(shouting)

Planning/Plot Thread

Revolution, the only solution, the armed response of an entire nation.

This is an RPG.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Re: Planning/Plot Thread

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Ahahaha!
The party decides to go back to Talkhausbourg, comcluding that finding Horikawa is way too hard.
I continue to love the script for this game.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Yikes. Over twenty chapters? I thought you guys were settling for just ten. This is gonna be trickier than I thought.
PKBeloved
Don't ask about the space plants

Post by PKBeloved »

OMG This is amazing! If you guys need artist I am available.

Concept art, 2D Art, I'm not sure how much i can offer sprite wise, it depends on the engine.
I'm gonna have to switch computers, as this one is not letting me open the script :\
Good lord I said some stupid stuff here when I was younger
Image Ver.2.1 now with a balanced fighting system, that lost of fun to play to be honest. You'll notice when playing that Demo has more HP and Strange, as where Iris has more PP and defense, she also grows just a bit faster, but her states grow slower. Also, furba sprites has been finished!
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

markyjoe1990 wrote:Yikes. Over twenty chapters? I thought you guys were settling for just ten. This is gonna be trickier than I thought.
I just added more combat so we don't have 20 minutes of cutscenes and dialogue in between battles, which is one of the two things I hated about FE7.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Clemasterable wrote:I just added more combat so we don't have 20 minutes of cutscenes and dialogue in between battles, which is one of the two things I hated about FE7.
I understand the concern, but 20+ chapters is a lot. Only one hack in the community so far has actually managed a campaign of that length, and it's made by a group of people who are huge fans of the Fire Emblem series. You're setting the same demands on a community whose common ground is raocow and mario hacks. It's simply not realistic.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

markyjoe1990 wrote:
Clemasterable wrote:I just added more combat so we don't have 20 minutes of cutscenes and dialogue in between battles, which is one of the two things I hated about FE7.
I understand the concern, but 20+ chapters is a lot. Only one hack in the community so far has actually managed a campaign of that length, and it's made by a group of people who are huge fans of the Fire Emblem series. You're setting the same demands on a community whose common ground is raocow and mario hacks. It's simply not realistic.
Is that due to event scripting or just map making? Or both?! Nah, can't be both couldn't it? It's both isn't it?
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Clemasterable wrote:Is that due to event scripting or just map making? Or both?! Nah, can't be both couldn't it? It's both isn't it?
Making maps are easy, even when you're very concerned about level design. It's the events that are the main concern. I've said before that eventing is the most difficult thing to do for this project.

The most difficult part about eventing AFTER you get past the learning curve is enemy placement and the cutscenes.

Fire Emblem's level design weighs VERY heavily on both map design and enemy placement, and it requires a lot of thought and skill to make enemies a meaningful challenge to overcome. Obviously you want to aim for good level design, and unlike the mario community, no one has really set down guidelines on how to properly design an FE level. The most that's existed as far as I'm concerned is what I've said in my unfinished text document, my youtube videos, and that topic I made a while back that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Cutscenes are the most difficult part about eventing however, because you need to script every action that happens. To give you an idea... here's how much cutscene code I made for the first chapter of my own fire emblem hack, Fire Mumblem. Take note, a lot of this references and calls for other pieces of event code, such as loading up units, fight scenes, etc.:

Code: Select all

PRL_Opening_event:
//Starting cutscene
ASMC 0xD802A1
ASMC 0xD80041
ASMC 0xD80141
HIDEMAP
LOMA 0x30 [0,0]
ASMC 0x7A939 0x7A9D5
FADUCG 2
SHOWMAP

//DEBUG
TEXTCG 0x87B 0x01
	IFYN 0x03
		JUMP PRL_GotoDaLevels
	ENIF 0x03
//END OF DEBUG

TEXTCG 0x83F 0x1
FADICG 0
HIDEMAP
SHCG 0x0B
MUS1 0x37
FADUCG 2
SHOWMAP
STAL 60
TEXTCG 0x840 0x1
CGSTAL 16
FADI 4
HIDEMAP
ASMC 0x7A95D
STAL 32
BACG 0x16
FADU 4
SHOWMAP
TEX1 0x841
	CMOF
LOU1 PRL_MarkyTact
ENUN
	CMON
REMA
ScrollText(0x842)
	IFYN 0x01
		FADI 10
		BACG 0x16
		FADU 10
		TEX1 0x843
	ELSE 0x02
	ENIF 0x01
		FADI 10
		BACG 0x16
		FADU 10
		TEX1 0x844
	ENIF 0x02
MORETEXT 0x845
REMA
MOVE MarkyJoe [8,3]
ENUN
MOVE Tactician [7,2]
ENUN
MOVE MarkyJoe [8,2]
ENUN
MUEN 0x04
SOUN 0x02EC
FAWI 0x03
DISA Markyjoe
DISA Tactician
DISA SgtSmilies
DISA Overlord
DISA Ephraim225
LOMA 0x00 [0,6]
LOU1 PRL_Cutscene1; ENUN
STAL 10
BACG 0x5B
FAWU 0x03
STAL 40
REMA
CURF Jonsin
TEX1 0x854; REMA //Jonsin "Here I come!"
MOVE Feltyn [7,5]
MOVE Jonsin [8,5]
ENUN
FIGH Jonsin Feltyn PRL_Fight1 ScriptedBattle
ASMC 0xD80241
MUS1 0x004F
TEX1 0x855; REMA //"Dodging pal. It exists"
MOVE Jonsin [9,5]; ENUN
TEX1 0x856; REMA //"C'mere, Jonsin"
CMOF
MOVE Jonsin PRL_JonsinStupid ;ENUN
MOVE Jonsin PRL_JonsinStupid
TEX1 0x857; REMA //"Not what I had in mind"
ENUN
ASMC 0xD80241
CURF Poalski
TEX1 0x858; REMA //Poalski complains
MOVE Shigeid [6,6] ;ENUN
CURF Shigeid
TEX1 0x859; REMA //Shigeid asks about Lussaria
MOVE Shigeid [6,7]
MOVE Feltyn [5,7] ;ENUN
MOVE Poalski [5,5] ;ENUN
TEX1 0x85A; REMA //Poalski takes over
MOVE Poalski [6,5] ;ENUN
MOVE Jonsin [7,5] ;ENUN
TEX1 0x85B //"Lemme tell you about Lucy"
REMA
MUEN 0x01
TEX1 0x85C //"That voice... She's here!"
REMA
CAM1 [0,15]
CURF Lussaria
TEX1 0x85D //"Dark magic"
REMA
MUS1 0x33
MOVE Lussaria [4,14]; MOVE Feltyn PRL_Clumsy; ENUN
SOUN 0x00D2
MOVE Kinsan PRL_Clumsy2 ; MOVE Feltyn PRL_Clumsy2; ENUN
TEX1 0x85E //"That would be Kinsan"
REMA
MOVE Kinsan PRL_Clumsy2; ENUN
TEX1 0x85F //"Lemme introduce you to the others"
REMA
REPOS Poalski [5,3]
REPOS Jonsin [8,3] 
REPOS Shigeid [6,3]
REPOS Marina [7,3]
CAM1 [0,6]
MOVE Feltyn [8,6]
MOVE Lussaria [7,6]
MOVE Sorlene [5,6]
MOVE Kinsan [6,6] ; ENUN
CURF Lussaria
TEX1 0x860
REMA
MUEN 0x04
SOUN 0x02EC
FAWI 0x03
LOMA 0x30 [0,0]
DISA Lussaria
DISA Feltyn
DISA Poalski
DISA Jonsin
DISA Shigeid
DISA Sorlene
DISA Kinsan
DISA Marina
LOU1 PRL_MarkyTact2
FAWU 0x03
CURF MarkyJoe
MUS1 0x57
FADI 0x10
BACG 0x16
FADU 0x10
TEX1 0x861
REMA
WARP [7,4] 1
STAL 30
LOU1 PRL_TheSpiritCannon; ENUN
TEX1 0x862
STAL 60
MORETEXT 0x8D1
STAL 60
MORETEXT 0x8D2
REMA
MOVE Tactician PRL_TactCannon; ENUN
DISA Tactician
WARP [5,3] 0
STAL 30
DISA Ephraim225
STAL 30
MUEN 0x04
STAL 30
SOUN 0x02EC
FAWI 0x03
DISA Markyjoe
DISA Tactician
DISA SgtSmilies
DISA Overlord
DISA Crook
LOMA 0x00 [0,15]
LOU1 PRL_MoreCutscene; ENUN
FAWU 0x03
WarpIn(PRL_Cutscene4,11,18)

//Back to Lussaria
CURF Ephraim225
TEX1 0x863; REMA //Time to screw shit up
MUS1 0x64
CAM1 [0,6]
MOVE Ephraim225 [8,9]; ENUN
TEX1 0x864 //"What's your business here?"
MUEN 0x01
MORETEXT 0x865; REMA //"Orders from my master: you must die"
MOVE Ephraim225 [8,10]; ENUN
CAM1 [0,12]
STAL 80
FAWI 0x10
SOUN 0xB4; STAL 3
MUS1 0x0032
LOU1 PRL_Bad; ENUN //Teleport in Crooks
FAWU 0x10
CAM1 [0,6]
MOVE Lussaria PRL_Noticer
MOVE Sorlene PRL_Noticer
MOVE Jonsin PRL_Noticer
MOVE Marina PRL_Noticer
MOVE Shigeid PRL_Noticer
MOVE Poalski PRL_Noticer
MOVE Kinsan PRL_Noticer
MOVE Feltyn PRL_Noticer; STAL 60
TEX1 0x866; REMA //"Long convo. Assume formation"
MOVE Feltyn [8,7]
MOVE Lussaria PRL_LucyFelt; ENUN
MOVE Ephraim225 [11,18]
TEX1 0x08D7
REMA

//POSITIONING
CAM1 [0,5]
MOVE Sorlene [5,2]
MOVE Feltyn [6,2]
MOVE Jonsin [9,2]
MOVE Kinsan [10,2]
MOVE Marina PRL_MarinaMove
MOVE Poalski PRL_PoalskiMove
MOVE Lussaria [8,3]
MOVE Shigeid [9,4]
MOVE [7,9] [7,6]
ENUN
MUEN 0x04
SOUN 0x02EC
FAWI 0x03
UnitClear
LOMA 0x30 [0,0]
LOU1 PRL_MarkyTactFinal
ENUN
FAWU 0x03
CURF MarkyJoe
FADI 0x3
SHCG 0x0E
FADU 0x3
TEXTCG 0x08D8
STAL 60
REMA
STAL 60
SOUN 0x00D2
LOU1 PRL_TactShot
MOVE Tactician PRL_Shotted; ENUN
DISA Tactician
SOUN 0x02EC
FAWI 0x03
UnitClear
LOMA 0x00 [0,5]
LOU1 PRL_Cutscene6
LOU1 PRL_Bad2
LOU1 PRL_Cutscene4
ENUN
FAWU 0x03
LOU1 PRL_TactinLucy; ENUN
MOVE Tactician PRL_Shotted; ENUN
DISA Tactician
CMON
MUS1 0x0033
ScrollText(0x868)
ScrollText(0x869)
ENUT 0x01
ENUT 0x06
ENDA
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'm reminded of back when I was in a class that had us learn assembly language... and I cringed.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Ok, I get it. So what do you suggest we do?
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Clemasterable wrote:Ok, I get it. So what do you suggest we do?
I believe one of the reasons why a lot of hacks fail is because the person behind them becomes way too ambitious for their own good. In this case, let's keep our ambitions small and reasonable. Finishing the hack is extremely important. We can add stuff and expand upon it AFTER we finish it, since at least we'll have a strong foundation to work with, and even if we don't succeed in realizing the hack into it's 20+ chapter evolution, we can at least say we finished a 10+ chapter fire emblem hack.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

markyjoe1990 wrote:
Clemasterable wrote:Ok, I get it. So what do you suggest we do?
I believe one of the reasons why a lot of hacks fail is because the person behind them becomes way too ambitious for their own good. In this case, let's keep our ambitions small and reasonable. Finishing the hack is extremely important. We can add stuff and expand upon it AFTER we finish it, since at least we'll have a strong foundation to work with, and even if we don't succeed in realizing the hack into it's 20+ chapter evolution, we can at least say we finished a 10+ chapter fire emblem hack.
Deal.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Maybe if the hack's finished, we could add some bonus chapters in a 2nd version.

Or maybe we could add some chapters after the main storyline.

What do you think?
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Perhaps cut it down to what's needed; strip the story to the bare-bones essentials and after that's done, then add the meat. This way we'll at least more likely to have a cohesive product even if it's not quote-unquote finished.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Finished reading the story draft. Here I was thinking that "Tyrants" meant the Talking Tyrants. (hint hint) This looks like it might be a cool game when you're done with it, although I question NC showing up so much. (Who's NC again?)

I don't know a damn thing about Fire Emblem except for how to play it. So if you guys need someone to beta test, I suppose that makes me a good candidate, as I'm like an experienced player, but not enough to actually know what I'm doing?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I have a semi-idea. If the problem is too many chapters, why not split it in half and do two parts?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

Okay, I've actually read the full story summary in the OP as well as this whole thread. I'm excited to see something like a Fire Emblem game become a possibility. I love super-esoteric things like when community members get involved.

I basically agree with a lot of points that don't need mentioning again. But I will say that in the interest of getting the game actually for-real made. I think a lot of the planning that is done should be on the story and plot before the levels themselves. Because you can change a plot, or storyline, but levels and code take time and effort. I know enough about programming to realize what a hassle it is when you have to redo god-knows how many code lines.

So one caveat I would recommend is worrying about sprites and spritework LAST. I don't know if its a must-have early on in development. But I don't see why you couldn't just use dummy sprites or portraits for the purposes of testing and then implant the graphics later once everything's' done. There's no point worrying about sprites or custom classes when the basic plan isn't in the final stages.

I also read the plot. And....not to be rude but it just all sort of happens with little fanfare. I mean there wasn't really a lot of...intrigue. If you do want to make a romhack like this, even an unambitous one, I think its only natural to try and put some more effort into it due to how much work it will be to make the game itself. It should be something everyone's on the same page with and enjoys because that ought to be a prime motivator for seeing the game done: Because of whatever cool thing it will be about.

My creative juices are flowing so if you guys don't mind, I want to write up a storyline draft. I don't know much about Talkhaus in-jokes but I think I've got a neat idea that I just have to work out on paper, if only for my own amusement. I might even be able to come up with some chapter outlines, and possibly ideas for individual stages. Might take me a day or two though, But I've got the time!

EDIT: I'm serious. I'm writing this thing. Clemasterable, could you maybe link me those threads in the OP so I know what they're about? Or have they been deleted?
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Isrieri wrote:(Who's NC again?)
'Natural Causes', Limepie's(?) hit team. Don't feel bad for not getting it right away though, I had a touch of trouble figuring it out until I realized that you kind of need to be reading both plot documents at the same time. Or something.

For what it's worth, I had already started attempting to streamline the plot myself (because honestly I think it's a bit too confusing as-is, and the chapters list in the second document includes a lot of unnecessary padding); although I'm definitely not a writer, and it was mostly just rearranging what's already there kinda. Some parts of it were a bit more of a 'stream of consciousness thing'. But maybe it'll help give you a starting point, Isieri?

TALKHAUS REVOLUTION STORY/CHAPTERS
PROLOGUE
Blazing Sword ripoff homage ahoy!
Protagonist wakes up in a field and is found by Horikawa, who then brings Protag back to Talkhausbourg; this is the basic tutorial level. Horikawa explains movement/combat mechanics and so forth.
Goal: Arrive at Talkhausbourg
--Tutorials: Movement/attacking, items, possibly weapon triangle; would including terrain be too much? The map could possibly be somewhat large and split into several 'areas' where each element is explained in turn as it becomes relevant.

Interlude events: Protag reaches Talkhausbourg and learns about the town, raocow (and Teeheless and Thissa?), etc. from Horikawa (and/or others?) and meets several Hausers (of varying classes) that quickly become 'friends'. A small amount of money is available to buy some extra E-rank weapons and items if desired. (I think ideally, there should be shopping time available between most chapters)

CHAPTER 1: two options
--The First (Dungeon Ahoy!): The Hausers that Protag met invite him/her to accompany them to a dungeon-cave in hopes of finding some sweet loot, although some other bandits(/monsters?) show up to try and take it instead. Clearly bloodshed is the best solution here! Chests are seen on the map containing some items.
Goal: Rout enemy (ie. kill all enemies) OR Defeat boss and/or Seize the entrance to the chamber of sweet loot (by killing the boss)?

Interlude events: The party does, in fact, find the sweet loot (a fairly large amount of money and possibly some items) and head back to Talkhausbourg. The next day, Protag and the Hausers are asked by raocow to go on a mission to Smebex and investigate a haunted mansion.

--The Second (Smebex, Here We Come!): Protag and some of the Hausers are asked by raocow to go on a mission to Smebex and investigate a haunted mansion, with the promise of a large reward for doing so. This map takes place on the road to Smebex... the party gets accosted by a gang of bandits, perhaps?
Goal: Rout enemy

Interlude events: The party reaches Smebex and talks to whoever requested the mansion investigation mission to get more information, possibly being told about a vengeful spirit named Blake The S haunting the place.

--Tutorials (either way): Weapon triangle (if not covered in the Prologue), how different classes work, how chests/keys work (in the first option), possibly terrain (in the second option, if not covered in the Prologue).

CHAPTER 2 (Don't Feed The Ghosts)
--coming from Dungeon Ahoy!: The party travels to Smebex (the actual traveling is skipped over because it's only a short way) and talks to whoever requested the mansion investigation mission to get more information, possibly being told about a vengeful spirit named Blake The S haunting the place.

(regardless) The party enters the spooky mansion and gets assaulted by spooky scary skeletons scary ghosts, oh noes! Blake The S is the boss awaiting them at the other edge of the map.
Goal: Defeat boss
--Tutorials: Fog of war/mist (hopefully a Thief is in the party at this point, perhaps met within Smebex if need be); possibly have chests on the map if that tutorial wasn't covered in Dungeon Ahoy!

Interlude events: After being 'killed', Blake The S 'comes to his senses'(?) and speaks with the party, informing them that it was raocow who imprisioned him there and that he is not what he seems to be, before departing. Protag is confused (he seems like such a jolly fellow, after all!) but doesn't totally write him off. On the way back to Talkhausbourg, the Revolutionnaires in the party decide that it's a good time to inform Protag all about the Revolutionnaires (those that don't trust raocow/etc), showing him/her their secret base and explaining their suspicions about raocow and his admins (or whatever they are); Protag is definitely surprised, but is willing to believe them (or at least keep an eye out for suspicious behavior) and keep their secret safe. Afterward, the party arrives back at Talkhausbourg and is thanked by raocow, and he rewards them with a hefty amount of money (or if coming from Dungeon Ahoy!, a smaller amount).
--Alternatively, the Revolutionnaires could wait until after they get the reward to explain everything to Protag; might be better for pacing?

CHAPTER 3 (Underground Operations)
While Protag and the Revolutionnaires (after a small time skip, one/several day(s)) in their secret base, they suddenly get discovered and attacked by a group calling themselves "Natural Causes" and must fight to keep their secrets safe.
Goal: Rout enemy
--Tutorials: ??? perhaps chests/doors/etc if not already covered?

Interlude events: The Revolutionnaires eliminate all the Natural Causes 'soldiers' that invaded, but perhaps one escaped behind-the-scenes to bring news back to the NC leaders (perhaps the party discusses "did we get all of them?" or whatever).

CHAPTER 3x (Out Of Cucumbers)
copypasta because I have zero idea for story:
"This chapter can be unlocked by knocking at the cucumber-fellating room's door.

You go to the nearest woods and try to find some cucumbers.
Introduction of Pholtos, the optional chapters' boss.

Goal:
Get all the cucumbers and
Defeat boss
Unlocks:
Alex as a playable character"

CHAPTER 4 (D.E.M.O.)
At night (on a different day again?), Talkhausbourg gets attacked by Natural Causes, backed by a powerful demonic creature referred to as "D.E.M.O." A lot of Hausers are no good in combat though, and need protection (though this would be a good opportunity to have a couple join the party).
Goal: Rout enemy OR Survive X turns
Secondary goal: Protect Hausers (this could either be a not-required-for-victory goal and possibly offer better rewards based on how many Hausers/buildings are intact by the end, or be required and have you lose if any die... the latter is more difficult, of course)
--If DEMO is actually present on the map, attempting to fight her should basically be suicide. She could perhaps be present for a couple turns and then leave in order to set up the following events.

Interlude events: After driving off NC and ensuring the safety of Talkhausbourg, the crowd finds raocow fighting DEMO solo, and he soundly thrashes her (demonstrating his power). All of the Hausers cheer and celebrate with a big ol' party, but during the night, one of the Revolutionnaires beckons Protag/possibly a couple of the others to follow them to see where raocow is talking and laughing with DEMO, which is obviously hyper-suspicious. However, before the entire group can meet again, Horikawa gets kidnapped (another Hauser/Revolutionnaire tells them that it looked like one of the NC people), and the group agrees that she needs to be rescued before trying to proceed.
CHAPTER 5...

That's as far as I got! Quick outline for the next bit:
-The Search For Horikawa: pursuing/fighting NC hoping to find Horikawa (NC leader boss?)
-Tyrants: fighting Septentrion and Bwarch, who aren't part of NC, but are at the end of the party's trail- however, Horikawa's still nowhere to be found and they have to give up and go back to Talkhausbourg (Septentrion is possibly recruitable)
---Could these two be combined into a single chapter to speed up the pace?

-(We're On A Boat!)?: traveling to Esmedobelyu (Smuu for short?) on the Yacht Of Opinions to get supplies for raocow's new house (the old one got wrecked while the group was searching for Horikawa); there's a sea/ship battle with pirates maybe? perhaps this should be changed
-Talent Show: NC crashes the Talent Show and Drift attempts to assassinate raocow during his performance (deliberately missing because it's all an act to get raocow's new place done quicker)

At the very least, I managed to snip 11 chapters down to 7-8.

Other important events (according to the existing plot documents)
-investigating raocow's new place, finding him in league with NC and learning that all of his 'assistants' are in on everything too; he's also opening a Hell portal of some fashion
-war with Esmedobelyu, with boss Ezenen? or perhaps Esmedobelyu comes to the rescue instead; and/or first there's a war and then they're forced to team up against raocow?
-finding Horikawa, but she's turned traitor, is brainwashed or hypnotized, or was really a villain all along; is it possible for her to be 'saved' and re-recruited as an endgame character?
-eliminating NC (Brake, Drift (both from ATXS), and Aricelle (from Aricelle: By Her Wandering Blade))
-fighting the admins (Limepie, Jesuis, Rena; later Teeheless and Thissa)
-fighting DEMO
-fighting raocow
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I want to be guy introduced as a bad guy, but then revealed to be a double agent, then betray the good guys, only to betray the bad guy in a grand scheme

Scrub, rinse, and repeat.
Septentrion joining the party comes up in Tyrants and then betraying them comes up in Tyrants Strike Back!, but then there's no mention of him re-joining the party afterwards.

I think it breaks the flow to have the party investigate raocow's new house, then go to war with Esmedobelyu, then go back into the house for the endgame. Probably makes sense for DEMO to be the penultimate boss before raocow (instead of being fought, then dealing with all the admins before raocow)? The 'final chapter' doesn't need to be so grandiose and multi-parted to fight every single boss, the bosses should be split up into previous chapters as well. The admins and NC leaders need to be introduced early on as well (even if just in bad-guy-only cutscenes). And so on.
This is just all the stuff I thought of!

Possible antagonist classes, based on the classes not being changed from the default ones, and based on what little I know about the characters/people:
Horikawa- Swordmaster?/Lord variant (for some reason Swordmaster just seems 'right' to me, though Lord could make for a good bait-and-switch with her switching sides later on)
Pholtos- ??
Septentrion- Mage/Sage (his affinity for Touhous seems appropriate for being magical; could be a possible early pre-promote party member if a Sage, or just a Mage to stay balanced with the rest of the party)
Bwarch- Paladin/Falcoknight (pony rider)
Brake- Bishop
Drift- Sniper/Nomad Trooper (Sniper seems more directly appropriate to his 'character', but leaves him hilariously vulnerable to being fought directly (because he can't fight back) unless the map is somehow designed to specifically prevent that; Nomad Trooper allows him to switch to a sword for up-close fighting)
Aricelle- ?? (Swordmaster...? But don't want her to be a Horikawa duplicate)
Ezenen- Druid? (if Shaman > Druid is going to be Hacker > ASMer, this seems super-appropriate)
Limepie- ??
Jesuis- ??
Rena- Valkyrie (head of the Church of Patchouli)
Thissa- Sage? (being hyper-intelligent seems appropriate for a magical class)
Teeheless- ?? Wyvern Lord? (very intimidating high-level antagonist)

classes totally unaccounted for so far: Hero, General, Warrior, Berserker
Use or don't use, it's up to you guys/Isieri.

EDIT: Also I think raocow should have two forms, not three, because I think three is really pushing it/unnecessary.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

Let it be known that the reason its taking me forever to get this written is because I'm playing through The Sacred Stones for the first time to get ideas. Almost got it beat!

What I've learned is that Fire Emblem plots are boring as hell.

Its also hard to write storylines for people whom you don't know and have their own ideas and personalities. I want to represent them well but its tricky just going by forums. Not sure who's going ot be in the game and who won't. None of this is probably kosher and will need to be entirely re-written/thrown out, but its fun to write anyway.

I'll try to post the ridiculous mess I have by Monday or Tuesday.
markyjoe1990

Post by markyjoe1990 »

Isrieri wrote:What I've learned is that Fire Emblem plots are boring as hell.
Oh come on. I like FE8's plot. It's not exactly unpredictable, but it's pretty coherent, and a fair number of villains are sympathetic or at the very least competent/a threat. Though, a lot of the emotional heart I feel comes when you go down Eirika's Route. >.>'
Isrieri wrote:Its also hard to write storylines for people whom you don't know and have their own ideas and personalities. I want to represent them well but its tricky just going by forums. Not sure who's going ot be in the game and who won't. None of this is probably kosher and will need to be entirely re-written/thrown out, but its fun to write anyway.
A character's personality isn't as important as their motivations and role in the plot. Some personality traits may influence their actions (IE: Arrogant dude takes on a battle he can't win), but you could probably get away with just motivation and role, then decorate their main dialogue with bits of character. You could use non-important conversations to flesh their characters out more.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt

Post by Isrieri »

markyjoe1990 wrote: Oh come on. I like FE8's plot. It's not exactly unpredictable, but it's pretty coherent, and a fair number of villains are sympathetic or at the very least competent/a threat. Though, a lot of the emotional heart I feel comes when you go down Eirika's Route. >.>'
Yeah, you're right. The plot isn't bad, not quite. If it was a movie I'd probably enjoy it. But I still had to fight the urges to keep skipping through all the dialogue and getting to the next mission! I guess its just that the text scrolls so slowly.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Isrieri wrote: What I've learned is that Fire Emblem plots are boring as hell.
You didn't play FE4 did you

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
to be fair theres no translation
Image Image
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Isrieri wrote:Let it be known that the reason its taking me forever to get this written is because I'm playing through The Sacred Stones for the first time to get ideas. Almost got it beat!
I feel like I should applaud you for doing so so quickly (especially if you're new-ish to Fire Emblem?), because I tried twice (three times?) to beat Sacred Stones and couldn't do it :x
Isrieri wrote:I guess its just that the text scrolls so slowly.
You did set it to the fastest speed in the options, right?

Don't worry about getting all the different characters' personalities down right away; figuring out the actual overall plot would be the most important thing right now. And getting the actual major characters (that have been mentioned in the actual plot outlines so far) that actually affect the overall story is ideal, but you don't need to worry about all the other playable characters because no one's really confirmed to be in yet.
...And stuff.
I don't think I explained that very well, but I think you get the idea. Look forward to seeing your draft!!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Mabel wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:
to be fair theres no translation
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/865/

This translation is excellent and 99.9% complete. There might even be a better patch by now but this one is the one I used in 2008 or so