(shouting)

[CLOSED] ⚐ Talkcordhaus 21st Super VGM Guessing Contest Taisen ⚐

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

[CLOSED] ⚐ Talkcordhaus 21st Super VGM Guessing Contest Taisen ⚐

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Get ready to sortie, strategists, because it's time to

That's right, folks, it's time for another talkcordhaus Video Game music guessing contest, hosted by me this time around. It's been a few years since the last time I had hosted one, but I think I've learned from my past run and hopefully recall enough to be hosting this one. All forum and related forum discord members are free to take part in this contest, both new and old. But anywho, without further delay, I'll sum up how this contest works :

The Gist
There'll be a playlist of 60 video game song snippets! I've decided the gimmick this time around is - SRPGs/TRPGs! So there will be 50 vgm songs from varying game genres and 10 vgm songs from strategy/tactical RPG games that I've highlighted myself. If your wondering what specification of SRPG/TRPG I mean, then the best way to describe it are the ones that have a grid/tile based playing field with RPG mechanics or elements mixed in. Please send your guesses through PM/DM to AmeijinMayo on talkhaus and Mayoh on Discord, while for participants from the patapon spotzone can send their DMs to SAJewers who will relay them back to me (thanks again, SAJewers!).

The Scoring
  • 2 points will be awarded if you guess the exact game the song comes from correctly!
  • 1 point will be awarded if you guess the right series the song comes from!
  • Some songs may appear in more than one game, but you'll need to inform me of the exact game the song comes from for the full 2 points.
  • You can gain an additional 1 point if you guess whether or not the song was from a SRPG/TRPG that I've highlighted. You can only guess 10 of the songs, so guess wisely!
  • Your points are doubled for one song if you manage to nail the song's game or series solo(aka you were only one to know)!
  • 5 points to anyone who can identify the intruder song, which doesn't appear in any game at all! I hope you trigger the right flag to recruit this secret character!
The Hints
  • Please feel free to ask for a hint through PM/DM to help in identifying the song.
  • You may ask up to 2 hints, penalty free!
  • -1 point if you ask 3-6 hints
  • -3 points if you ask for 7 hints or more
  • EDIT - The point penalty for hints has been reduced, so breathe easy and feel free to ask for hints
  • Note - asking me for more hints on the same song will still add to the hint counter, so please be weary!
The Deadline
  • The deadline for the contest will be May 25th @ 10 PM MST Extended Deadline - May 27th @ 7 PM MST
  • You're free to swap out guesses for songs before the deadline.
  • But for what you've chosen on what the SRPG/TRPG songs are, those will be set in stone, so choose wisely!
Now with that all out of the way, I bid you good luck on your guesses. I'll leave it to Detective Satori, Kosuzu and Kokoro to do their dance that'll signify the start to this contest!
You may have wanted to pick up the Official Strategy Guide or GameFAQs walkthrough for these upcoming stages
A download for the whole song snippet list zip! EDIT - Dropbox has some major malfunction going on just now for whatever reason, so I've hosted the song snippets in a different place and the zip can be downloaded from google drive
Last edited by AmeijinMayo 1 year ago, edited 9 times in total.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: ⚐ Talkcordhaus 21st Super VGM Guessing Contest Taisen ⚐

Post by HatKid »

Dang this is my chance to score more than 5 points

edit:nevermind
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I shall pierce the heavens.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

ah crap this means i need to actually start prepping for $22.22 the 22th
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago ah crap this means i need to actually start prepping for $22.22 the 22th
I think there'll be some breathing room with a break between a few months after this contest, but good luck with prep if you end up hosting the 22nd VGM guessing contest, raekuul
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the song picks this time around are a lot more lenient than before
i'll have you know that forty songs in i have identified the series of one song (because it's super obvious) and have not positively identified a single song otherwise so

i don't even feel like checking the other 20 until later at this point w/e
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Crow wrote: 1 year agoi'll have you know that forty songs in i have identified the series of one song (because it's super obvious) and have not positively identified a single song otherwise so

i don't even feel like checking the other 20 until later at this point w/e
mhm, I've spoken with other participants and it does turn out that not a lot of the songs are as obvious to listeners at first listen than I had predicted. I'll be adjusting the hint penalty so everyone can breathe easy with the hints.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

That's actually one of the reasons I jumped to claim 22 instead of 21 - I have An Idea inspired by the prose from #20 that makes it less painful that I'm using my own music collection instead of a more reasonable "Everybody's Video Game Collection" collection.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

AmeijinMayo wrote: 1 year ago Now with that all out of the way, I bid you good luck on your guesses. I'll leave it to Detective Satori, Kosuzu and Kokoro to do their dance that'll signify the start to this contest!
Can't listen to the songs or download from dropbox rn. Might be my Firefox messing up on the former, FF and Chrome are really buggy on my end for some reason, but could you look into this? I'll be PMing on Talkhaus, as is tradition of mine so head's up!

I don't think I'll be getting any SRPG songs because while I am an aficionado of the genre, I'm still new to it and I've played mostly lesser known stuff, listed below:
arc the lad 1-3, bahamut lagoon, digimon anode/cathode, shining force 1, summon night 1-3 (mainline, not swordcraft), treasure hunter g, ff tactics, front mission, hoshigami, legend of heroes 4 pc98/psx, ogre battle, power of the hired, rhapsody, super robot wars 1, technically legend of heroes 3 psx*

* - since it has a manual battle mode that plays like loh4 pc98/psx instead of just the rts-styled semi-automatic battles in the pc versions (pc98 and windows), i personally filter it as a "real time rpg" like ff4-9 at that point, maybe computer rpg like fallout and icewind dale despite not needing a mouse necessarily, but rpg genres are a subjective thing i feel.

the american psp version of 3 plays similar to trails, popolocrois and the later gagharv psp games with a position based system that factors more into organizing your specials' range rather than rigid tile based movement with movement rate values, so i consider it more of a microgenre of turn based rpgs than something like rhapsody on psx which is more of a lighter take on strategy rpgs

sorry i put too much thought into this and a lot of it is pretty bullshitty
TSURAI YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO love golden bomber (song in the video this gif is from)

EDIT: pm sent, got like 3 songs
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoCan't listen to the songs or download from dropbox rn. Might be my Firefox messing up on the former, FF and Chrome are really buggy on my end for some reason, but could you look into this? I'll be PMing on Talkhaus, as is tradition of mine so head's up!

I don't think I'll be getting any SRPG songs because while I am an aficionado of the genre, I'm still new to it and I've played mostly lesser known stuff, listed below:
arc the lad 1-3, bahamut lagoon, digimon anode/cathode, shining force 1, summon night 1-3 (mainline, not swordcraft), treasure hunter g, ff tactics, front mission, hoshigami, legend of heroes 4 pc98/psx, ogre battle, power of the hired, rhapsody, super robot wars 1, technically legend of heroes 3 psx*

* - since it has a manual battle mode that plays like loh4 pc98/psx instead of just the rts-styled semi-automatic battles in the pc versions (pc98 and windows), i personally filter it as a "real time rpg" like ff4-9 at that point, maybe computer rpg like fallout and icewind dale despite not needing a mouse necessarily, but rpg genres are a subjective thing i feel.

the american psp version of 3 plays similar to trails, popolocrois and the later gagharv psp games with a position based system that factors more into organizing your specials' range rather than rigid tile based movement with movement rate values, so i consider it more of a microgenre of turn based rpgs than something like rhapsody on psx which is more of a lighter take on strategy rpgs

sorry i put too much thought into this and a lot of it is pretty bullshitty
TSURAI YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO love golden bomber (song in the video this gif is from)

EDIT: pm sent, got like 3 songs
Yup, I don't know why but dropbox crapped the bed literally on the 2nd day of this contest and refuses to even allow edits/changes to share from me the account owner, but I've moved the song snippets elsewhere and they all should be up and running properly again. Yeah, SRPGs and TRPGs are a bit of a niche genre but I've played quite a few over the years and I figure it'd be an okay gimmick to spice up the contest. Maybe next time I'll pick a theme like credit songs or something for the a future vgm contest. If I had any suggestions or advice is maybe peruse through some different vgm OSTs that might be related to the genre or ballpark of snippet, granted that's like looking for a needle in a haystack but that's what I do at times when I'm participating the VGM contests. :catplanet:
Also when looking back on some of the SRPG/TRPG song picks, some of them lean more towards the strategy/tactical element while only have light hints or elements of an RPG, which I didn't notice until after revisting them when building this playlist. Not gonna say this is a hint, just something I noticed while working on this contest
Yeah, I like this song too, the video series from the gif has been a pretty fun watch as of recent. Memeshikute Memeshikute Memeshikute~
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

AmeijinMayo wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, SRPGs and TRPGs are a bit of a niche genre but I've played quite a few over the years and I figure it'd be an okay gimmick to spice up the contest.
Yeah I just mean like. I've played mostly lesser known stuff like Hoshigami or the first Ryo Akiyama Digimon game.

The only Shining Force game I've played is 1, I still need to finish FF Tactics, haven't played Tactics Ogre yet, haven't played FF Tactics Advance in decades (nor did I finish it), haven't played through Brigandine yet, PSX or Switch, haven't gone through any Disgaea game, haven't gone through Phantom Brave or Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle, Devil Survivor, haven't gone through the localized Utawarerumono games yet, Project X Zone, still need to play through Valkyria Chronicles 1-3 to start my Switch copy of 4 (already downloaded), only Fire Emblem game I've played was 1, still need to finish it, am only starting to get into Super Robot Wars... If Front Mission counts as a big SRPG title in the west, I still need to finish 1.

I've also played a bit of Farland Story 1 on PC98 btw, I forgot that one along with Fire Emblem in my "games played" list. Somehow am doing an All the Summon Nights regardless which aren't really that big outside of Japan and will start an All the Black/Matrixs soon though. Anyway. Digimon Survive, can't fucking wait.

The typography in this post is garbage btw
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago That's actually one of the reasons I jumped to claim 22 instead of 21 - I have An Idea inspired by the prose from #20 that makes it less painful that I'm using my own music collection instead of a more reasonable "Everybody's Video Game Collection" collection.
I'll keep note of this and you'll definitely be up next if you join the queue now.

Who has the most?
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Katazuki wrote: 1 year ago
raekuul wrote: 1 year agoThat's actually one of the reasons I jumped to claim 22 instead of 21 - I have An Idea inspired by the prose from #20 that makes it less painful that I'm using my own music collection instead of a more reasonable "Everybody's Video Game Collection" collection.
I'll keep note of this and you'll definitely be up next if you join the queue now.
Wait there's an actual queue? I thought that this was being done like the mafia games were, where you just started one when you were ready.
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago
Katazuki wrote: 1 year ago
raekuul wrote: 1 year agoThat's actually one of the reasons I jumped to claim 22 instead of 21 - I have An Idea inspired by the prose from #20 that makes it less painful that I'm using my own music collection instead of a more reasonable "Everybody's Video Game Collection" collection.
Wait there's an actual queue? I thought that this was being done like the mafia games were, where you just started one when you were ready.
There's gotta be some time in-between each contest, otherwise I'm pretty sure participants would be burned out at some point. 3-5 months is the usual wait time. And I say 'queue' but really right now it only consists of one person who also has already hosted a contest prior. I always give priority to whoever hasn't hosted a VGM contest yet, so you'd be ahead of them.

Who has the most?
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

for the record, i'd love to get on that contest-running queue. i spend more time than one probably should daydreaming about songs i'd put on the list...

and since i have *checks list* precisely two of these songs named, i'm sure my shallow vgm knowledge would be a great change of pace
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Well I'm gonna have to review all these later to actually figure out answers but wow this one is even harder than the last. I think I might at most have around 4-5 definitives and the rest are a massive shrug. Serves me right for not playing many SRPGs I guess. :V

At the very least, one of them is from a game I have been playing through very recently that is an SRPG so I'm not entirely clueless.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

Reecer7 wrote: 1 year ago for the record, i'd love to get on that contest-running queue. i spend more time than one probably should daydreaming about songs i'd put on the list...

and since i have *checks list* precisely two of these songs named, i'm sure my shallow vgm knowledge would be a great change of pace
For the record, I ran the last one and I currently only have a single song i recognize here
:trans_pride:
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

This is by far the hardest I've seen yet, though I've only participated a couple of times. Like, I ran two ago and with the help of a bajillion hints 100%ed the one before that. But this time I only worked out two on my first pass and while I've found a larger handful by now, I'm starting to get pretty doubtful I'm going to get any more at this point. ^^;
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Ah jeez, I had intended for this time around to be easier since I had picked 30 of the songs from at least somewhat notable series that aren't too niche. I can bump down the penalty limit if that'd help everyone a bit more with deliberating?

Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

Reecer7 wrote: 1 year ago for the record, i'd love to get on that contest-running queue. i spend more time than one probably should daydreaming about songs i'd put on the list...

Sure thing, I'll get you on the queue as well.

Who has the most?
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

If doing a second is allowed when the queue is exhausted I'd love to be on the backup list for that if it ever comes to that, too.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ditto that
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 1 year ago If doing a second is allowed when the queue is exhausted I'd love to be on the backup list for that if it ever comes to that, too.
Repeat hosts are allowed after the point I host another contest which resets the queue. So assuming no one new wants to host when it's my turn, you'll (more than likely) be next following me.

And I got you on too Jewers.

Who has the most?
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

A small reminder post to anyone who's participating/planning to participate in this iteration of the contest that there's 10 days left to submit any guesses. No rush and if needed, I can extend the deadline if that'd help. But for now, it's still slated as May 25th as the stop point for guess submissions. Good luck with the guesses and I hope everyone has a great week
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

After recieveing some additional submissions from folks, I'll be extending the contest deadline to May 27th 7pm MST. I hope that helps add some additional time or last minute hint requests for anyone that needs it.