(shouting)

I wanna be the raocow! [Dormant, but open to discussion]

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Heraga

Re: I wanna be the raocow! [Collab- Lots of level slots open!]

Post by Heraga »

So like is this still going? I've stopped working on my level(s) but I'll get back to work if this is still on.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by 128-Up »

Look at the post directly above the one you just made.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

It's been over a month since that post. I've not really seen a whole bunch of progress on this since September/October. I'll contuine my Hub though.
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

Ningamer wrote:It's been over a month since that post. I've not really seen a whole bunch of progress on this since September/October. I'll contuine my Hub though.
If you really want to work more on this you can. I'm not going to bother with this right now since I'm already overwhelmed as is. I will return to this eventually; at some point I'll have to do something in my free time after I finish other things.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

I figured I might as well do something.

If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I'm still open to discussion if you guys want. Again, this will probably never officially die since I'll reach a point where I've finished my other projects and I'll need more to do.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Re: I wanna be the raocow! [Dormant, but open to discussion]

Post by HamsterZerg »

Ideas for secret bosses:
-Zee Tee (Eversion)
-Wind (Demo Fanart Thread)
-Viridi (Kid Icarus Uprising)
-Crow (cat planet)
-Crow (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
-Lord Vyce (Atop The 4th Wall)
-Yuga (The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds)
-Bird Jesus (Twitch Plays Pokemon)
-The Pyro (Team Fortress 2)
-Mecha-Reimu (Original)
-GLaDOS (Portal)
-The Seven Ghosts (I SPY Spooky Mansion)
-The Royal Knights (Digimon)
-Vulragon (MonsterMMORPG)
-slowbeef (Metroid)
-Malus (Shadow of the Colossus)
-Gol-Set (Titan Souls)
-Fast Pokey (MaGL2, inspired by ProtonJonSA)
-JonTron (JonTron)

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

HamsterZerg wrote:Ideas for secret bosses:
-Zee Tee (Eversion)
-Wind (Demo Fanart Thread)
-Viridi (Kid Icarus Uprising)
-Crow (cat planet)
-Crow (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
-Lord Vyce (Atop The 4th Wall)
-Yuga (The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds)
-Bird Jesus (Twitch Plays Pokemon)
-The Pyro (Team Fortress 2)
-Mecha-Reimu (Original)
-GLaDOS (Portal)
-The Seven Ghosts (I SPY Spooky Mansion)
-The Royal Knights (Digimon)
-Vulragon (MonsterMMORPG)
-slowbeef (Metroid)
-Malus (Shadow of the Colossus)
-Gol-Set (Titan Souls)
-Fast Pokey (MaGL2, inspired by ProtonJonSA)
-JonTron (JonTron)
That is certainly a way to dig up this thread

[edit]
honestly maybe, if someone really wanted to do them. But they'd have to be discussed first. My main problem is that most of those don't relate to raocow, but then again, being wtf and random is extremely raocow-ey.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

HamsterZerg wrote:Ideas for secret bosses:
-JonTron (JonTron)
Also if this legit became a thing I'd make the music (It'd be otoMAD/ytpmv)

Also could apply for cat planet
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

If this becomes a thing again, I want to ask a question:

Are we trying to make a good IWBTG fangame or just a game to get laughs out of raocow?

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

128-Up wrote:Are we trying to make a good IWBTG fangame or just a game to get laughs out of raocow?
Quality is a bigger priority; I don't want to make a game for the sake of just being played by raocow. I want to take this in the same direction as A2XT, in which while that is silly at times and raocow-referential, it's still a good enough game to be played by anyone. So yeah, Ultimately both can be achieved (Though not just out of raocow, the jokes shouldn't just be obnoxious inside jokes that look dumb if you're an outsider)
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Do you strive for visuals that are really good and fit well together as well as good bosses with realistic attacks like in I Wann Find My Destiny or weird graphical choices and "silly" attacks like apples etc. as we know from most IWBTG fangames?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I think more people would enjoy the game if it had cleaner/better presented visuals vs. spam generic tiles and scaled 8bit sprites.

With the silly visuals, it'd have to be something that works really well as a joke. Basically it shouldn't look like it's there because the designer was lazy.

Also, I really don't want to see cherries since they've been used so much seeing more would tempt me to vomit. (Again, unless it's like the above) Bosses should be handled by people who are good with them, or if someone has good ideas but can't program they could just discuss.

Yeah, boss attacks should make sense to a degree (Unless, again, above) and should be creative.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Sounds good to me.

Just an idea: What would you think of Demos Siblings as the main bosses. This time without engine limitations. That could be great for creative ideas what to do with them.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I dunno about necessarily being the main bosses of the whole game (Not ruling it out) but since this is going to be in a more modern engine of sorts (Whether I use an existing one or make it) so I definitely want to see stuff that can do crazy things you won't see on snes or whatever.

Also if you want, I could make a Skype group chat for this. Or you could add me if noone else is interested in that.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

mellonpizza wrote:this is going to be in a more modern engine of sorts (Whether I use an existing one or make it)
is Yuuutu Engine still ruled out? I remember that being a point of conversation. :P

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

128-Up wrote: is Yuuutu Engine still ruled out? I remember that being a point of conversation. :P
I'm weary of using existing editors; not because they're necessarily bad but because personally with all the garbage fangames that feel nearly identical, I personally get kinda sick watching playthroughs of various games using those engines, whether they're good or not. I watched a bit of I wanna find my destiny and it looks like a good amount of effort was put into it and I think in general it's a fine game, but the other various games taint it for me. It's not the engine creator's fault. Though, maybe it could be personal taste.

Gamemaker is an okay engine, though the free edition is kinda limited in creativity (Can't really use extra programs/libraries). I might try to make my own engine, not just so everything is exactly how we want it, but so I can get better in higher-level coding.

Another Idea was to maybe have a slightly different 'feel'; maybe alter the physics a bit and not necessarily go for tight, restricted obstacle courses. I think a game that can stand out on its own will have a better run and be good for the greater.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

I personally think that you might be being a little harsh on the existing fangame engines (Yuuutu indeed being the most utilised of them all), and if you consider the fact that you want this to be playable by people outside raocow's community, then the new main target is the aiwana community themselves, and I can tell you that they're incredibly rarely happy when they have to relearn how a jump works.

As for the "going for a unique feel" bit... honestly, good luck. There's 2000+ existing games already, so I personally reckon you should not reinvent the wheel, but just make a really nice wheel, per se.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

128-Up wrote:I personally think that you might be being a little harsh on the existing fangame engines (Yuuutu indeed being the most utilised of them all), and if you consider the fact that you want this to be playable by people outside raocow's community, then the new main target is the aiwana community themselves, and I can tell you that they're incredibly rarely happy when they have to relearn how a jump works.

As for the "going for a unique feel" bit... honestly, good luck. There's 2000+ existing games already, so I personally reckon you should not reinvent the wheel, but just make a really nice wheel, per se.
I'm not saying the engines aren't bad, they're probably fine. I'm not a fan of the games that are made from them, though.

I think the main way to make the game feel unique is to add elements and such that make people play with a different mindset, and also relate to raocow alot (The games he's played). Obviously I'm not trying to be original, I'm making a fangame. But I think adding these elements will make it "a really nice wheel".

Do you have skype? With how quick we're responding it'd probably be better to use that.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

I don't think many people (even fangame players) enjoy most of the games that people make and upload. :P

I'm not too sure what "elements" you had in mind; I'd be interested to hear those.

Oh, and I PM'd you my Skype.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
momo

Post by momo »

Why would you ever want to be the raocow
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

who wouldn't

raocow is life
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

I was actually wondering if the title, while tentative, was any good... and I'm leaning towards "not really", though I can't think of any better ones.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

For anyone interested:

If you want to discuss, add me on Skype (mellonpizza@gmail.com) and I'll add you into our group