(shouting)

[RESULTS!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

[RESULTS!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

Post by FourteenthOrder »

~END~
(First off, apologies for the like two-day delay on this, some real-life stuff suddenly came up that took precedence, and on top of that this post took a lot longer to write than I anticipated. ^^;)

Anyway, we had 11 participants this time! And apparently I made things harder than I expected to! Regardless, let's see how everyone did!

The gimmicks
So, those two gimmicks under the category "Mario is gone". As expected, no one got the abstract one, but a lot of people figured out the easier one super quickly!

The games I tagged with [M] fell into two categories: Mario clones, and games featuring Mario characters but not Mario himself.

Four people identified the clone gimmick and earned 5 extra points: kitikami, RoboTrain, tangy, and xfix.
Additionally, I gave 2.5 extra points to Bean, for getting the base idea of the gimmick but overcomplicating it along the lines of "Mario clones with female protagonists".
The answers
01. Pokémon Sword & Shield – Battle! (Marnie)
Found by: iosh, kitikami, Nast

Marnie's my favorite of the gen 8 rivals. I just love her punk aesthetic and sweet, soft-spoken personality.

02. Chris Sawyer's Locomotion – Bright Expectations
Found by: Nobody :c

A game from the creator of Rollercoaster Tycoon in the vein of his earlier Transport Tycoon. It wasn't as popular or well-received as either, though.

03. Treasure Mountain! (1990) – Title Theme (Solfeggietto)
Found by: kitikami (Solo!)

I'll be honest, I didn't actually expect anyone to get this one without a hint. I just checked the Wikipedia page for Solfeggietto out of curiosity, though, and it mentions its use in this game, so I kinda wonder if you got there through that or some other method. :P

04. Groove Coaster – It's a pit world

Since this is a rhythm game, I included video of someone playing the song. That'd probably convey how the game works better than I can in words. I've been pretty addicted lately.

05. JIGGLY ZONE – Moon's mountain
Found by: kitikami, tangy

https://hubol.bandcamp.com/album/jiggly-zone-ost

I couldn't find a video that had this one song right from the start so I just linked to the whole soundtrack. This game's music is so odd in a way that weirdly appeals to me.

06. Fantasy Life – Grassy Plains at Night
Found by: iosh (Solo!)

I really like this game, I'd love to see Level-5 revisit the idea someday. Though the company seems to be struggling lately, given they had to close their US branch and all. :c

07. Final Fantasy XIII-2 – Caius's Theme

XIII-2 honestly has one of my favorite soundtracks in the FF series, and this is prooobably my favorite track from it.

08. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD – Chant for Sanctuary
Found by: ano0maly, iosh, Nast

I love the 7th Dragon games, and was so excited back when it was announced that this last one'd be coming out in the US, since all the prior ones were Japan only.

09. Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue! – Airport Infiltration
Found by: Nast (Solo!)

For a licensed kid-targeted collectathon this game holds up super well.

10. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask – Descole's Theme

Layton really isn't super obscure, is it? Did I just pick an unrecognizable segment of the track? ^^;

11. Mega Man Zero 2 – Ice Brain
Found by: ano0maly, Bean, iosh, RoboTrain
Half-found by: Nast

One of my favorite standard level themes from the Mega Man Zero games. Not exactly sure why it appeals to me as much as it does.

12. Cat Girl Without Salad: Amuse-Bouche – BGM - RPG Galaxy

A game announced as an April Fools' joke, then later actually made in some form. The soundtrack's pretty neat and has a lot of Jake Kaufman playing around with pastiches of various genres.

13. Kid Chameleon – Mountain Area
Found by: Cyril (Solo!)

I was a little surprised this was a solo given how many times it's been rereleased in collections and the like. This game has a ton of levels compared to a lot of platformers of the era.

14. The Little Mermaid – Sea of Coral

One of the lesser-known Capcom NES Disney games. It's nothing groundbreaking, but still pretty fun.

15. Phantasy Star – Dungeon 2
Found by: kitikami, Nast

When PSO2 got its official global release I decided to replay the original four games. I've actually not played any of the later Phantasy Stars, though, I someday should.

16. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky – Silver Will
Found by: HatKid, iosh, kitikami
Half-found by: ano0maly, Bean

I love the Trails games so so much. I ought to look back at the earlier Legend of Heroes games someday.

17. Crystalis (NES) – On the Mountain
Found by: Bean, xfix

One of my favorite games on NES, and I'm glad it's less obscure these days than it once was.

18. Iji – 3 Cans Later
Found by: iosh, tangy

Every time I hear this soundtrack I keep meaning to replay the game but forgetting to.

19. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX – Cavern of Remembrance
Found by: Nast(☆), Cyril, RoboTrain, Validon98

I debated the whole contest whether to count the people who didn't note that it's the HD version of the song as fully found or half-found. I ultimately decided to be lenient, but still throw Nast a single extra point as a not-quite-solo bonus for being the only one to mention the version.

20. The Last Story – Invitation to Madness

As a whole not one of my top Nobuo Uematsu soundtracks, but there are still a lot of really great tracks.

21. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SNES) – In the Cradle (House)
Found by: HatKid, Nast, Validon98

Imo one of the weaker Ys games, admittedly, but I love that series so much. I'm so looking forward to the All the Ys thing raocow recently mentioned in his Zwei playthrough aaaaa
Though there's still years of fun left in AtS first~

22. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale – Wandering Fairy
Found by: HatKid (Solo!)

"Capitalism, ho!"

23. The Alliance Alive – Burning Realm

I love this game so much. It does everything the preceding Legend of Legacy did even better. I have the 3DS version, but it got a remaster since it was released so close to the end of the system's life cycle and all.

24. [INTRUDER!] Mark Soto "Blaz" – Milky Railway Galaxy

This might've been a mean intruder, I just thought it'd fit the contest theme. This song comes from an album of music inspired by the Mario Galaxy games. There are some pretty good tracks there.

25. They Bleed Pixels – SCOURGE

I couldn't find a good video with the music given notable focus, so here's some random gameplay footage of a level using this track. This game is super fun. Also super hard.

26. Panel Flux – Peach Permutation

https://entanma.itch.io/panelflux

Linking to the game itself, it can be played in browser. It's from the Copy Kitty developers, and its soundtrack consists of some chiptune arrangements of music from that game. It's a super fun little match-3 puzzle game built around making combos to completely clear randomly-generated boards in limited moves.

27. Brandish (PC-98) – Headless

I've only played a little bit of this game, both the original and the PSP version. I'm not sure why I didn't play more, it's quite fun.

28. [M] BROS – Ground Theme (Minuet in G Major)
Found by: ano0maly, kitikami, tangy
Gimmick point: ano0maly, kitikami, tangy

The first of the Mario clones on this list, and the most blatant of the bunch.

29. Freedom Planet – Up the Creek (Jade Creek 1)
Found by: Bean, Nast

This 30-second clip is my ringtone. Which has the side effect of me feeling like my phone is ringing every time I play this stage. :P

30. [M] Marisa to Muttsu no Kinoko: New Super Marisa Land – Underground BGM
Found by: 7 people
Half-found by: Validon98
Gimmick point: 6 people

I feel so so bad putting Validon in half-found because they clearly knew the answer, but sadly "Super Marisa Land" is its own distinct game from New Super Marisa Land with its own distinct soundtrack. :c
Also yeah, [M] for being a Mario clone.

31. Trials of Mana (2020) – Powell
Found by: 5 people

The original might be my favorite Mana game, and while I've not finished the remake 100% yet it's extremely fun too.

32. Madō Monogatari 1-2-3 (PC-98) – Battle

More recent material calls the series "Sorcery Saga" in English. It's the dungeon crawler series that Puyo Puyo began as a spinoff of!

33. Tales of Rebirth – Forest Labyrinth
Half-found by: Nast (Solo!)

This is probably one of my favorite Tales games. Hopefully the fan translation is completed someday so more people can experience it.

34. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift – Gluttony Fang
Found by: Nast (Solo!)

Hazama is probably my favorite BlazBlue character, but wow is he ever hard to play effectively. His style is super flashy if you ever watch someone really good, though.

35. [M] Densetsu no Starfy 3 – Undersea Ruins
Half-found by: Bean (Solo!)
Gimmick point: Bean, RoboTrain

It's been so long since the last Starfy, I wonder if there'll ever be another. And if so, whether they'd make it out of Japan.
[M] for featuring Wario.

36. The Witch's House – Spool of Thread
Found by: Bean, iosh

A super fun little horror-puzzle game. There's a remake on Steam, but the original is freeware. Definitely worth a play.

37. Sly 2: Band of Thieves – Nightclub

I love the Sly games, though their soundtracks admittedly don't really stand out save for a handful of tracks. I don't think this is necessarily one of those, but it's pretty catchy in-context.

38. Little Magic (SNES) – Password Entry

One of the ones I kinda expected no one would get. A Japan-only puzzle game that's so much fun. Last I tried it the English fan translation won't start on accurate emulators, though. :c

39. Child of Light – Down to a Dusty Plain

A contest like 6 years ago used a song from this game and only one person got it then, so I'm not terribly surprised no one got it this time.

40. 2 Spicy – GRI warehouse

Another I didn't expect anyone would get. It's a like duel-based light gun cover shooter with versus multiplayer from SEGA. A looong time ago I was at an arcade place where it was like "unlimited credits for 2 hours" rather than an actual number of credits and I discovered this game and got super addicted in that time.

41. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward – Placidity
Found by: Cyril, RoboTrain
Half-found by: iosh

I really love the Zero Escape series, though I do think 999 is still the best of the three. (also public note to self, reminder to look into uchikoshi's newer stuff)

42. [M] The Great Giana Sisters – Title
Found by: Bean, kitikami, tangy, xfix
Gimmick point: Bean, kitikami, tangy, xfix

The third track from a Mario clone. I've heard pretty positive things about it, it's another game on my "look into this someday" list.

43. A Hat in Time – Trainwreck of Electro Swing (Remix)
Found by: 6 people

Almost everyone who figured out the gimmick thought this was one of the [M]s, but I was rather strict in my definition of "clone", it seems. ^^;

44. [M] Sonic Lost World – Sea Bottom Segue
Found by: Bean, Cyril, iosh, Nast
Gimmick point: Nobody :c

This isn't a super popular Sonic but I really like it. I wonder what raocow will think of it when he gets to it in a few years or however long it'll be.
[M] for all the Yoshi stuff in the Wii U version.

45. Spyro 2: Season of Flame – Boss

The Spyro GBA games are pretty fun. They do pretty alright at adapting the PS games' gameplay to a 2D isometric view. Can't speak for the Crash crossovers, though.

46. Slay the Spire – Mind Bloom
Found by: iosh (Solo!)

A "roguelike" deckbuilding game that is incredibly addicting. Just, like, so much fun.

47. Soma Bringer – Snowy Foot of the Mountain
Found by: iosh, Nast

Soma Bringer might have one of my favorite Yasunori Mitsuda soundtracks ever, which is definitely saying something considering the fantastic stuff he's done throughout his career.

48. Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius – I Remember That! ~from 'That's the Way' (KC and the Sunshine Band)~
Found by: iosh, kitikami, RoboTrain, xfix
Half-found by: ano0maly

This game has such quirky sorta remixes of things.

49. Gyakuten Kenji 2 – Logic Chess ~ Opening

I love Ace Attorney so so so soooo much. That is all.

50. Dragalia Lost – A frenzied rage

I'm not usually into mobile games but this one really appeals to me. And it's got really fair rates as far as gacha games go, too, given I've not spent a single cent on the game yet have still collected like 90% of the characters.

51. Umineko: When They Cry – The Great Detective Knows

Umineko's one of my favorite stories ever and is filled with great music, a highly recommended read.

52. Xenogears – My Village is Number One!
Found by: Bean, kitikami

Xenogears has another of my favorite Yasunori Mitsuda soundtracks. Also through a string of spiritual successors eventually led to Xenoblade, my favorite game altogether.

53. Bravely Second: End Layer – The Grand Ship (Superstar Mix)

a lot of people talk about ironically liking this song. i like it unironically. fight me.

54. [M] SuperTux – bossattack
Found by: xfix (Solo!)
Gimmick point: xfix

The fourth and final of the Mario clones on this list.

55. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light – Battle Map 5: Final Map (CP Side)
Found by: HatKid (Solo!)

I was originally going to pick a song from Shadows of Valentia, but decided on the original instead since its official English release disappeared along with Mario.

56. [M] The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Minish Village
Found by: iosh, RoboTrain

This is one of those ones I mistakenly thought would be super easy. But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised it wasn't, Minish Cap is one of the lesser-played Zeldas after all.
[M] for the presence of Lakitu.

57. Dustforce – 9-bit Expedition
Found by: Cyril, iosh

This game has such a neat vibe, and the physics feel so good.

58. RPG Maker MZ – Battle3
Half-found by: ano0maly

RPG Maker MZ definitely falls into the box of RPG Makers with really good RTP soundtracks imo.

59. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night – Dance of Pales
Found by: 6 people

The title is obviously supposed to be "Pearls" and has been rendered as such in some official material, but the most recent soundtrack release I can find went back to the "Pales" title so I guess that's the one I'm using here. >:C
Anyway, this random track may very well be my favorite in the entire Castlevania series and I'm not entirely sure why. Something about this kind of dark waltz always appeals to me, I guess.

60. [M] Punch-Out!! (Wii) – Disco Kid
Found by: Validon98 (Solo!)

I've never played this game, but it's got some pretty good fight music. I ought to check it out someday.
[M] for Donkey Kong being the like secret boss that I'm pretty sure isn't much of a secret these days.
The results
[Note: Please let me know if there's a different name I should use for anyone, since people have different names across the talkhaus and Discord and all. Or if I made any math mistakes, on that note.]

Tied for 10th place, ano0maly & Cyril, with 14 points!
ano0maly: So sorry I kept having to sleep around the times you were asking for hints. ^^;
Cyril: Your last-minute entry took away a handful of points I already had noted as solo bonuses for others. I haven't done the math on whether the actual outcome of the contest would've been any different if you hadn't entered, though. Not that the results are all that important anyway. :P

Tied for 8th place, tangy & Validon98, with 15 points!
tangy: Wow was your submission terse. Still, you were pretty accurate with the ones you listed!
Validon98: I really liked looking at your guesses on the ones you didn't know. I could totally see where you're coming from with them style-wise and stuff!

In 7th place, HatKid, with 18 points!
Hey, you got all the ones from games you've got on your reviews page, at least! :P

In 6th place, RoboTrain, with 23 points!
Your filler answer of "Bravely Second: End Layer" made me laugh, since it's such a random pick but was in fact the source of one of the ones you didn't have.

In 5th place, xfix, with 26 points!
I was pretty impressed that you got the gimmick the very first day of the contest. And on that note well done figuring out SuperTux.

In 4th place, Bean, with 30½ points!
Has anyone else ever earned half of a point in these contests before? I'm very new to them.

🥉In 3rd place, Nast, with 37 points!
Same sentiment as with Validon, I loved seeing your thoughts on the ones you didn't know and seeing how they fit.

🥈In 2nd place, iosh, with 38 points!
You appeared out of nowhere pretty close to the end and did quite well, nicely done!

🥇And in 1st place, kitikami, with 52 points!
You got quite a handful of them, and on that note a lot of solo bonuses, too. Really well done! Congrats~
---

Lastly, a big thank you so much to everyone who participated! 💚
If in the distant future it ever becomes possible to host a contest here again, I've definitely learned a lot to make next time smoother. ^^;
Last edited by FourteenthOrder 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Re: [RESULTS!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

Post by Bean »

Pretty good finish this time even if it's not a podium placement. Neat. Here are my answers!
4) Lumines?
11) Mega Man Zero 2
16) Trails of Cold Steel?
17) Crystalis?
19) Celeste?
29) Freedom Planet
30) New Super Marisa Land [M]
31) Trials of Mana
35) The Legendary Starfy? [M]
36) The Witch's House
37) The Intruder?!
42) The Great Giana Sisters [M]
43) A Hat in Time [M]
44) Sonic Lost World
46) Metroid Prime? [M]
48) Radiant Silvergun?
52) Xenogears
57) BoxBoy? [M]
59) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Bonus M1) Mario-like games that star gals - NSML (2D Mario), Giana Sisters (SMB1), & AHiT (Sunshine). Can't find the fourth for the life of me.
Bonus M2) Platformers made by Nintendo that don't star Mario - Starfy & BoxBoy?
Good show, Fourteenth! It was fun trying to land some of these, and I'm glad I got the Starfy game right even if it wasn't one I played!
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Re: [RESULTS!] Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest 19: The Disappearance of Mario Mario

Post by RedMageSusie »

I didn't enter because I didn't get time to listen to as many OSTs as I'd like for this. On first pass, I got 30, 34, 49, and partially 33 as "A Tales game but idk which one". Some of these make me realize I should pay attention to the music in raocow's LPs more >_> And I thought 48 was the intruder, but I put a note to see if "That's the Way (I Like It)" was used in any games.

10 I should've known, but I haven't touched the 3DS Layton games much after beating them the first time. 41 was familiar and I'm slightly upset it never clued in for me. And I just played 60 for the first time recently, so I know it now, but not at the time.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Hey! I didn't get last or second to last for once!! That Ys V song really frustrated me, like I recognized it, but I for the life of me just could not place it! Then I decided to just ask for a hint lol. A little embarrassing I didn't get that Hat in Time song considering my username, but whatever haha. I was really delighted to hear that FE1 one song and really happy you didn't pick a song from Echoes ;)

Here are my guesses, I attached song names for some of them even though there was no reason to
3. Castlevania
16. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Silver Will
21. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand - In the Cradle
22. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
31. Trials of Mana (2020) - Powell
49. Ace Attorney Investigations 2
55. Fire Emblem Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light - Battle Map 5 (CP)
59. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Dance of Pearls
I've kinda pondered maybe hosting one of these sometime, but it seems like a lot of work... plus I don't know if I could not just pick all my favorite VGM... it'd be tough lol
RoboTrain

Post by RoboTrain »

Ah!!! I thought 12. sounded like a Jake Kaufman-y thing, but alas, I have yet to partake in the cat girl or her absentee salad.
Previously known as MetroSubwayAndroid.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I was blanking out on a lot of these, but I really like track #8 so I wanted to ensure that I submitted.
List:

1) 3D Sonic?
2) [M]

4) <hint> Intruder?
5) [M]

8) 7th Dragon III Code: VFD [サンクチュアリを謳って] (basically translates to "Chant for Sanctuary", according to VGMdb

10) Castlevania?
11) Megaman Zero 2 [Ice Brain]

13) [M]

16) <hint> Something from The Legend of Heroes: Trails (Kiseki) series, I don't think I can pinpoint the game

21) [M]

24) Pokemon Stadium?

26) Megaman?

28) [M] <hint> BROS [(Minuet in G major)] (uses music associated with Bach but composed by Petzold - did the two even meet at any point??)

30) [M] New Super Marisa Land [(Underground theme)]
31) <hint>

35) Zelda?

43) A Hat in Time [Trainwreck Of Electro Swing] - not gonna miss it this time

47) [M]
48) <hint> Parodius?

53) Bravely Second: End Layer [Huge Vessels of Superstar Pudding, God Arrange]

58) <hint> A music supplied in an RPG Maker program?
59) [M]
Some comments about the hints I got:
4: Why am I so sleepy now? I do not want anything. - No clue. I couldn't parse any word besides "everywhere" and plausibly "world".
16: From a Falcom game that's part of a subseries of a subseries. - Not being familiar with the franchise, I tried looking through OSTs of several Trails. I guess I missed this one.
28: The main theme of a game raocow played as a oneshot with the possibility of a part two that hasn't come to fruition. - This sounded like a recognizable classical piece, so I first identified the music by spelling out the chords. Then there was still the task of finding what kind of retro game would use it. I didn't expect it to be a pirated Atari 800 game.
31: This song comes from the remake of a game exclusive to Japan for decades. Unexpectedly, the original made it overseas as well. - Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles came to mind immediately when I read the hint. And some tracks in that game actually get so close stylistically, but unfortunately that wasn't it.
48: A stage theme from a pretty talkative shmup. - The hint sounded like Parodius, but I actually know the original source material and I'm surprised I didn't catch that. I guess I didn't expect something like this to be parodied by this series.
58: Not from one single specific "game" per se, but not the intruder either, given the purpose of the software. - Another one where the hint gave me a sense of what it would be, but I just didn't know which.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

A very neat choice of songs! Especially the ones that are rather obscure but in well known titles. Good job running the contest!

The next contest will be held around September-November. Please look forward to the next installment!

Who has the most?
Nast

Post by Nast »

Thanks for running the contest! It was pretty hard this time but I still had fun. I'm a little surprised at my placement as I wasn't expecting to do all that well. Guess it helped that I splurged a bit more on hints than usual :P
(*) - used hint

1. Pokémon Sword and Shield
2. ---
3. tower of druaga?
4. sayonara wild hearts?
5. pikmin?
6. ---
7. fire emblem?
8. 7th Dragon III Code:VFD
9. Toy Story 2 (*)
10. final fantasy?
11. mega man zero?
12. ---
13. ---
14. adventures in the magic kingdom?
15. Phantasy Star
16. saga?
17. contra?
18. metroid prime?
19. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (HD 2.5 version)
20. ---
21. Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (*)
22. ---
23. sonic shuffle?
24. evolution?
25. --- (the intruder?)
26. ---
27. ---
28. ---
29. Freedom Planet
30. New Super Marisa Land
31. Trials of Mana (2020) (*)
32. ---
33. tales of?
34. Blazblue: Continuum Shift (*)
35. golden sun?
36. mad father?
37. ---
38. joe & mac?
39. ---
40. f-zero gx?
41. persona?
42. castlevania?
43. A Hat in Time (*)
44. Sonic Lost World
45. rocket knight?
46. ---
47. Soma Bringer (*)
48. wario ware?
49. Gyakuten Kenji 2
50. ---
51. ---
52. ---
53. Bravely Second: End Layer
54. ---
55. ---
56. kirby?
57. ---
58. atelier series?
59. ---
60. ---
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Thanks FourteenthOrder for running the contest. I enjoyed dual themes of Mario is missing and J.S. Bach is missing.

I definitely got Treasure Mountain! from the wiki page for Solfeggietto. It's on the Internet Archive, so i ended up playing it for a bit just to see what it was, but i gave up when i ran out of nets.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I did it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life