(shouting)

I wanna be the raocow! [Dormant, but open to discussion]

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

I wanna be the raocow! [Dormant, but open to discussion]

Post by mellonpizza »

(On hiatus for now, but not dead. You can still think of ideas)

DEVKIT: To be done sometime...

So I thought making an IWBTG fangame based around raocow would be an awesome project for the talkhaus to do. Ya know, since they like making crazy things and sometimes go overboard with the difficulty (No offense).

I'll take some precautions to avoid this becoming another one of a couple thousand (Apparently, that's not hyperbole) trash fangames.
- Variety of graphics instead of bland, overused tilesets used in iwbtg games.
- Quality filter: Levels are judged. A few people can evaluate levels. No screens of nothing but spike mazes.
- Speaking of which, It would be good to have a variety of objects/mechanics too keep the game fresh.
- Not super ridiculous hard. Especially with the way the game is set up, without caution it can become another I Wanna See You Suffer. Tip: When you test a level, how hard it feels to you will be much harder for a first time player. The difficulty should be at a level where raocow won't have a hard time. No rooms where he will spend hours trying to get past it. I stress this point because it's important.

Basically, we should make it feel unique, like how I wanna be the boshy kinda has its own feel. Or, hell, like I wanna be the guy when it first came to the internet. I'll leave the general game structure here vague so you all can make crazy, weird and cool suggestions. Don't feel limited to what's in the engine right now; if you have an awesome idea for an obstacle/enemy, request it! Or make it yourself if you can.

THINGS YOU SHOULD POST IDEAS ABOUT:
-More World/level themes (We can probably have a few more)
-Story details (I think we may have settled on a story idea, but if you have suggestions, post them)
-Graphics (Tilesets, player graphics, overall art style)
-Gimmicks/Obstacles/enemies suggestions
-Powerups/player abilities

The game will have a big hub divided into worlds. Each world has warps, which are composed of a handful of screens (Nothing that drags on forever- I might not suggest a screen quantity since it may stifle ideas). A warp is based off of a single theme, like a game raocow played.

This will show world themes/claimed screens
+ games following a plus are extra ideas you could reference for that level.
Added subarea/sublevel themes to levels

World 1: Super Mario World
#1: Roseclair Stage (A Super Mario Thing Series) + A2MT + ASMBXT
Ningamer (First screens)
-Kanji factory (Probably will spell something in japanese)
#2: Thirdspace Stage (Second Reality Project Series)
-Bowser's Starship
Mellonpizza (Something)
#3: Foroze Stage (Apocalypse of Foroze) + Super talking time bros
#4: Plague Stage (Super Mario Infinity) + Other romhacks
Granix
#5: Abyss Stage/ AREA42 stage (VIP Series) + Hyper V + Kouhai mario + Brutal Mario?
World 2: Megaman
#1: Destroyed Castle Stage (Mega Man Unlimited)

Comet woman area
Yoku man area
Up128
Fortress area

#2: Justice Stage (Mega Man Rock Force)
#3: Apartment Stage (Nezumi Man)
cheez8
#4: Labyrinth Stage (Rockman 4 Minus Infinity)
-Ring man area/miniboss
-Bright man area/miniboss
-Dive man area/miniboss
-Pharoah man area/miniboss
-Skull man area/miniboss
-Dust man area/miniboss
-Toad man area/miniboss
-Drill man area/miniboss
+We probably can't have all 8 robot masters, so ideas on what we could do here would be nice
Mellonpizza (Something)
#5: World Champion Stage (Megaman x Street fighter)
World 3: Action/Adventure
#1: Security Stage (Distorted Travesty Series)
cheez8
#2: Chelsea Stage (Bunny Must Die!)
#3: Geyser Stage (Fantasy Explorer Nitroid)/Mari ari/Hina's fluffy dream
#4: Simulation Stage (Copy Kitty)
World 4: Indie
#1: Sprint Stage (Runman: Race Around the World)
#2: Laboratory Stage (VVVVVV)
-Tower autoscroller?
-Warp zone?
-Gravitron?
-Veni/Vidi/Vici?
8flight (Something)
#3: CloudRun Stage (An Untitled Story)
#4: Cat planet stage
Ningamer (Mid screens)
World 5: ???

Touhou shmup segment claims:
-
-
-

Level themes without worlds
MariAri Trap tower?
Kirby's dreamland 3
Commander Keen
Super Marisa World
Megamari?
Normal Super Mario Bros?
Secret levels (SHHHHHHHHHHH)
S1: Kaizo level (What the hell?)
S2: Megaman X monkey cheese edition (Based off of videos raocow did for somthing - Playlist reference
Boss ideas
-Demo
-Sheath
-Key Boss
-Black Plauge (Though that's been done to death)
-The kid
-cowrao for the final boss
Hub claims
World 1: Mellonpizza
World 2: Ningamer
World 3:
World 4:
World 5:

Music claims (Make a custom song, remix, or just say what songs you want there):
HUB- RVLutionTimeLord

Roseclair Stage

Thirdspace Stage

Foroze Stage

Plague Stage

Abyss Stage

Destroyed Castle Stage

Justice Stage

Apartment Stage

Labyrinth Stage

Security Stage

Chelsea Stage

Geyser Stage

Simulation Stage

Sprint Stage

Laboratory Stage

CloudRun Stage
Use these ideas to think of neat stuff!
Don't feel limited to using mechanics from those specific areas- take ideas from the rest of the respective game or and in something random for lulz!
Last edited by mellonpizza 6 years ago, edited 46 times in total.
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
Heraga

Re: I wanna be the raocow (Possible collab)

Post by Heraga »

mellonpizza wrote:So I thought making an IWBTG fangame based around raocow would be an awesome project for the talkhaus to do. Ya know, since they like making crazy things and sometimes go overboard with the difficulty (No offense).

Now, I've successfully made my own platforming engine, so I can easily make a base engine that people can work with. You can export/import resources with game maker, so if a lot of people don't know how to code objects I can probably do requests. (I'm not the best at efficient programming, but chances are I can make what you want)

Now, if this gets a decent amount of interest, I'll take some precautions to avoid this becoming another one of a couple thousand (Apparently, that's not hyperbole) trash fangames.
- Variety of graphics instead of bland, overused tilesets used in iwbtg games.
- Quality filter: Levels are judged. A few people can evaluate levels. No screens of nothing but spike mazes.
- Speaking of which, It would be good to have a variety of objects/mechanics too keep the game fresh.
- Not super ridiculous hard. Especially with the way the game is set up, without caution it can become another I Wanna See You Suffer. Tip: When you test a level, how hard it feels to you will be much harder for a first time player. The difficulty should be at a level where raocow won't have a hard time. No rooms where he will spend hours trying to get past it. I stress this point because it's important.

Basically, we should make it feel unique, like I wanna be the boshy. Or, hell, like I wanna be the guy when it first came to the internet. I'll leave the general game structure here vague so you all can make crazy, weird and cool suggestions.
I want to be co leader!!!!
I will do Anything for this collab!
I love collab's!
I'll start my level Now!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by 128-Up »

Aw, no needle screens?

Also, if I may propose something... don't make most of the bosses avoidances, please! (lookin' at you, Kamilia 3)
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Wait...One thing...What are we developing this in?
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

mellonpizza wrote:So I thought making an IWBTG fangame
- Not super ridiculous hard.
You are not making an IWBTG fangame.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

I want to be co leader!!!!
I love collab's!
I'll start my level Now!
If you wouldn't act so immature your chances would be a bit higher.

I think that is a great idea. Maybe I can create a screen or two.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Ningamer wrote:I want to be co leader!!!!
I love collab's!
I'll start my level Now!
Well, if you're going to be dedicated to this if this gets into full swing, I think you could co-lead. I only doubt since it seems you've started a lot of other collabs and you potentially have a lot on your plate.

Also, for now we don't really have to make progress. For now I want to see interest. Honestly I have quite a bit on my plate, so when I finish my other involvement is the earliest we can start. (Ningamer- Unless you're just getting ideas on paper, wait until I have the first engine build to actually structure you levels.

Oh yeah, this is in game maker.

And as for needle screens, I just don't want something that's bland and too hard. It's not interesting to watch or play. But if you can make it interesting, it could probably be added.
Ningamer wrote:- Not super ridiculous hard.
I mean something you would consider ridiculous even for iwbtg. Boshy's difficulty is probably a good difficulty to aim for
I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

mellonpizza wrote:And as for needle screens, I just don't want something that's bland and too hard. It's not interesting to watch or play. But if you can make it interesting, it could probably be added.
I might try to pitch in a few of those.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Unaniem wrote:
Technically, there's more to IWBTG games than "super hard and precise". Another big aspect is having a lot of devious traps in the way, those that purposely catch the player unaware. And there are games that are based primarily on the latter aspect.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Soooo since I'm ganna be co-leader (hopefully) I shall claim screens 1,2,and 3!
Also I will make a story!
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

ano0maly wrote:
Unaniem wrote:
Technically, there's more to IWBTG games than "super hard and precise". Another big aspect is having a lot of devious traps in the way, those that purposely catch the player unaware. And there are games that are based primarily on the latter aspect.
Like I Wanna Be The Parallel World or I Wanna Win The Traps (I think it's named?)
both games are hard by their traps, and those traps are also ridiculous and innovative
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

I really liked the Ear Rape spider traps from I wanna be the boshy.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Totally awesome story:

raocow is having a nightmare of IWBTG after LPing It on his channel!
A dream demon by the name of Zyzard uses this as a way to escape from the dream world.
To cover up his tracks he banishes raocow to the nightmare world! Now the only way to escape
the dream world is for raocow to pass the Trial's of Talkhaus and destroy the dream demon!

Hope you like it...
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

ano0maly wrote:Another big aspect is having a lot of devious traps in the way, those that purposely catch the player unaware. And there are games that are based primarily on the latter aspect.
Oh yeah, I should probably touch up on traps. Nobody is making a screen that is basically nothing but traps with spikes doing random stuff. That's lazy. I've read some of Kayin's posts on how he designed IWBTG and how each trap he makes basically either A: designed around how a player would aprroach an obstacle psychologically or B: it's funny. Basicallly, don't make a room two dozen trial-and-error obstacles.
128-Up wrote:Also, if I may propose something... don't make most of the bosses avoidances, please! (lookin' at you, Kamilia 3)
I think boss designs like original iwbtg are a good way to design them. Though people can be creative on how they damage the bosses (thinking outside the box)

Before we start claiming screens/whatnot, we should probably decide on the game's structure (Is is like SM64 with a hub? Metroidvania? Linear?) And other things, like the player character (Demo?) and maybe reoccuring things (Like cherries or ear rape spider)
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

Ningamer wrote:...the Trials of Talkhaus...
Firstly, I fixed the apostrophe. Seriously how do you mess that up

Secondly, please no "Break Through Seven Trials"-type screens

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

128-Up wrote:

Mess What Up?

Also I mean every 20 screens there would be a boss.
Think of It as mega man where you can play any level in any order!

Once you beat all 7 level's you can go and Fight that Dream Demon in his castle...

5-7 People could Collaborate on one level!
Also the bosses would be important talkhaus members
I was thinking that Me and MellonPizza Should be the final boss because we're the creator's!
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

I think a good way to divide up levels is to decide on Area/world themes, and people can claim to do X number of screens for that world. Screens could then be put together on how they fit best, with maybe some minor modifying to line up boundaries and a few screens designed to tie them all together.
Bosses can probably have their own thread if this manages to become a forum in collab extravaganza.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

Ningamer wrote:
128-Up wrote:

Mess What Up?

Once you beat all 7 level's you can go and Fight that Dream Demon in his castle...

I was thinking that Me and MellonPizza Should be the final boss because we're the creator's!
"Trials" has no apostrophe. You inserted one. Don't do that.

Also in response to the "bosses being members". On one hand, a lot of fangames do that. On the other, what's wrong with original bosses? ._.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Secondly, please no "Break Through Seven Trials"-type screens[/quote]

Mess What Up?

I was thinking that Me and MellonPizza Should be the final boss because we're the creator's![/quote]

"Trials" has no apostrophe. You inserted one. Don't do that.

Also in response to the "bosses being members". On one hand, a lot of fangames do that. On the other, what's wrong with original bosses? ._.[/quote]

We can Have orangil bosses it's just that I wanna be a boss!
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Ningamer wrote:We can Have orangil bosses it's just that I wanna be a boss!
...Honestly I don't really see any talkhaus members taking a place as a boss with the exception of raocow (Which I either want to be the final boss or player character). Maybe you could put some sort of reference to yourself in your level, but even then I don't know how you would since you don't even have a user avatar.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

mellonpizza wrote:
...Honestly I don't really see any talkhaus members taking a place as a boss with the exception of raocow (Which I either want to be the final boss or player character). Maybe you could put some sort of reference to yourself in your level, but even then I don't know how you would since you don't even have a user avatar.
It just want to be a wall of Text Saying "Ningamer Was Here Yo!"
That's my boss!
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

mellon came up with the idea, and he just said that the only Talkhaus member to be a boss is gonna be raocow

so quit it

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

128-Up wrote:mellon came up with the idea, and he just said that the only Talkhaus member to be a boss is gonna be raocow

so quit it
I don't wanna be a boss I wanna be a obstacle in a level!
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Ningamer wrote:
mellonpizza wrote:
It just want to be a wall of Text Saying "Ningamer Was Here Yo!"
That's my boss!
Woah, take it easy.

First, you are "only" the co-creator, yet you act like you're the boss here.

Second, why would you want to place a sign on a screen with your name on it? Do you need attention?
mellonpizza
working

Post by mellonpizza »

Ningamer wrote:I don't wanna be a boss I wanna be a obstacle in a level!
Calm your tetas. I don't even know what you mean by what you just said. Just make some silly screen ideas.