Once he enters the Phase where he divides into These big black bubbles that you have to shoot his health gets reduced even if you only destroy one bubble before the Boss appears again. Shouldn't it be that the Boss only looses health if ALL of the bubbles are shot within a short period of time? Anyways, this world probably is on part with world 2.

So Overall my personal ranking for These worlds are:

World 4
World 5
World 2
World 3
World 1

I really hope though that world 6 will spike up the difficulty again and be a bit harder than world 4 and especially world 5.

Please disregard the fact that some of These words are capitalized. My German Computer Auto corrects words by capitalizing them even though he shouldn't. Oh well...

Also could you please tell me how to acquire the star in 3-7? I have Zero ideas how to do this...
EDIT: I am dumb, I know how to do this and I did it.

Now the only star I am missing is in 4-3 and I don't see how to ever pass this...

The hunt begins!
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Slit08 wrote:I don't know though if the Boss works as intended: Once he enters the Phase where he divides into These big black bubbles that you have to shoot his health gets reduced even if you only destroy one bubble before the Boss appears again. Shouldn't it be that the Boss only looses health if ALL of the bubbles are shot within a short period of time?
Speaking in place of the developers, I believe the boss is disguising itself as one of the five bubbles. Destroying the right one ends the illusion, while destroying the wrong ones will send trouble your way.
I don't really get it but okay
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Hey it's this game, this was recently brought back to my attention. I remember playing it way back in January this year when Slaix brought it to my attention. It was v0.4 back then.

I was (and still am) quite a fan of the game. With all the record keeping and collectible on every level. I'm glad to see the game is still being worked on and with the intention to finish it. Will definitely be playing the finished version, well, maybe sooner when I finish up my projects.

I only had 2 issues with the game. The first being this type of thing.
http://gyazo.com/71030a834093a555200bc6be4009e38f

Though I know there is some leeway with the hitbox.
http://gyazo.com/1b9194c574f39859221797633e942b32

But with there being no slow start up momentum, trying to line up jumps like these felt more frustrating than anything. These sorts of 1 tile gaps were luckily used sparingly. It's not a big deal when the small gap is against a wall where you can align yourself easily. Often times when trying to line up, I'd overshoot into the spikes even with just a quick tap on the keyboard.

The other thing, being a more prominent one, was losing the air jump if you pressed jump as you let go of the wall. I get what's going on, you're using your second jump as you leave the wall, but since you're not wall jumping, it's not replenishing. That just feels un-intuitive. When you want to gain height up a wall, to scale around a spike along it, you have to wall just straight up and then let go of the wall as you go up (but don't jump up), which will keep the air jump. Looks like others have pointed this out as well. I get that this may be by design, but as before, it doesn't feel intuitive, since our thoughts are to jump off the wall, not let go of it after a jump.

Anyway, keep it up, the game is great.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Hey it's this game, this was recently brought back to my attention. I remember playing it way back in January this year when Slaix brought it to my attention. It was v0.4 back then.
Development cycles are long. :V
ZephyrBurst wrote:I was (and still am) quite a fan of the game. With all the record keeping and collectible on every level. I'm glad to see the game is still being worked on and with the intention to finish it. Will definitely be playing the finished version, well, maybe sooner when I finish up my projects.

I only had 2 issues with the game. The first being this type of thing.
http://gyazo.com/71030a834093a555200bc6be4009e38f

Though I know there is some leeway with the hitbox.
http://gyazo.com/1b9194c574f39859221797633e942b32

But with there being no slow start up momentum, trying to line up jumps like these felt more frustrating than anything. These sorts of 1 tile gaps were luckily used sparingly. It's not a big deal when the small gap is against a wall where you can align yourself easily. Often times when trying to line up, I'd overshoot into the spikes even with just a quick tap on the keyboard.
Most of the time, I do provide a wall to rub yourself against somewhere for these, but I think that moment in 1-1X is the only time I pull that in v0.51

As for the wall-jump/slide thing, there'll almost certainly be changes to it to make it function more intuitively.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

128-Up wrote:Development cycles are long. :V
That they are.
128-Up wrote:Moist of the time, I do provide a wall to rub yourself against somewhere for these, but I think that moment in 1-1X is the only time I pull that in v0.51

As for the wall-jump/slide thing, there'll almost certainly be changes to it to make it function more intuitively.
How I feel now that you've said the last bit.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

ZephyrBurst wrote:
128-Up wrote:Moist of the time, I do provide a wall to rub yourself against somewhere for these, but I think that moment in 1-1X is the only time I pull that in v0.51

How I feel now that you've said the last bit.
*grumble grumble word filter's still not funny*

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Oh man, so I beat all 1-X Levels and am now absolutely destroyed by that Boss. And it's only the Ex Version of the first Boss! Damn this guy is hard. I don't want to know what the Bosses of world 3 or world 4 will be doing to me?

I also beat every single 2-X Level except for 2-10X which again is hell. :P

I beat 6 3-X Levels so far and 7 4-X Levels. However, I couldn't beat a single 5-X Level up to now. As easy as world 5 is on the light side it is probably the hardest X world so far on the dark side.

Hmm, does the witch gain new spells (like new spellcards, not only harder Versions of the attacks seen in the normal fight) in the Ex Version of the fight as well or stick to her old attacks? Cause maybe if she does this might give me the Motivation to try and beat world 5-X.

Sorry, to write about it again, but after thinking a bit I think I can guess at least three themes for the remaining worlds. Because I thought which well known Video game world themes BESIDE climate zones (like a desert world, an ice world etc.) do exist and are drastically different from others. Now you already mentioned there's going to be a Danmaku themed world.
But aside from that I came to the conclusion that there are two other themes.
One as mentioned before in an older post might be a factory world not only because of the Story but also because of the theme. We already have two modern, Sci Fi worlds, but they are different: One of them is an Abstract, virtual world, the other one takes place in space and lets you fight Aliens. A factory however would probably Focus on machines and fighting Robot enemies. This way it would be way different than the other two worlds. Plus it would provide awesome Gimmicks like Conveyer belts, smashers, cogs, maybe These fast firing aiming turrets from Super Meat Boy or a reversed gravity Gimmick where jumping on a Special block reverses gravity for the Player.
Another drastically different world, that I would love to see is some sort of ancient temple. Maybe it's like a Maya temple in the jungle (with Stone faces on the tiles, pillars, pots with fire etc.) or an ancient pyramid. just an ancient place with Focus on traps. It could have Gimmicks like Spikes that appear and disappear on the ground in certain time intervals, it could also Feature moving blocks that can Smash you if you don't watch their movement, it can have thwomp like enemies/ traps, boulders, arrows being shot from certain traps etc. Enemies being Golems, undead, Spiders or whatever fits in here. It's a prominent world in games like La Mulana or Spelunky. So I guess a temple like world is very possible. So yeah Ancient Temple, Factory and Japanese Danmaku.

Anyways gonna continue fighting this damn Boss. :P

EDIT: Boss 1-EX is down!! I also beat 2-10X. You don't want to imagine how awesome I felt after beating this stage.

But Boss 2-EX is an ass. Seriously, he is. :o OMG, his first form is incredibly hard to dodge.

All Levels of 4-X done!

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Hey 128 Up one question: Does your engine support swimming? Like swimming freely underwater?

The hunt begins!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

Slit08 wrote:Hey 128 Up one question: Does your engine support swimming? Like swimming freely underwater?
Well this shares most of the fundamentals as the engine used in my previous game, and that did have water objects in it, so... maybe?

I'd need clarification about why you're asking.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Oh I saw a Video of a game called I Wanna Find my Destiny, which is a very recently released IWBTG fangame with a pretty good Quality. One of the stages was an underwater themed stage taking place in an Ecco Level. It had interesting Gimmicks, so here's the link:

http://www.twitch.tv/stinkycheeseone890/b/598243187

The said Level starts at 51:14! I was jsut amazed by it and thaught it could work well in your game. A beautifull underwater world with soothing, Relaxing Music and awesome water themed gimmicks like water currents pushing you around, fish enemies and other underwater themed enemies, electric eels etc.

That being said this fangame is awesome. You might want to watcht he entire speedrun of this in said Video or Play it for yourself (though it is hard as balls)!

The hunt begins!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

Ah yes, this game. I think I'm somewhere in Stage 2 right now. (I'm bad at aiwanas, hehe.)

Water will probably be involved somewhere, though. Seems like something I should use.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Yeah, once again it provides something totally different theme wise than the other worlds. A world that is beautifull and at least Looks somewhat quiet and mysterious (as underwater landscapes can be).
Plus a water world would be very different gameplay wise as well as it allows you to freely move in each direction.
Oh well, currently trying to beat 5X Levels.

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Okay, I beat all 5X Levels.

But jsut like with world 2X I just cannot beat the Boss. These Ex Bosses are way too hard for me.

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Time for some screenshots finally:

Last edited by Slit08 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

The hunt begins!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

You sure you don't wanna spoiler tag those to save people loading them?

EDIT: Oh, right, I should say something useful about the records posted. Some of the times are quite a bit over what I'd expect (for example, 2-10 and 3-5X, to name but a couple), but most of the death counts are around my expectations, thankfully... save for a few scattered about the records. Most notably 3-7 and 4-9X. What happened there? o.o

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Alright, I put that in spoilers.

What happened in these two stages? I got rekt. :P

Nah, but seriously: 3-7 I told you before that I had diffiulties with due to wall and double jumping shenanigans.

4-9X I misinterpreted and did lots of things wrong at different locations in the dungeon until I found the right solution.

I might try to continue beating the rest of the X stages and the bosses. The Ex bosses are super hard though, ahrder than the X stages in my oppinion.
However let me tell you, that I might never beat 3-7X... that's like literally hell for me, sorry. :(

Hmm, I really hope that the result of beating each Dark World will be an extra or special world being opened up, one that consists of 10 levels, but without a Dark World equivalent (and thus without stars) and that also has a boss at the end. That would give me the motivation to actually finish these Dark Worlds, though I have a feeling that later ones will be extremely tough (Danmaku world and especially 10X).

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Okay, seriously. I have one question to you: Could you please record a video of the Ex version of the 4th boss? I have no idea how it is possible to defeat this guy... I do have an idea how to evade other bosses attacks but with this one I just have no clue whatsoever. The third phase is just killing me and I have no idea how to evade all that. Looking at the health bar I fear that he has an additional phase, a 4th one (though I don't know if I should be worried about that cause the faster the 3rd phase has been survived, the better). But Jeez... this guy... it destroys my face, even more so than the other EX bosses.

So I'd greatly appreciate a video of you fighting the boss. :)

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Here's a new Level that 128-Up has been worked on:

It seems to be part of a side world, that is not part of the main game worlds and that is a reference to I Wanna Kill the Kamilia, a pretty well-known Wannabe game amongst its community.

I guess you are working on it once in a while whenever you wait for your visuals dev to finish up a new tileset for another world, which seems to be the case right now with world 6.
Last edited by Slit08 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

The hunt begins!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

You know, Slit, if you really want to post the video for me, at least do it correctly.

Oh, and I know I posted this in raocow's "Merry Christmas" thread, but the picture is relevant to World 6...

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Sorry. I thought the at function in the text would be the one for linking Videos?!

Anyways, it Looks like world 6 will be ice world. Nice. :) Now if there are beautifull snowing animations I will be a happy man. :D
Heh, it's funny how world 5 and now world 6 are actually themed after the time they are released. :P First Halloween, now winter/ christmas. I wish you a merry Christmas as well.

Also man, the only Thing that I miss now from unlocking the Ex Boss of world 3 and also the only Level that I didn't beat till now is 3-7X. this Level is made of pure evil and I have no clue how to beat that. The hardest stage in the game so far, Hands down!!
I will probably never see the Ex Version of the Figurine Fighter. :(

EDIT: Yep, it is just something that I personally am not able to do: 260 deaths in this stage. :(

YES!!!

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Sorry for the double post, but this is worth its own post.

I just made this screenshot:
:D :D Heck yeah, I beat 3-7X somehow.

I don't know it took only a couple of tries before. I got the hang out of it. Still I consider it the hardest X stage so far.
Anyways the Ex Version of the Boss looked super awesome and the fight was pretty intense. But in all honesty? It was the easiest Ex Boss for me. :D Sure his attacks came a bit faster and also that final Phase was pretty nasty, however I had lots of space to hit and just like in his light Version he had a lot of time were he spent at a certain palce and thus could be shot repeatedly at.

So from easiest to hardest Ex Boss I would say:

3-Ex
1-Ex
5-Ex
2-Ex
4-Ex

And oh man, I really hope you'll give some of the later Ex bosses some creepy visual make-over (or well... Neo) just like you did with 3-Ex... he was looking super epic. You can tell that to Neo as I don't know how to contact him or where to contact him. :)
Also 3-Ex was the most fun Ex Boss to fight, followed by 5-Ex, 4-Ex, 1-Ex and then 2-Ex.

Finally I really hope that some of These later Ex bosses will have new additional attack phases like the Boss of 1-Ex and 4-Ex did (even though both were rather easy, but they added up to the fights :) ).
And knowing These Kind of games I somehow predict a Boss fight where you fight against two bosses, each with its own attacks as well as a Screen filling giant Boss later on. Let's see if I shall remain right with my predicitions or not..

Also two questions:
1.) May I be right with my assumption that each of the Ex bosses (also the ones in the future worlds) will have its red laser attack? Each of the Ex bosses used the laser at least one. :P
2.) Do you already know what the bosses of the remaining 5 worlds will be both visual and concept/ design/ attack wise or do you come up with These ideas at the apporpriate time (after finishing a world)?

So yeah, all in all a really awesome game that I appreciate a lot and that I can actually beat having fun unlike some of These IWBTG fangames. :P

Keep up the good work, we're half way through the main Story, so there's still a lot to look Forward to. I am really interested in seeing world 6. :) I hope visually it's going to turn out beautifull as the rest of the game.

Have a nice day and enhoy the Holiday season. :)

The hunt begins!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

The only part of that post I feel I should reply to is the victory over Toothache (3-7X). How many deaths, Slit? :P

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Yeah, quite a lot. This stage kinda influenced the death record for the entire world. :P

Did anyone else comment on this stage before saying that it is hard? Or is it just me?

One question is left though and I hope that you can answer this one at least as it is not a Spoiler about stuff to come but something about the Content that is already in the game: The visuals for 5X are drastically different from those of the light Version of this world, more so than any other world before.
The tiles used here are rusty blocks and pipes and vents in front of a foggy, Grey City. Is this a tribute to Silent Hill?

The hunt begins!