(shouting)

[CLOSED] Talkcordhaus Video Game Music (VGM) Guessing Contest XVII: And Knuckles

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
SirChasm
Just here for the music guessing contests.

[CLOSED] Talkcordhaus Video Game Music (VGM) Guessing Contest XVII: And Knuckles

Post by SirChasm »

A VERY GOOD LOGO

The good news is that it's once again time for a video game music guessing contest; the bad news is that my inability to utilize BBCode terrible effectively, as well as my lack of artistic talent, means that this is going to look a little more slipshod than recent contests have. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Anyways, hi! I barely post on here! But I placed relatively highly in the past three contests and I hosted a video game music radio show in college, so clearly I have the credentials to host this. I hope you're in the mood to guess some video game music, because otherwise I really question why you elected to read this topic!

How does this contest work?
A collection of sixty songs from video games is available for your listening ear: your job is to identify the game that these songs come from. You'll be given a roughly thirty-second clip for each song provided. If a song is featured in more than one game, chances are I'm looking for its first appearance, but if a guess occurs often enough I may change this rule for that circumstance. (Not if it's completely wrong, though!)

Please note that one of these songs is an intruder! This tune may try to fool you, but it was never featured in a released video game. Keep an ear out for that pesky perpetrator!

To enter the contest, write up your answers and send them via one of three methods.
  1. Through Direct Message (DM) on the Talkhaus to my account.
  2. Through the Patapon Spotzone to my account.
  3. Through Discordhaus to Katazuki; thank you again for volunteering!
What's the gimmick this time?
It's been ages since the last contest, so this one is all about SEGA! Of the sixty songs in this contest, fifteen are from games published and/or developed by SEGA and/or its subsidiaries. Can you do what Nintendoesn't?

How do I win this contest?
The important thing is to earn the most points possible; technically, you could have more right answers than somebody, but still finish behind them! Here's a breakdown of how to earn points.
  • If you correctly name the game that a song is from, you will earn two (2) points.
  • If you correctly name the series that a song is from, you will earn one (1) point.
  • For every three (3) songs you correctly identify as coming from a game published and/or developed by SEGA and/or its subsidiaries, you will earn two (2) points, for a possible total of ten (10) points.
  • If you correctly identify the intruder, you will earn five (5) points.
  • If no one else is able to find the game (or series) that a song is from other than you, you will earn double the points for that song! This does not carry over to identifying SEGA songs, but will count for the intruder.
However, there are also ways that you can lose points...
  • If you incorrectly identify a song as coming from a game published and/or developed by SEGA and/or its subsidiaries, you will lose one (1) point.
  • If you identify more than fifteen songs as coming from games published and/or developed by SEGA and/or its subsidiaries, you will lose two (2) points for each additional guess. In other words, please don't try to label every song, and focus on getting the ones you know are right.
  • If you identify more than one song as the intruder, you will lose five (5) points for each additional guess. It's the same ruling as above. (Note, however, that I won't deduct any points if you guess the intruder incorrectly!)
Can I get some help?
Of course! You may ask for up to three hints free of charge, and an additional four hints may be purchased at the cost of one (1), two (2), three (3), and four (4) points respectively. This is both to ensure you won't spend more than ten points, as well as making sure you don't flood Katazuki or myself with requests for hints. (If you ask for a fifth paid hint/eighth overall hint, you will be explicitly told that you can't purchase one. If you ask again, you will be disqualified.)

You may spend up to three hints on each song. The first hint will give you a clue that should give you enough of a lead to determine the song. The second hint will give you additional information, such as the year of its release, the publisher/developer, and/or the console it's available for. The third hint will just tell you what song it is, so if you want a guaranteed two points, use all three on one song!

Please note that there are a few exceptions to this rule: if a song has lyrics that are easily discernible, you must spend two hints on it; the first hint would be my telling you to look up the lyrics in the first place, after all. To be more precise, this means that you must spent two hints on songs 26, 48, 51, 56, and 57.

How long do I have?
The deadline for this competition is Friday, May 1st, 2020, at 10:30 PM CDT (in other words, when the All the Sonics episode is uploaded for that day). Feel free to update your answers until that time.

Will there be prizes?
Yes! First, second, and third place will each receive a small prize to be announced with the results.

Typically, this is where you'd see a big ol' column of audio clips to listen to, but as previously alluded to, I can't get my Dropbox files to work with them. So instead, we're going with the next best thing: a pair of links!

...is what I would have said if I didn't find out how to post the audios thanks, once again, to Katazuki. The links are still down there for your clicking pleasure, though.

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOO!
To listen to each clip directly from Dropbox, please click here!

To download a .ZIP with each clip from Dropbox, please click here! Note that the clips are in .WAV form.

If the Dropbox links aren't working due to traffic issues, here is a MEGA link containing all sixty song clips.

Okay, that's all I got! If something's screwy, please let me know; otherwise, best of luck, and I'll see you for the results!

EDIT: Whoops! I almost forgot about your extra credit opportunity!

With the exception of the second one, every VGM guessing contest is cataloged here on the Talkhaus. Among them, there are three songs that featured in multiple contests. You will earn one (1) point for each of those songs you correctly identify, and these will qualify for doubling if you're the only one to get them right.

Additionally, if you can somehow find a copy of the songs used in the second contest (with sufficient evidence to prove you're not just making stuff up), I'll give you an extra two (2) points for finding a missing piece of history.
Last edited by SirChasm 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Talkcordhaus Video Game Music (VGM) Guessing Contest XVII: And Knuckles

Post by Bean »

Saw the topic the other night and am finally downloading the songs. I'll give them a first listen tomorrow.
SirChasm

Post by SirChasm »

We're just about at the halfway point of the competition! I'd say things are kicking into overdrive, but considering that I've received only one request for a hint and one list of answers, that's probably a bit of an overstatement. I'm hoping that this is because you all are working hard on deducing these songs, and not that you've grown tired of these contests/I'm just doing a ridiculously bad job of hosting this particular contest.

Keep your ears open and your mind sharp, guessers; remember, you only have until the All the Sonics episode is released on Friday, May 1, 2020 to send in your answers and grab your shot at fame, glory, and a sweet prize!
Last edited by SirChasm 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

honestly literally only just saw this was open
i've only positively id'ed 4 songs total and i dunno how many more i'll get. if there's a sonic song in there somewhere i didn't recognize it, which, oof
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SirChasm

Post by SirChasm »

Uh, I just got an email saying that the links to download the files have been temporarily deactivated due to the high amount of traffic.

On the one hand, this means that y'all are participating, which is good. On the other hand, this means that there could be some issues in participating, which is bad. To ensure an even playing field and to allow all possible participants, please don't download the files directly unless it's absolutely mandatory; the sound files on the main post should still work regardless of the circumstances.

Please let me know if you've been affected by this. If enough people were, I'd be completely okay with extending the deadline to ensure that everyone who wants to enter can do so.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

The sound files on the main post are returning 404 errors too. Nothing happens when you click them.
SirChasm

Post by SirChasm »

They're working on my end, but it might just be because I'm the one who put them up on Dropbox. Crud.

For now, we'll go with a backup solution: A MEGA folder containing the sixty song clips.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

yeah dropbox as a whole kind of doesn't want to be used as general purpose hosting. There's a reason that they've gotten rid of the public folder, after all.

(I have maybe one song that I'm possibly reasonably confident in guessing about so I'm just waiting for the results)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
SirChasm

Post by SirChasm »

We're down to the final day of the contest! For those of you looking to do some cramming, or are otherwise still intimidated by the chosen songs (I swear, I didn't intend to make this as challenging as it seems to have been), here's your cheat sheet.

If you still intend to use hints, please send them in sooner rather than later so I can get them to you in time! I'll probably do my last check about a half-hour before the deadline, but assume that earlier is safer.

Again, you can submit your answers until the All the Sonics episode on Friday, May 1, 2020 is released. Good luck!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

to be clear every VGM contest so far has been way harder than it was supposed to be, iirc

anyways i have exactly 5 songs i've been able to positively identify and like two more i'm closeish/maybe right on which is about the usual
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SirChasm

Post by SirChasm »

Entries will no longer be accepted! The results and answers will be posted within the next few days.