(shouting)

SMW Central's VLDCX [time up]

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
EvilMariobot

Re: SMW Central's VLDCX

Post by EvilMariobot »

Koopster wrote:ExAnimations are ez

First, in the red poison mushroom window, load in AN2 an ExGFX file that contains the frames of your animation.
You can see the original animated tile frames in the 8x8 editor (question block with shadow button) by pressing Ctrl+Shift+PageDown and going down a few pages. They're on pages 0x5 and 0x6, tiles 500 through 67F. 68F to 6FF is the ExGFX you load in AN2.
Arrange your frames in a similar fashion to the line guide ends (that are in page 0x6, bottom left corner). They work basically like what you want to set up - except they have 4 frames rather than 2.
Now to animate, click on the SMB3 brick. Set the type to "2 8x8s: line", set the frames amount to 2, set the destination to somewhere in the pages that are usable by map16 (anything between 000-2FF that's not being used), and for the frames, put the tile number of the leftmost tile of each frame (for a practical example - if I wanted to animate the line guide ends, I would, of course, set the frames amount to 4 instead, and input 640, 650, 660 and 670 as the frames).

Hope this wasn't a terrible explanation!!!
Thanks, it worked perfectly!

Now I need to know if it's possible to have a single long room, but no scrolling so that wherever you enter that room, the camera is locked.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

EvilMariobot wrote: Thanks, it worked perfectly!

Now I need to know if it's possible to have a single long room, but no scrolling so that wherever you enter that room, the camera is locked.
with vanilla, doubtful. just have a really thick wall between each segment.
Alternatively you're allowed to use 7 sublevels along with the main level, so maybe have each one be in its own level?
Last edited by Ivy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

EvilmarioBot wrote:Now I need to know if it's possible to have a single long room, but no scrolling so that wherever you enter that room, the camera is locked.
Click on the Mario head button and set the level to "No Horizontal or Vertical Scroll".
The camera will never align perfectly horizontally unless you are on the first screen, but it works

edit: oops, I keep forgetting how quotes work in this site. also ninja'd :p
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Ivy wrote: 7 years ago just have a really thick wall between each segment.
Decided to go with this so I don't have to keep track of so many sublevels. Thanks.

Now, how do I transfer a level's palettes into a sublevel's?
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

EvilMariobot wrote: 7 years ago
Ivy wrote: 7 years ago just have a really thick wall between each segment.
Decided to go with this so I don't have to keep track of so many sublevels. Thanks.

Now, how do I transfer a level's palettes into a sublevel's?
Nevermind, found a workaround.

Okay, 2 questions about the moving ghost house holes.
-Will they work with cement block tiles, or does it have to be tiles Mario can jump through from below for him to fall through?
-If used with cement blocks, can you throw objects up through them?
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

EvilMariobot wrote: 7 years ago Okay, 2 questions about the moving ghost house holes.
-Will they work with cement block tiles, or does it have to be tiles Mario can jump through from below for him to fall through?
I believe it must be tiles that Mario can jump through from below for Mario to fall through completely. Generally don't use solid blocks with them, as the interaction can be quite wonky. I'm not completely certain on this, so you can just test it with Lunar Magic for the e x p e r i e n c e.
Yes, you can throw objects up through those holes, although I don't think Mario can jump through them (not sure about this). This was used in House of the Holy, where you had to time a throw block with the moving holes.

Munchers can work with the moving hole, but it's glitchy and sometimes you can get hit unfairly.
Mosts Awards:
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

ft029 wrote: 7 years ago
EvilMariobot wrote: 7 years ago Okay, 2 questions about the moving ghost house holes.
I believe it must be tiles that Mario can jump through from below for Mario to fall through completely. Generally don't use solid blocks with them, as the interaction can be quite wonky. I'm not completely certain on this, so you can just test it with Lunar Magic for the e x p e r i e n c e.
Yes, you can throw objects up through those holes, although I don't think Mario can jump through them (not sure about this). This was used in House of the Holy, where you had to time a throw block with the moving holes.

Munchers can work with the moving hole, but it's glitchy and sometimes you can get hit unfairly.
Okay, good to know. Thanks.

I couldn't test this myself because the rom won't work on ZSNES and SNES9X doesn't like my system.
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

Right now you have 4 hours or so to submit something before the deadline, but similarly to last year, an extension with penalties has been given.
Every day after the deadline will be -10 points. This probably guarantees you won't make it to the best world right away, but you can still score fairly well if you just take a couple of extra days!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Time to totally forget something obvious and make 9th place for it.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Re: SMW Central's VLDCX [time up]

Post by idol »

judgings done btw

h
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Man, those judges sound like a bunch of jerks, jeez.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Man all I wanted was to beat Ivy and he kicked my ass

gg
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago Man all I wanted was to beat Ivy and he kicked my ass

gg
Neither of us are making it to the top 60 collab so we're both boned equally in the end
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I got 116th? I'm honestly shocked I even got that high, considering my inexperience.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

sick slick 6th over 5th erryday
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)