(shouting)

Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

Post by raekuul »

2) You use [ url] [/ url] tags, not <a href> </a>

3) You can just put the video in youtube tags directly.

Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

raekuul wrote:2) You use [ url] [/ url] tags, not <a href> </a>

3) You can just put the video in youtube tags directly.

Thanks.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Progress has been slow, though I did figure out how to make some graphics.
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

Hello, sorry if I'm posting again, but no one has tried to answer my question about why the graphics are garbled in the game or how to make them appear properly.
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin
Pronouns: she/her

Post by kuposan3 »

good grief i forgot how to deal with the sprite limits in smw

i am gonna enter a level though!
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

kuposan3 wrote:good grief i forgot how to deal with the sprite limits in smw
if you aren't planning on using a ton of patches or fancy stuff, you should use the sa-1 patch. pretty much removes slowdown and allows you to have more sprites on screen at once.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

Am I just missing something, or is there no way to make a question block that always has a regular ol' super mushroom in it? I know I can put in a fireflower or a feather which would turn into mushrooms if you didn't have one, but that can't be the only way, can it?

(Or a question block with a 1-up, but I do see the option to make a turn-block have one of those, so that isn't as big an issue.)
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you have to use a yellow ! resprited as a normal ? block if you want it to give a mushroom only forever
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Reecer7

Post by Reecer7 »

Ah, totally forgot I could just resprite blocks as other blocks. Thanks!

But it looks like the yellow switch block isn't in the sprite sheet I'm stuck with, so I guess I'll have to just put all the mushrooms I want to ensure stay mushrooms just on the ground somewhere. :/
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
idol

Post by idol »

Reecer7 wrote:it looks like the yellow switch block isn't in the sprite sheet I'm stuck with
open up your 16x16 tile map editor (the static question block on the top). left click on any question block and right click it a few pages down where it's just those repeated tiles (aka copy the question block and place it in an open area). click on it in the editor & go to "act as", and set that to 16B. it'll be a question block that only ever vomits out mushrooms
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin

Post by kuposan3 »

idol wrote:if you aren't planning on using a ton of patches or fancy stuff, you should use the sa-1 patch. pretty much removes slowdown and allows you to have more sprites on screen at once.
thanks for the advice! i lost all the progress i had already because i don't know how to computer and i patched it wrong at first, but i have it working now and i didn't really lose that much. worth it in the long run to have sprites not disappear.
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i only submitted my level like 2 weeks ago but i already regret everything aaa

but in all seriousness i'm interested in seeing how this contest goes judging by the amount of smbx people joining in. should prove some really interesting level designs
Reecer7

Post by Reecer7 »

Oh, huh, I totally assumed that I couldn't replicate the behavior of any tile that's not actually in the sprite sheet, mostly because of all those objects which have actual different behaviors depending on what sprite sheet you're using. But I guess it doesn't work like that! Thanks for further pointing me in the right direction.
idol

Post by idol »

kuposan3 wrote:i don't know how to computer and i patched it wrong at first
don't forget to make backups a plenty this time. like, a stupid amount of backups. it's better to be safe than sorry.
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

The deadline for this contest will be OCTOBER 1ST, 2016.
So is that at 11:59 P.M. and what time zone?

Is there any chance that it can be extended for a few days? I'm afraid I won't be able to get done w/my level by October 1.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

EST.

Not sure on an extension yet - we'll see how many people want one by the deadline, but as it stands, there likely won't be one.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Have you found a judge from the talkhaus yet?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yes, someone replied almost immediately after I put the message up (and a rather great "someone" at that), so we're covered.
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

So, a question about inserting music.

I'm trying to add this song with AddmusicK 1.0.4: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=14086
but AddmusicKs readme isn't really helping me, so I'll ask here instead. It says something about a .bnk file, but there is non of those inside the.zip of this piece of music.

I would be really happy if someone could just give me a step by step for how to include this song into my level.
Thanks in advance!
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
idol

Post by idol »

it uses .brr instead of .bnk. just copy all the .brr files from your folder, paste them in addmusick's "samples" folder, and then add your song like you would any other (which i do believe the addmusick readme walks you through how to do clearly enough). im not a whiz on smw music so i couldnt tell you the difference between .bnk and .brr, but theyre both added the same as far as i know.
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

Ah, thank you very much. It worked now!
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

Just wondering, but has anyone tried to use the Zidane Bros.? I put it as EXGFX9B in the ROM and inserted the ExGraphics. They appear in the game, but I don't think they're appearing properly b/c the graphics are dark. They come w/two files called ZidaneBro (SP4).pal and ZidaneBro (SP4).palmask, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do w/those files, but I assume they're the graphics. Can anyone please help?
LucasRCD
Nothing to see here, besides a guy who needs to become more active on the site.

Post by LucasRCD »

.pal and .palmask files are used for the palettes. Click in the second star icon from the left to right and select the .pal file. Remember, they both have to be in the same folder, or else the entire palette will be modified instead of the necessary parts.
Ugh...
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

LucasRCD wrote:.pal and .palmask files are used for the palettes. Click in the second star icon from the left to right and select the .pal file. Remember, they both have to be in the same folder, or else the entire palette will be modified instead of the necessary parts.

Thanks, it worked fine, but now I'm trying to insert the song from Super Mario Galaxy when you're inside a haunted house, and I get this error:

Error: File "asm\SNES\patch.asm" not found.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I put the ROM in the directory where Addmusic is, and I have tried everything I could think of. Also, the MSC file is the one on top. Here is a screenshot:

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/1199/Screenshot006.png

I put it as a hyperlink b/c they yelled at me for stretching the tables on SMWCentral.

Edit 1: I deleted the hyphen in the name of the text files in the .msc file so can someone please help as soon as possible? Thanks in advance.
EvilMariobot

Post by EvilMariobot »

In the second room of my level, rotodiscs appear as footballs (I used the level "BACK DOOR" as the base for this room), how do I fix this. Also, is there a way to change the Layer 3 bg into windows, while still keeping the underground lava?

One more issue: I need to know where a "Kill" block is so I don't swim in upside-down lava.