(shouting)

Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

Post by Mandew »

Truckeeben wrote:Another noob question which probably just amounts to me missing something obvious, but where are just regular question blocks? I can only find flying and invisible ones

I also can't find the guide line things or the platforms that move on them but I haven't looked around on the internet for where those are yet because I'm kinda trying to take this one map at a time
The Question Blocks are in the Add Objects window (icon: Yellow Block with 2 dotted eyes, left of the Baby Blue Yoshi [Add Sprite Window])

The ones containing coins are in the Standard Objects, and the ones containing powerups are in the Extended Objects (or you can use the search bar, typing "Flower" or "Feather" or "Yoshi")
video games
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

FrozenQuills wrote:If anyone needs help with how to design levels, I highly suggest watching this video.
I find this method very effective in showing off a gimmick.

What's that "non-threatening" he keeps talking about? :P
Also, I'd say lolyoshi and worldpeace are very good at that type of level design.
Mosts Awards:
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

I'm in. This'll need to be made using ZSNES since 9X does not play well with my system, and I don't have time to go fiddling with other emus now. Hope it won't be an issue.

Now, forgive the noob questions, for I am a noob; but I am going to need to know some basics such as merging tile and sprite sets so they don't glitch out.

I'll also need to know how to create a custom object. It's just something innocuous; akin to a bush or whatever. (It's not even that vital to my overall level, either; just a silly little scene for the goal room.)

I'll also need this music (I can't find it on SMWC):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2AntCzNc0

I may have further questions, so stay tuned.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

EvilMariobot wrote: I'll also need this music (I can't find it on SMWC):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2AntCzNc0
here you go
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

does anyone else use higan? it's been installed on my pc for the longest time and I don't know when or why I installed it, but it's excellent
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
LucasRCD
Nothing to see here, besides a guy who needs to become more active on the site.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by LucasRCD »

A good way to introduce a gimmick is to take a look at most Mega Man games. They first introduce the gimmick in a situation where you can't really die, and then proceeds to develop it further down their respective stages, with the last instance of them ending on an insta-death pit/spiked floor. I guess that's what the guy was referring to when he said "non-threatening."
Ugh...
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Okay, so I downloaded Lunar Magic, and I can't do any editing with it. All of the icons except for the layer icons are greyed out. How am I supposed to make them available to me? Sorry for such a beginner question... I can't really begin operating programs like this on my own.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

DId you open a ROM? It's not like SMBX where you're directly working in the engine - you have to load a clean .smc file to start.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Yeah, I have no idea on how to open a blank ROM... I think I'll be able to handle the rest of the process beyond that.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Yeah, I have no idea on how to open a blank ROM... I think I'll be able to handle the rest of the process beyond that.
You'll need to get a clean rom of Super Mario World from somewhere. You'll have to figure that part on your own.

And then you just make a backup (very important) and use Lunar Magic's "Open ROM..." dialogue to open it.
video games
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Mandew wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Yeah, I have no idea on how to open a blank ROM... I think I'll be able to handle the rest of the process beyond that.
You'll need to get a clean rom of Super Mario World from somewhere. You'll have to figure that part on your own.

And then you just make a backup (very important) and use Lunar Magic's "Open ROM..." dialogue to open it.
Does it have to be the base game, or just a romhack that uses the base graphics? Because a base rom of SMW is harder to find than I thought....
(It was about time)
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:
Mandew wrote:

Does it have to be the base game, or just a romhack that uses the base graphics? Because a base rom of SMW is harder to find than I thought....
You technically can use a ROMhack with the base graphics, but in order to create an IPS patch, once you're done, you'll absolutely need the base game.
video games
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Mandew wrote:You technically can use a ROMhack with the base graphics, but in order to create an IPS patch, once you're done, you'll absolutely need the base game.
*sigh*

...Is there a place I can know that I'm downloading actual SMW, and not some cheap bootleg? (I really, REALLY don't want to have viruses or just unwanted programs from this if I can help it...)
EDIT: I think I got the base SMW ROM. Now I need to find out how to properly open it with Snes9x, and figure out if I even downloaded it correctly....
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(It was about time)
leod
Be careful when including any personal details.

Post by leod »

You'll know that it's a bootleg by the fact that you can't open it in LM.
Not that I've EVER come across anything like a bootleg SMW ROM or one paired up with a virus, game ROMs aren't exactly a prime market for that.
Not to mention an SMW ROM is .smc, so it's not like you would ever execute a theoretical virus you download...
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

this bbcode is defined in bbcode.php
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

Pyro wrote: here you go
Thanks a bunch.

I'm slowly getting the hang of LM, but I still need to know how to merge tilesets, because My level uses underground lava in a castle tileset. Do I need Blocktool or something for this, or if I want to add a decorative piece to a room made to look like Bowser's Room?
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

EvilMariobot wrote:
Pyro wrote: here you go
Thanks a bunch.

I'm slowly getting the hang of LM, but I still need to know how to merge tilesets, because My level uses underground lava in a castle tileset. Do I need Blocktool or something for this, or if I want to add a decorative piece to a room made to look like Bowser's Room?
Here's a quick and dirty way to do this:

Note that all your regular old stone blocks are going to turn into slopes when you do this.
I'm working on the remedy for that.

Another thing is that the castle animated features are going to not carry over (background candle light circles and escalators) - there's not really any quick and dirty remedy to that, you'd really just need to ExAnimate the lava tiles yourself at that point.

Edit: Image
How to import a .map16 file into Lunar Magic (file in the attachment)

Note 2.0: The spikes are rigged to act like munchers - this is important, since Silver P switches will make munchers act like coins.

Edit2: Make sure that the tiles you're importing are put on Page 2 or further.
Attachments
castletiles.zip
Castle Map16 tiles
(421 Bytes) Downloaded 42 times
video games
Truckeeben

Post by Truckeeben »

Are there any rules about having other people playtest your levels? I'm doing a bit of a puzzle level and it's hard to know from playing it if it's too hard or not, because I made it so I know exactly what to do.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Nope, go nuts.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Speaking of that... how do you playtest levels in Lunar Magic? (I did get it working...) I'm still learning the ropes, so apologies for the flood of posts in the thread.
(It was about time)
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Speaking of that... how do you playtest levels in Lunar Magic? (I did get it working...) I'm still learning the ropes, so apologies for the flood of posts in the thread.
The way I did it was I put my level in a folder with lunarmagic and my other programs, and then I copied my emulator and pasted it in the folder.
There's a button in the "File" tab named Emulator. Thats about it!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
KirbyComment

Post by KirbyComment »

How do I allow myself to change the level name in a SMW rom I'm using that has extended level names (2 rows of text)? I tried using the "texthack.asm" patch and apply it to my ROM, but it keeps saying I need to add ";@xkas" at the top, but when I do that, it won't find the ASM file.

It would certainly be important for your level to have a level name I assume. Also what I find weird is that the level names in-game, do not correspond with the level names in Lunar Magic, so like Level 10 for example has a different name in the in-game overworld than it does in Lunar Magic. Maybe because I couldn't apply the texthack patch, but I dunno.

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, it's appreciated. To note, I had the ASM and SMC file in the same folder as "asar.exe".
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ok, so a problem I'm having with my level is
I'm making a forest level, and the top of the giant tree trunk is cut off
And as well is when the giant tree trunk is in front of the ground, mario just falls through it
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Slimeman01 wrote:Ok, so a problem I'm having with my level is
I'm making a forest level, and the top of the giant tree trunk is cut off
And as well is when the giant tree trunk is in front of the ground, mario just falls through it
For your second problem:

For your first problem: import attached set of Map16 tiles and use them through Map16 Direct Access (Lunar Magic) in the Add Objects window (they will be on Page 2 by default).

How to import map16:

map16 file in the attachment (just make sure to unzip it before trying to import it)
Attachments
treetop.zip
treetop map16 file
(272 Bytes) Downloaded 58 times
video games
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Mandew you are selling yourself as a kind and helpful soul here. I am most likely going to bug you if I have problems I can't fix `~`
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!