As you may or may not know, I am a member of the I Wanna Community, a group of people interested in playing and creating fangames of I Wanna be the Guy.
In this contest, I'm giving you - the Talkhaus - an opportunity to put your level design skills to the test.
I have created an engine for you to use in Game Maker 8.0 Pro which combines elements from various existing engines for aiwana games - Lemon, Nikaple, YoYoYo, and Sephalos.
To participate, post in this thread expressing your interest, and I will send you a link to the engine. If you've participated in Pyro's "Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest", then you probably have the basics of Game Maker down, but if you don't, don't panic. I'll be here to help you along.
Information about the Contest!
You will have until August 28th to create at least five screens (note, not five rooms, five screens) to make your level.
There's no upper limit but I personally wouldn't go beyond ten. You can choose to ignore this if you wish, however.
All of the levels will be compiled into a final game that will be released on the I Wanna be the Guy Wiki, so do not put anything graphic in your entry.
- There must be at least one screen of platforming. You may code bosses if you wish, but they are not a requirement.
- You must not modify any objects or sprites that exist in the engine. You may, however, duplicate objects and sprites and modify the code/appearance of the duplicate.
- Label all rooms using this format: r(Username)(Room Number) - for example, if I was entering, my first room would be "r128Up1"
- Label all added sprites using this format: spr(Username)_(Sprite Name)
- Label all added objects using the same format as sprites, just without the "spr" at the start
- Your stage must end with a clear screen. One has been provided for you - rClear. This screen does not count towards the five you need to make.
- When submitting your area, notify me in your PM if you have added any new sprites or objects. New sprites must be provided as image files, and new objects must have their information (accessed by clicking "Show Information" in the object window) given to me.
- Your music must be in .ogg format.
- Personal Fun Factor: 25 points
- Other Fun Factor: 25 points
- Creativity: 20 points
- Graphics: 15 points
- Music: 15 points
- Total: 100 points
- Zyglrox Odyssey
If you have any questions, feel free to post in the thread. Best of luck to everyone!
Q: Can I add <new resource of some kind>?
A: Yes. Just indicate that it's yours. Remember to provide any relevant information.
Q: When I run the game, it's just a white screen!
A: That's the current title screen. Press whatever key you have "jump" mapped to (Shift, by default) to continue.
Using Game Maker (the following is copied/adapted from Pyro's MaGMML guide with her permission)