(shouting)

[Closed~!] ♪ Unofficial Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest ♫

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

[Closed~!] ♪ Unofficial Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest ♫

Post by Katazuki »

After over a year hiatus, it's the...
Image Hello everyone! It's me, Kuro, once again, here to host my second VGM contest in a row while Katazuki judges!

Image This time around, however, I'll be hosting the contest not only here on the Talkhaus, but also on the Discordhaus as well to hopefully bring in more participants since the last contest didn't have too many entries.

Image Kat was this close to splicing the names together as 'Tacohaus', but I managed to stop him from using such a silly name.

Image Anyways, if you guys still remember from last year, the general gist of the contest remains the same. There’s going to be a playlist of 50 video game song samples with lengths varying between 29, 30, and 31 seconds! PM (or DM on Discord) Kat with your guesses on which video game each track comes from!

Image Now I had Kat promise me that there'll be no gimmicks in this contest this time around, so let's just get to the rules shall we?
~~~
Scoring
  • 2 points are awarded if you guess the exact game the song comes from correctly!
  • 1 point is awarded if you only guess the correct series the song comes from!
  • Some songs may appear in more than one game, in which case they will also count towards either category. Be aware though, that if the song is remixed in any way, you have to pinpoint the exact game in order to get the full points!
  • Points awarded are doubled for one track if you're the only person who guessed the correct game or series!
  • 5 points are awarded if you identify the intruder song that doesn't appear in any game at all!
Hints
  • If you're having trouble identifying the game, you may PM or DM asking for me hints for any song!
  • You can ask up to 3 hints without penalty!
  • -1 point is deducted per hint on your total score after 3 hints!
  • -3 points are deducted per hint on your total score after 7 hints!
  • Be mindful that some of the hints I give may not make sense immediately! You can always ask for more hints for the same song though, in which I'll then progressively make more sense.
  • Asking for multiple hints on the same song will still add to the hint counter, so be aware!
Deadline
  • The deadline of this contest is January 10th @ 9 PM EST!
  • Before the deadline hits, you're free to change your guesses!
  • However, if you mark a song as an intruder at any point, it's locked onto that song! If you find out that the song is from a game later on, however, you may change that guess and potentially get points for it, but you can no longer mark any other song as the intruder.
~~~
Image Before I hand out the playlist though, Kat himself would like to say something to you all. So take it away!
~~~
I'm surprised that it's been over a full year since the VGM contest last happened. With me as the host no less! It seems that the organizer of the contests, Jesuiscontent, has been on and off with activity on the Talkhaus. Either the hosting list has been exhausted at this point, or they just haven't been able to reach the peeps who were supposed to host. I dunno!

I've been inactive in the forum myself for almost a year too (except for that one post I made a few months ago but I don't count that). However, I wouldn't mind stepping up as the VGM contest organizer in the future if it means making these a more regular occurrence. That'd probably make me a little more active on the forum side of things.

And lastly as a fun fact: there's still plenty of cat songs on this list, they're just not a gimmick that will affect your score this time. If you tell me which of the songs are cat songs, I'll still have a meaningless award to give you at this end. I also put in quite a of few more easy songs in here (at least in my opinion) so hopefully I can get more people encouraged to join!

Also to you peeps voting for the VGM contests as the most missed forum game, time to change you votes!

With that said!
~~~
CAN'T ESCAPE FROM CROSSING FATE

Download the entire playlist here! (WARNING: This is a direct download!)
Last edited by Katazuki 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Re: ♪ Unofficial Talkcordhaus VGM Guessing Contest ♫

Post by RegiGiygas »

Real excited to participate but jeez I am rusty. Only recognized 5 on my first listen through and have 2 that I have ideas for. I've been slacking on the gaming tunes.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Will you also be hosting this on the patapon spotzone (or getting someone to help do that)?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

I'm not in the patapon server, but you're welcome to x-post this contest over there. They can PM me here if they want to send answers.

If they don't have a talkhaus account though, well, I'm not keen on displaying my Discord name publicly, so I might need a middleman or something.

Who has the most?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Well you could just have them join talkhaus in order to submit their answers

The VGM contests should take up the mantle from the MAGLs in bringing people into the forums
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

That would be a nice idea, but I feel it would also deter people from participating. There's a reason why I'm running the VGM contest in full on the discordhaus as well as opposed to just sharing the link to the talkhaus thread over there and just letting people know that the thread exists.

Who has the most?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Katazuki wrote: 5 years ago I'm not in the patapon server, but you're welcome to x-post this contest over there. They can PM me here if they want to send answers.

If they don't have a talkhaus account though, well, I'm not keen on displaying my Discord name publicly, so I might need a middleman or something.
a good chunk of people in the patapon spotzone don't have a talkhaus account and probably wouldn't register just for this, so you're gonna need a middleman. I've x-posted it there anyway though.
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
Katazuki wrote: 5 years ago I'm not in the patapon server, but you're welcome to x-post this contest over there. They can PM me here if they want to send answers.

a good chunk of people in the patapon spotzone don't have a talkhaus account and probably wouldn't register just for this, so you're gonna need a middleman. I've x-posted it there anyway though.
Alternatively, I could waltz into the patapon server-

If you don't plan to enter the contest, I wouldn't mind having you as a middleman. Otherwise I need to find a way to reliably receive their answers and also be able to provide hints when they need it.

Or I could PM you my Discord name and have you either add it to the x-post or give it to the interested peeps via DM. Since it's an exclusive server, it's not -that- public.

Who has the most?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If no one else is willing to be the middleman, then I guess I can do it.
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

Again, that would mean having to forfeit your entry in the contest, as you would be sending me other people's guesses and I'd need to send you the hints to the answers.

If you're fine with that, then by all means, PM me whenever you want to relay those guesses or need to give out hints.

Who has the most?
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

Due to me being a silly in uploading a remixed song that doesn't appear in game, track 26 has been changed. It's still a very similar sounding sample from the same game though, so the answer for that track hasn't changed.

Sorry for the screw up! At the very least with this mistake, you now know one track that isn't the intruder!

Who has the most?
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

One week remains until the VGM contest is over!

Who has the most?
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

Who has the most?
Katazuki
wawa

Post by Katazuki »

The submission period is now closed! Results coming up in a few minutes!

Who has the most?
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

took to long to submit whoops im smart i only started writing it them out yesterday. good luck to everyone else
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
Smibbix
ah yes i see

Post by Smibbix »

RegiGiygas wrote: 5 years ago took to long to submit whoops im smart i only started writing it them out yesterday. good luck to everyone else
Ha, same here. Had all but five guessed and ready to submit.
Best Quotes:
raocow wrote: 13 years ago One day I'll master time travel so I can kill myself before I do the cat planet video, time paradox be damned.