LATEST TEST BUILD
GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER WITH DOCUMENTATION AND STUFF
Test Build V0.0.0.005
Test Build V0.0.0.003
Test Build V0.0.0.001
Test Build V0.0.0.000
(in order of newest to oldest)
What is this?
An engine/framework being developed in Unity as an alternative to Mario World, SMBX and the Hello Engine, specifically geared towards ASMT games.
Why should I use this?
Unity is a completely free engine and offers a ridiculous amount of customization for the in-editor tools. The end goal of this project is a free, open-source engine and development suite that’s user-friendly like SMBX, but much more flexible and custom-tailored toward ASMT-style gameplay.
What are some of the cool features this engine will offer?
- No arbitrary limits – as many of each resource type as you want, levels as big as your computer can handle, ALL THE CHECKPOINTS, etc.
- Take advantage of Unity’s inherent 3D capabilities for 3D / 2.5D overworlds, easy parallax scrolling in levels and other nifty stuff
- An extensive code framework and series of in-editor tools to help simplify creating or modifying characters, enemies, bosses, blocks, items, tilesets, you name it
- Layer-based level editing with the option to set the movement/physics, color and other properties for each layer
- An event scripting system similar to that in SMBX – set up fancy cutscenes and scripted events without touching the source code (though that’s certainly an option if you want)
- Environmental controls like weather effects, darkness, tint and ambient sounds to help create the perfect atmosphere for your level
- Build standalone executables for PC, Mac, Linux and the Unity Web Player
- And many more!
I can’t give any sort of precise percentage or anything and I'm still working on a more concrete checklist, so for now let's just say it'll be a while. At the time of writing this, much of the groundwork has been laid out and most of the above features are already implemented to some degree, but the engine is still very buggy and incomplete.