(shouting)

Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

My bet is exclusive footage of S.N.N. debuting his new ventriloquism act.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote:I find the scare quotes around the word bonus a tad distressing. Are we to deduce therefrom that it is actually a malus? Or perhaps a malleus? A malleus of malice?
Indeed, it appears that MAGL3 will be rife with unrequested and unwanted crabapples!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

S.N.N. wrote:but I'll be messaging the judges tomorrow to get a unanimous decision on them.
interesting. does that mean that the top 5 are chosen independently of the scores? example if my score puts me in second but you all know i deserve first you'll change it?

i hope i win (but ill settle for beating idol ;) )
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

This troll effort has not stopped making me laugh once this whole time.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

FrozenQuills wrote:Anyone think they got like top 20 or top 10 in this contest? Or possibly a judge favorite?
I don't think I've done so but I just hope the judges had a good time with my level.
I want to believe that I won, but that's probably a false hope.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

FrozenQuills wrote:Anyone think they got like top 20 or top 10 in this contest? Or possibly a judge favorite?
I don't think I've done so but I just hope the judges had a good time with my level.
I hope your placement is a multiple of 5 :3
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I'll eat FQ's shoe :D
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I'm hoping to place in the top 70
video games
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Le Neveu De Rameau wrote:My bet is exclusive footage of S.N.N. debuting his new ventriloquism act.
i can only muster a crowd of my mom and dog currently so by using raocow as my medium i can show the world my true abilities
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Enjl wrote:I hope your placement is a multiple of 5 :3
TaviTurnip wrote:I'll eat FQ's shoe :D
GDI you guys i'll eat 5 shoes if i win
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

you're lucky i entered then. i hear shoes are hard to eat :)
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

My level is too experimental for me to really guess where I placed but I kind of expect to land in the 50s. I know I can't expect to win, so this time, I'll just be happy seeing what all people came up with!
I don't really get it but okay
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

I really couldn't even compete at all with my entry. It was good FG graphics and good ASM, but backgrounds and music were barely even touched (not custom) so I expect pretty dang low off that alone. Enough to be in the bottom rung? Eh, I expect to make it to below half. May the best person win irregardless!
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

LunarNeedle wrote:It was good FG graphics and good ASM, but backgrounds and music were barely even touched (not custom) so I expect pretty dang low off that alone.
Man, you haven't played any other entries LOL

Also, 50% of your points come from the fun factor, and another 17% from creativity. 8% is from the difficulty curve. 8% is from functionality. Music and backgrounds, which are a small portion of the remaining 17%, are about the last thing I would worry about.

EDIT, ALTHOUGH NO ONE PROBABLY CARES SINCE THIS POST IS KIND OF OLD: Your level is unplayable LunarNeedle. The intro screen doesn't have a "display message 1" in it.
Last edited by ft029 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mosts Awards:
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

ft029 wrote:
LunarNeedle wrote:It was good FG graphics and good ASM, but backgrounds and music were barely even touched (not custom) so I expect pretty dang low off that alone.
Man, you haven't played any other entries LOL

Also, 50% of your points come from the fun factor, and another 17% from creativity. 8% is from the difficulty curve. 8% is from functionality. Music and backgrounds, which are a small portion of the remaining 17%, are about the last thing I would worry about.
Then may I ask how you think I will place?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I'm just hoping my level is playable and inoffensive. Because I couldn't play it... at all. So I can count winning out of the picture easily. I just hope I'm out of the garbage tier.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Shadow_Aura_Knight
Rarely seen in the wild
First name: Aura
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Shadow_Aura_Knight »

I have been super quiet on the subject of my level's existence, because it is not good. I just hope I placed like at all, and wasn't thrown out for being even worse than garbage tier!
Woah.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I don't really watch raocow these days unless he's playing smw hacks so it is actually exciting [ed: honestly] for it be raocow season again. I look forward to my level placing somewhere and there being some opinions about it.

I may as well mention my favourite levels
ft029: one exit had nothing to do with the key, but it doesn't matter very much -- excellent vanilla level of the bizarre sort that I love.

lazy: there were some obstacles that seemed rather too intricate if you had a power-up (thwomp + urchin, keys + ball) but this is a mere quibble -- the level looks fantastic is a marvellous spin on my box-derived disaster.

yogui: (I believe, along with Rextep and myself, the joint-holder of the title of MaGL's Most Enthusiastic Competitor) a typically weird/fun level from the master of such levels. The counting part I don't approve of (you can game over there, and if you've collected lives assiduously throughout nothing will matter at the final choice).
dont wanna jihad no more
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

funny how

-2 of your 3 "favorites" are based on your own levels
-the other one uses a piece of music also used in your own level (eh, this argument isn't very good but it's still worth mentioning)
Mosts Awards:
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

morsel/morceau wrote:I may as well mention my favourite levels
whoops, looks like you forgot one! Understandable, mine's so good you probably just assumed it was a retail game when you played it.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

i didn't play all the levels, but i have also a favorites list:
fausthieb - nice detail and little secrets, the gimmick was well used in quantity
gameguy888 - very mazy, but not too mazy, excellent use of switch-blocks
frozenquills - very solid level, has a nice "Yoshi Island 1" feeling, clever use of switch-blocks
nothobz
of the jungle

Post by nothobz »

tbh i only played lazy's and idol's (and the beginning of morsels but that thwimp was getting on my nerves so i stopped :oops: ), and i enjoyed both of them. I found Lazy's very intersting because it almost felt like a puzzle game kind of design. rather than being a platformer with a gimmick influencing the design it felt very strictly gimmick oriented, segmented on a screen-by-screen basis exploring the gimmick in as many ways as possible. I hope im explaining this right, it's a little complicated to get at, but it was a ver different approach to level design, for me at least. idols was ok i guess.

very very excited to see raocow play my entry. like the kind of excited where you get all giddy. i just wish i didn't have to wait 70 days to see my entry! (hopefully much less if he doubles up on the shorter entries)
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

im really digging how competitive this magl is, adds a whole extra level of intensity

i've yet to try out any of the entries (other than mine of course), so i'm excited for rao's lp
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

nothobz wrote:i just wish i didn't have to wait 70 days to see my entry!
Ehh, I think you'll only need to wait a week at most ;)
Mosts Awards:
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

@hobz you explained it very well actually! it's the type of design that I enjoy doing (and playing) the most simply because of the creative freedom. works really well for smw hacks imo. there's a lot of this stuff being made over at JUMP1/2 and some of it is pretty stunning

anyway, my personal favorites are ft's, lolyoshi's, morsel's, and FrozenQuills's. I'm pretty excited about this - it's an actual Jolly Competition unlike the recent smwc contests.
Last edited by Lazy_ 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old