(shouting)

I Wanna Host a Contest - Event Cancelled

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

I Wanna Host a Contest - Event Cancelled

Post by 128-Up »

Welcome to I Wanna Host a Contest!

As you may or may not know, I am a member of the I Wanna Community, a group of people interested in playing and creating fangames of I Wanna be the Guy.
In this contest, I'm giving you - the Talkhaus - an opportunity to put your level design skills to the test.

I have created an engine for you to use in Game Maker 8.0 Pro which combines elements from various existing engines for aiwana games - Lemon, Nikaple, YoYoYo, and Sephalos.

To participate, post in this thread expressing your interest, and I will send you a link to the engine. If you've participated in Pyro's "Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest", then you probably have the basics of Game Maker down, but if you don't, don't panic. I'll be here to help you along.

Information about the Contest!

You will have until August 28th to create at least five screens (note, not five rooms, five screens) to make your level.
There's no upper limit but I personally wouldn't go beyond ten. You can choose to ignore this if you wish, however.

All of the levels will be compiled into a final game that will be released on the I Wanna be the Guy Wiki, so do not put anything graphic in your entry.

Rules:
- There must be at least one screen of platforming. You may code bosses if you wish, but they are not a requirement.
- You must not modify any objects or sprites that exist in the engine. You may, however, duplicate objects and sprites and modify the code/appearance of the duplicate.
- Label all rooms using this format: r(Username)(Room Number) - for example, if I was entering, my first room would be "r128Up1"
- Label all added sprites using this format: spr(Username)_(Sprite Name)
- Label all added objects using the same format as sprites, just without the "spr" at the start
- Your stage must end with a clear screen. One has been provided for you - rClear. This screen does not count towards the five you need to make.
- When submitting your area, notify me in your PM if you have added any new sprites or objects. New sprites must be provided as image files, and new objects must have their information (accessed by clicking "Show Information" in the object window) given to me.
- Your music must be in .ogg format.

Scoring:
- Personal Fun Factor: 25 points
- Other Fun Factor: 25 points
- Creativity: 20 points
- Graphics: 15 points
- Music: 15 points
- Total: 100 points

Judges:
- 128-Up
- Sudnep
- ?
- ?
- ?

Participants:
- Pyro
- qazcake
- 7NameSam
- bossedit8
- MECHDRAGON777
- Zyglrox Odyssey
- cheez8

If you have any questions, feel free to post in the thread. Best of luck to everyone!

FAQ

Q: Can I add <new resource of some kind>?
A: Yes. Just indicate that it's yours. Remember to provide any relevant information.

Q: When I run the game, it's just a white screen!
A: That's the current title screen. Press whatever key you have "jump" mapped to (Shift, by default) to continue.

-----

Using Game Maker (the following is copied/adapted from Pyro's MaGMML guide with her permission)

SETTING UP YOUR FIRST ROOM
- First, create your room by right clicking and copying the room "rTemplate". Click on the "settings" tab in the room editor and change the name to r(Username)(Room Number).
- Next, open the Scripts folder and click on "initSetGlobals". Where "rExample" is, replace it with the name of your new room.
- Then click on "musicFunctions". From there, copy the section below "Stage 1-1" and paste it. Ensure the default section is always at the bottom of the script. Change the case to your first room, and the music to the filepath to your .ogg music track. The filepath must be in quotation marks.

HOW TO USE THE EDITOR
- To place objects, select the "objects" tab on the interface on the leftmost side of the room editor. To select objects, click on the icon with the mouse towards the bottom of the interface. Then, a big popup will pop up, with tons of folders. Move your mouse over the folders to view them. Click on an object to set it to the object you're using, and then left click in the actual room to place it.
- To mass-place objects, hold "Shift" as you place them. To delete objects, right click them. To mass delete objects, just hold down the right mouse button and drag it along the objects you want to delete. To access an object's creation code, hold CTRL and right click it, and choose "Creation Code".
- To place blocks, select the "tiles" tab on the interface. Then, hit the icon with the mouse on it towards the bottom. You can then select from various "backgrounds" to use. Click on the tile you want to use, and place it anywhere.
- Tiles have the same mouse actions as objects, minus the creation code.
- To edit a room's height and width, and to edit its creation code, select 'settings'. DO NOT EDIT THE 'SPEED', 'ROOM CAPTION', OR 'PERSISTENT' options. Note that in order to have proper scrolling, width values must be a multiple of 800, and height values must be a multiple of 608.
- In order to add a background to your level, select 'backgrounds', click on 'Background 0' in the menu, check 'Visible when room starts', and click on the mouse icon to choose between a background. If you want to make your background a solid colour, just click on the box next to the "Color" text and choose your colour.
- To edit your spawn point in the level, select 'views', and edit the X and Y options for 'View in room'.

LEVEL EDITING POINTERS AND TIPS
- Usually, you want to make sure to uncheck the 'Delete underlying' box in the bottom left. Unchecking this box stops Game Maker from deleting objects that intersect each other. The only time you really want this checked is if you're filling blocks, to prevent unnecessary duplicate objects.
- If you have more than one connecting screen in the same room, be sure to place the camera object (found in the "player_etc" folder) somewhere in the room. This will enable flip screen scrolling.

OTHER TIPS
- In the Set Controls room when you load the game, to change controls, click the button in the room you wish to change, then press the new key you want to do that action.
Last edited by 128-Up 7 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Re: I Wanna Host a Contest

Post by snoruntpyro »

i'm in I GUESS
qazcake
A cake masquerading as a burger
First name: qaz

Post by qazcake »

I will try this.
(ib4 all the levels are good game design room levels.)
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

I'll give this a shot!
bossedit8

Post by bossedit8 »

That's gonna be fun I guess... sign me up up up.
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

I guess I may partake, but I may not submit to it...

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

yes please :3
I don't really get it but okay
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Re: I Wanna Host a Contest - 3 weeks to go!

Post by 128-Up »

Half of the contest time has elapsed. I hope your areas are going well!

If you feel stuck for ideas, why not poke around Delicious Fruit for some high-rated fangames? Maybe look at some videos of them or, if you feel bold, download a couple and try them out!
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Re: I Wanna Host a Contest - One Week Remaining!

Post by 128-Up »

You have one week before the deadline expires! If I don't see a sufficient number of entries, I am open to an extension, but I'd rather it didn't come to that.

Pyro wrote:

qazcake wrote:

7NameSam wrote:

bossedit8 wrote:

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:

cheez8 wrote:

Best of luck to everyone!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
qazcake
A cake masquerading as a burger
First name: qaz

Re: I Wanna Host a Contest - Entries Due by August 28th!

Post by qazcake »

Gonna have to drop. I dont have time to finish a whole thing in a week.
bossedit8

Re: I Wanna Host a Contest - Entries Due by August 28th!

Post by bossedit8 »

qazcake wrote:Gonna have to drop. I dont have time to finish a whole thing in a week.
Pretty much same here... I feel kinda sad to drop it just for the lack of time and me forgetting about it but I had some kind of fun experiencing Game Maker. Maybe another time or whenever I make a IWBTG based game out of it but we'll see...
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Re: I Wanna Host a Contest - Event Cancelled

Post by 128-Up »

Due to the rapidly decreasing number of participants so close to the deadline, I have decided to cancel the contest.

Sorry.

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.