(shouting)

Characters, Classes and Magic

Revolution, the only solution, the armed response of an entire nation.

This is an RPG.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Characters, Classes and Magic

Post by Clamestarebla »

This is where characters,classes and magic suggestions are going to be.
A list of what we've got so far:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Myrmidon > Swordmaster: Katana guy, Swordmaster
Fighter > Warrior: Fighter > Revolutionary
Archer > Sniper: -Rifleman > Marksman
Mercenary > Hero: Minutemen> Captain
Knight (Armor Knight) > General > Brony > Brony Mod
Thief > Assassin: this is good
Pirate > Berserker: Furry > Berseker
Cavalier > Paladin: Brony Knight(alternate brony path) > Ascended Pony
Nomad > Nomad Trooper: Hobo, Insane Hobo
Pegasus Knight > Falcon Knight: Pegasusknight(alternate brony path) > Ascended Pegasus
Wyvern Rider > Wyvern Lord: Llama Rider, Llama Master

Monk / Cleric > Bishop: Patcholite / Healer > Priest
Troubadour > Valkyrie: Artist > Artist Wizard
Mage > Sage: Student > War Wizard
Shaman > Druid: Hacker > ASMer

Dancer / Bard: Catplanet(1-hit guys who are numerous) / Flag Bearer

Cosair: Rabid Furry
Civilian: Talkhauser
Archsage
Dark Druid
Bramimond
Fire Dragon
Prince
Soldier
So we can create our own or just rename and resprite already existing ones.
Last edited by Clamestarebla 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Characters, Classes and Magic

Post by WestonSmith »

I'm not really the right guy for this sort of thing (I don't spend much time at the talkhaus, nor do I play Fire Emblem), but if you decide to replace the class names and sprites, might I suggest going the post-modern route? That is, everyone would have seemingly normal professions, but with extroadinary abilities?

Examples:
-Archer: Accountant (fires pencils instead of arrows)
-Bard: Waiter (holds a menu instead of a harp)
-Berserker: Lumberjack (natural fit for an axe wielder)
-Cavalier: Mountie (Canada's horse riding officers)
-Nomad: Hobo (really just a modern day nomad)
That sort of thing.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

As a guy who's only seriously played that remake of the first game for the DS, what even are half of those classes?
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Yeah so, here's a more-helpful list for those that aren't complete Fire Emblem veterans:

STATS BY THE WAY
HP: Health, naturally. If you run out, you're dead forever, no questions asked.
Strength/Magic: Attack power.
Skill: Affects accuracy and critical rate.
Speed: Affects the character's Attack Speed (yeah it's technically a different stat, just roll with it); the difference in Attack Speed between two dueling units determines whether one might double-attack the other.
Defense: Reduces damage from weapons.
Resistance: Reduces damage from magic.
Luck: Affects accuracy, evasion, and critical evasion (lowers the opponent's critical chance).
Movement: How many (maximum) tiles can be traveled in a single turn.
Build/Constitution: The character's weight/physical size. Determines whether one unit can 'rescue' another (that is, having one unit carry another for protection/transportation).
ALSO WEAPON TYPES
Fire Emblem's standard weapon types include the 'weapon triangle' (works like rock-paper-scissors) of Swords, Axes, and Lances (Swords > Axes > Lances > Swords) and a 'magic triangle' of Light, Dark, and Anima (elemental magic) (Light > Dark > Anima > Light); there are also Bows that fall outside the triangle. Whichever unit has the upper hand in a duel gets +1 damage and +10 accuracy, while the loser gets the same stats reduced by the same amount.
Swords/Light magic: accurate but less powerful
Axes/Dark magic: stronger but less accurate
Lances/Anima magic: balance between the two
Bows are relatively accurate/less powerful I think

All of the normal weapons have a one-tile range, while bows can attack two tiles away but NOT one tile. Magic is more versatile, being able to attack at both one- and two-tile range. There are also variants of the normal weapons that can also attack 1-2 tiles (javelins/spears for Lances, handaxes for Axes; there's occasionally a 'magic sword' for Swords, but it tends to be rare; additionally, longbows are Bows that can reach 2-3 tiles), but I think they're a little less accurate when attacking from 2 range.

There are also Staffs/Staves, which are usually used for healing but can have other effects as well. Classes that can only use Staffs are helpless and cannot fight at all.

ALSO a character's weapon rank(s) increases as they repeatedly use a weapon type, allowing them to use higher-ranked weapons; higher-ranked weapons are usually less accurate but stronger, but a number also have special effects like being super-effective against certain unit types.
Classes from FE7/Blazing Sword (base class followed by promoted class)
Note that in the GBA games (possibly the older ones as well, I don't know), characters have either a Strength stat OR a Magic stat, so all characters/classs have to be split between weapons or magic, not both (unless it works to have a class that's equally good at both? the stat would still only read as one or the other though).

Myrmidon > Swordmaster: Sword-users that are fast and accurate, but have low defenses; Swordmasters have an increased Critical chance.
Fighter > Warrior: Axe-users with tons of HP and good damage, but not so great on defense/accuracy; Warriors can also use bows.
Archer > Sniper: Bow-users, Snipers are very accurate; but as you might expect they are in serious danger if someone gets right up in their grill.
Mercenary > Hero: Sword-users that are fairly strong all-around; Heroes can also use axes.
Knight (Armor Knight) > General: Lance-users clad in heavy armor that gives them exceptional defense, but they're very weak to magic; Generals can also use axes.
Thief > Assassin: Fragile, speedy sword-users that can steal items from enemies and unlock doors/chests without a key, but don't do much damage; however, Assassins can occasionally kill an enemy in a single hit.
Pirate > Berserker: Powerful axe-users kinda similar to Fighters, but they can cross water as well; Berserkers have an increased Critical chance (and can cross mountains).
Cavalier > Paladin: Units on horseback that can use swords or lances and have decent all-around stats; Paladins can also use Axes.
Nomad > Nomad Trooper: Horse-mounted bow-users; Nomad Troopers can also use swords (I think they're similar stat-wise to Cavaliers, but I'm not sure).
Pegasus Knight > Falcon Knight/Falcoknight: Lance-users riding flying horses that can fly over any terrain and have good resistance to magic, but are extremely weak against bows; Falcoknights can also use swords.
Wyvern Rider > Wyvern Lord: Lance-users (though later games use axes instead) riding dragons (that can also fly, of course) that are very powerful, but are also weak to bows and magic; Wyvern Lords can also use swords (or lances if they started with axes instead).
(There are also the enemy-only units Soldier (lances, nothing too special) and Bandit (axes, usually have terrible accuracy))

Magic-users on the whole are fragile and weak against normal weapons, but have good magic resistance:
Monk / Cleric > Bishop: Monks use light magic and Clerics use staffs for healing; Bishops can use both.
Troubadour > Valkyrie: Horse-mounted healers; Valkyries can also use anima magic.
Mage > Sage: Anima magic users; Sages gain the use of staffs.
Shaman > Druid: Dark magic users; Druids gain the use of staffs.

Dancer / Bard: Cannot fight whatsoever, but can expend their turn to allow a unit that has already moved to move again on that turn. I think Bards can also give allies temporary stat buffs, but I didn't play FE games before Sacred Stones (which didn't have Bards). Don't promote.

I believe the other two GBA games also had a Manakete/Mamkute(?), which use a Dragonstone to turn into an incredibly powerful dragon in battle, but once the Dragonstone runs out of uses, that's it. Don't know if Blazing Sword has that coding in there though.

The main hero of the game is typically in the Lord class (generally good all around and usually using swords, but not always), but not necessarily all the time (Ike from Path of Radiance starts as a 'Ranger' before later promoting to Lord), and they promote at a specific point in the story rather than the standard method (see below). Not sure what our protagonist ought to be, besides being in their own unique class.
PROMOTION
A base unit that has reached level 10 or higher (20 is max level) can promote through the use of a special item, which sets them to level 1 in the promoted class and gives them a snazzy stat boost; however, in the long run it's better to try and get them to 20 before promoting so they have that many more levels/stat increases to be as strong as possible. Characters that join already in a promoted class obviously have the advantage of starting stronger, but might not be as strong as units that started in a base class and have had time to train and level up first.

An important thing is trying to get at least one character to cover every single available class (which hopefully shouldn't be an issue; might have to have some people change classes if there's imbalance, though multiple being in the same class are perfectly fine, of course).
I can totally agree on modifying classes to be more 'interesting/quirky' names if it fits the game; as long as it's not terribly confusing/alienating, of course. I'm assuming that custom classes are possible as well?, so they don't necessarily have to fall into the archetypes listed above. Maybe cat-llamas as a replacement for horses...?
If I'm in this, I think I have to be a horseback unit because ponies.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Pretty weird that a monk uses magic. I thought they use the traditional fistcuff style :S.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Myrmidon > Swordmaster: Katana guy, Swordmaster
Pegasus Knight > Falcon Knight: Pegasusknight(alternate brony path) > Ascended Pegasus

Monk / Cleric > Bishop:
Patcholite / Healer > Priest

Cosair:
Rabid Furry
Archsage
Dark Druid
Bramimond
Fire Dragon
Prince
Soldier
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

I think it would be hilarious if we have at least one class with the name "SMBXer".
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Well one question is if we're going to leave classes with their traditional weapons, etc., or if we're going to do mix and match and stuff.
swirlybomb wrote:
If I'm in this, I think I have to be a horseback unit because ponies.
Uhh... this. =P
(Pegasus Kinigit pls)

Anyway, so does anyone yet have a simple template planned out for initial character signup and all that jazz?
Last edited by TheFinalSentinel 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

TheFinalSentinel wrote:Well one question is if we're going to leave classes with their traditional weapons or if we're going to do mix and match and stuff.
I think that the project would benefit more if we change up the classes. Even most FE fans wouldn't care to much if a hacked strayed form cannon, and the talkhaus is all about changing things up. I think we can go more liberal with classes, creating stuff that would be easy to create.

If the class editor is anything like pokemon editors, then making the classes would take less than an hour after we decide what we want to do. It's unlikely that we can just create new class out of the blue due to the classes having to point some graphics, but there are plenty to choose from.

In my list I avoided listing the lords because I don't know how they will function in the game, but I'm guess there are six lord classes. Here's what my poor understanding of the game tells me.

Lords: Female Player > Female Player2.0, Male Player, Male Player 2.0, Horikawa(is tutorial girl from original a lord?), and a free class

We might also throw out more redundant classes(mercenary too much like fighter) for custom classes. I think we can point to different upgrades as well.

And we also have a bunch of classes the are unique or even unused. I'm sure the creation of new classes would be a hassle. Worst case is we have to modify what is there.

There's plenty of room for a few unique NPCs. For example, I could have mouse ears but be functional identical to another class. Roacow would definitely have his own graphics.

I think my own stats and play style would have to make it so I'm likely to be killed given the story.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Myrmidon > Swordmaster: Katana guy, Swordmaster

Monk / Cleric > Bishop:
Patcholite / Healer > Priest

Cosair:
Rabid Furry
Archsage
Dark Druid
Bramimond
Fire Dragon
Prince
Soldier
Brilliant
Septentrion wrote:Horikawa(is tutorial girl from original a lord?)
Yes. And when you get her back in the original she technically is a "different" lord.
Septentrion wrote:We might also throw out more redundant classes(mercenary too much like fighter) for custom classes.
Agreed.
Septentrion wrote:There's plenty of room for a few unique NPCs. For example, I could have mouse ears but be functional identical to another class. Roacow would definitely have his own graphics.
Definitely. If it isn't too hard to do, maybe every main Revolution/boss guy could have a little something different other than a palette swap.
Septentrion wrote:I think my own stats and play style would have to make it so I'm likely to be killed giving the story.
So you're gonna be like every character that isn't a knight or a Paladin?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Clemasterable wrote:So you're gonna be like every character that isn't a knight or a Paladin?
I'm not sure about fire emblem, but squishy wizards often stay away from action.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

If we're gonna use the pony joke then the various horse riding classes should be changed to just be ponies.

Not pony riders. Just ponies. The ground ones are Earth ponies. The pegasi are Pegasi ponies (with spears, like in the show). The healers should be Unicorn ponies. If there are any flying magic users then those are Alicorns.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:If we're gonna use the pony joke then the various horse riding classes should be changed to just be ponies.
No?
TheFinalSentinel

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:If we're gonna use the pony joke then the various horse riding classes should be changed to just be ponies.

Not pony riders. Just ponies. The ground ones are Earth ponies. The pegasi are Pegasi ponies (with spears, like in the show). The healers should be Unicorn ponies. If there are any flying magic users then those are Alicorns.
Image: Well considering this is based around the Talkhaus... I'mma have to say "neigh" to that.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Change all horses/Pegasus to Cat-Llamas ok?
if possible, maybe make someone ride a colorful Pink pony but nothing further than that if possible(please, keep the brony stuff subtle for as much of the game as possible and maybe have 1 level that makes it stupidly blantant as a joke)
Image Image
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

SOMETHING I FORGOT in my previous list was that Archers/Snipers can use Ballistaes on certain maps, which are... I dunno, medieval contraptions that fire huge bolts at a great distance (they probably have other names in real life too).
Additionally, I didn't cover Movement in regards to classes; mounted units (that is, horse/pegasus/wyvern) have higher mobility than on-foot classes, and if they don't attack on their turn, they can move, perform an action, and then use up the leftover movement to move again. Thieves also have high mobility, and Knights have low mobility (being heavy and slow, of course).

FluffiMasta wrote:Pretty weird that a monk uses magic. I thought they use the traditional fistcuff style :S.
The difference between the stylings of 'shaolin monk' and 'religious monk', I suppose.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Shaman > Druid: Hacker > ASMer
Possibly my favorite of that list for some reason!
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Dancer: Catplanet(1-hit guys who are numerous)
Kinda confused since that doesn't really line up, and the latter really doesn't exist in Fire Emblem (at least, not terribly often); unless you're trying to be efficient and swap one kinda-duplicate class for something new.
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:In my list I avoided listing the lords because I don't know how they will function in the game, but I'm guess there are six lord classes. Here's what my poor understanding of the game tells me.

Lords: Female Player > Female Player2.0, Male Player, Male Player 2.0, Horikawa(is tutorial girl from original a lord?), and a free class
In Blazing Sword, there's Lyn (Lord(swords) > Blade Lord(+bows) ), Eliwood (Lord(swords) > Knight Lord(+lances and horse) ), and Hector (Lord(axes) > Great Lord(+swords) ). All of which are unique classes, so if we can edit/replace classes, that does give us some options.
For what it's worth, I feel like Horikawa would fit as a Swordmaster.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Also either the Archmage or the Dark Druid should be Demo.
Since Demo (or rather, DEMO) seems to be more of a 'demon monster thing', I would anticipate her being her own unique 'class', which most endgame bosses tend to be (I didn't list them in my list because the player can't be them). In case anyone wants to know that.

KEEP IN MIND that every class/weapon change we make, completely new resources have to be done from scratch (or edited, but you get the idea); the more changes, the more work has to be done (and that's kind of a LOT).
Horikawa Otane wrote:Do we have a spriter yet?

In particular one that can sprite to FE's visual style?
This is the primary concern, of course. There's map animations, battle animations, and portraits for every character to be done at some point (or just the latter if the classes/weapons end up staying the same, but still).

And I also think that cat-llamas are a good horse replacement.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
TheFinalSentinel

Mabel wrote:Change all horses/Pegasus to Cat-Llamas ok?
if possible, maybe make someone ride a colorful Pink pony but nothing further than that if possible(please, keep the brony stuff subtle for as much of the game as possible and maybe have 1 level that makes it stupidly blantant as a joke)
Indeed. I like brony stuff as much as the next guy, but... okay, very ambiguous statement there, me.
I digress, that's probably the best idea. Completely relevant to the Talkhaus, whereas FiM would be tenuous at best on a superficial level, and that's stretching it... highly.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:
Mabel wrote:Change all horses/Pegasus to Cat-Llamas ok?
Indeed. I like brony stuff as much as the next guy, but... okay, very ambiguous statement there, me.
I digress, that's probably the best idea. Completely relevant to the Talkhaus, whereas FiM would be tenuous at best on a superficial level, and that's stretching it... highly.
I don't want to sound rude, but...

If we do too much FiM stuff, there won't be as many players as without it. Why?

Because there are many anti-bronies out there, and they are the greatest racists I have ever met.

And basically, I think the cat-llama idea is a bit better than ponies.

But opinions.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

FluffiMasta wrote:Because there are many anti-bronies out there, and they are the greatest racists I have ever met.
Bronies are a race now?
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
FluffiMasta wrote:Because there are many anti-bronies out there, and they are the greatest racists I have ever met.
Bronies are a race now?
Yeah didn't you get the memo?
Kil

Post by Kil »

Ya'll should put me in the game as an evil old man who doesn't think the hack will ever be finished

Also you shouldn't put too much pony stuff in the game or it'll turn to shit real fast
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
TheFinalSentinel

Clemasterable wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:
Bronies are a race now?
Yeah didn't you get the memo?
Seriously, get with the times Doctor Shemp. Stop living in 1998. Image
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Well, my idea is that bronies would be normal people on horses until they get a promotion. That may or may not be too much. There should be other mounted units completely unrelated to ponies though.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

I think the whole poines thing, if included at all, should be minor. This isn't an MLP site and 99% of the people on here aren't part of that fandom. Something from Touhou or Mario'd make sense, but ponies are a tad "Love or Hate", and too many people are on the hate spectrum, so if they are included, it should be very minimal.
ImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I think that the annoying recurring gaiden boss should be a pony rider. But no one else.
I concur with this suggestion.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)